• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only in the 2nd week of my second attempt at a cut in my life after 8 months of bulking, and I've lost 7 pounds already at around 2500cals a day depending on activity.

Love tracking my macros via MyFitnessPal, makes it too easy really, I'm being able to fit in some delicious food while still staying on target. Also using a measurement cup and a scale keeps things accurate.

I think this past bulk really helped restore my metabolism, when I was an obese teenager losing weight I messed stuff up, going as low as 1200cals occasionally.

I don't think I'll ever need to go below 2000cals.

You can see what I eat here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Alameri1988 (I don't add veggies)

Feel free to add.

72095_10152755917215082_915550218_n.jpg
Most recent pic of me, taken a few days ago. I've been really lazy on this cut, not eating right, only working out 3-4 days a week. I've been in such a mess lately.

Dating ruins everything.

Addi

have you looked into any routines or plans? I Know someone posted a chest periodization routine that could work.

for abs, don't do heavy work, do volume work. p90x ab ripper is great.

basically you are wanting to do high volume stuff - so like 3-4 exercises for 3-5 sets of 10-12 reps each. I suggest finding a program to follow though.

Yeah, maybe I should try a periodization plan or something. I always try to be balanced and train every body part equally, but since some parts are lagging, I might just refocus how I train.

'Heavy' wasn't the right word, I do my abs exercises in a rep range of around 10. Maybe 'tiring' is a better word. I feel abs exercises quickly become too light, something you can do for a lot of reps without feeling anything. Right now I mostly do full hanging leg raises, hanging windshield wipers and V-ups. Yesterday I actually tried some dragon flags, was able to do 2 reps, lol. I'll look around a bit and see if I can find new exercises.

and thanks for the tips, I rarely discuss fitness with anyone (my friends are film students who smoke and don't train at all), so I'll guess I'll hang around here a bit :p

Dating ruins everything.

Sounds like a nice first world problem :p You look huge!

despire

Solid PR today on bench: 290x1. Pretty stoked, and I think it was thanks to a recommendation from a friend. For 5/3/1 Bench, I was supposed to do:

Warmup
120x5
155x5
185x3

Work sets
230x5
260x3
290x1

However, a friend of mine (Jacob Cloud, the guy who edits 70sbig.com now that Justin is away) has been training another buddy whose bench used to be weaker than mine. However, his bench is now close to 315, mostly due to this change to help him get used to heavier weight. Instead of my usual, I did:

Warmup
120x5
155x5
185x3
230x1
260x1

Work sets
230x5
260x3
290x1

Weight went up with barely a stall. Keep in mind this is also with me 5 pounds lighter than I was last week (due to travel), and when I did 285x1, it was slow going.

A single set isn't quite enough to convince me that it was purely the cause--my form was also on point and it was the first time I wore squat shoes to bench in, which helped my foot position--but I may even try it with squats and deads.

I think Jacob is posting an article about it (the method, not me) tomorrow on 70's Big, too. Hoping this can at least help my dead finally get to 500. A previous training partner thought my limiter was my nervous system not being used to max effort weight, too.

This sounds incredibly interesting. Definately will be trying this one out sooner or later.

I noticed that in the article the OWU's weight goes above the work sets weight but in your example you just use the weight of the first two sets of 5/3/1. I guess the example in your post is the way to use it with 5/3/1?

SeanR1221

Got to the gym at 730 so I could squat before going to the powerlifting meet at Iron Sport.

Got a McGriddle afterwards. You win, Fitgaf. That thing was amazing.

I'm second guessing myself having an all out cheat day for my bachelor party. Will you guys please tell me to shut up and just enjoy myself for the day? I'm slowly leaning towards tuna and broccoli for lunch.

CrankyJay

Banned
Got to the gym at 730 so I could squat before going to the powerlifting meet at Iron Sport.

I'm second guessing myself having an all out cheat day for my bachelor party. Will you guys please tell me to shut up and just enjoy myself for the day? I'm slowly leaning towards tuna and broccoli for lunch.

Have fun tonight man!

Please shut up and enjoy your day...you only get a handful of these sort of days in your life (and hopefully only one bachelor party), so go all out!

Great arms you guys!

