• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptic

Switch over to dumbbell bench, you can go up in 5lbs increments per hand and typically whatever you lift with dumbbells you can do more with barbell. There's also the added bonus of never being afraid of being caught stuck under the weight.

You know I think I'm going to give this is a shot. I've been shying away because ultimately I want good bench press form so I have to practice it to get that, but I'm tired of not seeing results after so long.
I also don't like to call over random spotters because I can't trust them still so this will at least help with that besides relieving me of "mediocre" days.

EDIT: Those are also dunkin donut muffins and a few crumbly donut shits so not only do those muffins sucks ass invariably everything combined will be dry as fuck. You ever eat so much dry shit that you feel it begin to build in your throat and you start to feel like you're eating sand?
That shit ain't for the Rock, nah, with that money I'd never eat asscakes, dude prolly has em made in some san francisco shit and flown into his castle by johnny depp dropping fucking glaze and sprinkles as he comes.

maxxpower

That would take me three days to eat. No way he eats that all at once

I used to be able to eat a lot of stuff for my cheat meals but I don't know what happened because now I can't even finish a medium pizza and some chips. I used to be able to eat a large pizza, a bigass bag of chips, a slice of cake, and a box of Rainbow Nerds. Not anymore.

Noema

For all you guys that have bulked up to 200+ pounds, and I say this without trying to be insulting, I cannot imagine ever weighing that much. I'm on the ass end of my bulk, and I'm clocking in at only about 170 with hopes of hitting 175 before I cut down to about 155-160 for the summer. I feel like having a number below 160 is kind of emasculating because it feels small as shit, but at the same time I feel like after I go above that number I start sweating like a pig at the smallest exertion.

I'm 6'2" 220lb and I look like a beanpole with love handles. When I started lifting 2 years ago I was 160lb. If I'm a beanpole at 220lb just imagine how I looked when I was 160lb.

I used to be able to eat a lot of stuff for my cheat meals but I don't know what happened because now I can't even finish a medium pizza and some chips. I used to be able to eat a large pizza, a bigass bag of chips, a slice of cake, and a box of Rainbow Nerds. Not anymore.

I struggled to eat a regular bag of skittles last night. Too much sweetness or something...never thought I'd hear myself say that

agrajag

Banned
around 170 lbs. in this picture. No muscles at all, obviously, but I'm working on it..

agra_zps3b9bdbd7.jpg

I don't think I'm THAT tiny for my height (5'7"), there are some people that posted in this thread before that they're 5'10" or 5'11" and 135-140 lbs. or something.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
at the moment, incline dumb bell bench is my favorite exercise. followed by pullups and then squats. I hate squats.
Maybe this will shift the direction of the thread. My top three favorite exercises are pullups, squats, and OHP.

Noema

Maybe this will shift the direction of the thread. My top three favorite exercises are pullups, squats, and OHP.

My favorites are Deadlift, (because its the one lift I'm not abysmal at); bench and chin-ups.

I loathe squats with all my heart and I fear them with all my soul. Nothing in this worlds scares me like heavy squats.

Mik2121

Jesus, I just had quite the conversation with a workmate...

He wanted to know how to train certain muscles at home and I explained him what to do using dumbbells or elastic bands he could buy for cheap and then he asked about my gym and how much it costed. Then he surprised me saying it was so expensive, and how he could never understand how people would go there.

Then we did (asked by him) some maths to see how much I was paying per hour of gym (I go about 1 hour every day, 5 days a week) and how much I was losing every day I didn't go, etc... and then he said (seriously) that the iPhone was so much better because of how much you use it compared to the gym and how it was better to spend money on it.

I tried to tell him you can't compare either and how owning an iPhone would hardly make you any healthier so that'd be one positive thing towards the gym, but he would not agree.. now I'm listening to music on my headphones and ignoring him, lol.

Have you guys meet people like this before? lol...

abuC

You know I think I'm going to give this is a shot. I've been shying away because ultimately I want good bench press form so I have to practice it to get that, but I'm tired of not seeing results after so long.
I also don't like to call over random spotters because I can't trust them still so this will at least help with that besides relieving me of "mediocre" days.

Yeah give it a shot, I went with them primarily because I didn't feel like asking for a spot when I first started out and the power cage at the gym always had someone in it. Just remember, the total amount of weight will be less than what you lift with BB, but you should be able to lift more when/if you switch back over.

Big-E

My favorites are Deadlift, (because its the one lift I'm not abysmal at); bench and chin-ups.

I loathe squats with all my heart and I fear them with all my soul. Nothing in this worlds scares me like heavy squats.

Same here. I always have to prepare a little and usually fuck around more between sets of squats compared to any other exercise.

abuC

at the moment, incline dumb bell bench is my favorite exercise. followed by pullups and then squats. I hate squats.

My favorites would be weighted dips, DB bench and deadlift.

I too hate squats, mainly because my gym had the great wisdom to put the squat racks on the 3rd floor...no elevator.

Cooter

Yeah give it a shot, I went with them primarily because I didn't feel like asking for a spot when I first started out and the power cage at the gym always had someone in it. Just remember, the total amount of weight will be less than what you lift with BB, but you should be able to lift more when/if you switch back over.
I rotate BB and DB every week. Love it!

balddemon

Banned
My favorites would be weighted dips, DB bench and deadlift.

I too hate squats, mainly because my gym had the great wisdom to put the squat racks on the 3rd floor...no elevator.

haha. all the weights are on the 2nd floor of my gym. it does suck. but at least you have got two completely healthy legs :p walking down the stairs is already a near death sentence for me lmao. and since I do legs every day....it's a damn near guarantee I'll slip at least once if I'm not careful.

abuC

I rotate BB and DB every week. Love it!

I do heavy DB bench on Monday, then high rep incline and decline bench on Thursday (10x10 for Decline), can't do flat BB bench because of my shoulder.

haha. all the weights are on the 2nd floor of my gym. it does suck. but at least you have got two completely healthy legs :p walking down the stairs is already a near death sentence for me lmao. and since I do legs every day....it's a damn near guarantee I'll slip at least once if I'm not careful.

LOL, well that's pretty hardcore to be there with only one good leg.

Cooter

I do heavy DB bench on Monday, then high rep incline and decline bench on Thursday (10x10 for Decline), can't do flat BB bench because of my shoulder.

Damn that's a ton of volume! I'm down to only 2 exercises a week. BB bench & DB bench one week and DB bench & BB incline the next. I've been using 10,8,6,4 for a couple years now. It seems to give me the best results. I would be spent if I did your routine.

abuC

Damn that's a ton of volume! I'm down to only 2 exercises a week. BB bench & DB bench one week and DB bench & BB incline the next. I've been using 10,8,6,4 for a couple years now. It seems to give me the best results. I would be spent if I did your routine.

I did german volume training over the summer and really liked it so I've shoehorned it into Layne Norton's program so on hypertrophy days I do something similar to GVT. The volume gives a ridiculous pump not sure it does much for building muscle but my chest has really started to round out now.

balddemon

Banned

LOL, well that's pretty hardcore to be there with only one good leg.

one interesting thing is that my left calf is freaking amazing now. and my right calf will get there since I'm doing so many calf raises to strengthen my ankle. should be legit.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't think that food is all just for one person. There has to be a partner in crime violating that insulin nightmare. Looks so good.

My favorite exercise right now is walking on my treadmill. :) I made it to 12 minutes yesterday. Started at 8 minutes last Monday. So I guess things are getting pretty serious now.
For those that don't know I'm recovering for Achilles surgery. Full mid tendon rupture December 23rd. My goal three months from now is to walk normally and to be able to do a calf raise all the way up.

But back in the day before I started falling apart my favorite exercises were
1. Squats
2. Bent Over Barbell Row
3. Incline Dumbbell Presses

I used to feast on Squats. I miss them. Have been told never again. 3 bulging discs from wear and tear, bad decisions and bad luck and the cartilage on the inside of my left knee cap is destroyed. Only time it flares us is when I'm doing full squats.

I never trained squats with the 5 or 6 rep count way of thinking. My leg training principles were to pick a weight you would fail on between 10-12 reps load 85-90% onto the bar and then get to 20 reps per set. The first 10 to 12 reps were performed like any other set, after 12 reps I would stand and catch my breath and then get 2 more reps out and carry that on until I had to do singles to reach 20. The thinking behind it was that leg muscles were so much more dense, that higher reps were needed to recruit all the muscle fibers etc... Leg presses, hack squat were the same principles but 30 reps were the goal.
It was crazy.

Cudder

Can I ask if you've ever done one of the "tried and true" routines like SS or 531? Or have you always just done your own thing in the gym?

It seems like you have a great handle on what exercises work absolutely best for you, just wanted to know if you got that from trying a whole bunch of programs or just fucking around on your part.

Darren870

So I have been working out for 7 years now. I feel I have my routine down good and enjoy the exercises I do. Of course I have dips, like everyone else, where motivation is lacking and I put on a few pounds. Right now though I am focused and into it again.

Anyways, what I really want to improve is my core strength and my flexibility. Both are lacking...a lot I would say...

Any tips or recommendations? Any workouts to follow/read up on? Any youtube videos? Any classes I should look into or take? Being in London its pretty easy to find something, so I wouldn't mind.

SeanR1221

Top 3 for me are Deadlifts, Squats and Pendlay rows. Deadlifts and Squats just make me feel like beast mode. Plus, us former fat dudes have good legs from carrying so much weight around. Pendlay rows just look cool and are an awesome explosive exercise.

Zoe

So I have been working out for 7 years now. I feel I have my routine down good and enjoy the exercises I do. Of course I have dips, like everyone else, where motivation is lacking and I put on a few pounds. Right now though I am focused and into it again.

Anyways, what I really want to improve is my core strength and my flexibility. Both are lacking...a lot I would say...

Any tips or recommendations? Any workouts to follow/read up on? Any youtube videos? Any classes I should look into or take? Being in London its pretty easy to find something, so I wouldn't mind.

Yoga

SeanR1221

Flexibility you say?

http://www.mobilitywod.com

ToxicAdam

Find a good gym that offers kettlebell and power yoga classes. Probably going to be pricey in London, though.

despire

No one asked this yet but what is it that you exactly do? What's your routine? You only mention dips.

Personally I find that squats and deadlifts (and OHP) are best for your core. And hanging leg raises.

Petrie

Banned
No one asked this yet but what is it that you exactly do? What's your routine? You only mention dips.

Personally I find that squats and deadlifts (and OHP) are best for your core. And hanging leg raises.

I don't think he meant he does dips. He means dips as in periods you don't work out seriously. I misread it at first too.

sphinx

the piano man
can you guys please suggest some tricep focused exercises? if possible with a youtube video you'd actually recommend so I can see exactly how it's done or how you suggest it should be done.

machines, freeweight/bodyweight, anything goes.

thanks.

Szu

can you guys please suggest some tricep focused exercises? if possible with a youtube video you'd actually recommend so I can see exactly how it's done or how you suggest it should be done.

machines, freeweight/bodyweight, anything goes.

thanks.

Well, I've switched my focus on my triceps in a somewhat vain attempt to lean them out.

In addition to what Sean posted, I've also included these workouts.

Triceps DB Kickbacks
I prefer the dual arm version, saves time and it feels more intense.

Triceps DB Extensions
I do both dual arm and single arm.

andycapps

I've posted my max lifts before, they are all at or above the advanced charts that I have seen for my weight class. The last set of numbers were my goals, which would be more in line with the elite level for my weight class.

I agree with your argument about sub 200 numbers being light, but I am in the same camp as Rando, in which I care about reaching that certain aesthetic as much as I care about reaching my max lift potential.

Do what you want to do, man. Your numbers are insane and I'm jelly at them and I'm 6'1" and 220, though I'm a novice still. Ideally my goal is probably sub 200 but lean at my height. Going for more of the Cooter look. I guess describing it as an NFL CB is probably a good analogy.

At the Y I work out at one of the employees/trainers comes from a powerlifting background and she's always posting monthly athlete challenges. Well this month is 5 pullups with as much weight as you can handle. I saw some dudes I know had already done 100 lbs and I was like, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Oh and an eight-year old who did 10 lbs which is awesome :)

Anyways I tried it with 45 and had to kip to get the last one so it didn't count. I have decided I need to start doing weighted pull-ups. Suddenly 15 at bodyweight feels like plenty.

derder

Woot. Just started weightlifting in January, but got injured in feb. Just went for a max deadlift and got 275! When I started, I was doing 3x5 130 deadlifts.

Twix

I think the interesting part is being seen by other people. When I am at the gym, I am a fucking nobody. There are countless guys on another level on all accounts: strength, development, aesthetics, etc.

but I go for a walk or dinner with a tight shirt and sometimes I feel the stare of people. When that happens, I think " you gotta be kidding me, come on, I am a pack of bones compared to everybody in the gym, no need to stare".. and yet I suspect that for those guys or girls staring that are overweight and can barely do physical activity, what I have is remarkable in some way, no matter how insignificant I think it is ... is a matter of perception.

I highly doubt this actually happens.

andycapps

Giving it a go...armed with coffee and water. This is what my calculator came up with.

I put Sedentary as my multiplier because despite walking daily and lifting 3 days a week I have a desk job and also sit on my ass at home.

cbktaNB.png

I think your carbs on training days are off. That seems like a ton of carbs if you're not bulking. I've used this calculator in the past. I'm not currently doing LG, but I'm using some IF type stuff right now and eating right.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think your carbs on training days are off. That seems like a ton of carbs if you're not bulking. I've used this calculator in the past. I'm not currently doing LG, but I'm using some IF type stuff right now and eating right.

I didn't set my carb macros, and I guess this is a leangains specific calculator (carb backloading). I guess they want you to go higher carb and lower fat on workout days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom