• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Trailer looks good, will defnitely watch but Weather Wizard looks sooooo dumb:
yzo6WzR.png

ReiGun

The Extended Trailer gave me all the hype I need. The special effects are great for a CW budget show and the storytelling looks more like a comic book brought to life than even Arrow. Can't wait for this show.

There is one thing that bugs me though. In the trailer there is a quick new flash that mentions Keystone. However in Arrow it was mentioned that Barry worked in Central City. I know that in the comics (SPOILER!)
Keystone and Central City are two different cities in separate dimensions where both the original and main Flash were superheroes in
. What does this mean then?

Someone more versed in Flash lore can confirm, but I think they changed it so that Keystone and Central are the "twin cities," meaning they're right next to each other and Flash patrols both.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Yeah, great trailer. Is all of that from the pilot? Two hour episode, I guess?

They haven't ordered any other episodes, have they?

rokero

Someone more versed in Flash lore can confirm, but I think they changed it so that Keystone and Central are the "twin cities," meaning they're right next to each other and Flash patrols both.
yeap they're two cities divided by a bridge

Central, yes, but being not compelling? You're arguing the show was trying to be bad at first? I was in the AoS thread when the show was taking the most heat in the beginning, and every time someone said "I wish there more crossovers" someone was ready to counter saying the show's real problems were the writing and the characters. So which is it? Was the bad because it was in a shared universe that prevented crossover, or was it just actually a poorly written and acted show? I'm inclined to believe it was the latter, which has little to do with it being in a shared universe.

To be specific, AoS Spoilers (avoid if you're going to watch the show)
The characters were not only new characters but new agents for the most part. They had to learn about each other and spend time together to gel. This is why Skye (for example) is so one note until Post-"Seeds." Ward's character was Pre-TWS was an act. He's completely different and much more compelling Post-TWS. Fitzsimmons was interesting the whole time because they're the only two who have a close relationship prior to the events of the show. Coulson is odd because of the events of Tahiti. May's the only character that's outright bad and I honestly chalk that up to Ming Na. Growth and experience had the characters develop in front of the viewers. Was it boring? To some, sure. But it's nice to see it upfront. Arrow didn't have that because it jumped in at the middle of Ollie's story and used Flashbacks. Had it started at the Boat accident, people would've complained about wanting to see him as Arrow, not the pretty boy with no skills.

But that's an assumption based on assuming WB would have done things exactly as Marvel Studios. Which is the same fallacy we always make in these discussions: assuming the way Marvel did it is the only way anyone can do it.

And I meant the differences from a story standpoint. A show about the organization that put the Avengers together and is central to many of the events in the MCU is very different from shows that follow the exploits of two heroes in a world full of them.

It has more to do with money and time. Major movie characters are typically helmed by well known actors and they are expensive. It's also hard to sell a role to them when it requires so much of their time, which it would if they were to pull double duty in Film and TV. Amell would be more than happy to be in JL because he's trying to establish himself. A bigger star wouldn't touch the movie role if they knew it came packaged with a 22 episode per season TV requirement as well. And the studios aren't very willing to trust unknowns in all of these roles if it means they're helming the Movies as well. Hemsworth is the only one I can think of that's gotten a nod like that. Well and the actors who play Peter in the Spiderman movies but that IP prints money even when it's terrible.

Not necessarily. For example, what if Barry can't be in Central City during a criminal break out or some other disaster because he's in the events of JLA? When I say that the shows and movies don't have to interfere with each other, I mean mainly in the sense of character usage, which is what the conversation normally focuses on.

It's a complicated process to be sure, but the assumption that it's automatically going to ruin the shows because the writers won't be able to tell stories anymore is a tad too much for my taste.

So the threat that happens in his absence, happens off screen? Or there's episodes where the title hero just plain isn't there? I just don't see how that works effectively. Character usage comes down to salary, actor availability, and writing. And the character won't really be of much use outside of cameo because future plans with other properties means they can't have real consequences in the TV shows for those characters. Batfleck could meet Ollie in Starling City and have a conversation or even help beat a villain. But he couldn't have character development because not everyone who watches the movies will watch the show. It could be cool moments for the show but ultimately not really of much use. And it would likely be expensive. There's a reason why SLJ is the only major star from the MCU to make an appearance on AoS.

marrec

Banned

Current Flash canon has Keystone and Central as the 'Gem Cities' with Barry being based out of Central while Keystone is where most of the Rogues and badguys hang out (also where Iron Heights is).

Silver age Flash was Central City, Golden Age flash was Keystone City. After Crisis on Infinite Earths the two were put right next to each other.

Tucah

you speak so well
Very good trailer, I'm pumped. I'm glad they're going full on with superpowers in the show, even if I'm a little weary about how that'll be with a CW budget. Still, can't have Flash without the Rogues so it's good that they're already dipping into that well.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Very good trailer, I'm pumped. I'm glad they're going full on with superpowers in the show, even if I'm a little weary about how that'll be with a CW budget. Still, can't have Flash without the Rogues so it's good that they're already dipping into that well.

Well they've already cast Killer Frost and Thawn. I can imagine the rogues slowly coming into the show. Some even getting involved in the Suicide Squad.

Whoa, I haven't been keeping up with this or Arrow at all, but that extended trailer was sick. This might get me to actually watch television again for the first time in years (I've been exclusively using streaming and Blu-Ray).

Though I think the running effect looks better when he's not in the suit, tbh. The little bolts of lightning look pretty awkward.

Wag

Well they've already cast Killer Frost and Thawn. I can imagine the rogues slowly coming into the show. Some even getting involved in the Suicide Squad.

I thought Killer Frost was part of Firestorm's rogues gallery, not Flash's?

marrec

Banned

Killer Frost appeared in a few standalone Flash stories (and as always as part of groups of villains) but she's never been a main Rogue for the Flash.

I hope they don't replace Captain Cold with her. :(

Wasn't Snow in Arrow?

Dalek

That extended trailer is fucking unbelievable. I know people will nitpick over visual effects and whatnot, but what I'm excited about is the tone, the story and the characters-and this sells me on everything. I'm so incredbily excited.

I just wonder what other DC spinoffs we could get in the Arrowverse that are feasible for TV? I know there were rumors about Hourman-too bad Constantine isn't in the same universe.

Qvoth

just watched the trailer, had a huge smile on my face
who's the supervillain that killed his parents? i'll check the wiki out

Someone explain to me how Flash's rogues ever give him troubles, I get Zoom of course but Captain Boomerang.....

How does Captain Cold bother faster than light broken ass Flash?

That extended trailer is fucking unbelievable. I know people will nitpick over visual effects and whatnot, but what I'm excited about is the tone, the story and the characters-and this sells me on everything. I'm so incredbily excited.

I just wonder what other DC spinoffs we could get in the Arrowverse that are feasible for TV? I know there were rumors about Hourman-too bad Constantine isn't in the same universe.

Booster Gold should be next

Dalek

Someone explain to me how Flash's rogues ever give him troubles, I get Zoom of course but Captain Boomerang.....

How does Captain Cold bother faster than light broken ass Flash?

Have you read Forever Evil? Because Johnny Quick found out the hard way.

marrec

Banned
just watched the trailer, had a huge smile on my face
who's the supervillain that killed his parents? i'll check the wiki out

Professor Zoom

He meant New 52's Killer Frost.

New 52's Killer Frost hasn't interacted with Flash yet though. Let her stay in Arrow, we don't need two cold wielding supervillains on Flash.

Have you read Forever Evil? Because Johnny Quick found out the hard way.

I don't care what people say about Forever Evil, Rogue's Rebellion is amazing.

ReiGun

She is, but Caitlin Snow is one of the scientists on the show (she's the one in the trailer). No way they don't make her Killer Frost eventually.

Zero315

Banned
New 52's Killer Frost hasn't interacted with Flash yet though. Let her stay in Arrow, we don't need two cold wielding supervillains on Flash.

She was introduced on Arrow as a S.T.A.R. Labs scientist from Central City. They may or may not make her into her villain persona (plenty of characters introduced on Arrow aren't their full fledged comic counterpart) but the character was introduced in the TV universe specifically to be in The Flash show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom