• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
I should take a current shot at 198lbs just starting out LeanGains...would be nice I guess to have a before/after shot.

My before shot previous to this is me at 220lbs at my wedding. lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Or "that's too extreme"
Or a flat out, I can't do that. I love food too much. I feel like saying, well good luck with this whole weight loss thing. 90% of it is how much time you spend on the treadmill. Diet has very little to do with it!

grumble

I finally got back into a healthy diet and exercise routine 3 weeks ago, and one of my managers just mailed me homemade snickerdoodles. I'm staring at 5 cookies in a Ziploc baggie, and it's torturous. I haven't had cookies since the holidays, and I really, really, really want to devour this entire bag.

HELP ME!

You don't need to do something crazy and be extremely strict, because you have to keep this habit up for the rest of your life. The trick is to eat just enough of the bad stuff to keep you sustainable, and to make the good stuff as tasty as possible so you don't even miss the junk.

Maybe eat one cookie, but only one after each lifting session. Or just eat one now and throw the rest in the garbage. You have to cut down on the junk but you're kicking an addiction, it's not easy for your body to adjust its hormonal and neurotransmitter chemistry and takes time.

Keep us posted on your progress!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Or a flat out, I can't do that. I love food too much. I feel like saying, well good luck with this whole weight loss thing. 90% of it is how much time you spend on the treadmill. Diet has very little to do with it!

The thing is, if you love food too much, you should abandon the hope of a small, slim body. It's alright to be a big fat if that's what you can accept. I don't judge people on that. Be a fat, whatever - you're still a PERSON to me.

If you love food too much to adjust your intake for a long time, though, don't try to find some other shortcut.

grumble

I was gonna say something but decided its not worth it.

I really really really wish "eat your fruits and vegetables" was "eat fibrous vegetables and moderate your fruit"

I mean she had 25g of sugar in her juice alone.

You should see the nutrition for those smoothie bar drinks. They advertise as being healthy, but some of them have 70+ grams of sugar in them. 70+. your pancreas and waistline will explode.

It is true though that people can't always jump from 0-60 all at once. It might be best for them to make small changes. Some fun tricks are for people to eat off of smaller plates, to cut out liquid calories, something like that to get them started then you just add in more and more until their diet is pretty good and they're achieving their goals.

Cooter

The thing is, if you love food too much, you should abandon the hope of a small, slim body. It's alright to be a big fat if that's what you can accept. I don't judge people on that. Be a fat, whatever - you're still a PERSON to me.

If you love food too much to adjust your intake for a long time, though, don't try to find some other shortcut.
I couldn't care less if someone puts their love of food before their desire to have a slender healthy body. But.... Don't ask me for advice and then disregard it seconds later.

Addi

Today was the first time I have ever failed a squat and it wasn't even that heavy :S Thank god for the squat rack! A couple of years ago I would have felt so embarrassed, today I didn't give a shit. People were looking at me though, but it was mostly in a surprised/scared "is-that-what-you-have-to-do-when-you-fail?" kinda way. Half of the people in there aren't even sweating... Haven't seen that many cute girls in yoga pants in one place before though, so I'll stay there for a while :p

Fake Edit: Holy shit I sound like a douchebag bro...

Raxus

I need a really good breakfast. Do you guys prepare meals in advance to save time?

I am thinking of preparing my shakes in advance so I don't have to take the half hour to make them every day.

balddemon

Banned
Today was the first time I have ever failed a squat and it wasn't even that heavy :S Thank god for the squat rack! A couple of years ago I would have felt so embarrassed, today I didn't give a shit. People were looking at me though, but it was mostly in a surprised/scared "is-that-what-you-have-to-do-when-you-fail?" kinda way. Half of the people in there aren't even sweating... Haven't seen that many cute girls in yoga pants in one place before though, so I'll stay there for a while :p

it better have been over 375 pounds

Mully

My gym teacher and football coach friend just tried to talk to me about how 5/3/1 isn't going to stimulate my body like muscle confusion exercises will.

So, a football coach basically wants me to forget about the Olympic lifts that make the players he coaches and start doing Tony Horton shit to "get big."

grumble

When I failed my first squat it was 165. It happens!

Agreed on the girls. No one looks as good as a girl who works out and cares about her body.

I would say its 50/50. You can lose weight through one method exclusively but its a slow going process without the other half.

Also if your referring to "fasting" as your advice I understand people having that reaction. I did it for a month last spring and came away thinking it was fine but that going the no-carb route is much more to my liking. Plus even though it isn't it just sounds extreme.

Seems like poor form is fucking my shit up on deadlifts: http://www.livestrong.com/article/384904-can-deadlifts-irritate-the-piriformis-muscle/

Pain in my left buttocks shooting down my leg when I walk.

You lift with a partner or solo? I always have a mirror if I am solo to check my form. To easy to drop back into bad habits.

You fall to your knees or shrug the weight off?

andycapps

When I failed my first squat it was 165. It happens!

Agreed on the girls. No one looks as good as a girl who works out and cares about her body.

I failed a few weeks ago on my second set of 185. Not my proudest moment, but yeah, it happens. I've deloaded some and am working my way back up.

Deload week! Not too bad. I think I want to do calves everyday. They are so tiny ;_; Measured around 17 inches. Can be much, much better.

And I think I need to start to eat more. I feel like I am losing weight too fast. I'm sure it is from lack of carbs but I'm sitting around 231/232. Don't like it but I have gotten lots of comments on how big my arms are.

More traps/chest comments plz.

EPIC CHEAT MEAL!!!!

ge3pl1T.jpg

The best part.

All this sushi was free.

Just throw it all in my mouth.

CrankyJay

Banned
You lift with a partner or solo? I always have a mirror if I am solo to check my form. To easy to drop back into bad habits.

Solo...I go perpendicular to the mirror so I can check. I'm guessing that I'm lifting with my back before my knees are locked.

Gonna skip a few weeks of deads to see if this heals up. Squats feel okay but I'll go lighter today to be on the safe side.

Also..

yhRSh6Y.jpg

PBY

Banned
Brownie? You dun goofed.

Lol I think its the second best- heated up its pretty good.

Question- In my continuing quest to even out my bod (Read- shrink my thighs/butt), I've encountered issues in maintaining core/back/trap development. Thinking about incorporating Trap Bar Deadlifts... How much will that impact posterior development?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All that sushi. Good shit. I remember I used to eat 2 entire sushi boats, 30+ pieces each. I can eat sushi forever and NEVER get full.

Cooter

I would say its 50/50. You can lose weight through one method exclusively but its a slow going process without the other half.

Also if your referring to "fasting" as your advice I understand people having that reaction. I did it for a month last spring and came away thinking it was fine but that going the no-carb route is much more to my liking. Plus even though it isn't it just sounds extreme.
I'm not referring to fasting but rather a shift in what they eat. When you tell them to avoid large amounts of bread, pasta, and fruits you can see them checking out from the conversation.

About it being 50/50 I disagree. If I had to put it in percentages I would say 80% diet and 20% exercise is responsible for weight loss.

blackflag

I'm not referring to fasting but rather a shift in what they eat. When you tell them to avoid large amounts of bread, pasta, and fruits you can see them checking out from the conversation.

About it being 50/50 I disagree. If I had to put it in percentages I would say 80% diet and 20% exercise is responsible for weight loss.

Yeah at least 80-20 possibly 90-10. My soon to be ex went from fat to skinny without exercising once.

Ah gotcha yeah thats just ridiculous. People hate effort.

If your doing both I think it avg out to 80/20 but I think they bost stagnate to about the same rate is your doing one or the other.

sphinx

the piano man
I am sad as fuck...

one of my best friends, he began working out several months before I started and it was yet another thing we had in common. He says he's saturated with Gym talk and gym stuff and he'll quit.

after 2 years, he looked great, very disciplined, no bullshit guy.

watching anyone quit like that breaks my heart...

I would like to yell at him " MAN, YOU HAD IT, WAKE THE FUCK UP". but as a friend I can only support his decision....

and I don't give a fuck about aesthetics, you just don't quit what you started, I wished people took these things with more passion. I was so proud of him... bah, fuck it.

Imm0rt4l

I made the mistake of eating 1 sausage biscuit from mcdonalds along with my breakfast. ONE.

I have like 13 fats I can eat for the rest of the day now. Smh.

ONE

Nah man you just hatin on the squat gawd, that's a new technique you ain't up on just yet.
Shiiet, if thats the case he needs to help the kid hit a 600 deadlift

Attempting stupid amount of weight with 1/128 range of motion tomorrow.

abuC

Shiiet, if thats the case he needs to help the kid hit a 600 deadlift

Attempting stupid amount of weight with 1/128 range of motion tomorrow.

I'm bout that 1 inch press life now, gonna throw up 525lbs on the bench with the beard gawds technique.

blackflag

I am sad as fuck...

one of my best friends, he began working out several months before I started and it was yet another thing we had in common. He says he's saturated with Gym talk and gym stuff and he'll quit.

I would like to yell at him " MAN, YOU HAD IT, WAKE THE FUCK UP". but as a friend I can only support his decision....

and I don't give a fuck about aesthetics, you just don't quit what you started, I wished people took these things with more passion. I was so proud of him... bah, fuck it.

That's kind of strange, I go to the gym and I rarely ever talk to anyone. I just do my sets and go home. Can't he just do that? Maybe something else is going on.

balddemon

Banned
I am sad as fuck...

as his friend, tell him to stop being a punkass bitch. or whatever your choice of words might be.

my avatar seems to be taking over my brain.

Mully

Sphinx, your buddy sounds depressed. When someone is depressed the first thing they lose interest in is the thing they enjoy the most.

thomaser

After I was done squatting today, a fit, skinny girl went into the rack and squatted 100 kilos. Perhaps not earth-shattering stuff, but I've never seen any girl squat more than 80 kilos here, including the big tough ones. It takes quite a lot of guts to put so much weight on, especially for a twig like this one that probably weighs only 50 kilos herself. She didn't go very deep, but still. Impressed!

Edit: Also, a guy put a step-box into the (only) squat rack and did jumping exercises in there for 45 minutes. Why.

grumble

Sphinx, your buddy sounds depressed. When someone is depressed the first thing they lose interest in is the thing they enjoy the most.

While that might be the case, if someone ends up talking about the gym 24/7 then they can get sick of it. It's like when you have something tasty but then you eat it all day every day and after a while you can't stand the sight of it.

What he should do is just go to the gym and not talk about it or read about it all the time. It should just be a part of someone's day; some people make it such a big focus of their lives, like they have nothing else going on.

balddemon

Banned

sphinx

the piano man
That's kind of strange, I go to the gym and I rarely ever talk to anyone. I just do my sets and go home. Can't he just do that? Maybe something else is going on.

as his friend, tell him to stop being a punkass bitch. or whatever your choice of words might be.

my avatar seems to be taking over my brain.

I talked to him and he says he is way too obssesed with this activity and that it was consuming his life.

I kind of understand. Before I started going to the gym, my life was all piano and videogames ,now I am just waiting for 8:00 P.M. to see what I am going to do at the gym, it's addicting and it can truly distract you from other things, if you let it..

but damn, why must living with passion be a bad thing? :'( I mean, this is something good, this is an investment for the future, it's about a healthy body and many other positive things, like the meaning of discipline.

I hope he wakes up.... I never thought that a friend saying " I don't want to lift anything anymore" would make me feel this emotional.

either he wakes up or I get over it, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom