• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Pretty good workout tonight. Felt like a beast. Cut it short cuz it was almost 10 and I wanted to get to Boston Market.

Bench
10 x 135
8 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
2 x 315
1 x 325
10 x 225

Incline db press
8 x 95
8 x 95
7 x 95
6 x 95
6 x 80

Cable fly
12 x 60
12 x 60
9 x 60
9 x 60

Machine fly
12 x 120
14 x 120
10 x 120

Seated tricep ext
12 x 75
10 x 100
9 x 100
7 x 100

HS dips
12 x 230
9 x 230
9 x 230

Tricep pushdown
15 x 67.5
11 x 75
10 x 80
9 x 80
20 x 60
Did u make up this routine? Or follow a template- if so where can I find dat?

sphinx

the piano man
Holy shit, thread moved at light speed, 5 pages since I posted last time, anyway here it goes.

The difference here is huge. When you start to lean out, you will look great. Good job man!

that's what I am hoping! I hope that when I get into and succeed at my first cut attempt, I'd look decently strong, not so thin and no so puffy like in this/before after. and Thanks! :)

Yeah, Sphinx is definitely changing. All his hard work is paying off. He's the piano beast right now.

interestingly, there's some piano/musician broscience out there saying people should not workout and develop muscle, lest they want to destroy "key, fine, small muscles" that let you get fine nuances and sounds from the instruments... that your body will turn into uncapable, dead meat... that's soooo incredibly full of shit.

don't know, maybe I have to be as big as Ronnie Coleman and then try a piano piece and see if there's a the difference but so far, that's bullshit.

Piano beast it is,lol

Sphinx, the best part of your change is the size of your head in proportion to your body. Your before you were so tiny it looks like you have a giant head. Much better now.

lol, I remember that time when the opposite happened to Darth, that his body was huge and head was small, maybe there's some strange visual effect or distortion going on depending on the angle and time of the day you take the pic? I do agree with you, somehow the heads looks too big in the left pic.

You look a lot bigger Sphinx, good pecs!

Thanks! I think the pecs are visually enhanced thanks to the shirt, lol

You guys have to try those "under armour" shirts I suggested several pages back. They adhere to the body and take all sweat away and make you look swole (yes, vanity, but fuck, as long as you train hard and are honest with youself, why shouldn't people buy clothes to look better and like themselves?)

I think my waist is a 32 proper but I have to go a size up for the legs.

the jeans I use say I am waist 28... I bought them last summer when I was at my thinnest, so there has to be some 10-15 pounds difference there and they still fit normally... last time I checked bodyfat I was stable at around 15%, through the months but I suspect the machine I use to measure is wrong...that can't be, like I said, either I have awful water/shit retention or that scale I use to check for bodyfat is dead wrong. I gotta find out.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone else rarely get the jelly legs effect from squats/deadlifts? (But especially squats.)

Makes me feel like I do them wrong or something. Only a couple times has it happened and I never know why, or what I did differently.

Maybe it's something with my form? I know I've posted a couple squat form videos in the past, but I finally took a clearer video of my whole body, so maybe you guys can check it out for me.

Click me

I think I'm gonna give low bar squats a shot, although I remember them being tough on my lower back.

blackflag

Did u make up this routine? Or follow a template- if so where can I find dat?

Actually it's kinda my own thing. I usually do 5/3/1 and then add all the other stuff but today I just did my own thing. I'd recommend following the routine in the OP or get the Starting Strength book if you are somewhat of a novice.

PBY

Banned
Actually it's kinda my own thing. I usually do 5/3/1 and then add all the other stuff but today I just did my own thing. I'd recommend following the routine in the OP or get the Starting Strength book if you are somewhat of a novice.
Did SS for too long; being doing Kelei's routine from BB with semi-decent results. I like the volume of what you posted tho.

abuC

*contemplates doing a line of creatine right now.

Nah man, that stuff is too real, why you think Ross is in trouble?

Put Creatine all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it
I took her to the gym and I enjoyed that, she ain't even know it

blackflag

Did SS for too long; being doing Kelei's routine from BB with semi-decent results. I like the volume of what you posted tho.

Ok cool well what it is is basically 5/3/1 which is for str, that's the flat bench part, then I do the body builder stuff. It seems to be giving me good results.

Chest/tris
5/3/1 bench
4x incline db
3x incline db fly
3x cable fly
4x lying tricep ext. or seated
4x hammer str dips (or regular if you want)
4-5x tricep push downs

Legs
5/3/1 squats
4-5x leg press
4x hamstring curls
4x seated leg ext
3x standing calf raise
3x seated calf raise

Shoulders/biceps
5/3/1 OHP
4x seated db shoulder press
3x lateral raise
3x bent over reverse db fly
3x face pulls or machine reverse flys
4x barbell curl
4x db curl
3x concentration or preacher curls

Back
5/3/1 deadlift
4x t-bar or bent over row
4x lat pull downs ( I usually use the hammer strength)
4x one arm row or hammer str low row
4x back extension
4x shrugs

5/3/1 template is here but I'd recommend the book
http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

It seems to work for me, most people say its too much volume but I love lifting. I try and do all the non 5/3/1 sets for like 8-12 reps usually. For shrugs I do between 20-30 reps each and calves the same.

Imm0rt4l

UdU2V9_large.jpg

Darren870

How much beer do you drink? That could be the culprit.

Try drinking on the weekends only, Friday and Saturday night. You can go stricter and only drink 1 night a week, such as Friday nights.

I bring up beer because of the Franziskaner in your avatar :p

Edit: I lost some of my pregnant-like beer belly by cutting out beer completely for 1-1/2 months. (While exercising daily of course.)
Saved me some money too, win/win.

Beer? Me? Drink? HARDLY! ;)

I do try to limit myself as I know its bad. I have been on a gym/health kick recently so I've been cutting it out during the week. This week was bad though.

I think the worst part is it ruins me for a day or two. I go out, get drinks then the next day my body is swollen or achy and I can't do a thing at the gym.

SeanR1221

Oh man I'm loving the first weeks results of IF.

I was 199 on Monday, Tuesday 198, Wednesday 197, today 196.

I know I know. Don't weigh yourself everyday/water weight but seeing the trend is really cool.

All I'm doing is eating from 1-9, high fat low carb on rest days and high carb low fat on lifting days.

My retro fitness is having pizza tonight because of undercover boss (the retro episode) being on. Think I'm going to go lift after work and eat some pizza :-D

Heh. My gym has a "bully" now, who thinks because he's 6'2" and about 250 he can kick anyone's ass. I won't tell him that I've trained in boxing and martial arts most of my life; I'll let him find out on his own if he crosses that line. Makes me sick to my stomach to see grown men act like that.

Carbonox

Heh. My gym has a "bully" now, who thinks because he's 6'2" and about 250 he can kick anyone's ass. I won't tell him that I've trained in boxing and martial arts most of my life; I'll let him find out on his own if he crosses that line. Makes me sick to my stomach to see grown men act like that.

What does he do in the gym?

Anyone else rarely get the jelly legs effect from squats/deadlifts? (But especially squats.)

Makes me feel like I do them wrong or something. Only a couple times has it happened and I never know why, or what I did differently.

Maybe it's something with my form? I know I've posted a couple squat form videos in the past, but I finally took a clearer video of my whole body, so maybe you guys can check it out for me.

Click me

I think I'm gonna give low bar squats a shot, although I remember them being tough on my lower back.
I don't get jelly legs from squats alone (except the few occasions where I did extremely high volume). I usually get it after a hard leg day with 5-6 exercises. You can definitely feel it more in the legs with low bar squats though.

Ekdrm2d1

Beer? Me? Drink? HARDLY! ;)

I do try to limit myself as I know its bad. I have been on a gym/health kick recently so I've been cutting it out during the week. This week was bad though.

I think the worst part is it ruins me for a day or two. I go out, get drinks then the next day my body is swollen or achy and I can't do a thing at the gym.

Ha. Good deal :p
That sucks that it ruins you for a few days. Bummer :(

I'm a beer connoisseur but been on a health kick for the past 3 years. Like you, I know it's bad but beer is my hobby. I don't go out on the weekends, I'm a hermit. I prefer getting some high end beer and just drinking at the house. The way it ruins me is while drinking 2 days of the week (Friday and Saturday night) it makes me feel bloated and fat come Monday. I exercise Monday - Friday and the weekends are my rest period. Not exercising + drinking beer = bloated and fat :(

My personal trainer says I work-off the beer come the week though, so it never "really" puts me into gains. Sure, I probably gain 0.8 lbs but if beer is my hobby I should be allowed and enjoy.

I need to just drink 1 night of the week, would be so much better for a peaceful mind come Monday. I wouldn't think I'm bloated.

I've also heard that drinking (or binge drinking) destroys testosterone/muscles. Scary!

Caramello

So I've had two weeks off and I'm returning on Monday with a new routine courtesy of a fellow member of fitgaf.

I took what Alien said to heart about focusing on what your primary goal is and choosing a program especially for that goal. So after a good 3 months on Starting Strength and building a fair understanding of the primary lifts I'm planning on spending the rest of the year on this new program and into next year as long as I'm progressing in the right way.

I have to say I feel like shit having taken two weeks off.. The first week was fine but this week I feel lethargic and I have some of my old back pain returning.. Can't wait to get stuck back into it!!

What does he do in the gym?

Last night I watched him force some guy off the power rack. Threatened to fuck him up if he didn't leave. The guy was smaller, about 5'6, maybe 160-170, and clearly intimidated.
He later tried to take a set of 55s I was using. I yelled out, "Yo, I'm still using those!", then he glared at me but put them back down and walked away. He also kept hitting on some chick who was trying to squat, and clearly wasn't interested. She grabbed her stuff and left.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's time for me to start making some decisions for my training program that I'm starting back up on May 1st. I'm going with SS, but dietwise I'm trying to decide on doing a clean bulk with some brown rice and a few other limited carbs, or if I should dive into Carbnite. I've heard nothing but the best about Carb nite so I think I mighttttt want that. Has anyone experimented with both, and can tell me the very clear differences between the two? I'll be coming off a keto diet when I start my program.

Secondly, I need to figure out the best fit for my schedule. I work Mon-Fri 8-5:30pm. My SS days are M-W-F. I need to decide if I want to sacrifice sleep in order to get up BALLS ass early. So here's my two basic scenarios.

Scenario A: Get less sleep than I wanted, but get up early and get my training in before work. Eat throughout the day on whichever diet I go with, go home, play video games like a nerd, go to sleep.

Scenario B: Wake up, go to work, sit on my ass at work all day while eating what my diet specifies, get off work drained (mentally) then beat its ass in the gym. The only issue I see with that is that it'll be tough for me to get a solid night of sleep because if I go to the gym in the evening, it keps me up. It just does.

Any thoughts?

grumble

It's time for me to start making some decisions for my training program that I'm starting back up on May 1st. I'm going with SS, but dietwise I'm trying to decide on doing a clean bulk with some brown rice and a few other limited carbs, or if I should dive into Carbnite. I've heard nothing but the best about Carb nite so I think I mighttttt want that. Has anyone experimented with both, and can tell me the very clear differences between the two? I'll be coming off a keto diet when I start my program.

Secondly, I need to figure out the best fit for my schedule. I work Mon-Fri 8-5:30pm. My SS days are M-W-F. I need to decide if I want to sacrifice sleep in order to get up BALLS ass early. So here's my two basic scenarios.

Scenario A: Get less sleep than I wanted, but get up early and get my training in before work. Eat throughout the day on whichever diet I go with, go home, play video games like a nerd, go to sleep.

Scenario B: Wake up, go to work, sit on my ass at work all day while eating what my diet specifies, get off work drained (mentally) then beat its ass in the gym. The only issue I see with that is that it'll be tough for me to get a solid night of sleep because if I go to the gym in the evening, it keps me up. It just does.

Any thoughts?

As far as workouts, I'd recommend mornings. Studies show much higher adherence in the mornings than in the evenings, because nothing else gets in the way. I work out in the mornings. Just go to sleep earlier, if all you're doing in the evenings is playing around then you can definitely do that.

I don't have experience with either diet. When I did SS, I didn't choose certain kinds of carbs or whatever, I just ate lots of protein, tried to stay away from junk food and sugar, and stuck with wholesome foods. If I got fluffy I ate less for a while, and if my lifts were stalling, I ate more. I had a very successful run of the program and didn't get chubby; the very strict diet won't necessarily be required if you practise conscious eating.

Booties

Banned
Last night I watched him force some guy off the power rack. Threatened to fuck him up if he didn't leave. The guy was smaller, about 5'6, maybe 160-170, and clearly intimidated.
He later tried to take a set of 55s I was using. I yelled out, "Yo, I'm still using those!", then he glared at me but put them back down and walked away. He also kept hitting on some chick who was trying to squat, and clearly wasn't interested. She grabbed her stuff and left.

My intrinsic rage wants me to tell you to just beat his ass and tell him to never come back to the gym again. My reasonable side says tell a trainer or staff member to keep an eye on him, suspend his account or something along those lines.

grumble

My intrinsic rage wants me to tell you to just beat his ass and tell him to never come back to the gym again. My reasonable side says tell a trainer or staff member to keep an eye on him, suspend his account or something along those lines.

Yeah. Tell the staff, they'll keep an eye out and ban him from the gym if he does it again.

I really hate people like that, because they indimidate people from coming to the gym, make it unpleasant for everyone else who sticks it out and perpetuates the stereotype of the douchebag meathead. If you think about all the people who gave up on their big drive for fitness because of his bullying, he's probably damaged a lot of lives over the years.

blackflag

I'll glad no one at my gym is like that. Secretly kinda wish someone was so I could test out these old school fists of fury...but not really, just glad I can get a drama free workout.

blackflag

Is it normal to feel bloated/fat after a high carb day on leangains? =(

Not really if you worked out before. Last night I came home from the gym and between 10pm and 12am ate a bunch of turkey, sweet potato casserole, large pizza, protein shake and I woke up looking the leanest and most swole ever.

Could be something else

CrankyJay

Banned
Not really if you worked out before. Last night I came home from the gym and between 10pm and 12am ate a bunch of turkey, sweet potato casserole, large pizza, protein shake and I woke up looking the leanest and most swole ever.

Could be something else

Worked out for about an hour, hour and 10 minutes yesterday...came home, had about 39g protein shake, and then had some rice noodles (probably about 150g carbs) and a bunch of veggies and shrimp and teriyaki sauce.

So between the carbs and sodium I'm probably just retaining some water. Not bloated, just feeling fat...haha.

blackflag

Worked out for about an hour, hour and 10 minutes yesterday...came home, had about 39g protein shake, and then had some rice noodles (probably about 150g carbs) and a bunch of veggies and shrimp and teriyaki sauce.

So between the carbs and sodium I'm probably just retaining some water. Not bloated, just feeling fat...haha.

It happens sometimes. Could be the sodium for sure

crpav

Ever since the Boston marathon bombings I am more leery of guys bringing and leaving their bags in the gym area. For one thing the rules state no bags or personal items like bags or coats in the gym area. This was last Friday too and seeing the one guy keep kneeling down by it and checking his phone just made me feel uneasy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ever since the Boston marathon bombings I am more leery of guys bringing and leaving their bags in the gym area. For one thing the rules state no bags or personal items like bags or coats in the gym area. This was last Friday too and seeing the one guy keep kneeling down by it and checking his phone just made me feel uneasy.

That sucks...perfectly understandable to feel that way. Tell the staff.

I'll glad no one at my gym is like that. Secretly kinda wish someone was so I could test out these old school fists of fury...but not really, just glad I can get a drama free workout.

I wish he was a member of my boxing gym. He would get an attitude adjustment quick fast, probably from the smallest guy there too.

Anyways, hit a pb of 345 on bp last night, felt pretty strong. Not bad for a 44 year old; I've never benched more than 315 my whole life. Of course, my training partner hits 360 at a body weight of 185. I'm 220. Baby steps I guess.

grumble

I wish he was a member of my boxing gym. He would get an attitude adjustment quick fast, probably from the smallest guy there too.

Anyways, hit a pb of 345 on bp last night, felt pretty strong. Not bad for a 44 year old; I've never benched more than 315 my whole life. Of course, my training partner hits 360 at a body weight of 185. I'm 220. Baby steps I guess.

Very impressive!

Any thoughts?

I always prefer to sleep in the morning so lifting after work is my vote.

Is it normal to feel bloated/fat after a high carb day on leangains? =(

Depends on the carbs you eat but yeah, it is normal.

Fuck...Raistlin (fellow GAFer and co-worker of mine) just came in with fucking maple glazed bacon donuts. Prick.

dsc_0125.jpg

ew. do not want.

either just the donut or bacon. not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom