• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavaloo

Good news - do you know what's next?

Another day. Another chance to make it right. Shred it next time, you'll hit it harder than ever!

But now I have to miss Friday if my back isn't healed in time :( And I was supposed to go hard today on deads and bench cause I only do them once this week.

But you're right, this means I have to destroy those weights on Monday.

sidenote: it's really sunny and I wish I could lift outside

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But now I have to miss Friday if my back isn't healed in time :( And I was supposed to go hard today on deads and bench cause I only do them once this week.

But you're right, this means I have to destroy those weights on Monday.

sidenote: it's really sunny and I wish I could lift outside

Hey but seriously man, don't aggravate it if you're hurt. Missing a week due to injury is better than missing months and something possibly permanent. Safety first!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You're going to be stopped by the police so many times and terrify the neighbours haha

Thankfully I live in a small town and most of them already know I'm ex military and currently law enforcement so I should be good. But I still expect some weird looks from it.

Pavaloo

Hey but seriously man, don't aggravate it if you're hurt. Missing a week due to injury is better than missing months and something possibly permanent. Safety first!
Yeah I know, I'll gauge how I'm feeling over the weekend. If I have to take a week off, I'll do it. It just sucks cause in February I was coming back from a 2 month hiatus from a shoulder injury. I know a little better now lol. It doesn't feel too bad now honestly, but I never know how bad it really is till the next day.

balddemon

Banned
Yeah I know, I'll gauge how I'm feeling over the weekend. If I have to take a week off, I'll do it. It just sucks cause in February I was coming back from a 2 month hiatus from a shoulder injury. I know a little better now lol. It doesn't feel too bad now honestly, but I never know how bad it really is till the next day.

unless you messed up your spine or severely pulled a muscle, I think you can squat on friday

grumble

Got a head cold, GAF. My body feels fine but my face is full of snot. To lift or not to lift?

Lift, but drink lots of water, don't crane your neck and some slight 'hissing' breathing at the end of reps might not be unwise. I used to get exertion headaches when I lifted with a upper respiratory tract infection, and those can be really bad.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
For those interested, Quest Bars now ship to Canada on their official site, but the prices are pretty outrageous. 16$ shipping to my address will cost $41 per box..lol.

I'll wait until BB.com gets the cookie dough flavour.

Buy them from supplementscanada.com

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What are the most well-liked Quest bar flavors? Which flavor has the best nutrition?
Haha! There are top 5 lists all over this thread!

Mine:

1-pb&j and cookie dough
3-peanut butter supreme
4-cinnamon roll
5-hmm. Not sure. Picked up bananna nut and apple pie today. They could possibly slip into 5 because nothing else stands out right now.

abuC

Pushed my car, made it all the way across twice, and about half way the 3rd time. I am going to have to cut out doing squats twice a week, my entire body is completely beat and my shirt was drenched after. I have an air compressor and let the air out of my front tires down to 10psi before the 2nd one, it was a terrible decision. This is the hardest form of cardio I have ever done.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Called the local PD to give them a heads up about my vest so they don't get some stupid paranoid call. Dispatch told them I had a bomb vest instead of "a vest that someone may mistake as a bomb vest." two units showed up to check it out. This is why I called in the first place to avoid dumb shit like that.

Jesus christ.

My friend is a cop in a very small town and people were still giving him all sorts of strange looks when he got one.

Yeah, read above, lol.

Thankfully the cops were young and called before they arrived. And he said "it's just a weight vest right?" And I said, yeah and told him how the conversation really went down. They said thanks and drove off.

Hopefully this avoids future issues though.

"Oh it's just Wayne. Leave him be."

That's pretty much how the neighbors/locals react to me these days.

CrankyJay

Banned
My friend is a cop in a very small town and people were still giving him all sorts of strange looks when he got one.

I actually have a leg weight like this vest with tons of little pockets that house metal bars. I got it for my ACL surgery to pre-hab and re-hab and foolishly put it in a carry on for a flight when I took a trip. Got flagged at security and they tested for bomb residue.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The pain is mostly coming from the whole right side/area of the wrist, in the area where the bony part is. If I keep my wrist straight, turn to the left, or move it up and down, then I'm good for the most part. If I try to turn it to the right, that is when the pain begins. It also hurts/feels uncomfortable if i try to turn my palms face up, or put too much pressure on it like holding something heavy.

Sounds similar to the injury I'm still recovering from (inflamed meniscus).

220px-Anatomy_TFCC.jpg

Can you do a push-up? I had to stay off my wrist for a month for the pain to go away (wore a brace the majority of the time).

Sorry, man. :(

Imm0rt4l

Repost for the new page.

I thought i would post this here since i figured some of you guys might have experience with this.

So my right wrist started hurting monday night. I dont know what caused it but it just started hurting for some reason when I began driving and now it hurts whenever I move my hand and wrist too much. Most of the pain comes from the right side of wrist. its not swollen or bruised, it looks perfectly normal.

the only thing that comes to mind is maybe I did something wrong when I worked out earlier in the day but why would the pain start like six hours later? any ideas on what it could be and how I can heal it as quickly as possible? I want avoid missing too many workout days. I already tried putting a cold pack on it and wrapping it but it hasnt really helped much so far. Thanks.
Was thinking maybe it was a ganglion cyst but you said you see no abnormalities. I had one and my wrist looked like the hunchback of notre dame. On occasion the cyst would subside but the pain wouldn't.

Cooter

I just don't want to get turned away or something by the person thinking they are bootleg coupons :( No barcode on it makes me nervous.
You're cool! I've used them at 2 different locations with zero issues!

I just bought my second dozen and the guy told me not to exceed 1 a day. Haha!

balddemon

Banned
I just did that better posture video for the 2nd day in a row...something tells me I should either do it on off days or after I squat. I'm about to head to the gym, should be interesting.

dejay

Banned
Weighted vest arrived. Damn thing looks like a bomb vest. This might get a little sketchy.

Paint it black and wear a bow tie.

Pushed my car, made it all the way across twice, and about half way the 3rd time. I am going to have to cut out doing squats twice a week, my entire body is completely beat and my shirt was drenched after. I have an air compressor and let the air out of my front tires down to 10psi before the 2nd one, it was a terrible decision. This is the hardest form of cardio I have ever done.

Yeah but think of the gas you're saving!

Chris R

You're cool! I've used them at 2 different locations with zero issues!

I just bought my second dozen and the guy told me not to exceed 1 a day. Haha!

Is the price on the website the price in store ($33.xx or $25.xx)? I'm not a member if that matters.

blackflag

While 90% of your statement I agree with, the bold I do not.

Every 20gram protein bar I've had tastes better than Quest. (Had 6 types, including Quest.)
Quest is the "real" bar, so it shouldn't taste that great. (If you follow the rule about bad tasting stuff often means it's good for you.)

Thanks, GAF, for leading me to GNC to try the almighty and famed Quest bar :p

Short post, gotta go in a minutes. I've tried like 7 flavors so far, the best is Peanut Butter Supreme and the Vanilla Almond one.

Hmm ok I haven't tried that many but I've had some from eas, metrx, premium protein but I guess I haven't tried that ma y. Out of all the ones I've had the quest were definitely best. Except lemon...groce

Raxus

I was looking for alternate ab workouts aside from the Hoist machines at the gym. Every time I use the damn things I feel like I am pulling something and not getting a good workout.

Right now I am enjoying my decline abs with dumbbell rotations and my alternative workout of planks and bosu ball leg raises.

Anything to help strengthen my core after a leg day would be nice.

grumble

I was looking for alternate ab workouts aside from the Hoist machines at the gym. Every time I use the damn things I feel like I am pulling something and not getting a good workout.

Right now I am enjoying my decline abs with dumbbell rotations and my alternative workout of planks and bosu ball leg raises.

Options:

Weighted decline situps (which you're doing)
Lots of squats, deadlifts and overhead presses
Kneeling cable pulldowns
Hanging leg raises
Windshield wipers
Around the worlds
Ab wheel rollouts

I wouldn't do too much ab work since they get crushed with the compounds, but some will definitely help especially if you're intermediate.

Matugi

Saw this on Reddit, what this girl does is insane. Holy moly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ychdzz6UEA&sns=em

Also, I'm sure you could get a lot of...mileage out of it.

Also, I should probably introduce myself. I've been lifting for awhile, currently on a cut. 5'5, 158, BP max is 275, squat max is 315, DL max is 345 on trap bar and 255 on straight bar, happy lifting!

Cooter

Is the price on the website the price in store ($33.xx or $25.xx)? I'm not a member if that matters.

It comes out to 15 bucks a box give or take some cents based on varying state taxes.

What flavor did you get abuC?

Ranvier

Sounds similar to the injury I'm still recovering from (inflamed meniscus).

220px-Anatomy_TFCC.jpg

Can you do a push-up? I had to stay off my wrist for a month for the pain to go away (wore a brace the majority of the time).

Sorry, man. :(

Did yours really go away? I have the same issue in my right wrist. Can't curl or make corkscrew motion and have to constantly pop it. I've had this since August. I got a cortisone shot in October. it went away but the pain came back worse than ever in January. I've been wearing a splint and icing to no avail. I finally went to a doctor and got an MRI. He said he sees inflammation, nothing else. I even had my first go of physical therapy today where they told me nothing I didn't already know or try to do to promote healing. Do you have any other advice. I'm so sick of living with this. I did stop lifting for 2 months back in November but since the pain came back I've just adjusted my lifts. No more curls or super wide pull-ups. Really don't want to take more time off.

grumble

Saw this on Reddit, what this girl does is insane. Holy moly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ychdzz6UEA&sns=em

Also, I'm sure you could get a lot of...mileage out of it.

Also, I should probably introduce myself. I've been lifting for awhile, currently on a cut. 5'5, 158, BP max is 275, squat max is 315, DL max is 345 on trap bar and 255 on straight bar, happy lifting!

That was really impressive. She was super hot, though I was thinking that she might actually be a bit too flexible. No way are her joints happy about that, long term. The pole stuff at the end was ridiculous

Welcome to fit-gaf!

Noema

Your leg workout should be your core workout. Or do you not squat or deadlift?

blackflag

Did yours really go away? I have the same issue in my right wrist. Can't curl or make corkscrew motion and have to constantly pop it. I've had this since August. I got a cortisone shot in October. it went away but the pain came back worse than ever in January. I've been wearing a splint and icing to no avail. I finally went to a doctor and got an MRI. He said he sees inflammation, nothing else. I even had my first go of physical therapy today where they told me nothing I didn't already know or try to do to promote healing. Do you have any other advice. I'm so sick of living with this. I did stop lifting for 2 months back in November but since the pain came back I've just adjusted my lifts. No more curls or super wide pull-ups. Really don't want to take more time off.

I have a torn meniscus, decided not to get surgery right now though. It only occasionally hurts anymore.

Anybody here do body weight only? I notice that free weight fitness seems to dominate the discussion here; anyone have a badass calisthenic routine that they swear by? I'm currently training in this area with Niroc; trying to get those muscle ups going, but I'm still a little too heavy and a little too weak in the shoulders to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom