• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love how after a few months of cutting things out, that you lack cravings for "cheat meals".

Been only eating veggies, lean chicken, fish, protein shakes, cottage cheese and fruits the past 2 months and now this past week started replacing an apple or 2 for a snack with a cucumber, broccoli and other veggies.

Last time I was this committed I looked incredible. I have been training for 14 years (wow time flies) and always have been in good shape. naturally lean build, but when I make the extra effort to cut out some shit, you can really see results from a day to day basis.

You not only physically feel better, but mentally you feel like you are on another plane, like you can accomplish anything.

Yup. It takes some work but not being a slave to food goes a long way. It brings up your focus EVERYWHERE else as well. It makes things a lot easier to conquer.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
My fiancé wants some input on her squat. She's trying to work on form (first week of 5/3/1)

http://youtu.be/tMdnUb5dCKg

If she can get comfortable sitting back into the motion a bit better to get her weight on her heels she would probably be fine. Maybe have her try some bodyweight squats dropping her butt back onto a bench to learn the motion better (like a box squat). Even doing the body weight moves while hanging onto something for the first couple of times can help people learn the mechanics.
She shows great commitment to keeping her chest up and forward.
But you can see that just as she starts pushing the weight up her balance shifts. To me it looks like she never really gets the weight onto her heels ever, stops at midfoot.
And if she has a pair of shoes flatter or at least more solid than those I suggest she wears them instead. The Zag is a really poor shoe for any type of weight training. It would be a poor choice if the midsole had solid material just due to the lift and how soft it is, but the zag design creates an even more unstable shoe.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have some good links on Carb Nite? I think that's what I'll transition to, from keto and no exercise to training program and Carb Nite.

CrankyJay

Banned
How do I build up the center of my chest where the two pecs meet?

Not a pro by any means....wouldn't chest flys hit that area?

edit: found this chart...i guess i'm wrong

173e4d60.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
In that case just be careful. Taking ALA without enough carbs can actually cause hypoglycemia. I'd imagin a bun is at least 30-40g carbs so you are probably ok.

I appreciate the concern. Maybe I threw out the comment before I gave it a lot of thought. I don't really enjoy fries so I wasn't planning on having them anyways. But maybe I can have a milkshake on the side or something.

But after a couple of days of limited carbs I was getting the "hypo sweats" something serious. Dropping sugar from my diet completely was a bit of a shock to the system. My prescription of Dr.Pepper was pretty high. So I was just considering the possibility that my body would not react well to even the carbs that would accompany a large burger. I started showing insulin sensitivity issues many years ago and ALA has always been nice to me. Was more worried that I would be having low blood sugar issues an hour after the meal if I didn't take something to help me out.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

What exactly do you mean? Are you thick elsewhere through your pecs compared to there? Or so you feel that you have a large space in between your pecs?

What chest exercises do you currently do?

Edit: nice graphic CrankyJay

seeds19

Banned
Hello this is mi first post in this thread and I have a question, is the p90x lean workout worth for burning fat and grown a little bit of muscle? actually i'm in the first week of that workout after triying the classic and failed miserably due to my fisic condition, i'm not obesse or fat but i i need to loss 8kg or 10 kg and gain resistance any advice?

Thanks in advance.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hello this is mi first post in this thread and I have a question, is the p90x lean workout worth for burning fat and grown a little bit of muscle? actually i'm in the first week of that workout after triying the classic and failed miserably due to my fisic condition, i'm not obesse or fat but i i need to loss 8kg or 10 kg and gain resistance any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's possible to lean out and put on "a little" muscle in the process, especially if you're a beginner.

edit: If you want more specific p90x questions there is a thread dedicated to it! http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55579948

SeanR1221

Thanks for the input guys. I've told her to ditch the shoes before or go barefoot. I'll encourage her to work on her flexibility. Maybe we'll work on it together :)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Really any chest move that allows you to bring your hands close together at peak contraction will build the muscle closest to middle of the chest.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. I've told her to ditch the shoes before or go barefoot. I'll encourage her to work on her flexibility. Maybe we'll work on it together :)

Huge props to her and you for getting her to squat...been trying to talk my wife into this as well.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Barefoot takes some strong feet and if she wears heels most of the time I'm gonna guess flat footed training might be hard on her.
I'm not saying go buy Chuck Taylor's for her squat sessions. But the lower that sole the better. Sucks if she likes to run of the treadmill after workouts though cause a shoe that is best for squats will be the least comfortable to run in.

Davidion

Nope not misleading, I feel it there too, as long as I squeeze at the top I get a burn in the middle of my chest.

It's the finish that does it though, and it can be iffy with flys. For instance, some gyms have larger dumbbells which wouldn't let you fully flex your chest during flys.

FWIW, much like the chart suggests, I've had good response from narrow grip presses.

abuC

It's the finish that does it though, and it can be iffy with flys. For instance, some gyms have larger dumbbells which wouldn't let you fully flex your chest during flys.

FWIW, much like the chart suggests, I've had good response from narrow grip presses.

I got lucky my gym has DBs of all sizes, the rack must be about 50 feet long.

The best inner chest workout for me so far has been the close DB press, by the 8th rep you feel like you might be having a heart attack on both sides.

SeanR1221

Huge props to her and you for getting her to squat...been trying to talk my wife into this as well.

It's been a long struggle but letting her find her own path, while giving lots of positive reinforcement, has helped. I'll be interested to see her results on 5/3/1.

Barefoot takes some strong feet and if she wears heels most of the time I'm gonna guess flat footed training might be hard on her.
I'm not saying go buy Chuck Taylor's for her squat sessions. But the lower that sole the better. Sucks if she likes to run of the treadmill after workouts though cause a shoe that is best for squats will be the least comfortable to run in.

She rarely does cardio anymore (if she does she bikes). They make "cute" crossfit squat shoes I'm sure I could get her to wear.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, it's really hard to find reasons why I should switch to Carb Nite over staying with keto. I guess mental sanity? My keto weight loss is starting to plateau and I want to get in the gym again, and I think Carb Nite is better for that.

It's REALLY tough to find info out there without getting a fast one pulled on you by their marketers.

CrankyJay

Banned
Man, it's really hard to find reasons why I should switch to Carb Nite over staying with keto. I guess mental sanity? My keto weight loss is starting to plateau and I want to get in the gym again, and I think Carb Nite is better for that.

It's REALLY tough to find info out there without getting a fast one pulled on you by their marketers.

Gotta google the real world results and how regular people adapted their lives to this...I did something similar for lean gains.

If anything, she could stand to go deeper...if she can't go that deep have her try widening her stance a little bit.

My. This thread *is* full of good advice...

In all seriousness though kudos to her. I actually got to know my (future) wife as she was the one girl in our group of friends who wanted to lift with the guys in the weight room. If anything it's probably even more important for women than for men to help with preventing bone issues later in life.

What I've always been told:

Inner chest can't really be isolated because of how muscle fibers work. Inner vs. outer chest isn't really a thing and the distinction is bro-science. When a fiber squeezes, the whole length of it contracts. You can't just have the left half of it relax while the right half squeezes, or vice-versa. Fibers run from the middle of the chest to the armbone. Thus, each pec fiber is one continuous piece of muscle with no distinct 'inner' or 'outer' part. The shape of the muscle along the sternum is mainly determined by genetics. All you can really do for the middle is make the pec as a whole as big and strong as possible.

I don't mean to offer this as advice so much as to ask if it's true. Never studied anatomy.

balddemon

Banned
What I've always been told:

Inner chest can't really be isolated because of how muscle fibers work. Inner vs. outer chest isn't really a thing and the distinction is bro-science. When a fiber squeezes, the whole length of it contracts. You can't just have the left half of it relax while the right half squeezes, or vice-versa. Fibers run from the middle of the chest to the armbone. Thus, each pec fiber is one continuous piece of muscle with no distinct 'inner' or 'outer' part. The shape of the muscle along the sternum is mainly determined by genetics. All you can really do for the middle is make the pec as a whole as big and strong as possible.

this is all true
but sometimes broscience just feels right

although you do have a pectorialis major and minor

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Left arm is noticeably weaker than my right. Really need to focus on strengthening it but don't know where to begin.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh so hard...

Similar story my roomie was getting a deep tissue massage and when working the forearms the girl goes "So you must do a lot of tennis or golf!" and he goes "Umm... no...."

I'm in a similar boat as you though, with my right arm, and I've found by doing the same weights it is catching up a little bit, instead of pushing my left arm to its max and leaving the right arm out

Zoe

That's why I have three pairs of shoes in my gym bag.

(Vibrams, minimalists for jogging outside, and cross trainers for cardio with resistance bands)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom