• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I feel like I owe Petrie my kidney or something. Just picked up a box of Quest bars for $15.11! Wow! And I can come back tomorrow and get more for the same price! Some people stock up on ammo and I stockpile Quest bars! Thanks again brother!

otapnam

I feel like I owe Petrie my kidney or something. Just picked up a box of Quest bars for $15.11! Wow! And I can come back tomorrow and get more for the same price! Some people stock up on ammo and I stockpile Quest bars! Thanks again brother!

Whereat? Gnc? That's a great price

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'm nearing the end of my cut and need to rework my diet for gains. It's always this imbalanced thing with me because I'm 6'7" - sometimes I'm like "dude I'm a hoss I gotta eat a LOT" but...well. I'm putting a lot more science behind it this time. Ain't fuckin around. I'm on a plan where the goal is in 2 years, and I bet that after that 2 year goal I'll discover it wasn't my real goal. Not what my soul wanted.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
sharing with the girl and her family, but got a hot Buffalo chicken pizza, because I'm a wimp, and 2 slices in I'm done. lol

Like insulin done? Haha

I used to take like 500 mg of ALA before a big sloppy pizza and just sweat man. Glucose just being burned on spot. I do not suggest this though. But it was cool.

Noema

So far this has never actually happened to me but I thought I'd share: I was failing miserably at pause squats in the only squat rack we have. A guy comes up to me to ask how many more sets I've got to go. Well, five, so of course he can join in. So he unloads the plates, puts 11 pounds on each side of the barbell, and does five curls. In disbelief I look at the rack that has all the EZ-curl and straight bars, and see that it's still loaded with bars.

He's finished with his set, and goes on to do triceps-extensions. So I take off the plates to continue my humiliation, and he immediately comes back, saying he still needs the barbell for his supersets. He's "not finished yet." Flabbergasted I ask him why he wont just use the EZ-curl bars. Well, because he wants to use the mirror. But if I insist on squatting there, he'll "let me." So he wanders off to the weightlifting platform, and uses the Olympic bar for his curls.

Granted my gym doesn't have a written down rule that says: No curling in the squat rack! But a gym shouldn't really NEED that, right?

Anyways, tested my 1 RM for bench, and my shoulder still felt fairly stable at 220 (after a six week long shoulder injury/rehab). A couple of days ago I got up to 400 on DL, and had some strength left. 410 or 420 should be doable on the small powerlift competition in two days. Seeing how miserable my pause squats are at 240, I'll probably max out out at 310 or 320. I do think the pause squats did something right though, since I feel more comfortable below parallel. Thanks for the tip Muntersaur :)

There are two squat racks in my gym. Today when I got there in the morning two dudes had taken up both squat racks. On one rack they had a barbell with 20lb on it plus collars. On the other they had 70 pounds plus collars. The reason? They were doing curls in one rack and rows on the other. Motherfuckers. They actually looked pissed when I told them I was going to use one of the racks and barbells for squats.

Petrie

Banned

As a diabetic who may eventually NEED a replacement kidney, don't make such claims! lol

Glad Gaffers are taking advantage though, such a fucking good deal, and we are still supporting an awesome company in the Quest guys. GNC, not so much. They're probably not doing so well on the deal.

Being in Canada is making me sad right now

Sorry Canada. :(

CrankyJay

Banned
Ugh, going from my morning sanctuary of empty squat racks to afternoons around 4 to accommodate my lean gains experiment. Afraid the bullshit I will encounter tomorrow.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I always found training legs on Mondays was pretty safe. Doing chest was another story. No one skips training chest.
Seems pretty typical that chest is usually on Monday or day 1 of most training schedules.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Assist machine has been broken for two weeks hence the attempt at negatives :(

This seems doable though. I'll have to give it a try.

Pulldowns for a couple weeks then.

Or use a chair, cross your legs behind you and have them rested on the chair and assist yourself. Or really any setup where you can stand on something to push off.

Assist machine has been broken for two weeks hence the attempt at negatives :(

This seems doable though. I'll have to give it a try.

Does your gym have any bands? You can wrap/tie a band to the pull up bar, loop your feet in it, and use the band to assist/help pull you up.

blackflag

Quest are my favorite thing ever. Seriously I love them that much. I gotta get this coupon printed and go on a shopping spree before it's over.

blackflag

Like insulin done? Haha

I used to take like 500 mg of ALA before a big sloppy pizza and just sweat man. Glucose just being burned on spot. I do not suggest this though. But it was cool.

This is the only way I can even eat a lot of carbs without falling asleep. NA-R-ALA 30 minutes before. Unless it's post workout then I'm totally fine without it.

Cooter

I was a bit weaker today but it's to be expected with the weight I'm dropping. Only got 295 four times on BB flat and 130s three times on DB incline. :( I know these are good numbers and I'm not complaining but it's always a tiny bit sad the day your numbers start slipping due to a cut.

EDIT: Just tried cookie dough quest bar. Ok, I'm seriously worried about getting cancer from eating these things. They seem too go to be true! Cookie dough is amazing!

balddemon

Banned
It takes a while.
yeah I know and I was kidding. I can't sympathize with people who think they are fat, since I'm not, never have been, and never will be.

That's cold. Hahaha. But I agree. I'm a fatty right now. Results of being injured and I think my prescription from Dr. Pepper was wrong. One can every hour as needed? Too much.

I know you're kidding but soda is the main point of contention with my buddy. he tells me he is cutting down on it which means he's down to only 2 cans a day, right when he wakes up. he's lost weight, and used to drink like 5-6 cans a day. I'm surprised he isn't diabetic.

Imm0rt4l

I was a bit weaker today but it's to be expected with the weight I'm dropping. Only got 295 four times on BB flat and 130s three times on DB incline. :( I know these are good numbers and I'm not complaining but it's always a tiny bit sad the day your numbers start slipping due to a cut.

I know that feel man, today I was doing bench and got 315 for 3 and I'm like wtf is this shit? I ended up doing a few triples though, so it seems my muscular endurance is just fine, its the speed I need to work on. In any case I think I'm going to work on explosiveness and sticking point next time I do my strength bench day, I go way to slow and focus too much on contractions and negatives that it may have affected my numbers. I'll probably save the slow emphasis on contractions for my hypertrophy days.

Pushing movements seems to be the first to go when cutting.

Imm0rt4l

tfw stim tolerance renders pre workouts mostly useless. I've never even got the 'tingles' from beta alanine, when I used to old jack3d formula.

Mully

Ugh, going from my morning sanctuary of empty squat racks to afternoons around 4 to accommodate my lean gains experiment. Afraid the bullshit I will encounter tomorrow.

The frustration of hearing and seeing broscience in action combined with the magazine routine of the week crowd is enough to make you lose all focus.

All I can say is: Don't kill anyone.

Imm0rt4l

Yeah I'm surprised i don't get that.

I take EC at least 2x per day too. I'd figure at some point I wouldn't feel it anymore.

EC was the only thing I actually remember feeling something on. The first time I tried it I think I noticed I was tapping my feet a bit. 2nd time I felt a little warmer than normal, also I ran 2 miles in record time. Since then I haven't felt anything really. tried half a dosage of yohimbine the other day(not really a stim though I don't think), nothing, I'll try a full one tomorrow.

blackflag

EC was the only thing I actually remember feeling something on. The first time I tried it I think I noticed I was tapping my feet a bit. 2nd time I felt a little warmer than normal, also I ran 2 miles in record time. Since then I haven't felt anything really. tried half a dosage of yohimbine the other day(not really a stim though I don't think), nothing, I'll try a full one tomorrow.

You using the bottle recommend dose or the actual one based on weight? I took that stuff before and sometimes it's give me palpitations so I stopped. Stuff can be harsh.

Imm0rt4l

You using the bottle recommend dose or the actual one based on weight? I took that stuff before and sometimes it's give me palpitations so I stopped. Stuff can be harsh.
The one by weight

.2 mg/kg iirc

I think I should be good splitting them into 2 dosages, but I'll definitely keep a close watch on how it makes me feel.

cryptic

I've been doing leangains for a year now and I find that if I skip eating within the 16 to 18 hr. range and eat later for too prolonged of a time as in a few weeks I start to develop anxiety and have some panic attacks.
Just a forewarning based on my individual experience if you're not fitting that eating around 4 into that range.

Another weird thing is that I've been unemployed so I sleep late and lately I've been waking up around 1 when I feed even if that's well past eight hours. I actually have trouble waking up earlier and I wonder if that's some side affect.

blackflag

Well guess I'll workout anyway. Good thing my apartments have a really nice gym. They even have dumbbells all the way up to 120.

Gonna skip OHP and just do shoulder presses, rear delts, and some bro curls. I shouldn't do anything but I feel like shit not going.

edit: Nevermind i'm not going. bleh.

Cooter

I know that feel man, today I was doing bench and got 315 for 3 and I'm like wtf is this shit? I ended up doing a few triples though, so it seems my muscular endurance is just fine, its the speed I need to work on. In any case I think I'm going to work on explosiveness and sticking point next time I do my strength bench day, I go way to slow and focus too much on contractions and negatives that it may have affected my numbers. I'll probably save the slow emphasis on contractions for my hypertrophy days.

Pushing movements seems to be the first to go when cutting.

It seems that way. I'm a little nervous about doing OHP Thursday. I'll probably have some meat that day in an attempt to maintain last weeks numbers.

I'm not going any lower than 8% so I don't foresee losing a substantial amount of strength. I can only estimate I'm sitting at 9 or 10 percent currently.

sphinx

the piano man
so I've been meaning to ask here:

How come are regular unassisted barbell squats (as explained in that SS pic with front, low and high bar variations) so different from the ones I see guys doing with the smith machine?

So far, I am avoiding smith machines because I can't seem to find a comfortable grip. I hate the fucking twisting of the barbell, I never get into a position where I feel I am holding the barbell the right way, wrists and hands always feel screwed up.

but when my friend showed me how to use it and did some reps, it REALLY felt like a great workout, I tried it only once, though.

the thing is, I was told to put the feet forward (you know, typical smith machine squat position), but it's doesn't resemble in the least the one vertical line explained by rippetoe in unassisted squats...

what gives?? are those just two different variations and it's all good? should I invest time in and use the smith machine? are there pros and cons to it? any stuff I should know regarding one vs. the other?

thanks.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

How come are regular unassisted barbell squats (as explained in that SS pic with front, low and high bar variations) so different from the ones I see guys doing with the smith machine?

So far, I am avoiding smith machines because I can't seem to find a comfortable grip. I hate the fucking twisting of the barbell, I never get into a position where I feel I am holding the barbell the right way, wrists and hands always feel screwed up.

but when my friend showed me how to use it and did some reps, it REALLY felt like a great workout, I tried it only once, though.

the thing is, I was told to put the feet forward (you know, typical smith machine squat position), but it's doesn't resemble in the least the one vertical line explained by rippetoe in unassisted squats...

what gives?? are those just two different variations and it's all good? should I invest time in and use the smith machine? are there pros and cons to it? any stuff I should know regarding one vs. the other?

thanks.

Smith machine is useless and potentially dangerous. As you noticed, because the bar path is fixed, the mechanics of the movement are different, different in this case being bad. It prevents the recruitment and development of stabilisers and creates unnatural loading in areas not designed for it whilst removing loading from areas that are designed for it. If you have the equipment and capability to perform barbell squats (of any form) there's absolutely no reason to use the smith machine for them.

Cudder

thanks.

id avoid using the smith machine for squats. it severely limits your movement pattern and probably has more of a chance to injure you when you get to higher weights than using free weight because your body can't adjust whatsoever when you lift.

and because it balances the weight for you, you neglect to train your muscle stabilizers (and on an exercise like the squat, it basically trains ALL of your muscle stabilizers.)

Conor 419

Banned
Do you even engrish?

Yes, to a remarkable degree; hence the above sentence which made perfect sense. I do understand however, that comprehension issues are prevalent, and real people do struggle with these things, so let me recommend you

EricCarle_1369848c.jpg

One page at a time, son. One page at a time.

SeanR1221

As others have said, Sphinx, don't even bother with the smith machine.

You have my permission to slap your friend for even suggesting it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Monster crick in my neck. Anyone got any stupid home remedies? Going to be a long day.

sphinx

the piano man
well that was quite unanimous regarding the smith machine.

I didn't know it was this way and I think my gym doesn't know either, there are 3 all-purpose smith machines and just 1 squat rack, which sucks big time.

As others have said, Sphinx, don't even bother with the smith machine.

You have my permission to slap your friend for even suggesting it.

hehe, confession time, I asked him to teach me how to squat there. Since I didn't know back then that the exercise changes so much, I just pointed at the smith machine cause it was free. He was very neutral, like "you want to learn here? o.k so it's done this way"...

thanks everyone for the input,

SeanR1221

I use the smith machine...

For "Australian" pull-ups on back day

I've used mine for pull-ups or for leaning on after a heavy squat set.

well that was quite unanimous regarding the smith machine.

I didn't know it was this way and I think my gym doesn't know either, there are 3 all-purpose smith machines and just 1 squat rack, which sucks big time.

hehe, confession time, I asked him to teach me how to squat there. Since I didn't know back then that the exercise changes so much, I just pointed at the smith machine cause it was free. He was very neutral, like "you want to learn here? o.k so it's done this way"...

thanks everyone for the input,

Don't worry bud, most don't. A lot of people think its safer for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom