• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dont really get the high praise for 2. The AI tentacles and the inhibitor chip and "THE POWER OF THE SUN." Its got better action but i much prefer the first movie. Its not a bad movie i just dont see why people think its the best comic movie ever. Maybe they had not seen Blade?

DeathPeak

Dont really get the high praise for 2. The AI tentacles and the inhibitor chip and "THE POWER OF THE SUN." Its got better action but i much prefer the first movie. Its not a bad movie i just dont see why people think its the best comic movie ever. Maybe they had not seen Blade?

Train scene.

I'm really bummed Homecoming isn't Miles Morales. Seems like much of it is taken from the Miles Morales run of Spider-Man.

superhero movies don't have iconic theme songs anymore :(

Hero was fucking great in 2002 because it was the god damn spider-man song.

Then nickelback blew up. and every song sounded the same. which has retroactively made hero terrible.

1) Heathens from the Suicide Squad soundtrack says otherwise.
2) Hero isn't actually a Nickelback song (yes, it has Chad Kroger on vocals, but that's where the connection ends).
3) Nickleback had already blown up by the time Hero hit the airwaves. How You Remind Me (the template for every Nickelback song since) came out a year before Spider-Man.

Anth0ny

1) Heathens from the Suicide Squad soundtrack says otherwise.
2) Hero isn't actually a Nickelback song (yes, it has Chad Kroger on vocals, but that's where the connection ends).
3) Nickleback had already blown up by the time Hero hit the airwaves. How You Remind Me (the template for every Nickelback song since) came out a year before Spider-Man.

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

ok I must not have been listening to the radio cause Spiderman was absolutely the first time I heard nickelback, then how you remind me, then everything else blurs together.

And if there's any iconic song from Suicide Squad it's THIS

Replicant

Train scene.

This is exactly why I don't get people's adoration of Spider-Man 2. To me that scene is the worst in Spider-Man cinematic outings, close to his dancing scene in the club in 3. It's embarrassing and not what I want to see in a film adaptation.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is exactly why I don't get people's adoration of Spider-Man 2. To me that scene is the worst in Spider-Man cinematic outings, close to his dancing scene in the club in 3. It's embarrassing and not what I want to see in a film adaptation.

The part with him stopping it was fine. The passing out and being carried and everything though.. just didnt do it for me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
T3rd best since 2006 eh

tumblr_mtylvuq7361qgr036o5_250.gif

Nether!

I'm really looking forward to this!
Also didn't like the early Spider-Man movies growing up.
I appreciated that they existed but they just weren't really for me.

JimiNutz

Banned
Spider-Man is my favourite hero for a few reasons but the main reason why I'm so excited to see him on film again is because I think his powers lend themselves to the BEST superhero action scenes.

Glad to hear the action is good in this!

Spinluck

I wasn't as high on WW as the rest of the world, so this will probably sneak into 2nd place after Logan for me this year. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.

Sam Raimi + Spider-Man was a match made in heaven back in 2002. A director's style has never been more well suited for adapting a particular character than that. The first two Spider-Man movies are still fantastic, with 2 still being the best superhero film to date.

Having said that, Tobey and Kirsten still suck.

Also, being the 3rd best Spider-Man movie isn't such a bad thing. SM3 and ASM are decent movies that both get more right than wrong.

LotusHD

Banned
So this will be the third best superhero movie of the year ?

Right now for me it's:

1. GOTG2
2. Logan
3. Wonder Woman

If it nails the 3rd act, it could easily be at least in 2nd place for me. Worst case it'd replace WW, thought the movie was just okay.

For Thor, I have the biggest hopes for this year after seeing that trailer, but who knows.

You guys talking about third best superhero movie of the year are sleeping on Lego Batman.

My top right now:
1) Logan
2) Lego Batman
3) Wonder Woman

Haven't seen Guardians yet.

Anth0ny

Haven't seen Lego Bats yet, but right now:

1. Logan (9.5/10)
2. Wonder Woman (9/10)
3. Guardians 2 (9/10)

This year has been crazy so far for superhero movies. Potential for best year ever if Spidey and Thor deliver.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm glad the first impressions are great! :D

Sony should lean more on Marvel producers. Avi Arad needs to be kept away from superhero films.

Prompto

Banned
Logan > Wonder Woman > Lego Batman > Guardians 2

They're all good though. I'm expecting Spidey to take Lego Batman's place.

I haven't see Lego Bats yet either, but so far I'd go

1. Logan
2. Wonder Woman
3. Guardians 2

2014 gave us Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past, and Guardians. This year looks to top that by a good margin. Ridiculous.

Well, you're sleeping on Guardians!

That said, I have to watch Lego Batman as well.

Haha, true. I have to wait for the blu-ray or a digital release these days because of where I live. I made an effort for Wonder Woman but I had to endure a shitty dub. I'll catch Guardians and Spidey in a few months. That said, I wasn't a huge fan of the first Guardians so I doubt I'll like the sequel that much.

Cuburt

Right now for me it's:

1. GOTG2
2. Logan
3. Wonder Woman

If it nails the 3rd act, it could easily be at least in 2nd place for me. Worst case it'd replace WW, thought the movie was just okay.

For Thor, I have the biggest hopes for this year after seeing that trailer, but who knows.
I definitely felt GotG2 had the strongest 3rd act of the 3. People can debate the merits of all the films, but I think that's harder to debate.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Slander is spoken, in print it's libel.

Guy named NotLiquid winds up making a solid point. What're the odds?

I definitely felt GotG2 had the strongest 3rd act of the 3. People can debate the merits of all the films, but I think that's harder to debate.

Yeah GotG2 definitely nails its third act in a way the other two don't, and in fact I'd argue that WW's biggest drawback is that it fumbles the third act rather badly.

Sounds fantastic! Will make a great capper to my birthday.

The wish for an origin story is kind of insane. The "this might be someone's first X movie" argument starts to ring hollow especially when getting into cultural touchstone characters like Spider-man. I don't think not being explicit about his origins robs the character of much, if anything.

Top Bottom