• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo DS game box art

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Or is it?

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000097

t000097b.jpg

Dyne

I'm skeptical. Because the cartridge is smaller.. wouldn't they have a smaller box?

That's probably a good guess, but that's can't be official at all.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dyne said:
I'm skeptical. Because the cartridge is smaller.. wouldn't they have a smaller box?

You don't want such expensive items in small boxes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dyne said:

Do GBA games have small boxes?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Dyne said:
Because the cartridge is smaller.. wouldn't they have a smaller box?

Have you forgotten about the manual? Or should they shrink those down, and provide a magnifying glass with every DS so you can read software instructions?

Dyne said:
Didn't happen with GBA.

However, didn't they already show off plastic snap cases for DS cards? They'll probably just wrap those up as they do games in DVD cases now.

jarrod

Banned
Dyne said:

Did GBA carts being smaller than GBC carts yield a smaller box?

Dyne

^I was thinking more along the line of N-GAGE games. Smaller format, smaller box.

But of course Nintendo wouldn't lose much money just printing those boxes differently.

I just wonder, because I'm running out of room in my bookcase. :D

arter_2

I really wish we got little dvd style cases like the japanese game cube cases. Also isnt that the style of case they showed at E3????

arter_2 said:
I really wish we got little dvd style cases like the japanese game cube cases. Also isnt that the style of case they showed at E3????

Yes, the cases at E3 were the same as DVD cases legnth and depth wise, but they were shorter height wise. They were square also.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
StrikerObi said:
Funny, I thought of GameBoy Advance instantly, because it uses the exact same shape for the side bar as GBA games do.
Also true. The white really stood out more than the general shape to me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a logical extension of GBA box art with the ridge detail in the center that reflects the DS lid cover design. I kind of like it, it would look nice with in a small square DVD style plastic case. I actually think the GBA box size is nice as a footprint, if it were thinner it would be cool, which they have an opportunity to do now.

Meier

Would kill for boxes the size of the Japanese GameCube titles... or even better, boxes like the Japanese GBA titles.

And yeah, the white sidebar made me think Dreamcast instantly.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They should use the N-Gage game boxes. That's probably the one thing Nokia did right. The boxes for the games rock.

I wish Gamecube games in the states came in the Japanese boxes. They are a huge space saver.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
CVXFREAK said:
Japanese GC-style cases would be godly.

But Americans LOVE to steal all the time, that is a fact. :lol

I remember my friend and I joking about how we could never have the Japanese Gamecube boxes because they fit so easily into our pockets. I could have taken that little tiny JPN copy of Luigi's Mansion so easily...the perfect crime. :D

cvxfreak

Grizzlyjin said:
But Americans LOVE to steal all the time, that is a fact. :lol

I remember my friend and I joking about how we could never have the Japanese Gamecube boxes because they fit so easily into our pockets. I could have taken that little tiny JPN copy of Luigi's Mansion so easily...the perfect crime. :D

That's true. I suppose if Nintendo just put magnetic seals on the games then it would prevent much harm. :D

Memles

So we're looking at small DVD Cases the size of GBA Boxes for the games. Taking up similar shelf space to the GBA, ensuring that they won't need to resize the game holders at major retail stores like Wal-Mart, and can basicallly just re-arrange a Game Boy shelf for them.

Seems fine to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It gives me these photoshop vibes. Looks too plain, need more color. And I hope Nintendo will finally drop the paper boxes.

AniHawk

Wasn't it a year or two ago when Nintendo announced they were going have mini-DVD boxes replace GBA ones? Might not've been from Nintendo themselves, but I remember something to that extent.

And I got a serious Dreamcast boxart vibe from that Spider-Man 2 DS picture too. First thing that came to mind.

Coen

The shape of the sidebar is the same as the DS's flip-top held sideways, which makes it look real to me.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Just got off the blower with Nintendo.
It's a mock-up. Awaiting info on the pricing.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick update.
Got a no comment on pricing. Make what you want of that, especially given that they commented on the boxart... ;)

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Folder:

> Make what you want of that, especially given that they commented on the boxart... ;)

Yes, because if the price was lower Nintendo would definitely give you the scoop on pricing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
EBGames has the price for Spider-Man 2 DS set for $39.99. Of course, they have some games for that price and others at $49.99, so who knows.

Meier

There's no way they sell the games at an MSRP of $50 -- none at all. $40 seems possible so that it would situate it in between GC and GBA titles (although most of Nintendo's first party GBA titles are $34.99 since they're typically larger carts) but I'd love it if they dropped GBA titles to $25 and did DS at about $35.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
DS games will probably cost the same as GBA titles providing better profit margins for publishers.

Top Bottom