• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That's not it. What does CSS? This problem affects all three different browsers.
CSS is what styles a typical HTML page.

With Firefox, open the Network Inspector (Firefox > Web Developer > Network). Refresh the page, and click on the "Type" column to sort things by type.

Look for CSS and see if the response was okay. It will say a size and a number for speed in milliseconds (ms). If it failed it won't say either of those.

CSS is what styles a typical HTML page.

With Firefox, open the Network Inspector (Firefox > Web Developer > Network). Refresh the page, and click on the "Type" column to sort things by type.

Look for CSS and see if the response was okay. It will say a size and a number for speed in milliseconds (ms). If it failed it won't say either of those.

It says perform a request or reload the page to see. How do I perform a request? I'm sorry, but I'm really bad at scripts and stuff behind the scenes.

Mr_Zombie

It says perform a request or reload the page to see. How do I perform a request? I'm sorry, but I'm really bad at scripts and stuff behind the scenes.

Just reload the page (F5) with Network Inspector opened on Network tab. It should then show you a list of items (html files, javascript scripts, css styles, images) that were downloaded for the page.

Also, try to clear Firefox's cache first. Go to History -> Clear Recent History and select "Everything" for time range and "Cache" in Details. Just to be sure that it's not the fault of faulty cache and that the browser doesn't try to use data that it previously cached.

Just reload the page (F5) with Network Inspector opened on Network tab. It should then show you a list of items (html files, javascript scripts, css styles, images) that were downloaded for the page.

Also, try to clear Firefox's cache first. Go to History -> Clear Recent History and select "Everything" for time range and "Cache" in Details. Just to be sure that it's not the fault of faulty cache and that the browser doesn't try to use data that it previously cached.

I cleared the Cache and nothing. What am I supposed to be looking after I reload the pages? I see a lot of words and numbers but those I don't understand any of it :(

Mr_Zombie

I cleared the Cache and nothing. What am I supposed to be looking after I reload the pages? I see a lot of words and numbers but those I don't understand any of it :(

GlIGfrR.jpg

Look for rows that have "css" in the type column (as the one selected in my picture). You can also filter rows so that only CSS files will be visible (button pointed by bottom red arrow). If there's no rows with "css" type, then that means your browser managed to download and cached those files and doesn't download them anymore, so just clear your cache and try again.

If you press the last upper button (pointed by upper-right arrow) you will open Headers pane. With the pane opened click on the row with css file and look for its status. If it's anything other than "200 OK", then that means there's something wrong and browser couldn't download styles for that page for some reason.

It would be the best if you could post a screenshot of the pane with both "response header" and "request headers" visible.

Look for rows that have "css" in the type column (as the one selected in my picture). You can also filter rows so that only CSS files will be visible (button pointed by bottom red arrow). If there's no rows with "css" type, then that means your browser managed to download and cached those files and doesn't download them anymore, so just clear your cache and try again.

If you press the last upper button (pointed by upper-right arrow) you will open Headers pane. With the pane opened click on the row with css file and look for its status. If it's anything other than "200 OK", then that means there's something wrong and browser couldn't download styles for that page for some reason.

It would be the best if you could post a screenshot of the pane with both "response header" and "request headers" visible.

Ok, I selected Clear History>Selected Cache>Be sure it said all. Then I went to a site I know doesn't work properly (Cracked) and did and reloaded the page.

I'm sorry for using Imageshack but Imgur is one of the sites that won't work.

Edit: Better picture.

If that's happening with all your browsers, then it has to be some kind of anti-virsus/firewall issue.

b3c2d40569ba8bad265079ccd0c59c2a.PNG

I just reformated my computer, is an Asus. I don't have any anti-virus that I think because the computer won't let me install anything. How do I work around the firewall issue? I assume it might had some default firewall that's blocking anything then :)

PGamer

fucking juniors
I just reformated my computer, is an Asus. I don't have any anti-virus that I think because the computer won't let me install anything. How do I work around the firewall issue? I assume it might had some default firewall that's blocking anything then :)

That might be part of the problem...

hirokazu

Have you tried another computer that goes through the same network/firewall?

That'll help you potentially cross out the firewall as the culprit. Sounds like your computer's messed up if you can't install anything. Is it your own computer, or is like locked down by your employer, school or whatever?

Have you tried another computer that goes through the same network/firewall?

That'll help you potentially cross out the firewall as the culprit. Sounds like your computer's messed up if you can't install anything. Is it your own computer, or is like locked down by your employer, school or whatever?

It's my own computer. I did a factory reset recently. I was using Internet Explorer just fine, trying to start downloading Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus. As it was the only thing that keep my PC from dying (It was slow to a crawl but It keep deleting viruses daily) but most sites appear like I told before. Once I got Firefox it said some plug ins where outdated. Those where Silverlight, Shockwave Flash and Adobe Acrobat. I managed to download silverlight and flash even though neither site work through Softtonic but I disable Acrobat. I don't know if it's the plug ins but it's weird because like I said it affects the 3 browsers.

