• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First fighting game character you learned how to use?

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not talking about just memorizing the moves or combos, but actually learned the various in and outs of the characters and felt quite confident in your abilities.

My first probably was Ling Xaioyu in Tekken 3. Before hand I never really spent much time with any character or fighting game system for very long. I was quite scrubbish and pretty naive about fighting games and when it came to tekken I'd just bust out paul. Well one day at the arcade some guy totally schooled me with Xiaoyu, and something snapped and I knew I had to learn how to play as her and become better at Tekken 3 as a whole.

I spent so much money trying to learn her (this was quite a time before the PSX release). Before long I was winning a lot more matches than I had ever with Paul. I wasn't horribly great with her, but it wasn't until then that I actually *knew* a character.

So thank you Ling Xaioyu for sparking the interest in fighting games for me and pushing me past the scrub level.

xiaoyu.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
First character I learned how to use was E. Honda on Street Fighter 2. The second one was Ken (and with Ken I stayed, even to this day)

sprsf2.jpg

robot

Guile would be the first character I took further than just memorizing specials and whatnot...I even started making up my own combos with that kooky bastard. But the first character I truly mastered (as in gracefully whoop some serious ass) was Ivy.

c.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If you mean really learning how to handle and use a character, it would be Paul Phoenix in Tekken 2 and definitely 3. I guess Yoshimitsu also counts, but I never did manage him fully, like I did with Paul. It was more like I knew all of his moves, but didn't know exactly what to use and when to use it. Then I progressed to Heihachi in Tekken Tag, who has been dominating furiously ever since. :D

gunstarhero

First one I truly mastered would have to be Lion from VF2.

And the one armed bandit on the right of this screen: (from Eternal Champions)
mdeternalchampions.png

jedimike

My friends used to call him cheddarwulf because his moves were so cheesy... but man did I know them and know them well.

KI2SABRE.jpg

Tabris

Orchid from Killer Instinct.

Then Jin from Tekken 3.

Then Paul and Brian from Tekken Tag and 4.

Otherwise, I never really specialized in any characters. I learned Street Fighter 2 pretty well, but never specific to a character. Never spent time on timings (heh) for any of those characters. Just the 3 listed above.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The first character I remember using on a frequent basis was Ryu, but the first character that I truly mastered and knew inside and out was Kilik.
souldec6.jpg

*This picture is from Soul Calibur II, but I'm more specifically speaking of Soul Calibur 1.

TheDiave

Banned
Depends... Which came out first on the SNES, Street Fighter 2 or Killer Instinct? If it was SF2, then Ken Masters. If it was KI, then Jago.

ge-man

Ryu was the character I used the most for Sf2 on the snes, but oddly enough I had a similar situation to Ferrio's. Tekken 3 is the first game I really dug into, except I mastered Lei Wulong

Drexon

Banned
Hmmmm, I have to say Scorpion from MK1. The teleport punch ruled all, and I could even pull it off 5 / 10 times. :p

Hooker

Fulgore, I was totally invinsible when using fulgore. I still remember the motion for the 12-hit (?) monster combo that took something rediculous like 60% of the life bar.

Glacius was my second. I started to learn Lei in Tekken3 but never finished it. Never really played fighting games like that either.

raYne

I'm surprised that so many people seem to have began their fighting game playing with games like Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter.. I mean wtf? *shakes head*

Chun Li- SF2(arcade), speed = domination, back then at least heh.
And similar to Mr_Furious, the unamed guy in the white gi from Karate Champ (nes)!

raYne said:
I'm surprised that so many people seem to have began their fighting game playing with games like Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter.. I mean wtf? *shakes head*

And similar to Mr_Furious, the unamed guy in the white gi from Karate Champ (nes)!

Well, I have started seriously playing fighting games much earlier (SF2: Turbo, Killer Instinct), but I don't really remember having a single character in which I prominently use more than others (ie. I use most of the characters and try to master most of them). If I had to choose, it would probably be Ken (or Chunli or maybe E-honda :p).

Ferrio

Banned
Drexon said:
Hmmmm, I have to say Scorpion from MK1. The teleport punch ruled all, and I could even pull it off 5 / 10 times. :p

I'm thinking people aren't grasping what I meant by "learned".

Again, read the first post cause Tekken 3 was by far not my first fighting game. I could play SF2 do all the moves, and do simple combos but I didn't "know" the characters.

It's like when I play SF3:3rd. I can pick say Yun. I know his moves, basic combos and gameplay tactics but I don't KNOW him. I can't react to all situations and don't know all my options.

But say I pick Makoto, I know what she's capable of. I know what's at my disposal when my opponent is waking up, or I'm being rushed.

Being able to play a character and KNOWING a chcaracter is two different things in my book.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ryu

Ferrio said:
I'm thinking people aren't grasping what I meant by "learned".

I'm not talking about just memorizing the moves or combos, but actually learned the various in and outs of the characters and felt quite confident in your abilities.
In that case, Alpha Ryu. I was too young to really "get it" before then. But I must say Tekken 3 was a more eye-opening experience. Counters and dodges were a lot less in old 2D fighters, so I'd say Xiaoyu in Tekken 3 was my first real deep learning experience and it was really cool. Then with DOA2 I got a feel for more accurate hit detection, and in VF3 a more complete fighter.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Know inside and out and can react to any situation?

Alpha 3 Ken

vortal_pic_14566.jpg

Win or lose (and it was win 95% of the time at the local arcades) I wiped the smug smirk off everyone's face that dared call me a shoto-scrub.

Top Bottom