• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Find a good gym that offers kettlebell and power yoga classes. Probably going to be pricey in London, though.

My gym does kettlebell classes so I am thinking about trying them. I have never done them before so it should be interesting. I might just ask a PT to show me the ropes for one or two sessions just so the first class isn't me accidentally throwing a kettlebell at someone.

Same goes with yoga, but there is a cheap studio next to my flat that I might try out instead.

No one asked this yet but what is it that you exactly do? What's your routine? You only mention dips.

Personally I find that squats and deadlifts (and OHP) are best for your core. And hanging leg raises.

Yea dips in motivation :)

Anyways yea I do squats, deadlifts and OHP and all that fun heavy bar workouts. The problem was the gym I go to (work gym) only has dumbbells up to 40kg and really no bar...well not a standard Olympic bar. So the most weight you can safely get on it is 40kg.

I've joined a real grimy gym recently though so I can do my dead lifts and squats again. I do that twice a week. Basically an old school golds gym that hasn't gotten any new equipment since the 80's but perfect for barbells and dumbbells.

Routine wise.. its pretty standard. Chest (presses/flys), Legs (squats), Back (deadlift/rows), Arms (curls, presses, kickbacks), Run, Abs.

Basically I want to do this, and there is no way I could with my core.

jason_statham_pole2.jpg

Thanks, I will check it out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Basically I want to do this, and there is no way I could with my core.

My goal is to get in position to do that, then bend the bar. Diff'rent strokes. :)

Real talk though, back in GRADE SCHOOL I knew a kid who could do that flag shit. Today? Professional male model, ripped as fuck. Dude's like 5'0 though so I still feel superior at 6'7".

Darren870

My goal is to get in position to do that, then bend the bar. Diff'rent strokes. :)

Real talk though, back in GRADE SCHOOL I knew a kid who could do that flag shit. Today? Professional male model, ripped as fuck. Dude's like 5'0 though so I still feel superior at 6'7".

Hahahhaha, I mean I know it might not be possible for me. I think its one of those things that you have to have the perfect height/weight/strength ratio. However, I at least want to f'n try and be somewhat successful at it. No way I could do that with my flexibility/core.

sphinx

the piano man

yeah, Dips are a must for anyone. From the tricep stuff I do, it's the best exercise I've got.

Thanks, these look good and are well explained. Will try

In addition to what Sean posted, I've also included these workouts.

Triceps DB Kickbacks
I prefer the dual arm version, saves time and it feels more intense.

I do these but I am fond of them. I just don't feel them. :/ but will try it like in the video, I do them with one knee on a bench, single arm sets. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahhaha, I mean I know it might not be possible for me. I think its one of those things that you have to have the perfect height/weight/strength ratio. However, I at least want to f'n try and be somewhat successful at it. No way I could do that with my flexibility/core.

The more I think about it the more insane strength I'd need at 6'7" to do that. You're right, you gotta have some kind of ratio.

balddemon

Banned
phew. woke up 30 minutes late, thought I wouldn't be able to work out today. turns out my mom is still sick :/

but at least I get to go to the gym.

agrajag

Banned
If you have to ask you probably arnt doing enough where that would be a problem ;)

Good, cause I feel like a fool running around each side to tak a 10lb plate off. I was just thinking, the bar itself is 45, shouldn't 2 plates on one side and the other side empty make it fall over? I always sucked at physics.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You can have 3 plates on one side with none on the other and it will hold. I've tested it before but I still like to cap it at 2 and a quarter.

agrajag

Banned
In other news, after much stagnation, all of my lifts are going up (except for ohp, ughhh). The reason? I learned how not to fucking burn myself out on warm up sets. I'm so stupid. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Can I ask if you've ever done one of the "tried and true" routines like SS or 531? Or have you always just done your own thing in the gym?

It seems like you have a great handle on what exercises work absolutely best for you, just wanted to know if you got that from trying a whole bunch of programs or just fucking around on your part.
I've always done my own thing. The constant has been increasing weight every set while my reps decrease and making sure that last set is as heavy as possible for 3 or 4 reps. I have always done two muscles a day. Never got in to push/pulll days. As far as sets and reps go I've tried most of them and for me 10,8,6,4 has worked the best for most exercises. There are more nuances to my workout now and if you're interested I can elaborate.

ToxicAdam

I love them when I'm done. But I hate them beforehand. I have 3 minutes before I head to the gym for squat day and I'm fearing/hating it. But the feeling of accomplishment after is what I love.

I'm usually so wiped after doing them that I don't want to do much else. Especially if I have deadlifts or hack squats planned afterwords. So, it kind of brings me down and makes me feel like I've had a bad workout.

I just need to learn to lie to myself (and believe it). It's the secret to success. :p

agrajag

Banned
well hey, if it works, it works!

I'm only going to take it once a week to avoid building a tolerance. Is that wise?

I'm not the best person to ask, I've only used it 4 or 5 times so far. I take two scoops every workout and it makes me feel like Superman every time. Alienshogun has used it extensively iirc, you should ask him.

bjb

Banned
Craze seems like a major waste of money. Creatine with a bunch of sugar, caffeine and broscience.

No thanks lol

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So it's been almost one month since I last did any sort of upper body workout. I've been wearing a brace 75 percent of the time during that period due to a serious wrist sprain that occurred back in December, but that I was too stubborn to get checked out. Eventually I couldn't do a push-up due to severe pain in my meniscus.

Well, I just got my MRI results back, and good news it's not a tear! X-rays confirmed it wasn't a broken bone several weeks ago. I just had a bad case of prolonged tendinitis. But my wrist is finally feeling okay again, and I'm so excited to gradually get back into working out.

Ah, the relief! A long rest is what I needed most, apparently.

agrajag

Banned
Craze seems like a major waste of money. Creatine with a bunch of sugar, caffeine and broscience.

No thanks lol

I don't care man! I can be drowsy as fuck in the middle of the night after working for 12 hours and take a scoop and it wakes me up and I can go do squats! I don't know what kind of broscience pixie dust they put in there, but it's the only pre-workout that had any kind of effect on me.

Szu

So it's been almost one month since I last did any sort of upper body workout. I've been wearing a brace 75 percent of the time during that period due to a serious wrist sprain that occurred back in December, but that I was too stubborn to get checked out. Eventually I couldn't do a push-up due to severe pain in my meniscus.

Well, I just got my MRI results back, and good news it's not a tear! X-rays confirmed it wasn't a broken bone several weeks ago. I just had a bad case of prolonged tendinitis. But my wrist is finally feeling okay again, and I'm so excited to gradually get back into working out.

Ah, the relief! A long rest is what I needed most, apparently.

Nice to hear that it's nothing too serious.

Fell better and get better, man.

On a lighter note, next time, fap with your other hand.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Other hand? You mean you guys don't use two hands to rub one out?

huh. interesting.

Two hands? You guys don't use a second person operating a crane to lift it for you so your hands don't get pinned?

I'm usually so wiped after doing them that I don't want to do much else. Especially if I have deadlifts or hack squats planned afterwords. So, it kind of brings me down and makes me feel like I've had a bad workout.

I just need to learn to lie to myself (and believe it). It's the secret to success. :p
hahaha I used to feel the same way. But I think the lower volume of 5/3/1 was what helped me appreciate it. I'm still worn the hell out after squats, but I'm surprised by how much I have left in the tank since I don't go batshit crazy on volume with them. Doing have leg press and lunges afterwards makes you feel like even more of a beast. I love the jelly legs walk of shame.

otapnam

hey guys whats the best android nutritional tracking app? Might try to follow leangains macros for once (since a few of you are doing it as well :) )

Szu

So, this is what happens to some of the food during some of the meetings in my office. It's like they know that I'm on my cut.

Barely touched.
vFPI10L.jpg

Meeting cancelled, food still in the wrapping.
CgcUuKx.jpg

ZqEo4cr.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel ya Szu. I have that same fucking issues. Catch and release those cookies though, fuck they look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom