• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

wachie

Fantastic impressions and a shit ton of negativity in here.

Sounds about right.

Movie will be awesome confirmed.
I think they should keep going the route of making Spiderman younger, next up - Spiderman in kinder garten. But hey look at the reviews!

LotusHD

Banned
I think they should keep going the route of making Spiderman younger, next up - Spiderman in kinder garten.

giphy.gif

As much as I don't want to see Spidey's origin again, I can't help but be curious as to what his Uncle Ben looked like. I hope we'll at least see a photo of May and Ben or something. And of course, Ben should be played by
Denzel

Can you imagine him giving Peter life lessons in flashbacks? 12 Oscars garanteed.
If he doesn't want to do it, I'd settle for
Gerard Depardieu
, just for the laughs.

I definitely felt GotG2 had the strongest 3rd act of the 3. People can debate the merits of all the films, but I think that's harder to debate.

Both Logan and Wonder Woman have the highest highs of any CBM in years but also some downright dreadful stuff. For me at least, GotG Vol. 2 never quite reached the same heights but was overall more consistent and therefore a better and more enjoyable movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I guess but when I hear it I don't think "Oh that's the Suicide Squad song". I do when I hear Purple Lambo.

was that heathens song even in the movie? or the credits?

It plays immediately as the movie cuts to credits.

It might be the only actually good part of Suicide Squad.

Gambit

Not really hyped for the film but was going to see it any way. The impressions sound good and I always expected at least a good film. Maybe it will be very good instead

What if Willem Dafoe WAS The Joker in the DCEU.

And the current Leto Joker is actually a Joker-fied Tim Drake. He's Joker II that lives on after the death of Joker I, a final hilarious punch line in his war against the Batman.

That is actually what I wished for and still wish for with the one change being: it's Jason Todd after the crowbar etc.

Not Tim like in Batman Beyond. Tim is too good for that

vaderise

This being the 2nd or 3rd best super hero movie of the year is still a very high praise. Wonder Woman is the worst super hero movie that came out this year and IT'S STILL A PREETY DAMN GOOD MOVIE.
Lego Batman
GotG Vol 2
Logan
WW
All are preety good if not great. Critics are trying to not oversell it with calling Homecoming ''Best Superhero Movie of the Decade'' because you know there had been shitloads of great super hero movies so if it's not as perfect as some , what gives? From all the reactions i've read so far, complaints people have for this are needless. Iron Man is a supporting player. High school drama works well. And even after those trailers movie still has many surprises. I'm hyped for Homecoming beyond anything. Spider-Man is my absolute favorite Super hero and like many folks said there hasn't been a legit good Spidey movie in a very very long time but it looks like we're finally having one which is set in an established Marvel universe. All the negatity is pointless imo.

Kevin Feige: "Hey Charlie, how you doing, it's me, Kevin Feige from Marvel Studios, a Walt Disney Company subsidiary."
Charlie Cox: "I know who you are, Kevin. We've met before. I had to explain to you that I'm not really blind..."
Feige: "We have? Well anyway, I'm calling you to ask you if you want to come to a costume fitting for Avengers 4."
Charlie: "What?! Oh my god, yes, I'd love to! I did not expect to fin-"
Feige: "Excellent! Thank you, you're really saving our asses here. Richard Madden can't make it but you're about the same height and build so I thought... Charlie?... Charlie, are you crying?..."

Nev

Banned
Wonder Woman is the worst super hero movie that came out this year and IT'S STILL A PREETY DAMN GOOD MOVIE.

According to you I guess? Gotg 2 is hot mediocrity and comes down to 'hey guys, make memes out of this!' and trying to make people laugh every 2 minutes.

Busty

Banned
It's going to be interesting to see if these reviews can turn the tide against the general malaise that audiences seem to have for familiar IPs and franchises this summer after the Pirates, Alien and Transformers all misfired.

Yes, Spider-Man is a huge franchise, and having Iron Man cameo doesn't hurt, but can this put up the sort of numbers that GOTG 2 and WW have? I think Sony's expectations for this are, pardon the pun, sky high and nothing less than stellar will do.

vaderise

According to you I guess? Gotg 2 is hot mediocrity and comes down to 'hey guys, make memes out of this!' and trying to make people laugh every 2 minutes.
Yeah, i reflect my opinions on my posts. I enjoyed every single minute of GotG2. Most fun i had in the cinemas this year. Whereas WW had a servicable first act, blasting second and a downright mediocre third.

faridmon

On one hand, I am reading Spider-Man 2 is better, which is disappointing

on the other hand, I bloody loved the Amazing Spider-Man

so Bring it on

SpaceWolf

Banned
Kevin Feige: "Hey Charlie, how you doing, it's me, Kevin Feige from Marvel Studios, a Walt Disney Company subsidiary."
Charlie Cox: "I know who you are, Kevin. We've met before. I had to explain to you that I'm not really blind..."
Feige: "We have? Well anyway, I'm calling you to ask you if you want to come to a costume fitting for Avengers 4."
Charlie: "What?! Oh my god, yes, I'd love to! I did not expect to fin-"
Feige: "Excellent! Thank you, you're really saving our asses here. Richard Madden can't make it but you're about the same height and build so I thought... Charlie?... Charlie, are you crying?..."

This rings false to me.

Not sure Kevin Feige is aware of Charlie Cox's existence.

Famassu

Yeah I have. It's still better than any MCU movie could ever hope to be and probably the best superhero movie after TDK.

The whole trilogy really. Yes, even SM3.
Eh? At the very least Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Avengers and GOTG 1&2 crap on 1 & 3 from great heights (especially 3, more arguably so on 1 with some of them, 3 is dumbster fire and I'd rather watch Thor 2 than Raimi's Spindelmann 3). Personally prefer many of them to 2 as well.

There's just something a bit too campy (the bad, unintended kind) about all of Raimi's Spider-Mans, Tobey is the worst Peter/Spider-Man, Spider-Man himself is kind of meh as far as nailing his acrobatics/movement/behaviour/antics go vs. even the two otherwise inferior Amazing Spider-Man movies (Andrew Garfield was a better Peter and his Spider-Man was vastly better done as well just in how he acted and moved and fought, it's just the story/narrative around him that sucks), and the action simply doesn't hold up to the best stuff that the best MCU movies have to offer. I mean, drama-wise they are good at offering action with meaning to it, but choreography/execution is so far behind some of the awesome action scenes in movies like Winter Soldier.

Many MCU movies get me pumped with their action through sheer awesomeness/coolness factor (even when there's less emotional involvement/importance on some of the action scenes), very few action scenes in Raimi's Spider-Man movies are exciting & well done in that way, imho. The train fight in 2 being one of the only good ones, even the last fight in 1 was kinda lame. It had some suspense thanks to the story context but the choreographies/action itself was meh.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, i reflect my opinions on my posts. I enjoyed every single minute of GotG2. Most fun i had in the cinemas this year. Whereas WW had a servicable first act, blasting second and a downright mediocre third.

Pretty much how I felt. Well, except having the most fun part, that honor goes to Get Out.

Is the spiderman 2 stuff a meme or something?

Yous are fucking wildin going on like it's something special. Boring as all fucking hell that movie

And yeah nowadays it looks like a power Rangers episode

Charamiwa

Banned

Yous are fucking wildin going on like it's something special. Boring as all fucking hell that movie

I think it's just an expectation kind of thing, what you look for in a movie. To me the MCU films tend to all look the same and I stopped watching them after a while. I'm sure if you care about the characters and the continuity it's a treat, but as standalone movies they all go for the same kind of formula.

Meanwhile Raimi or Burton gave us superhero films carried by their style. In Spider Man 2 you go from this to this. Those kind of scenes play exactly to Raimi's strenght as a filmmaker and make the film so unique. You don't tend to see this kind of thing in the MCU, where the formula is more rigid and most of the comedy is self referential and meta. It's Ant Man saying "wasn't my idea" to acknowledge how stupid his name is, or GotG using the same tropes as any other MCU film but use a joke to defuse it and turn it on its head at the last minute, which I don't find particularly clever.

So again, I think that people look for different thing in a superhero movie. If you're a fan of the comics, I'm sure the MCU format is more fitting.

No, it's not a meme. It's widely regarded as one of the best superhero films of all time. Only The Dark Knight and Superman '78 receive the same level of near-universal appreciation.

I think it's just an expectation kind of thing, what you look for in a movie. To me the MCU films tend to all look the same and I stopped watching them after a while. I'm sure if you care about the characters and the continuity it's a treat, but as standalone movies they all go for the same kind of formula.

Meanwhile Raimi or Burton gave us superhero films carried by their style. In Spider Man 2 you go from this to this. Those kind of scenes play exactly to Raimi's strenght as a filmmaker and make the film so unique. You don't tend to see this kind of thing in the MCU, where the formula is more rigid and most of the comedy is self referential and meta. It's Ant Man saying "wasn't my idea" to acknowledge how stupid his name is, or GotG using the same tropes as any other MCU film but use a joke to defuse it and turn it on its head at the last minute, which I don't find particularly clever.

So again, I think that people look for different thing in a superhero movie. If you're a fan of the comics, I'm sure the MCU format is more fitting.

I agree with you but many fans of the comics such as myself also prefer when filmmakers do their own thing. It's not like the comics themselves are consistent. All I want is a good movie. And Raimi did a fantastic job with Spider-Man 1 and 2.

JayCB

Just woke up and saw the negativity people are talking so I went back through like 4 pages in a panic and there aren't even new impressions, just those old ones that are extremely positive..what.

Did y'all just read the "Third best Spider-man" one and stop there?

Edit - and now Spider-Man 2 hate? Who hurt you GAF?

Monocle

This is pure opinion, and your view skews very negative compared to critical and audience consensus.

Maybe you'd have more of a point if you contrasted GotG2's joke structure, content, and presentation with movies you think do a better job?

GotG2 seems to be aiming for a pretty specific tone, and its jokes are mostly of the variety that reveal things about the characters. I don't know how it could be the same kind of movie without its staccato pace of jokes and visual gags to balance the earnest emotional moments. GotG2's humor does a lot of the heavy lifting with regard to character development.

Maybe the pace of the jokes annoyed you, so you decided to dismiss the substance of the movie as frivolous banter when in fact there's something more to it.

Really pleased that this is good. I detest superhero movies nowadays but I will always have a space in my life for Spiderman. I even quite liked the Garfield one.

takriel

I'll wait for non-American impressions because Americans tend to be hyped about everything, especially superhero movies :p

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
lol at the person that complained about not seeing the origin story. Thank goodness they didn't cover that again.

Charamiwa

Banned
lol at the person that complained about not seeing the origin story. Thank goodness they didn't cover that again.

He's not complaining, he just says that without it the film doesn't carry as much weight.

William Bibbiani @WilliamBibbiani
That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't carry nearly as much weight as the first two Sam Raimi films. So #SpiderManHomecoming feels fluffier.

I roll my eyes whenever anyone says their movie has a John Hughes tone, but Spidey actually nails it.

Now this is really relevant to me, I miss those kind of movies a lot.

On topic: Tobey is the worst Spider-man ever. Molina was perfect but you can't make a great Spider-man movie with a garbage Spider.

timberger

Good to hear it sounds as good as it looked in the trailers.

Looks like the salt from people that want it to be bad is approaching Wonder Woman levels though, lol.

Top Bottom