I have a Laptop, no other computers are connected to my wifi network.

Prepare yourself: Australis landing on Firefox Nightly on Monday

If things go as planned, Mozilla will move the controversial interface update for its Firefox browser to the browser's Nightly channel on Monday, November 18th.

Up until now, Australis was tested in special UX Builds of the browser and not available in any of the regular release channels of it.

The push to the Nightly channel marks the beginning of the final part of Australis' development. From there, it will remain in Nightly for the next release cycle (Firefox 29 Nightly) and then be moved through the other release channels to land in Firefox Stable finally on April 15th if things go according to Mozilla's release plans.

When it is released in Firefox Stable, which will happen when Firefox 29 comes along as it appears right now, it has been deployed to all versions of the browser that Mozilla maintains with the exception of the ESR versions which will receive Australis at a later point in time.

Mozilla does not that it will hold back Australis if required. The company will maintain a temporary branch of Firefox -- codenamed holly -- which does not included Australis.

Australis may break some add-ons. Fixes may be trivial for some, while others may require more work, Mozilla notes. Firefox users are encouraged to file bugs about broken add-ons.

I'm honestly pissed as hell. I have no idea what's causing the trouble, I'm afraid I might had to do yet another reboot which sucks so much.

neoism

so guys starting at like 5 o clock est gaf has been real slow.... sometimes taking 2000 ms to load a page and sometimes not... Im running FF22 because 23 basically fucks my computer completely Im not risking dl 25 or whatever... has the site been slow for anyone else.. I used chrome and it did the same thing not really sure if its a FF thing or not... but it was work fast as usual about 2est ...its usually 200ms... to respond... I click all my other site I go to all the time and they load normally I haven't changed anything today... I just noticed gaf was being really sloooooow but its been happening now for like 5 hours...

also Firefox’s Australis can go fuck its self..... thing it my be time to go to chrome or something else.... :/
neogaf.com.png
in chrome ff is similar... :/

beat

Holy Shit, I just did a clean factory reset and the problem still persists. What the fuck is going on, could it be my connection?

Edit: Yep, just connected to my phone and the sites magically work again. I don't even know what's real anymore.

Mr_Zombie

Holy Shit, I just did a clean factory reset and the problem still persists. What the fuck is going on, could it be my connection?

Edit: Yep, just connected to my phone and the sites magically work again. I don't even know what's real anymore.

Do you use a router? Because if it isn't the computer, then maybe there's something messed up with router's settings.

Alternatively, assuming you have a smartphone (or a classic cellphone that can connect to wifi and has an Internet browser), if you connect your phone to your wifi network, do sites still have problems with css, js and various plugins on your phone's browser?

Do you use a router? Because if it isn't the computer, then maybe there's something messed up with router's settings.

Alternatively, assuming you have a smartphone (or a classic cellphone that can connect to wifi and has an Internet browser), if you connect your phone to your wifi network, do sites still have problems with css, js and various plugins on your phone's browser?

I've tried it, and yep the sites on desktop mode don't work either on my Phone. This is so weird.

Arkanius

Australis just landed on my Nightly Firefox
And it broke my OneLiner plugin. Great.

I hate wasting vertical space. Is there any way to bring tabs to the same line as the URL bar (Like Internet Explorer?)

Poor choice taking the bookmark button away, now it takes longer to get to the bookmarks sidebar. Moving the star from the address bar was also stupid.

Arkanius

It's such a waste of space.
I moved to Firefox for customization, now I'm being force fed Chrome's UI :(

Is performance supposed to increase? Smooth scrolling is way more smooth on my end. (Windows)

Mr_Zombie

It's such a waste of space.
I moved to Firefox for customization, now I'm being force fed Chrome's UI :(

I agree. I've been using Australis for few weeks now and I'm in a love/hate relationship with it. On one hand, it's pretty. On the other hand, it's not functional when you have a lot of add-ons. Being forced to either put your add-ons icons next to search bar or hide them under the menu button is simply wrong. Why can't Mozilla at least allow to enable add-on bar?

Persona7

Banned
26 should be out soon, My friend said it was available on the FTP but now it says

Thanks for your interest in Firefox 26.0
We aren't quite finished qualifying Firefox 26.0 yet. You should check out the latest Beta.

When we're all done with Firefox 26.0 it will show up on Firefox.com.

This version includes memshrink and the click to play plugin whitelist.

hateradio

Firefox uses Windows' built in CODECs to play MP3 and MP4s on the browser. You could start it in Safe Mode and try playing an MP3. If it doesn't crash then it's probably an extension, otherwise it's probably some odd configuration.

Arkanius

Firefox uses Windows' built in CODECs to play MP3 and MP4s on the browser. You could start it in Safe Mode and try playing an MP3. If it doesn't crash then it's probably an extension, otherwise it's probably some odd configuration.

It crashes in Safemode. I have tried installing WMP, updating my CCCP codec pack, changing the default file opening settings. It seems nothing fixes this.

hateradio

It crashes in Safemode. I have tried installing WMP, updating my CCCP codec pack, changing the default file opening settings. It seems nothing fixes this.
You wouldn't need CCCP or anything for this to work on Windows 7 and 8. I'm not sure what could be causing the error.

inm8num2

I have a strange problem that arose a few days ago. My History by "Last Visited" no longer shows any pages, and searching brings up nothing. The other view types (Most Visited, Site, Date, Date + Site) show history just fine and are searchable.

I still have all my history, but the "Last Visited" view seems to be broken. If I keep the History by Last Visited sidebar open and visit a page, that page appears in the sidebar. If I close and open the sidebar it's gone.

I don't know if I accidentally pressed some hotkey or what. Didn't change any settings before this happened. Didn't go into about:config. Really not sure what the issue is, but it's a pain as I rely on the "Last Visited" history bar. Anybody have an idea what might be the problem? Thanks.

tl;dr - browser keeps history but doesn't show it in "Last Visited" view.

DiscoJer

I'm still using Firefox 3.6 because I don't understand the UI of newer versions. But now websites like Youtube and Yahoo mail are starting to bitch about me still using it.

Is there anything that will let sites be fooled into thinking I am using a more up to date version?

MrBig

I'm still using Firefox 3.6 because I don't understand the UI of newer versions. But now websites like Youtube and Yahoo mail are starting to bitch about me still using it.

Is there anything that will let sites be fooled into thinking I am using a more up to date version?

Firefox UI is pretty modular with the default skin, and there are all sorts of addons you can use to change it further than the stock abilities. I'm sure there's a way to update and get it back to the way you're used to if you really don't want to learn the new UI.

neoanarch

You are a monster. The UI is pretty easy to learn. Plus like Big said its still customizable.

PGamer

fucking juniors

I suppose you could potentially spoof your user agent to try to get around that but really you should upgrade to the newest version. 3.6 is close to four years old at this point and there's no getting around the outdated standards support which will catch up to you sooner or later. It's pretty easy to get the modern Firefox UI looking similar to the version 3 one if you honestly can't live without it.

Road

Left: 3.6. Right: 26
fx3.6vs262cpek.png

That's without any addon installed, just changing the browser options.

Now, I'm not gonna be disingenuous and say there aren't differences, there are, but the biggest I can think of is that the status bar is gone (you need an extensionif you want it back.)

Now, the real UI shitstorm is coming with Australis... *gag*

It does seem like they're gonna railroad that one to all FF users whether they like or not without a classic/legacy UI option. *blech*

Hope addons will emerge providing a way to revert back to the current UI. I've no idea why they're trying to ape Chrome.

OT:- I really like the Windows Classic theme you've got going there lol. Currently using it myself.

Mr_Zombie

I'm still using Firefox 3.6 because I don't understand the UI of newer versions.

I just want to tell you that for many web developers you are now like an IE6 user who doesn't want to either upgrade or change his browser because of reasons. I hate you. :mad:

I just wish they would give me statusbar back. That's all I want. I don't understand why are they trying to force minimalism by sacrificing usability. Having all your add-ons either take up space next to the search box or being hidden under an additional button is not a good thing.

YoungHav

Banned
I have two FF questions:

1) PC: I have a 2008 laptop w/4GB RAM. Firefox often freezes it (I am up to date on version). If I roll back and get an older version of FF would that make me more susceptible to viruses and malware?

2) Android: I just abandoned Chrome and decided to try FF for android. I like FF better but I am getting ad pop ups on my phone ever since. Is this normal? or does my phone have a virus?

Schrade

I have two FF questions:

1) PC: I have a 2008 laptop w/4GB RAM. Firefox often freezes it (I am up to date on version). If I roll back and get an older version of FF would that make me more susceptible to viruses and malware?

2) Android: I just abandoned Chrome and decided to try FF for android. I like FF better but I am getting ad pop ups on my phone ever since. Is this normal? or does my phone have a virus?
1) If you are running Windows 7 64-bit I'd recommend checking out Pale Moon instead of Firefox. They remove a lot of the bloat and backwards UI choices that Mozilla has done plus they compile it with CPU optimizations to make it pretty speedy for lower end systems.

2) Many apps have popup ads when you exit them or use them.

Best to install Adblock Plus for Android and block all ads from apps if that bugs you.

If the popups are happening in Firefox just install Adblock Plus for Firefox and make sure you whitelist NeoGAF and other sites you want to support.

Top Bottom