• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

wandering

Banned
- Middle Eastern thriller-drama
- Bleak suspense thriller
- Kafkaesque metaphorical nightmare
- Intense crime thriller
- Unorthodox first contact sci-fi adaptation
- Major sequel to classic genre film

That's one varied and impressive resume so far

Which one is Sicario, and which one is Prisoners?

Also you forgot Polytechnique

3.png

duckroll

That movie had me fucking shooked.

For real. A rare film which left me shellshocked in awe at the end. A mythological telling of a modern parable on war and family. I liked Villeneuve before that, but after watching that he became a god of cinema.

I still need to see Incendies for myself. Seen bits and pieces of it and tried a few times to find a copy of the film to watch, only to come up short. I'll probably buckle down and chock up the money to buy the film blind in a few months, once I'm in a better spot to afford it financially.

I would agree with you on Star Wars and superhero movies

But not here, mainly because the situation isn’t really the same at all. For one, Blade Runner doesn’t have a massive perpetual motion drive of hype and “must be good” excitement that would underline the other series/genre. If anything, it’s the opposite of that; it’s the notion that the movie couldn’t be as good as the original, people doubting that it could, and how could anyone try to do a sequel to that classic movie, like The Thing prequel or Terminator Genisys

And two, Blade Runner may be a classic but it’s a niche classic that doesn’t exactly have the kind of appeal and foundations that leads to easy wild praise like a Star Wars or Superman or Jurassic Park or whatnot. It’s a PKD adaptation + noir + cyberpunk + philosophical questiond and subtext about what it means to be human.

Basically, I trust high praise of a high concept hard sci-fi movie over the same for a superhero movie because the bar for such praise is way higher than the latter. Like if Mute or Annihilation got tons of praise in early impressions, would you be as skeptical as if it was the next Marvel movie?

Thinking about it, these are good points. It's not the same situation as a Star War or super hero film, and the early impressions do hold a little more weight as a result.

I still think that being tied to Blade Runner is going to colour people's expectations and perhaps impressions to an extent. The original might be niche compared to most "big" properties, but it is critically revered and it's unlikely any of these reviewers would be unfamiliar with it. Hard to say what effect this would have on impressions (could be negative, like you pointed out) but in general I would put more stock in early impressions of a new/unknown property.

Still, these early impressions are certainly promising. Can't really deny it's a positive sign! I'm just going to hold off for a while before putting the crow in the oven.

Pachinko

I'm interested in where this goes ... Ridley Scott not directing it himself is a huge bonus after crap like Promethius and Covenent. Having a small link to the original helps ... but it's got the director of The Arrival - a divisive film which I really enjoyed last year.

Now some positive word of mouth based on early screenings ? I mean the early stuff like this wouldn't exist if it wasn't positive (there would likely be an NDA of some kind) but it's still a little promising.

Might have to subject a couple friends to the original movie followed by the sequel at some point. (not everyone I know has seen it and I didn't end up watching it until a couple years ago myself).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I haven't watched anything at all from this movie yet. My expectations are at their lowest.

I expect a stupid Ridley Scott plot regardless of who writes or directs this. Something like:

Whatshisface is sent to retire Harrison Ford.
The voigth kampf test was bullshit, it never worked.
Only Batty was actually a replicant, the three others just thought they were.
Batty knew a world changing secret, and this was why Deckard was called to kill him and his buddies even if they weren't replicants, because he could have told them about it so they had to be eliminated! The replicant hunt was a cover!

The secret was that Tyrell corp had been secretly pumping out a new generation of aging replicants who would slowly replace the humans. Now even the president is a replicant!!!

A CGed younger looking Eldon Tyrell is the last boss and it's full of dumb Jesus anti-christ parallels crap.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, what?

It really isn't. It's fantasy that's set in space. I mean, it doesn't fit with the normal conventions of sci-fi movies. But that doesn't take or give anything good or bad to the franchise. I still enjoy it very much so.

It really isn't. It's fantasy that's set in space. I mean, it doesn't fit with the normal conventions of sci-fi movies. But that doesn't take or give anything good or bad to the franchise. I still enjoy it very much so.
Do you consider Dune to be science fiction?

Edit: While some aspects of Star Wars certainly fall under science-fantasy, most don't. Most fall under pulp space opera. Star Wars is most definitely sci-fi, mixed with science-fantasy elements. I mean, you can say the force and Jedi and whatnot make it not sci-fi, but then you'd have to disregard the sprawling space empire, the spaceships and FTL travel, the AI and robots, the city planets and various alien cultures, and other classic sci-fi hallmarks that also make up Star Wars

I say all the time Star Wars is a series about space wizards, and if it all took place on one planet I'd agree with you.

But they have space ships.

Incendies > Sicario > Enemy > Prisoners > Arrival

He's a pretty exciting director. I don't like him as much as Nolan but he's the closest analogous director to him right now and certainly handles some things better such as exposition

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Edit: While some aspects of Star Wars certainly fall under science-fantasy, most don't. Most fall under pulp space opera. Star Wars is most definitely sci-fi, mixed with science-fantasy elements. I mean, you can say the force and Jedi and whatnot make it not sci-fi, but then you'd have to disregard the sprawling space empire, the spaceships and FTL travel, the AI and robots, the city planets and various alien cultures, and other classic sci-fi hallmarks that also make up Star Wars
It think the thought is that those are window dressing around the actual plot and themes.

It think the thought is that those are window dressing around the actual plot and themes.
So if a plot can be transplanted elsewhere, or to some other settings because the genre elements are not directly linked to the themes, then it isn't part of said genre? You can say that for countless stories across myriad genres.

I mean, some of the most popular westerns are quite literally samurai stories transplanted to the wild west and replacing ronin for gunslinger and so on. Even Star Wars drew tons of inspiration from Kurosawa

Dr Bass

A spaceship does not a sci-fi make. Also there is no "AI" in Star Wars. Star Wars is clearly a fantasy series set in space.

Incendies is pretty tough, be prepared for that. I really like that movie, but you can see how much better he has gotten when you look at the technical side of things.

Harrison Ford has a message for everyone arguing about whether Star Wars is scifi or fantasy:

giphy.gif

Star Wars is fantasy Sci-Fi.

Moonkid

I'm liking this acknowledgement of Incendies a lot. It's probably the film that has me feeling reassured the most for BR2049.

A spaceship does not a sci-fi make. Also there is no "AI" in Star Wars. Star Wars is clearly a fantasy series set in space.
Like half the droids in Star Wars are self-aware machines.

I mean, it's pretty clear that the universe is too broad to stuff Star Wars into the "it's fantasy" category. Any Star Wars story without Jedis, Sith, or the Force is very clearly a sci-fi story: clones, aliens, advanced technology, space travel and space ships and faster-than-light drives, laser guns, space empires and galactic war, and so on. It's all very pulp sci-fi/space opera.

NimbusD

Genuinely shocked. Not because people involved aren't good, just that when has anything like this actually succeeded critically.

overcast

If it gets great reviews, let's say 90% or above, you guys think it'll put this movie anywhere near a solid BO gross?

Primary concerns even if it's critically acclaimed are the long run time, if it's anything like the first I can see it being divisive for the "casual" crowd, and this shit cost 185 million to make.

If it gets great reviews, let's say 90% or above, you guys think it'll put this movie anywhere near a solid BO gross?

Primary concerns even if it's critically acclaimed are the long run time, if it's anything like the first I can see it being divisive for the "casual" crowd, and this shit cost 185 million to make.

It's apparently a slow burning near 3 hour hard sci-fi film... good luck finding box office success! I'm amazed this was green lit with a budget that high, honestly.

This should give you a good idea of possible box office success: http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc&page=1&ref_=adv_prv

SiteSeer

with a dedicated enough fan base, i'm sure they'll milk it for years to come. bluray, 4k. 8k. 3d. vr. etc. etc.

It's apparently a slow burning near 3 hour hard sci-fi film... good luck finding box office success! I'm amazed this was green lit with a budget that high, honestly.

This should give you a good idea of possible box office success: http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc&page=1&ref_=adv_prv
If Arrival - an unorthodox first contact sci-fi story that revolves around linguistics - can make over $200 million, I think a new Blade Runner will at least make back its budget

I'm thinking Arrival + about 50 million with great reviews. Worldwide I mean.

It's still Blade Runner, a cult classic. I think it will do 300M-500M. Which, to be fair, is a pretty wide range, but I can see this either having really long legs, or not really resonating with the audience.

This may be a slow-burn noir thriller drama, but that'll appeal to way more people than Arrival IMO
Yeah, the marketing campaign could make people thing that this is more of an action movie, which again, could affect WoM in a bad way.

Incendies > Sicario > Enemy > Prisoners > Arrival

He's a pretty exciting director. I don't like him as much as Nolan but he's the closest analogous director to him right now and certainly handles some things better such as exposition
Enemy > Arrival > Incendies > Polytechnique > Prisoners > Sicario

All good films, btw. Just Sicario was a bit disappointing. And I love his more out there stuff. Great variety.

Top Bottom