I'm really lagging behind with my biceps.
My triceps are growing just fine, quite noticeably, but I've not managed to increase my weight for my dumbbell curls in weeks - stuck on 12.5kgs, 3x6-10 (and I even have to take a short intra-set break to manage 8-10 of them).
I've tried stepping it down to 10kgs stuck with that, then tried to increase it again only get stuck again.

I did have a longish break some time ago when I went on a vacation, so whatever gains I lost from that isn't helping either.

Petrie

Banned

Dude. This is your day. If I get an inkling you are even paying attention to what you're eating and drinking, I will round up Buffalo Fitgaf and we will come ram desserts down your gullet.

I.e. go have fun man.

Probably already posted...

FREE 1 year Gold Card GNC membership with $10 purchase

Didn't post cause its online which means no sweet coupon. Lol

Great arms you guys!

I'm really lagging behind with my biceps.
My triceps are growing just fine, quite noticeably, but I've not managed to increase my weight for my dumbbell curls in weeks - stuck on 12.5kgs, 3x6-10 (and I even have to take a short intra-set break to manage 8-10 of them).
I've tried stepping it down to 10kgs stuck with that, then tried to increase it again only get stuck again.

I did have a longish break some time ago when I went on a vacation, so whatever gains I lost from that isn't helping either.

For a long time I was stuck at 10lbs for curls. I then switched up my routine abd tried the lift to fail method where on my 3rd set I would up the weights by 5 lbs but decrease the reps. In about a week I saw a huge boost both in size and strength where I can now comfortably curl 20-25lbs.

The lift until fail method has really worked for me.

Most recent pic of me, taken a few days ago. I've been really lazy on this cut, not eating right, only working out 3-4 days a week. I've been in such a mess lately.

Dating ruins everything.

Darth you look so good man. Here I was thinking only your thighs were as big as tree trunks.

SeanR1221

Have fun tonight man!

Please shut up and enjoy your day...you only get a handful of these sort of days in your life (and hopefully only one bachelor party), so go all out!

Dude. This is your day. If I get an inkling you are even paying attention to what you're eating and drinking, I will round up Buffalo Fitgaf and we will come ram desserts down your gullet.

I.e. go have fun man.

Didn't post cause its online which means no sweet coupon. Lol

Ok ok ok. How about chipotle bowl, double meat for lunch?

I have dat former fat guilt.

For a long time I was stuck at 10lbs for curls. I then switched up my routine abd tried the lift to fail method where on my 3rd set I would up the weights by 5 lbs but decrease the reps. In about a week I saw a huge boost both in size and strength where I can now comfortably curl 20-25lbs.

The lift until fail method has really worked for me.

I'm considering doing that, or trying to do a higher weight but with lower reps (though, at 15kgs I doubt I'll be able to do more than 2-4 at a time).

My student gym have a course up for £475 or something that gives you a level 2 fitness QVC something something qualification. Half-considering signing up, as the extra knowledge might very well help me out, and down the line turn into a part-time job (that gives me free access to the gym!) while I continue my studies.

andycapps

Yeah if you go into GNC stores now they'll give you a 2 month free. So if you already have a membership they'll add two months to your existing one. Got some cinnamon roll quest bars yesterday. They're really good, but cookie dough is my favorite so far.

Got one of their mixer bottles yesterday that has a container in the bottom for protein mix. Pretty cool.

I'm guessing the slickdeals thing is about the 2 month free promo unless they're offering a year online and only 2 months in the store.

blackflag

Ok ok ok. How about chipotle bowl, double meat for lunch?

I have dat former fat guilt.

Chipotle isn't even really cheat but dat shit is good.

Hmmm it's my birthday today. What do? Can't even really say cheat day since carb backloading that's like every workout day.

I think I need some good red velvet cake. No idea where to get it.

Petrie

Banned
Chipotle isn't even really cheat but dat shit is good.

Hmmm it's my birthday today. What do? Can't even really say cheat day since carb backloading that's like every workout day.

I think I need some good red velvet cake. No idea where to get it.

Every year for my bday my girl gets me a carvel ice cream cake, my favorite dessert. It is a rare diabetic cheat, and I don't have to share any. I usually do anyways just to not ruin my A1C completely, but boy do I look forward to it.

Someone should make you red velvet cupcakes. With cream cheese frosting. Mmm

blackflag

Every year for my bday my girl gets me a carvel ice cream cake, my favorite dessert. It is a rare diabetic cheat, and I don't have to share any. I usually do anyways just to not ruin my A1C completely, but boy do I look forward to it.

Someone should make you red velvet cupcakes. With cream cheese frosting. Mmm

That feel when you have no girl and you are just gonna go to the gym on your birthday.

SeanR1221

Damn seeing these women squat over 225 is awesome.

Some dude went up to do a 600+ squat. Purposely slammed his head against the bar to get hyped up and was bleeding. He went to drop the bar too early on the monolift and collapsed. Luckily he got right up.

blackflag

My girl has gotten better, but there's still days she will be upset I go to the gym after work instead of rushing home to her. Sucks.

My ex would complain when I went to the gym......my gym was in our fucking garage. Just thinking about it makes me angry.

The Chef

Dating ruins everything.

hahah holy shit those arms are amazing.
Great chest definition too. Excellent work.

Do any of you guys use gloves that are also straps?

I use Harbinger gloves w/ wrist strap and then use regular old straps, but they dont really fit well with the gloves. Its annoying when I'm supersetting back with bi's or chest. If its back itself I just don't bother with the gloves.

Any recommendations?

This Carbnite talk has piqued my interest. I've been doing straight keto for a few months and have a good grasp of it. For carbnite do I just pick one night a week and eat a pizza or what? Not clear on what carbing up really entails.

Also I bought a PB and J quest bar and it was a struggle to get down. Bought two boxes of cookie dough and having a hard time not eating all of them.

blackflag

This Carbnite talk has piqued my interest. I've been doing straight keto for a few months and have a good grasp of it. For carbnite do I just pick one night a week and eat a pizza or what? Not clear on what carbing up really entails.

Also I bought a PB and J quest bar and it was a struggle to get down. Bought two boxes of cookie dough and having a hard time not eating all of them.

Wtf do you not like peanut butter? I still may like PB&j more than cookie dough. Not sure yet.

Not sure for carb nite how many carbs to eat but I did CKD keto for like a year. Here's some info for that.

Summary of Guidelines for the Carb-Load
8-10 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of lean body mass should be consumed during the initial 24 hours of the carb-load. This will make up 70% of the total calories consumed. During the second 24 hours, approximately 5 grams/kg should be consumed which will be approximately 60% of the total calories consumed.
Protein intake should be approximately 1 gram per pound during all phases of the carb-load. In the first 24 hours, this will represent about 15% of total calories, in the second 24 hours, this will represent about 25% of total calories.
Fat intake should be kept at 15% of total calories during the first 24 hours, or a maximum of 88 grams of fat. Fat intake should be roughly cut in half during the second 24 hours of the carb-load.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/resea...clical-ketogenic-diet-with-lyle-mcdonald.html

IMO the carb nite guy just ripped off this and shortened the carb load. I preferred the longer carb load since I workout like a beast.

The Chef

Wait till you see his quad. Definitely mirin

lol

I failed on a deadlift this morning. Not like the dude on that fb video but still only got it to my kneed and nearly passed out. Got 295 up solid but when I went for 315 I almost died.
I truly have terrible form. I instinctively want to lift the bar, lock my knees and soon and possible and then straighten my back. I am going to break my spine one of these days.

Petrie

Banned
I like PB ok, I think food that tries to be something it's not (like fake jelly taste, no jelly in sight) puts me off a little. Now how do I carb damnit.

When I first opened a PBJ I was really disappointed, as I expected some jelly-like substance and texture in there. took half a bar for it to click for me.

1/2 my boxes have been cookie dough, the rest brownie, peanut butter, cinnamon roll, and peanut butter chocolate (regrettable). need more peanut butter and pbj though.

Noema

lol

I failed on a deadlift this morning. Not like the dude on that fb video but still only got it to my kneed and nearly passed out. Got 295 up solid but when I went for 315 I almost died.
I truly have terrible form. I instinctively want to lift the bar, lock my knees and soon and possible and then straighten my back. I am going to break my spine one of these days.

Post a form video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom