• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

I hope they let him stick around instead of killing him off immediately like Arrow tends to do. Let the Rogues actually become, you know... the Rogues.

Also I really want to see what they do with Captain Boomerang.
I doubt they'll kill him off.
The Flash has never been a character that needed a reason to not kill, he's the type of guy that becomes a superhero because he was raised to be a nice guy.

Mariolee

Should we really be THAT worried about crossover though? If Weather Wizard ends up dead in the FLASH TV show (God forbid), is that going to affect a future JLA movie? What could possibly happen on Arrow that would cause the producers of The Worlds Finest to throw up their hands in frustration?

What if the Weather Wizard was gonna be the main villain of Justice League?

Haven't seen the synopsis CW has released here yet so...

Barry Allen was just 11 years old when his mother was killed in a bizarre and terrifying incident and his father was falsely convicted of the murder. With his life changed forever by the tragedy, Barry was taken in and raised by Detective Joe West, the father of Barry's best friend, Iris. Now, Barry has become a brilliant, driven and endearingly geeky CSI investigator, whose determination to uncover the truth about his mother's strange death leads him to follow up on every unexplained urban legend and scientific advancement that comes along. Barry's latest obsession is a cutting edge particle accelerator, created by visionary physicist Harrison Wells and his S.T.A.R. Labs team, who claim that this invention will bring about unimaginable advancements in power and medicine. However, something goes horribly wrong during the public unveiling, and when the devastating explosion causes a freak storm, many lives are lost and Barry is struck by lightning. After nine months in a coma, Barry awakens to find his life has changed once again - the accident has given him the power of super speed, granting him the ability to move through Central City like an unseen guardian angel. Though initially excited by his newfound powers, Barry is shocked to discover he is not the only "meta-human" who was created in the wake of the accelerator explosion - and not everyone is using their new powers for good. In the months since the accident, the city has seen a sharp increase in missing people, unexplained deaths and other strange phenomena. Barry now has a renewed purpose - using his gift of speed to protect the innocent, while never giving up on his quest to solve his mother's murder and clear his father's name. For now, only a few close friends and associates know that Barry is literally the fastest man alive, but it won't be long before the world learns what Barry Allen has become... The Flash. The series stars Grant Gustin ("Glee," "Arrow") as Barry Allen/The Flash, Candice Patton ("The Game") as Iris West, Rick Cosnett ("The Vampire Diaries") as Eddie Thawne, Danielle Panabaker ("Necessary Roughness," "Justified") as Caitlin Snow, Carlos Valdes ("Once" on Broadway ) as Cisco Ramon, with Tom Cavanagh ("Ed," "Eli Stone") as Harrison Wells and Jesse L. Martin ("Law & Order") as Detective West. THE FLASH is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "The Tomorrow People," "Green Lantern"), Andrew Kreisberg ("Arrow," "Eli Stone"), David Nutter ("Arrow," "Game of Thrones") and Sarah Schechter. The pilot was directed by David Nutter. This series is based upon characters published by DC Entertainment.

Should we really be THAT worried about crossover though? If Weather Wizard ends up dead in the FLASH TV show (God forbid), is that going to affect a future JLA movie? What could possibly happen on Arrow that would cause the producers of The Worlds Finest to throw up their hands in frustration?

What's the point in unifying the two mediums into one Universe if they don't acknowledge and feed into each other?

Let's say in some future season of The Flash, the writers want to do a storyline where Professor Zoom imperils Iris West in some way. BUT there's a JL movie planned for a March/April release that stars Flash. Continuity wise that would put the JL movie in last 3rd or so of The Flash tv show's season. So in the show The Flash would be dealing with Professor Zoom and trying to save Iris but in the Movie, because it was written WELL before the TV writers finalized their ideas and scripts, doesn't have Flash dealing with or acknowledging that Iris is in danger at all. Huge continuity error. So the solution? Because the movies are much bigger financially (both in risk and gain) and they're a slower turn around with less ability to change at the last moment, that means the TV Show writers have to work around them, possibly preventing them from telling the kinds of stories they want to tell. Preventing them from using some characters. Preventing them from ever putting their Heroes in a truly dire situation if it conflicts with a Movie's story. That's a major hindrance creatively.

ReiGun

Because of legitimate reasons. TV production as a lot of exposure. It's a lot easier for stuff to leak that could, if intertwined with these mega budget blockbuster movies, result in spoiling twists and major plot points. There was an interview with Maurissa and Jed where they pointed out that on their very first day of filming for AoS, between the time they left the house and got to the set, someone had seen one of the SHIELD vehicles on the freeway, took a picture of it and uploaded it. The vehicle was covered but the wind had blown the sheet up enough to see the SHIELD logo on the side.

There's also a creative funneling that has to happen for TV shows as well. They can't use villains or run storylines that would conflict with future movie plots and since TV has a faster turn around than movies do, that means TV Writers have to sit on their hands while waiting for the movies to release. You can see this very clearly when comparing Arrow and AoS in terms of the characters each show has used and what they've done with them.

Combining TV and Film Universes is a great concept that could possibly really pay off big but it's a process that has a lot of moving parts and requires a ton of secrecy and management.

The difference in AoS reception between Pre-TWS and Post-TWS refutes your stance here. Clearly the writers are very capable of writing compelling stories and doing a lot with the characters. But you're suggesting what? Having AoS delve into Arcs separate from what's going on with the Movies, using lower tier characters? If they had done that, then AoS' Arcs wouldn't have anything to do with TWS and once TWS happened, whatever AoS had going on would've had to get shifted immediately to the back burner due to the very nature of TWS. It would've been jarring storytelling at best.
I'm saying that AoS being the way it was at the beginning was not a result of having to avoid interfering with the movies but instead, a failure on the part of the writers to craft compelling stories with what they did have. The movies had nothing to do with Ward and May being the most uninteresting people alive or the show deciding to hang itself on the Tahiti thing and Skye's parents for the entire season or the inability to establish stakes. Poor writing is responsible for that. The "freak of the week" style AoS went for at first could have been great; the show didn't have to be a boring slog until TWS happened. Yet some seem to think that the sheer fact it's part of a shared universe meant it just had to be that way.

As for the rest, I'm well aware of what a complicated process television and movies are and how hard it is keeping track of a shared universe. However, the claim that it automatically puts huge constraints on what they can do seems to ignore the differences in how Marvel and DC are constructing these universes.

This is my central point. AoS is a show about an organization that's pretty central to the entire MCU. It's going to have more eggshells to walk on than some shows about two heroes in different cities dealing with their own villains.

Superman fighting Brainiac in a movie doesn't mean a damn thing to Flash fighting the Rogues in Central City. Arrow fighting the Suicide Squad doesn't need to wait for the next Batman or Wonder Woman movie to move its plot forward because the latter two characters don't have to have anything to do with that. Arrow and Flash are in inherently different positions than AoS was.

Joni

That trailer looks amazing. The right amount of fun, cheesiness and action. Can't wait for the show to start.

iVZRzMcYRvSnp.gif

marrec

Banned
What's the point in unifying the two mediums into one Universe if they don't acknowledge and feed into each other?

Let's say in some future season of The Flash, the writers want to do a storyline where Professor Zoom imperils Iris West in some way. BUT there's a JL movie planned for a March/April release that stars Flash. Continuity wise that would put the JL movie in last 3rd or so of The Flash tv show's season. So in the show The Flash would be dealing with Professor Zoom and trying to save Iris but in the Movie, because it was written WELL before the TV writers finalized their ideas and scripts, doesn't have Flash dealing with or acknowledging that Iris is in danger at all. Huge continuity error. So the solution? Because the movies are much bigger financially (both in risk and gain) and they're a slower turn around with less ability to change at the last moment, that means the TV Show writers have to work around them, possibly preventing them from telling the kinds of stories they want to tell. Preventing them from using some characters. Preventing them from ever putting their Heroes in a truly dire situation if it conflicts with a Movie's story. That's a major hindrance creatively.

Do it the same way they do in the Comics. Flash is constantly facing some cosmic or world ending threat in Justice League while canonically at the same time dealing with Central City crap. There might be some cross over every so often between the two but it's mostly unnecessary. Any potential Justice League movie needs to focus on the fact that whatever they're facing it's something that can't just be about one hero saving the day or one heroes baggage.

Really though, any Justice League movie needs to start with the Rogues getting in way over their heads with the Crime Syndicate.

The running effects look fantastic for television. I really hope they can maintain that CGI quality for the whole run.

Fuck Batman/Superman, I'm down for Arrow/Flash as the World's Finest.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Full trailer was great! My only worry is that it also looked pretty expensive, guessing we wont see too many fights like that one.

abundant

I love that they're delving into the Rouges right away with Weather Wizard being the villain in the pilot episode and the tease that
Professor Zoom
is going to have a big part later in the series.

rexor0717

Ok so that full trailer, some of that looked exceedingly bad...but some of it was fucking awesome!
The parts that were bad was when the camera was moving with him, but everything else looked amazing for TV. I'd go so far as to say a few shots looked amazing unqualified.
The dialog was a bit cheesy, but that doesn't really detract that much. The thing that makes Arrow awesome is that the show moves at such a brisk pace, I hope the Flash will
operate the same way.

dan2026

So Professor Zoom confirmed. Cool.

Bring on the Rogues as well.
Hope they don't all have powers, using technology is way better.

ReiGun

Full trailer was great! My only worry is that it also looked pretty expensive, guessing we wont see too many fights like that one.

Well Weather Wizard is on of the more CG heavy Flash rogues. You won't need as much for guys like Capt. Cold or the Trickster. Which will keep budgets low so we can get the bigger fights for guys like Zoom.

Looks pretty good. I like most of the ways they're showing the speed use. The only shots I hate are the close ups of his face moving at normalish speed with the blur and background moving quickly. The long shots of just the blur and the shots where everything around him is slow motion but he's normal look better to me.

I'm saying that AoS being the way it was at the beginning was not a result of having to avoid interfering with the movies but instead, a failure on the part of the writers to craft compelling stories with what they did have. The movies had nothing to do with Ward and May being the most uninteresting people alive or the show deciding to hang itself on the Tahiti thing and Skye's parents for the entire season or the inability to establish stakes. Poor writing is responsible for that. The "freak of the week" style AoS went for at first could have been great; the show didn't have to be a boring slog until TWS happened. Yet some seem to think that the sheer fact it's part of a shared universe meant it just had to be that way.

As for the rest, I'm well aware of what a complicated process television and movies are and how hard it is keeping track of a shared universe. However, the claim that it automatically puts huge constraints on what they can do seems to ignore the differences in how Marvel and DC are constructing these universes.

Ward being uninteresting, Tahiti, and Skye's parents are all central to the entire seasonal Arc and they intertwine quite well with the Post-TWS MCU. The show was slow because it was building brand new characters as opposed to going with established characters and skipping the origin stuff. Arrow technically doesn't skip the origin but it's use of flashbacks enabled them to jump into the action right away while still giving out the backstory bit by bit. It's a great technique but it's one that can't be used in every show.

And it doesn't ignore the differences. The differences are plain to see. MCU has combined TV and Film and DC hasn't. If DC had intended to combine TV and Movies from the start, we wouldn't have The Flash and Arrow. We'd have like.. Teen Titans or Young Justice at best (which I wouldn't be mad at all for what it's worth).

This is my central point. AoS is a show about an organization that's pretty central to the entire MCU. It's going to have more eggshells to walk on than some shows about two heroes in different cities dealing with their own villains.

Superman fighting Brainiac in a movie doesn't mean a damn thing to Flash fighting the Rogues in Central City. Arrow fighting the Suicide Squad doesn't need to wait for the next Batman or Wonder Woman movie to move its plot forward because the latter two characters don't have to have anything to do with that. Arrow and Flash are in inherently different positions than AoS was.

Yes but other than having the same Actors playing Flash/Arrow/Batman/etc... there would be no synergy between the mediums. They may as well be two separate universes in that case. That was actually a complaint I saw leveled at AoS early on. Was that there wasn't enough crossover between the movies and the show other than name dropping people and events. What you're talking about in your last paragraph would be exactly that.

marrec

Banned
Well Weather Wizard is on of the more CG heavy Flash rogues. You won't need as much for guys like Capt. Cold or the Trickster. Which will keep budgets low so we can get the bigger fights for guys like Zoom.

That's why I'm worried that they named him Clyde.
He's too expensive to keep around.

Moaradin

That looked good. I agree with some of the closeup shots not looking great, but most of it looks surprisingly good for tv.

and holy shit, zoom right off the bat? I'm definitely in.

SystemBug

Holy, everything looks like such a step up from Arrow from a visual standpoint. Better cinematography, better effects. Wow, they didn't spare any expenses

Do it the same way they do in the Comics. Flash is constantly facing some cosmic or world ending threat in Justice League while canonically at the same time dealing with Central City crap. There might be some cross over every so often between the two but it's mostly unnecessary. Any potential Justice League movie needs to focus on the fact that whatever they're facing it's something that can't just be about one hero saving the day or one heroes baggage.

Really though, any Justice League movie needs to start with the Rogues getting in way over their heads with the Crime Syndicate.

That's an option but I don't think it will go over well with the casual viewers of the shows or the movies. The books get away with it because their fanbase has accepted that this is how things work. Movie goers aren't quite the same.

That's how we end up with people criticizing the movies with stuff like "Why didn't Iron Man show up to help Thor in Thor 2?" "Why didn't Fury call Hawkeye in Cap 2?" etc.. etc.. People would rather look for what they want to perceive as plotholes than accepting what's presented to them as is. There's a lot of money on the line with these films so the studios are going to do everything they can to get the Casual Viewer in the seats and have them walking out excited rather than walking out questioning inconsistency.

dan2026

Well traditionally Clyde Marden died as was replaced by his brother Mark.

Don't know if they will go that route though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom