• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

Because it's very close to what many athletic women weigh. Not really that hard to grasp.

Which athletic women? From what I'm seeing female athletes at 5'7" weight around 130 lbs

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/samantha_prahalis/
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/soccer/alex-morgan-1131355/
http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/becky_hammon/

If one just cares about aesthetics only, why care about how much you weigh? Isn't the goal to look good regardless of how much you weigh?

My thoughts anyway. I can understand wanting to reach lets say 175 @ 12% bf because you once weighed 190 and are trying to cut down. But to say specifically, I want to way this much, never made any sense.

If my logic makes any sense lol.

I care nothing for numbers. I'm just saying that I'm not a power lifter, who is 5'7" and will weigh likely in the 165 range when cut and I think I look fine. I'd pay attention to my weight if I competed.

I'm posting this knowing it's going to sound inflametory, but it's not meant to.

What's the goal aesthetically of being that light? Ambercombie (can't be bothered to look up the spelling) type model?

Shit, even packing on 25 more lbs more than that )of lean mass) and you end up with a Cooter esque body that looks really good.

175 will look quite a bit different than sub 160.

Also, no idea who Chris Jones is.

Assuming we are talking about the youtuber Chris Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJKZm9OqheI

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If one just cares about aesthetics only, why care about how much you weigh? Isn't the goal to look good regardless of how much you weigh?

My thoughts anyway. I can understand wanting to reach lets say 175 @ 12% bf because you once weighed 190 and are trying to cut down. But to say specifically, I want to way this much, never made any sense.

If my logic makes any sense lol.

Was gonna post the same question, but decided not to.

Here's who I'd like to look like some day. This guy from lift big eat big (I think it's Marshall?)

leg+day.PNG

No, that's Pastor and I can't stand him OR Marshall. Both are ignorant twats 90% of the time.

Hence me saying close. Sub 160 is too fucking close to 130 for a man.

Assuming we are talking about the youtuber Chris Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJKZm9OqheI

That dude is like 5 foot 4. His ear is at light switch level! He's also 184, already cut and NOT sub 160.

Imm0rt4l

Yea Jones is ripped but he's not shredded since he's not competing

I'll probably post photos this summer. For a more immediate reference, I think Chris Jones shredded would be like 175 or something and I think he's 5'8"/9". And dude's a monster.
chris Jones is 5'6. And I agree he'd be shredded at that weight. Ogus is completely shredded at 165ish iirc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, it looks like there are two camps in FitGaf lol. I still love everybody :)

Here's another reference. Julia here is only 5'2 and weighs 123lbs right now (getting ready for a show) but trains regularly at 130 AT 5 foot two!!!!!!!!!!!

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=62480

Haha is there a story behind this? I've read some good stuff from LBEB.

Watch closely, from time to time some really stupid shit pops up. I remember getting into it with pastor before and he gave me shit thinking I was some random troll who can't deadlift over 500. That's why I also posted this deadlift video on their FB page.

I'm at about 170 and 5'11" right now, the absolute heaviest I'd want to get up to in the next year is 180. This is mostly for athletic reasons, but I don't imagine I'd want to get much heavier after I graduate from college. Although I'm sure I will

And I'm actually heavy compared to the other long sprinters. Most of the guys are sitting around 150

moocow

Which is why I made that post in the first place. I would much rather weigh more than my current weight if it fit in with my goals. The 165 I put out earlier isn't a number that I am dead set on hitting, it was just an approximate number that I feel would be my around peak number for being cut at. Cut meaning sub 12% because I am floating around 12 percent right now.

If I can hit a 500+ deadlift a 315+ bench and a 405+ squat while maintaining my current weight, I don't understand how you would feel that the just the weight alone should make me feel like less of a man though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, it looks like there are two camps in FitGaf lol. I still love everybody :)

Always has been and that's fine. Everyone has their goals. It's just easier for someone like me to grasp the "bodybuilding crowd" like Darth (the bigger body builders) as opposed to the guys going for the more "thin aesthetic" look (sorry don't know what better to call it).

Nothing wrong with it, shit, it's all opinion anyway. Just in my head I can't help but think, "dude, my sister in law weighs nearly what you do." It would drive me insane.

Imm0rt4l

I feel small at 5'10 193lbs. But my goal is still 185 for aesthetic purposes. Currently ~10% bf. I'm someone who normally walks around at 215-20 so this cut has me feeling fucking puny.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Which is why I made that post in the first place. I would much rather weigh more than my current weight if it fit in with my goals. The 165 I put out earlier isn't a number that I am dead set on hitting, it was just an approximate number that I feel would be my around peak number for being cut at. Cut meaning sub 12% because I am floating around 12 percent right now.

If I can hit a 500+ deadlift a 315+ bench and a 405+ squat while maintaining my current weight, I don't understand how you would feel that the just the weight alone should make me feel like less of a man though.

Anyone can say they "can" hit those numbers it's another to do it, and prove it.

I feel small at 5'10 193lbs. But my goal is still 185 for aesthetic purposes. Currently ~10% bf. I'm someone who normally walks around at 215-20 so this cut has me feeling fucking puny.

Dude, you 10lbs lighter would be pretty fucking lean.

moocow

Anyone can say they "can" hit those numbers it's another to do it, and prove it.

I may have misspoke, I don't need to prove anything to anyone for any sort of validation. I am just curious since this topic went in this direction, it seems to suddenly be more about what a person weighs over their lifts. I was just trying to ask that if a person can be that light and put up respectable numbers, why do they need to weigh 20-30 pounds more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Opened my mint chocolate body fortress BOGOHO whey and the scooper was on top. THE. SCOOPER. WAS. ON. TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may have misspoke, I don't need to prove anything to anyone for any sort of validation. I am just curious since this topic went in this direction, it seems to suddenly be more about what a person weighs over their lifts. I was just trying to ask that if a person can be that light and put up respectable numbers, why do they need to weigh 20-30 pounds more.

It's more about weight because you're dead set on a weight. How about quit worrying about the scale and more on what the mirror looks like. And respectable numbers to one person may not be to another. Depends on how much of an asshole one or the other person is. What context the numbers are being attributed to etc.

For example. If a dude weighs say 140lbs and a woman athlete has comparable numbers to his lifts, there might be a problem.

But if two dudes weigh 140 lbs and one can't bench the bar and the other does a whopping 135, dude with two wheels is a powerhouse.

I don't give a fuck what you weigh, I wouldn't wanna be as small as my sister in law. Bottom line. If she can push me and move me out of the way I've failed as a man. (hyperbole).

DO YOU BROSEPHINOPOLOUS.

BTW If you're "hitting those numbers" or close to it, you should look into competing since you're Master class and nearly "elite total" in the gym. I'm personally in the "prove it" crowd when someone claims those numbers, especially at that weight.

rando14

Always has been and that's fine. Everyone has their goals. It's just easier for someone like me to grasp the "bodybuilding crowd" like Darth (the bigger body builders) as opposed to the guys going for the more "thin aesthetic" look (sorry don't know what better to call it).

I'm not one to usually post Matt Ogus video (dont like the guy at all) but he has nice aesthetics that I'd like to get.

Here's a video from two years ago where he cut down for a contest, he's at 160 at 5'6". I dunno if you think this is a "thin aesthetic look" but I think it's a good example of close to what my ideals are in terms of aesthetics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa29RytL5a0 edit: full body at 1:10 mark

It's more about weight because you're dead set on a weight. How about quit worrying about the scale and more on what the mirror looks like. And respectable numbers to one person may not be to another. Depends on how much of an asshole one or the other person is. What context the numbers are being attributed to etc.

For example. If a dude weighs say 140lbs and a woman athlete has comparable numbers to his lifts, there might be a problem.

But if two dudes weigh 140 lbs and one can't bench the bar and the other does a whopping 135, dude with two wheels is a powerhouse.

