• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

Start running and when you think you've run enough. Run some more. When I was in the military running was everything. I doubt that's changed any.

Edit: Good time to post this.\

Running me.

22757_1325286343192_4551310_n.jpg

Lifting me.

60657_10200991632343978_113057734_n.jpg

Awesome, Alien!!!

sphinx

the piano man
I've come to the conclusion that I will probably never really be happy with my body.... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I would imagine a lot of people here feel the same way. When I'm cutting I feel small, and when I'm bulking I feel fat : /

I am going through a phase like this... I made this before/after just recently and I remember being quite happy with the before pic, but when look at it now, I am way too thin in it.

I have bulked up a bit since then and I am happy with that, I like looking bigger than before but I always look and feel bloated and there's always a gut, maybe I have two much water/shit/whatever retention or should start cutting, I am still deciding the course of action. the weight difference between these 2 pics must be 8-10 pounds.

I am not completely happy with any of them. I guess what I have to do is set a definitive point where I am done bulking and then trim the fat, I feel like I am nearing that point (if I haven't reached it yet)...

beforeafterNOV2012APR2013a_zps099416ab.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
High fat low carb day. 5 eggs, chicken and spinach for my first meal. Quest for snack. Costco rotisserie chicken for dinner.

Mine was yesterday...had eggs, chicken...saved enough carbs for myself to have a fajita shell and made fajitas with peppers and onions, cheese and sour cream.

theytookourjobz

She's pretty smoking. That chick Camille is freaking gorgeous though. And strong as shit. She squats over 300 and just posted a video of a 250# jerk on her Facebook page the other day.

I am going through a phase like this... I made this before/after just recently and I remember being quite happy with the before pic, but when look at it now, I am way too thin in it.

I have bulked up a bit since then and I am happy with that, I like looking bigger than before but I always look and feel bloated and there's always a gut, maybe I have two much water/shit/whatever retention or should start cutting, I am still deciding the course of action. the weight difference between these 2 pics must be 8-10 pounds.

I am not completely happy with any of them. I guess what I have to do is set a definitive point where I am done bulking and then trim the fat, I feel like I am nearing that point (if I haven't reached it yet)...

beforeafterNOV2012APR2013a_zps099416ab.jpg

The difference here is huge. When you start to lean out, you will look great. Good job man!

I know that feel. I was looking at myself in the morning and I looked so flat...to my credit I wasn't carbed up and was very depleted, natty problems I guess. Going to the gym and seeing people bulked up sometimes makes me want to just stop my cut. But you gotta commit to one or the other for any given period, otherwise you're just half stepping, shuffling around aimlessly.

stash-1-5065c222871f0.gif

Body dysmorphia is a bitch.

This it the truth. Wake up in the morning, look deflated and tiny. Start to eat a bit and feel nice and big. Actually get to the gym and see doods bigger and bulkier, feel tiny. Get back home after a long day at work and eating, feel skinny fat.

This cycle continues forever. But as you said, just gotta commit and run with it. Be happy with what you have but never fully satisfied.

CrankyJay

Banned
This it the truth. Wake up in the morning, look deflated and tiny. Start to eat a bit and feel nice and big. Actually get to the gym and see doods bigger and bulkier, feel tiny. Get back home after a long day at work and eating, feel skinny fat.

This cycle continues forever. But as you said, just gotta commit and run with it. Be happy with what you have but never fully satisfied.

Was admiring how my arms are starting to really tone out, especially my triceps and then in walks some dude who has arms 2-3x the diameter as mine. Felt bad man.

Szu

The difference here is huge. When you start to lean out, you will look great. Good job man!

Often times, the journey is more important than the destination.

Szu

This is why I need to go to more public places around Philly. Fat people everywhere!

When it gets warmer here in NY, I'm going to spend more time in Chinatown. People look at me like I'm Godzilla or something.

At least they don't run away.

70's Big post on the "Over Warm-Up" is now up.

This is a technique I use with some of my lifters to increase their confidence on the bench press. It’s not a new idea, and people have been using it since the dawn of time, but it’s something we haven’t discussed on the site, and I get a lot of questions about it. I call it the “Over Warm-Up (OWU).” It’s a very technical and marketable name, I know. What does it mean? What do you think it means? It means you warm up to a heavy single before your work sets. Complicated stuff.

It might not have a sexy name, but it works. I’ve used this with a quite a few lifters to build confidence on heavy benches and to get them past long-term sticking points. In the past few months, RoryT used it to go from a 285 max bench to hitting 300 for the first time, then a couple weeks later, crushing 300×2. Jess used this technique to handle 95lbs dozens of times before her meet last weekend, where she hit two easy Meet Bench PRs. Many guys over on the LHS Forums are using it with success. You could also use it for various other lifts, like presses, push presses, even squats – though I think it’d be a pretty terrible idea on deadlifts. The target audience for this approach will be primarily novices and intermediates. If you’re an advanced lifter, chances are you’re not likely to benefit much from it, as you’ve already had years to master the mental aspects of the main lifts, and you’re quite capable of getting psyched up for a heavy PR single.

nilbog21

Banned
Called the local PD to give them a heads up about my vest so they don't get some stupid paranoid call. Dispatch told them I had a bomb vest instead of "a vest that someone may mistake as a bomb vest." two units showed up to check it out. This is why I called in the first place to avoid dumb shit like that.

Jesus christ.

Yeah, read above, lol.

Thankfully the cops were young and called before they arrived. And he said "it's just a weight vest right?" And I said, yeah and told him how the conversation really went down. They said thanks and drove off.

Hopefully this avoids future issues though.

That's pretty much how the neighbors/locals react to me these days.

ROFL, are you dark skinned ? that sucks man..

kylej

Banned

This cycle continues forever.

so true

SeanR1221

Sphinx, the best part of your change is the size of your head in proportion to your body. Your before you were so tiny it looks like you have a giant head. Much better now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
People hate crossfit?

People tend to "hate" anything that isn't THEIR program. It's like anything else in the world, most similarly like console wars, politics and religion.

That being said, I personally have an issue with the "race against the clock" aspect of it and how it breeds an injury prone environment (bad form over and over again). Also the price is just absurd.

I can definitely see the positives of it though, especially if specific boxes are run by good trainers.

Petrie

Banned
That being said, I personally have an issue with the "race against the clock" aspect of it and how it breeds an injury prone environment (bad form over and over again). Also the price is just absurd..

This. Prices are just a crazy pyramid scheme, and lifts for time are just shitty as a practice.

Noema

I've posted this before but it's worth a repost. I think this is the most even handed analysis of Crossfit I've seen, specially since Justin used to do Crossfit before he switched to strength training / weightlifting.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/whats-the-deal-with-crossfit/

The TLDR conclusion is that Crossfit is nothing more than conditioning, due to the nature of its programming. So in that sense it's sort of useless at best. But it has positive aspects, such as introducing people to the Olympic lifts.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
People tend to "hate" anything that isn't THEIR program. It's like anything else in the world, most similarly like console wars, politics and religion.

That being said, I personally have an issue with the "race against the clock" aspect of it and how it breeds an injury prone environment (bad form over and over again). Also the price is just absurd.

I can definitely see the positives of it though, especially if specific boxes are run by good trainers.

I'm glad you answered first. I was seriously baiting to see if someone was really going to bash anything that gets people off the couch.

When I was in my early 20's I critiqued everything that other people did in the gym. Now that I am much older I respect almost anything that people do to take care of themselves.
If someone would rather do a fitness class than work on their OHP that works for me.

Crossfit isn't perfect and the people there will likely never fully understand the mechanics of the moves their are performing. But it's really no different than people that are "runners" hating on casual people that job for fitness. Yeah that's a thing too.

I guess my biggest point is I think the majority of the people that get into something like crossfit would never consider becoming part of the weight lifting community. Some might get more into it after they have experienced a couple of classes/sessions but I think the majority of people that lift weights do it because they like picking heavy stuff up and then putting it down again. I have never been a fan of gravity and when I lift weights it just one more time I get to tell gravity to kiss my ass.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm fairly sure my scale isn't accurate so I haven't been monitoring my weight. It's refreshing not to care about weight and only go by the mirror! According to my scale I was 185 this morning which is very hard to believe based on what I see. I'm almost hoping it is correct because I would love to be 185 at 8 or 9 percent!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly sure my scale isn't accurate so I haven't been monitoring my weight. It's refreshing not to care about weight and only go by the mirror! According to my scale I was 185 this morning which is very hard to believe based on what I see. I'm almost hoping it is correct because I would love to be 185 at 8 or 9 percent!

I always feel like "Well, fuck scales" - the only thing I give a damn about is how I feel. My numbers fluctuate wildly, and I don't put much stock in them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Same boat. My scale still reads 229-228 yet I'm "fully able" to wear L shirts and size 34 jeans now. I've only dropped about 4-5lbs according to the scale over the last two months but I've visibly leaner and the shirts and jeans aren't tight at all anymore.

I really should get a BF tester, but my wife always says "why do you need that?" And when my answer is "so I can see my body fat percentage" it doesn't really come across, lol.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until the results stop, then change it up.

agrajag

Banned
[IMGhttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/spheenx/beforeafterNOV2012APR2013a_zps099416ab.jpg/IMG]

You look a lot bigger Sphinx, good pecs!

Same boat. My scale still reads 229-228 yet I'm "fully able" to wear L shirts and size 34 jeans now. I've only dropped about 4-5lbs according to the scale over the last two months but I've visibly leaner and the shirts and jeans aren't tight at all anymore.

I really should get a BF tester, but my wife always says "why do you need that?" And when my answer is "so I can see my body fat percentage" it doesn't really come across, lol.

You look a lot slimmer and more muscular in the recent pics you posted, even your face looks slimmer.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anything that gets people active is a good thing! That being said, if your goal is to get strong crossfit is terribly ineffective. Give me a year with someone and they will be noticeably stronger than someone who started crossfit at the same time!

I just like the idea of a scale helping me keep things in check. I have dropped weight but I feel bigger. Gut has slimmed down and overall, I feel better.

My goal next summer is to be 240/245 @ 12% bf. That will be around 10+ lbs of muscle in a year. Seems like that is entirely possible.

theytookourjobz

I've posted this before but it's worth a repost. I think this is the most even handed analysis of Crossfit I've seen, specially since Justin used to do Crossfit before he switched to strength training / weightlifting.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/whats-the-deal-with-crossfit/

The TLDR conclusion is that Crossfit is nothing more than conditioning, due to the nature of its programming. So in that sense it's sort of useless at best. But it has positive aspects, such as introducing people to the Olympic lifts.

Funny you mention 70sbig. Those guys are doing a seminar at the CF gym I go to this weekend.

blackflag

High fat low carb day. 5 eggs, chicken and spinach for my first meal. Quest for snack. Costco rotisserie chicken for dinner.

This is my go to when I'm being lazy or no time. Drive to Costco, across the street from the gym, buy 2 rotisserie chicken, eat, profit. More time for monster hunter.

SeanR1221

Damn you must look even better in person than your pictures. I wear 36 jeans. You gotta be extremely solid.

This is my go to when I'm being lazy or no time. Drive to Costco, across the street from the gym, buy 2 rotisserie chicken, eat, profit. More time for monster hunter.

They're incredibly juicy and at only 5.00 a great deal.

blackflag

36 waist but how does the legs fit?

I think my waist is a 32 proper but I have to go a size up for the legs.

My waist in jeans size is 34 (when I tape it, it's bigger) but I always have to get 36 because of quads and sometimes that's not enough. Then I get dat bacon waist going from my tight ass belt.

Same. Depends on the fit, really, but I typically go 34 for leg comfort. Waist is slightly loose.

My waist in jeans size is 34 (when I tape it, it's bigger) but I always have to get 36 because of quads and sometimes that's not enough. Then I get dat bacon waist going from my tight ass belt.

Yup. Terrible feeling.

Can't tuck in anything lol.

It is okay, this summer... sun's out, thigh's out. I already got my red-pink polo. Now I need the shorts and shoes.

If I get to HEB at the right time towards the end of night they've marked their chicken down to get rid of it. Cheap, great tasting, probably been under the heater all day chicken.

After work, I can hit up Safeway and find steak/pork that is 50% off. Cook it that night. So good!

But yes, the chicken is a great way to get the needed protein. Quick and easy.

Oh yeah, the 36s are big on me but I hate how anything smaller feels in my legs/makes my wallet and phone bulge out the sides.

I have to go a size up for my pants or wear super stretchy bottoms because of my quads. I quit gymnastics 8 years ago but some things never go away. My BF plays hockey and has to go a size up for his legs as well.

Darren870

So how bad is fruit for trying to cut and lose weight?

I eat a good amount, and I can't think of anything else that making me stay my current weight.

Basically:

2-3 Kiwis or a cup of berries in my cottage cheese in the AM
Banana in the AM (before run)
Apple around lunch
Banana in the PM (before workout)
Orange or Tangerines in the evening.

To much?

Also, what is the best diet to look into to retain muscle but lose body fat? Keto Diet?

rando14

So how bad is fruit for trying to cut and lose weight?

I eat a good amount, and I can't think of anything else that making me stay my current weight.

Basically:

2-3 Kiwis or a cup of berries in my cottage cheese in the AM
Banana in the AM (before run)
Apple around lunch
Banana in the PM (before workout)
Orange or Tangerines in the evening.

To much?

Also, what is the best diet to look into to retain muscle but lose body fat? Keto Diet?

Fruit is sugar. You're getting 5 servings of sugar a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom