• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fitness-GAF, I got some questions.

Straight up, I would call myself "skinny-fat." I was always kind of tall and lanky, and was generally just skinny for most of my life. Now I'm 27 and four years of college and then another four years of a desk job have left me, shall we say, "soft." I'm about 6'3"-4" or so and currently at about 175lbs. Numbers-wise obviously that doesn't sound bad, but make no mistake about it, I'm not in any particularly good shape. I was up at around 200lbs at my worst. Over the past year or two I engaged in some real half-assed exercise and dieting which got me down to where I am, but although I'm 25lbs lower than I was before I don't feel any "stronger" or like I have any more energy.

So, fast forward to now, or at least three weeks ago. I knew if I just got a gym membership I would just go to the gym and half-ass it like I did before. Thankfully, I'm pretty stable financially, so instead I decided to sign up with a personal trainer, someone to bust my ass and keep my honest. Work out twice a week, and I'm about three sessions in and I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it thus far. Its almost all strength-training based, full-body, one-set max effort. Capped off with a few minutes of HIIT on a machine (bike, elliptical, it changes). It is a level of exertion that I've never felt before, I feel like just a slab of meat when we're done. The next day I feel sore in areas I never even realized you can be sore in. So far I'm really positive on that.

My questions come in on the nutrition side. I like to think I've been pretty good on protein, I've been keeping it up between 150-200g a day. I just don't know what to do about the rest. Should I be limiting my carbs? If so, how much? And people keep saying eating fats don't make you fat, which sounds great to me, but even then, just how much is too much? I don't have a ideal weight in my mind, I'm not looking to necessarily gain or lose weight, just replace fat with muscle (which I assume is just about everyone's real goal). So, realistically should I be eating more calories than normal? Less? That's kind of the confusing part for me.

blackflag

Explain what this is

CKD keto is usually 60% fat 40% protein(percentage by calorie not gram). As few non fiber carbs as possible. Usually less than 20g per day. Carb load once per week for usually 36 hours. This is how I lost 80 lbs.

I believe carb night is similar but the load is only for 1 evening a week. (I think) the author gouges on his pricing. Seriously. I like his ideas but I'm not paying 50 dollars for an ebook that someone could sum up in 3 pages.

My typical day would be

140g fats
220g protein
20g carbs

PBY

Banned
CKD keto is usually 60% fat 40% protein(percentage by calorie not gram). As few non fiber carbs as possible. Usually less than 20g per day. Carb load once per week for usually 36 hours. This is how I lost 80 lbs.

I believe carb night is similar but the load is only for 1 evening a week. (I think) the author gouges on his pricing. Seriously. I like his ideas but I'm not paying 50 dollars for an ebook that someone could sum up in 3 pages.

My typical day would be

140g carbs
220g protein
20g carbs
I'm assuming u meant 140 g fats? And there's no meal timing or is there?

blackflag

I'm assuming u meant 140 g fats? And there's no meal timing or is there?

Err yeah fats. No meal timing but some people do it with intermittent fasting.

Basically eat
chicken
Steak
Ground beef
Pork
Fish
Low carb sausage
Bacon
Eggs
Butter
Cheese
Heavy cream
Unsweetened almond milk
Pepperoni
Spinach
Almonds (sparingly)
Broccoli
Lettuce

kylej

Banned
Hey Fitness-GAF, I got some questions.

Straight up, I would call myself "skinny-fat." I was always kind of tall and lanky, and was generally just skinny for most of my life. Now I'm 27 and four years of college and then another four years of a desk job have left me, shall we say, "soft." I'm about 6'3"-4" or so and currently at about 175lbs. Numbers-wise obviously that doesn't sound bad, but make no mistake about it, I'm not in any particularly good shape. I was up at around 200lbs at my worst. Over the past year or two I engaged in some real half-assed exercise and dieting which got me down to where I am, but although I'm 25lbs lower than I was before I don't feel any "stronger" or like I have any more energy.

So, fast forward to now, or at least three weeks ago. I knew if I just got a gym membership I would just go to the gym and half-ass it like I did before. Thankfully, I'm pretty stable financially, so instead I decided to sign up with a personal trainer, someone to bust my ass and keep my honest. Work out twice a week, and I'm about three sessions in and I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it thus far. Its almost all strength-training based, full-body, one-set max effort. Capped off with a few minutes of HIIT on a machine (bike, elliptical, it changes). It is a level of exertion that I've never felt before, I feel like just a slab of meat when we're done. The next day I feel sore in areas I never even realized you can be sore in. So far I'm really positive on that.

My questions come in on the nutrition side. I like to think I've been pretty good on protein, I've been keeping it up between 150-200g a day. I just don't know what to do about the rest. Should I be limiting my carbs? If so, how much? And people keep saying eating fats don't make you fat, which sounds great to me, but even then, just how much is too much? I don't have a ideal weight in my mind, I'm not looking to necessarily gain or lose weight, just replace fat with muscle (which I assume is just about everyone's real goal). So, realistically should I be eating more calories than normal? Less? That's kind of the confusing part for me.

You're in noob gains mode. If you're skinny fat, let your body recompose itself for a few months while eating regular whole foods. What are your aesthetic goals?

You're in noob gains mode. If you're skinny fat, let your body recompose itself for a few months while eating regular whole foods. What are your aesthetic goals?

Not sure what you mean by "aesthetic goals." I'm not looking to "get big" by any means. Ultimately I guess just more proportional. I would say mostly just to get a little more proportional so as not to be that kind of tall and lanky that I would classify myself as now.

blackflag

Not sure what you mean by "aesthetic goals." I'm not looking to "get big" by any means. Ultimately I guess just more proportional. I would say mostly just to get a little more proportional so as not to be that kind of tall and lanky that I would classify myself as now.

Aesthetic just means "pleasing to the eye"

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Could I get a link to this? Tomorrow's my fourth day of testing out for 5/3/1, and I've never done serious OHP training, so unlike the rest of the lifts being like riding a bike again, this is like learning how ride a bike the first time.

Bench, deads, squats in the books. My squats are garbage, which isn't surprising given the equipment I've had. At least smith bench is just bench without stabilization. Smith squat is a bullshit hack squat, at best, so my leg strength is weak. I damn near benched what my squat was =/

Here's all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7-vuqAmBRT20UO0ewEXPC9iCtH-tiNuv

Noema

Could I get a link to this? Tomorrow's my fourth day of testing out for 5/3/1, and I've never done serious OHP training, so unlike the rest of the lifts being like riding a bike again, this is like learning how ride a bike the first time.

Bench, deads, squats in the books. My squats are garbage, which isn't surprising given the equipment I've had. At least smith bench is just bench without stabilization. Smith squat is a bullshit hack squat, at best, so my leg strength is weak. I damn near benched what my squat was =/

You'd probably be better off doing a couple of months of SS or GSLP. You'll be able to up your numbers much faster than with 531.

After a couple of stalls switch to 531. But you'll progress faster with a linear progression at this point.

balddemon

Banned
Sweet, thanks! I've never messed around with taking stuff pre workout, I just try to eat 30-40 min before. Is that bad?
I was just pointing out that it doesn't really matter what brand you take. ON is just a good quality, good flavor, relatively cheap brand.

for me, it doesn't really matter what I eat or do before working out as long as I've eaten a good amount of calories by that point in the day. 30-40 minutes should be no problem. I guess if I had to pick, I'd say I like working out with a full stomach. then I take my preworkout right before I walk out the door and by the time I'm in the squat rack I'm ready to go.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
If you guys want that ON whey at Costco I'm thinking you should get it while you can.
I'm only guessing here but I think the only reason that is there is because there was an error in production, misflavoured, ingredient missed in production etc... A vendor had trouble paying their bill and ON reclaimed the product and needed to sell it somewhere. Short dated etc...
ON is extremely protective of their brand strength and have been solid in their guarantee that they will never be available at mass retailers. Speciality stores only.

As an ex ON sales rep I speak from experience.

If more flavours start showing up then maybe ON has altered their feelings about this situation.

Cudder

If you guys want that ON whey at Costco I'm thinking you should get it while you can.
I'm only guessing here but I think the only reason that is there is because there was an error in production, misflavoured, ingredient missed in production etc... A vendor had trouble paying their bill and ON reclaimed the product and needed to sell it somewhere. Short dated etc...
ON is extremely protective of their brand strength and have been solid in their guarantee that they will never be available at mass retailers. Speciality stores only.

As an ex ON sales rep I speak from experience.

If more flavours start showing up then maybe ON has altered their feelings about this situation.

Best flavour of ON Whey? I'm hearing all different things from all different people. What's the difference between Mocha and Coffee?

rando14

dat chicks with abs thread

ib0EnDBxLMfn3R.gif

f0nz0

Best flavour of ON Whey? I'm hearing all different things from all different people. What's the difference between Mocha and Coffee?

I've tried a couple different flavors, havent tried coffe, or mocha, but i keep reading that mocha cappuccino is one of their best flavors. I just bought me a tub of extreme milk chocolate, and I think this might be the perfect protein shake for me, sweet,but not overbearing, and it actually tastes like milk chocolate..I'm probably sticking to this flavor from now on.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

I have never tried either of the Mocha or Coffee. Those weren't available when I was still working in the supp industry. The choc is my favorite chocolate flavored anything. I have been buying choc ON for years. Like over a decade easy. So my opinion is get the chocolate.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
My man.

Curves >>>> Abs

Yep. It's not the muscle, it's the low bodyfat. Also can't help but think how unhealthy it is for women to go that low, as was mentioned during the hormone talk a few pages back.

Cudder

I have never tried either of the Mocha or Coffee. Those weren't available when I was still working in the supp industry. The choc is my favorite chocolate flavored anything. I have been buying choc ON for years. Like over a decade easy. So my opinion is get the chocolate.

Extreme Milk or Double Rich? lol

Bob Ross

Just hit 225 for my dead lifts. Feels good man. I have been lifting for about 3 months now and am down to 154 lbs. 225 is feeling real good.

Laughlin

Do you guys recommend any diet plans for a poor college kid? It almost seems impossible to get much bigger since I can't afford a ton of food.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do you guys recommend any diet plans for a poor college kid? It almost seems impossible to get much bigger since I can't afford a ton of food.
Lots of milk. Peanut butter can get expensive but it's not too bad. Good calorie dense food. Canned tuna and cottage cheese also come to mind.

Noema

Milk is the most macronutrient dense food on the planet. Consume it until it seeps out your ears.

Eggs are also supper cheap (at least here in Mexico, where a dozen eggs go for 2 dollars), and pretty much essential for anyone trying to get big.

cryptic

Might want to try full milk if lesser gives you issues. I've read that the vitamins added into lesser fat milk are first emulsified in corn oil before being added and some people have reactions to it.
Look into lesser steaks like top blades and eye round chucks.
Having about 4oz. of liver once a week is very good for you. It sucks that most meat purveyors sell it old so it sucks in flavor but hold your nose and you can't taste anything;I eat it like a multivitamin.
Eggs are good as well as sardines packed in water. The latter are a good source of calcium and protein along with trace minerals that are largely missing from most diets; plus it's your fish oil cap. Again sardines may taste bad but after a hard workout they'll become an acquired taste. I actually even drink the juice now.
Hate this idea or love it I think sugar has a place in keeping the mind healthy and active so don't fear the fruit, especially delicious OJ after some eggs.

blackflag

I don't get the ON love. I never liked it and its super thin. I like my shake to taste like dessert. There's nothing wrong with ON. It'll get the job done, I just don't like the taste or consistency.

blackflag

Pretty good workout tonight. Felt like a beast. Cut it short cuz it was almost 10 and I wanted to get to Boston Market.

Bench
10 x 135
8 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
2 x 315
1 x 325
10 x 225

Incline db press
8 x 95
8 x 95
7 x 95
6 x 95
6 x 80

Cable fly
12 x 60
12 x 60
9 x 60
9 x 60

Machine fly
12 x 120
14 x 120
10 x 120

Seated tricep ext
12 x 75
10 x 100
9 x 100
7 x 100

HS dips
12 x 230
9 x 230
9 x 230

Tricep pushdown
15 x 67.5
11 x 75
10 x 80
9 x 80
20 x 60

Laughlin

Milk is the most macronutrient dense food on the planet. Consume it until it seeps out your ears.

Eggs are also supper cheap (at least here in Mexico, where a dozen eggs go for 2 dollars), and pretty much essential for anyone trying to get big.

Luckily, I fucking love milk and already drink a good amount of it. Just gotta drink even more I suppose. Eggs are also a usual buy for me.

Mew2

Neo Member
Do you guys like fitness?

Cus I'ma be fitness **** in your mouth

How much should I be able to bench press @ 150 pounds? 5"9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom