• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images from Disney remake of Snow White and the Seven "Dwarves"

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So Snow White not being White aside... Are they not dwarves either? What is the "magical creature" nonsense?

It never made sense to call her "Snow White" if her last name wasn't "White". As a nickname, sure. An ACTUAL name without a surname?? Smh

And if this new Snow White has the surname and is just named Snow without it being about her skin color, then cool.

Naming someone after the color of snow because their skin is pale just never made sense to me. Except as a nickname.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Soooo…were these people hired after the writers strike? Iger raiding the local community theaters for some cheap talent to bring Disney back in the black 🤔

Most likely an old pic (in the last week) because the strike only started yesterday.

Edit: if the script was finished, they can still shoot. But can't now that the SAG-AFTRA is striking.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It never made sense to call her "Snow White" if her last name wasn't "White". As a nickname, sure. An ACTUAL name without a surname?? Smh

And if this new Snow White has the surname and is just named Snow without it being about her skin color, then cool.

Naming someone after the color of snow because their skin is pale just never made sense to me. Except as a nickname.
It's a fairytale, not a political agenda.

Once upon a time in midwinter, when the snowflakes were falling from the sky like down, a queen was sitting and sewing at a window which had a frame of black ebony. And as she sewed at the window and glanced up at the snow, she pricked her finger with her needle and three drops of blood fell on to the snow. And because the red looked so beautiful on the white snow, she thought to herself: if only I had a child as white as snow, as red as blood, and as black as the wood in the window frame. Not long afterwards she had a little daughter who was as white as snow, as red as blood, and with hair as black as ebony, and because of that she was called Snow White. And as the child was born, the queen died.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's a fairytale, not a political agenda.

Once upon a time in midwinter, when the snowflakes were falling from the sky like down, a queen was sitting and sewing at a window which had a frame of black ebony. And as she sewed at the window and glanced up at the snow, she pricked her finger with her needle and three drops of blood fell on to the snow. And because the red looked so beautiful on the white snow, she thought to herself: if only I had a child as white as snow, as red as blood, and as black as the wood in the window frame. Not long afterwards she had a little daughter who was as white as snow, as red as blood, and with hair as black as ebony, and because of that she was called Snow White. And as the child was born, the queen died.

Never said anything about a political agenda. Just thought it was dumb for the reasons I stated. I don't write with the intention of people reading between the lines.

That said, now that I read what you posted from the story... I can see where the name came from. Though it still seems it's a nickname and not her actual name.

It's a story of fiction, as you said, so it matters not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never said anything about a political agenda. Just thought it was dumb for the reasons I stated. I don't write with the intention of people reading between the lines.

That said, now that I read what you posted from the story... I can see where the name came from. Though it still seems it's a nickname and not her actual name.

Its just a clever safe sounding name. Better than Wood Black or Blood Red.

The ones here judging the outfits have to wait until they apply the bluish color grading. For those of you who care about the skin tone, that color grading will lighten it.

giphy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That photo has to be fake? It can't look that bad even for Disney, can it?

If it is real, wow I just have no words....
I was thinking the same. Maybe if this cast was involved in a quirky TV ad for laughs it makes sense. But I find it hard to believe this is real material for a Snow White movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member

You know norhing John Snow!

ManaByte

Gold Member
So Snow White not being White aside... Are they not dwarves either? What is the "magical creature" nonsense?
Peter Dinklage put Disney on blast when they announced the movie, so they made them CG creatures instead of Dwarves.

Batiman

Banned
Ya that looks like ass. I’m sure it’ll look a lot better on film but still. Never cared for SW even when I was a kid. It’s entertaining seeing people lose their shit over everything Disney though

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This looks like some kind of a school theater gig.
Most movies these days look like that when you take away the CGI, make-up, and post-production touch ups. You'd be amazed by how cheap costumes and sets actually look without all the modern technology applied to it. There is a reason that when you go back to the 80's and beyond you look at "big budget" films looking goofy and fake outside of practical effects. They just didn't have the tech to touch it up in the moment. If you took out all the movie magic out of modern films most of them would look like cheap local productions because all the money is in the CGI and special effects.

Which sucks because you used to have older films that looked great because they put in the effort, but those days are mostly long gone outside of people like Nolan.

Pejo

I've been on this forum for a long long time now, and I've never seen somebody so relentlessly and consistently defend mega-corporations as much as you. I certainly hope you're paid for it at least. It's like every single thread about Marvel/Star Wars/Disney, you're right there just chiming in on how it's ackshuwally a good thing.

This stuff is trash, run through the diversifier, soul removed, passion removed, written by people that will take some of the worst paying jobs in the industry (apparently according to the strikes). Why do you defend it so vehemently?

Konnor

I'm not gonna lie, it's so fun watching Disney implode. Sony might be the worst movie studio but Disney is the one that ruined Hollywood with their factory produced trash aimed at the lowest common denominator audience

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I've been on this forum for a long long time now, and I've never seen somebody so relentlessly and consistently defend mega-corporations as much as you.
You clearly have not been to the recent Hollywood strike threads lol

NekoFever

Most likely an old pic (in the last week) because the strike only started yesterday.

Edit: if the script was finished, they can still shoot. But can't now that the SAG-AFTRA is striking.
They can’t shoot in the US. There was a story yesterday about how production of House of the Dragon is continuing as normal because it’s shot in the UK. Most fantasy films seem to be shot in Europe or New Zealand.

Equity, the UK equivalent of SAG-AFTRA, has said the strike isn’t legal under UK law and so actors should continue to work, even SAG-AFTRA members. Their statement seems to suggest they expect productions to move to the UK.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Snow (black >) white & the seven oppressed persons

Interesting that they decided to have a little person (?) play a dwarf. I didn’t expect this to be in accordance with the woke mind-virus.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Most movies these days look like that when you take away the CGI, make-up, and post-production touch ups. You'd be amazed by how cheap costumes and sets actually look without all the modern technology applied to it. There is a reason that when you go back to the 80's and beyond you look at "big budget" films looking goofy and fake outside of practical effects. They just didn't have the tech to touch it up in the moment. If you took out all the movie magic out of modern films most of them would look like cheap local productions because all the money is in the CGI and special effects.

Which sucks because you used to have older films that looked great because they put in the effort, but those days are mostly long gone outside of people like Nolan.
scared ridley scott GIF by foxhorror

Watched this the other week and it just blows away pretty much 99% of sets/green screens of modern movies by looking actually Alien/otherworldly AND the Nostromo looks like a lived in working cruiser

Peter Dinklage put Disney on blast when they announced the movie, so they made them CG creatures instead of Dwarves.
Or to put it another way: Peter Dinklage acted like a holier than thou ass when Disney announced the movie, so they took six roles away from a group of actors who find it very difficult to find roles in the first place.

He really is an angry elf.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I was thinking the same. Maybe if this cast was involved in a quirky TV ad for laughs it makes sense. But I find it hard to believe this is real material for a Snow White movie.

The fact that it could fool anyone as real for even a few seconds is a pretty sad indicator of how bad Disney has really become. No one should look at this and do a double take and be like "wait, is this real? hold on!" It should just be so laughably bad at first sight it's an obvious joke.

Daily Mail posting some fake shit I guess lol

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to reflect that after Disney’s U.S. spokesperson initially declared the photos published by the Daily Mail were fake, the studio later said the photos were from the production but were not official photos

Top Bottom