I don't give a fuck what you weigh, I wouldn't wanna be as small as my sister in law. Bottom line. If she can push me and move me out of the way I've failed as a man. (hyperbole).

Again a divide b/w aesthetics and powerlifting. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm not one to usually post Matt Ogus video (dont like the guy at all) but he has nice aesthetics that I'd like to get.

Here's a video from two years ago where he cut down for a contest, he's at 160 at 5'6". I dunno if you think this is a "thin aesthetic look" but I think it's a good example of close to what my ideals are in terms of aesthetics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa29RytL5a0 edit: full body at 1:10 mark

If either of you look like that at 5'7" I'd change my tune. Does look pretty small though, but he is physically impressive.

Also, something seems to happen with these guys at 5'6 and below. It's like gravity give them props for being so close to the earth and makes them mythical beasts. lol.

Ever seen John Meadows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26XcXk8GAgo

And again, this is clearly all opinion. I'm not espousing any of this as fact.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hmm.

So ~15 pounds looks quite a bit different, but twice that (30 lbs) is "too fucking close"?

Just sayin'

15lbs on a man. A lean man at that. Also, I said SUB 160, that means potentially MORE than 15lbs. ;)

Also women carry more body fat, smaller bones less mass in general, etc. Weight looks a little different on them. Another reason I posted Julia a few posts later at 5 foot 2 and 123lbs.

moocow

BTW If you're "hitting those numbers" or close to it, you should look into competing since you're Master class and nearly "elite total" in the gym. I'm personally in the "prove it" crowd when someone claims those numbers, especially at that weight.

I've posted my max lifts before, they are all at or above the advanced charts that I have seen for my weight class. The last set of numbers were my goals, which would be more in line with the elite level for my weight class.

I agree with your argument about sub 200 numbers being light, but I am in the same camp as Rando, in which I care about reaching that certain aesthetic as much as I care about reaching my max lift potential.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've posted my max lifts before, they are all at or above the advanced charts that I have seen for my weight class. The last set of numbers were my goals, which would be more in line with the elite level for my weight class.

I agree with your argument about sub 200 numbers being light, but I am in the same camp as Rando, in which I care about reaching that certain aesthetic as much as I care about reaching my max lift potential.

I'd aim for Meadows.

Do yourself a favor, aim for Meadows. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28Pwqw7PWA

Ripclawe

Banned
worked out but had some sort of pain in my upper back left side that made it difficult to do any exercise requiring me to lay down on a bench. Hoping it was just a slightly pulled muscle.

Dwayne The Rock Johnson
Liked · 24 minutes ago

If you're gonna do it.. have fun & be EPIC.

Yup, it was this kind of day.

72812_10151668952774384_890809200_n.jpg

Good lord almighty....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know someone posted that the body fortress buy one get one whey was shit the other day.

Well I just had the chocolate mint one and it was decent. So before the month is over, if you're going to double dip, get that one.

Now I'm off for the night. Gotta get dat rest to watch the neck stabbers.

I think your perspective is a bit skewed because you're built like a brick shithouse. I'm 6'2" and it's only after extended and concerted bulking that I'm consistently weighing above 80kg (176lbs). I couldn't give two hoots about staying lean and skinny for aesthetics, but if I'm making vague goals about my weight the numbers are going to be lower than someone who's got a larger frame; that's just acknowledging reality.

Also, the difference in lean mass between a fit 140lbs woman and a 'cut' 160lbs man is likely to be around 30lbs, with the male being significantly stronger pound for pound. Not that it matters.

That's entirely possible which is what Rando keeps popping in to say. ;)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

DO YOU BROSEPHINOPOLOUS.

I think your perspective is a bit skewed because you're built like a brick shithouse. I'm 6'2" and it's only after extended and concerted bulking that I'm consistently weighing above 80kg (176lbs). I couldn't give two hoots about staying lean and skinny for aesthetics, but if I'm making vague goals about my weight the numbers are going to be lower than someone who's got a larger frame; that's just acknowledging reality.

Also, the difference in lean mass between a fit 140lbs woman and a 'cut' 160lbs man is likely to be around 30lbs, with the male being significantly stronger pound for pound. Not that it matters.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've been as high as 210 and at 5'10 I felt like a grizzly bear! Everyone has a goal weight and look. I also think everyones body has a natural weight range that it will gravitate to. Some people have to work hard to maintain 190 at 5'10 while others at the exact height have to count calories to stay there. Also, some people have larger frames which has to increase weight. Bottom line IMO, pick a weight/look and be one of the strongest fuckers out there at that weight!

160 and "cut" for a male doesn't compute to me. My sister in law is 140 and fit as hell. A man shouldn't weigh 160 and under if he can help it IMO. You're basically in the women's category at that weight athletically.

Attitudes and rhetoric like this are what helps turn people off of weightlifting. A lot of guys would rather look like this (5'9", 155 lbs) than a WWE pro wrestler. Different strokes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Attitudes and rhetoric like this are what helps turn people off of weightlifting. A lot of guys would rather look like this (5'9", 155 lbs) than a WWE pro wrestler. Different strokes.

Such strange people.

Put me in Camp Meat - if you're gonna lift, go bananas and get MONSTER SIZED. Camp Little is fine, but I love huge.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I feel like we have this conversation every few months, or some variation of it. Which is fine, especially since they all go much better than initial ones did, lol.

As for those pics above, no way in hell I'd want to be that small. I'd love to be leaner than I am now (which I'm actually doing), yes, never that small.

Anyway, again, if anyone is still interested in that whey, the mint chocolate is actually good.

Such strange people.

Put me in Camp Meat - if you're gonna lift, go bananas and get MONSTER SIZED. Camp Little is fine, but I love huge.

Pretty much.

Although I draw the "bananas" line at anabolics/hormones/etc.

Just me though, I don't have a problem with others using them (so long as they aren't competing in "so called" drug free competitions, not to be confused with "tested" competitions).

Now off to sleepy time for reals.

SeanR1221

I've been as high as 210 and at 5'10 I felt like a grizzly bear! Everyone has a goal weight and look. I also think everyones body has a natural weight range that it will gravitate to. Some people have to work hard to maintain 190 at 5'10 while others at the exact height have to count calories to stay there. Also, some people have larger frames which has to increase weight. Bottom line IMO, pick a weight/look and be one of the strongest fuckers out there at that weight!

You should be a life coach.

kylej

Banned
Part of the fun of weightlifting to me is not worrying about numbers on a scale. I want to get as big as possible, it's more fun imo.

Also, RE: Chris Jones and other "natural" people who make a living by looking good on YouTube; I wouldn't compare yourself to them, because their natural is probably not your natural.

Skeyser

Benson is probably quite a bit heavier than that, 155 is for the weigh-in, dehydrated to the max and everything.

Petrie

Banned
Thread got fun huh?

It's take me years to get anywhere close to big, it just isn't in my genes, slightly low testosterone and such plus fun diabetes. Plus I want to enjoy things with my girl, who wants to run a few 5ks together this summer and such, which alters my goals. Realistically my goal in a few years would be to be competitive if I went on a Ninja Warrior style show or something, so getting huge makes no sense.

worked out but had some sort of pain in my upper back left side that made it difficult to do any exercise requiring me to lay down on a bench. Hoping it was just a slightly pulled muscle.

Good lord almighty....

That just makes my mouth water after a hard leg day.

Definitely feel like my lifts go much smoother on weekends when I'm not exhausted. Hit another Squat PR today and I didn't feel like I was gonna die on the final set and rep.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thread got fun huh?

It's take me years to get anywhere close to big, it just isn't in my genes, slightly low testosterone and such plus fun diabetes. Plus I want to enjoy things with my girl, who wants to run a few 5ks together this summer and such, which alters my goals. Realistically my goal in a few years would be to be competitive if I went on a Ninja Warrior style show or something, so getting huge makes no sense.

I get it. I tell people close to me that I'm going fot the NFL CB look! lol

abuC

I get it. I tell people close to me that I'm going fot the NFL CB look! lol

I was going for the NFL linebacker look (Patrick Willis/Ray Lewis) came pretty close before I started cutting, some woman asked me if I played football and I felt like this on the inside -

fyeah.jpg

I am 6"1, was around 240lbs this time last year.

grumble

Yeah there are very small boned people who might look good at lighter weights or whose goals are endurance related (ie long distance running, biking, whatever). I won't knock someone for accomplishing competitive goals.

I do think that sub-160 walk around weights for guys above 5'6" might be on the light side, but it depends so much on your height and frame. A guy who's 5'6" and 155 has a 25 BMI, so he isn't skinny as a rail or anything. If you're 5'10", 160 or less would put you firmly in the thin category. Muscle is heavy!

I'm 6 feet tall and would be happy at 185, assuming I can hit my numbers at that weight.

cryptic

I'll never get my bench up. Reading about all these women out benching me has hurt me deep. Save me from this misery oh shorter range of motion broscientists.

agrajag

Banned
People are all built differently, have different frames. I was around 155 skinnyfat a year ago, decided to bulk and got to 170, but it took constant gorging on food to get there. No way I could ever get near 200. Alien is only half an inch taller than me, but he has more mass everywhere. I have slender wrists and ankles, tiny calves, he has massive calves, etc. Genetics, how do they work?

rando14

I'm glad that this has sparked such conversation! At the end of the day, we're all out to obtain our goals and everyone here should support each other no matter what they are. BE THE BEST YOU THAT YOU CAN BE.

ibjscdNfC1IV4i.gif

I'll never get my bench up. Reading about all these women out benching me has hurt me deep. Save me from this misery oh shorter range of motion broscientists.

dippity dippity dip dip dips

abuC

Switch over to dumbbell bench, you can go up in 5lbs increments per hand and typically whatever you lift with dumbbells you can do more with barbell. There's also the added bonus of never being afraid of being caught stuck under the weight.

People are all built differently, have different frames. I was around 155 skinnyfat a year ago, decided to bulk and got to 170, but it took constant gorging on food to get there. No way I could ever get near 200. Alien is only half an inch taller than me, but he has more mass everywhere. I have slender wrists and ankles, tiny calves, he has massive calves, etc. Genetics, how do they work?

I agree. Sorry, I normally just lurk this thread since I do P90X and X2 at home. I have been doing it for more than a year now and my weight hovers around 130-134lbs and I eat pretty clean, and I am 5'5. I can't seem to help with the weight. If I do those exercises weight just comes straight off. I can try to eat more or eat fattier foods to gain weight but I'd rather eat healthier while I still can afford it.

So yeah, different goals and genetics.

Cagey

Banned

Good lord almighty....

Oh fuck him and his half-demigod genetics (and pharmaceutical kit, sure, but he was naturally a large dude). I had a chicken sandwich with the bread (!!) + fries + chipotle sauce and some cookies, plus an upcoming Fritos + Ni No Kuni binge. I ain't bout that cheat meal life.

kylej

Banned
I agree. Sorry, I normally just lurk this thread since I do P90X and X2 at home. I have been doing it for more than a year now and my weight hovers around 130-134lbs and I eat pretty clean, and I am 5'5. I can't seem to help with the weight. If I do those exercises weight just comes straight off. I can try to eat more or eat fattier foods to gain weight but I'd rather eat healthier while I still can afford it.

So yeah, different goals and genetics.

Well, that's not so much your body as the program your following. P90X is basically cardio.

abuC

Well, that's not so much your body as the program your following. P90X is basically cardio.

I did P90X in November/December with a weighted vest, you can get a decent pump from it and build muscle for some nice noob gains. Oddly enough, doing the upright rows in that program is how I hurt my shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom