• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images from Disney remake of Snow White and the Seven "Dwarves"

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
source.gif

GloveSlap

Of course Disney would deny. The last thing they would want is another backlash starting before they even start advertising the movie. I eagerly await Disney coincidentally announcing a delay and reshoots.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It is the Disney production, there were stand ins for Zegler and Burnap. That is how the seven dwarves will look.
Except they’re apparently not even humanoid in the Disney one. They’ve said they’re creatures or something.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Instead of dwarfs, Disney will fill the void with a group of what they describe as “magical creatures,” according to casting sheets that TheWrap has seen. (They are currently looking for voice actors to give these creatures personality.)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Some unnamed rep at Disney denying it doesn't establish anything conclusively.

Update:

When asked by The Daily Beast for comment on the Daily Mail’s article, which touts photos of what it claims is Snow White’s cast, a Disney spokesperson said, “The photos are fake and not from our production. We are currently trying to have the Daily Mail issue a correction.”

When reached by The Daily Beast, the Daily Mail refuted Disney’s claim that the photos were fake. The outlet has since added a correction to the bottom of the article that states: “This article has been amended since initial publication to correctly identify the actress portraying Snow White as an extra who stood in for post-production photography. Disney confirm that stand-ins were used for both Rachel Zegler and Andrew Burnap in these images.”

Last edited:

Dural

From the Daily Mail article

'To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community,' a spokesperson said.

'We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period.'

In December last year, sources close to the production said Snow White's seven 'dwarfs' were not going to be fully computer generated, and wouldn't be dwarfs at all.

Instead, she would be befriended by magical, forest-dwelling creatures.

A source connected with the production explained that they will be rather like the trolls in Frozen, or JRR Tolkein's hobbits. They will have two legs, two arms and a face with eyes, nose and a mouth . . . but not be actually human.

First off, what exactly are the stereotypes portrayed in the animated movie? That they're short?

The Hobbits didn't look too different from humans other than their height and feet.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
That photo has to be fake? It can't look that bad even for Disney, can it?

If it is real, wow I just have no words....

jason10mm

Gold Member
The 7 people are stand ins for visual effects to be placed later. That's why they're so bright colored
But wouldn't that be those green suits with the ping pong balls? These folks are wearing actual clothes, of various cuts, styles, and patterns, not something that says "I'm the talking cat, I'm the goblin, I'm the shoggoth, etc". Seems to me that whatever this is, they are supposed to look like that for the film. Not something meant to be overwritten with CGI, even a sophisticated green screen using each pattern to be replaced, as these guys are carrying rope, sticks, and their outfits have lapels, half have long hair over the clothes, and whatnot. Plus they are not wearing masks or anything to track their heads for replacement. So if they are to be completely replaced, why are they even there? The shadows, the trail through the grass?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
But wouldn't that be those green suits with the ping pong balls? These folks are wearing actual clothes, of various cuts, styles, and patterns, not something that says "I'm the talking cat, I'm the goblin, I'm the shoggoth, etc". Seems to me that whatever this is, they are supposed to look like that for the film. Not something meant to be overwritten with CGI, even a sophisticated green screen using each pattern to be replaced, as these guys are carrying rope, sticks, and their outfits have lapels, half have long hair over the clothes, and whatnot. Plus they are not wearing masks or anything to track their heads for replacement. So if they are to be completely replaced, why are they even there? The shadows, the trail through the grass?

Brother, I have no idea. I'm actually just guessing. LoL! But the lead woman isn't Rachel Ziegler. So I dunno.

Billbofet

I think along with the slowing down of Marvel and Star Wars content, Disney may want to consider pumping the brakes on this too.

StueyDuck

what's that mr Igor? you aren't going to try and do better? you are going to still release all the projects set up by the team that's lost you money? aaah ok, makes sense.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I wonder what the story is going to be, as they are obviously not miners, and they have 'magic.' She's gonna be knocked unconscious by her step-mothers anti-wokeness and the 'magic' crew gonna bring her back to life with Evanescence playing in the background and the Prince telling her how she's a strong independent woman? Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the wokest of them all? Yass queen, slay...

I dono, it just all seems unnecessary. The only reason they are remaking it so that they can keep the IP. They don't care at this point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why do we gotta remake everything?????!!!
Easier to leverage old classic IPs redoing them instead of new ideas.

Look at Batman and Spiderman movies. Every 10 years they seem to get remade. I think Spiderman had two origins kind of movies even faster. So instead of seeing progression in a movie or new plots it's Peter Parker in high school against the green goblin and Batman seeing his parents die becoming the caped crusader for the first time again and again. And it'll be Joker again.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dono, it just all seems unnecessary. The only reason they are remaking it so that they can keep the IP. They don't care at this point.
I don't think they can lock the IP, the base fairy tale is long in the public domain. What they can do is lock down the "Disney" aspects, like her appearance, the names of the dwarves, and stuff like that so when the cartoon goes into the PD in a few years those components are more firmly in their control.

Freezing the public domain for so long is one of the greatest cultural crimes Disney ever perpetuated. It stifles creativity of new folks looking to riff on an old story and encourages companies to keep mining their past instead of developing new things.

Yoda

So Snow White not being White aside... Are they not dwarves either? What is the "magical creature" nonsense?

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

It's weird I'll never own a Disney sub now but they just keep on giving me so much good stuff laugh at

It feels wrong. But i'll take it.

Top Bottom