• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Props to you but no way in hell could I still be married to my wife if she were that clingy. We love spending time together but we each have our alone time as well be it gym/computer/studying.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Got to the gym at 730 so I could squat before going to the powerlifting meet at Iron Sport.

Got a McGriddle afterwards. You win, Fitgaf. That thing was amazing.

I'm second guessing myself having an all out cheat day for my bachelor party. Will you guys please tell me to shut up and just enjoy myself for the day? I'm slowly leaning towards tuna and broccoli for lunch.

Seriously shut up and enjoy yourself. Someday you will be 50 years old, looking back on the things you enjoyed in your life.
I freakin guarantee that you will not be thinking about how proud you are of yourself for having tuna and broccoli at your bachelor party.

Petrie

Banned
Props to you but no way in hell could I still be married to my wife if she were that clingy. We love spending time together but we each have our alone time as well be it gym/computer/studying.

Well part of it is simply how much free time she has right now. Since graduating and not finding a job yet, she job hunts, but most of her time is simply free time.

Once she is working it'll let up significantly.

Enco

Seriously shut up and enjoy yourself. Someday you will be 50 years old, looking back on the things you enjoyed in your life.
I freakin guarantee that you will not be thinking about how proud you are of yourself for having tuna and broccoli at your bachelor party.

:lol this

You'll be pissed at wasting a day on something so silly.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright got the double chicken bowl with all the fixins AND a bag of chips. Woooo!!!

Some days you just have to pretend don't exist, also don't look up the calories in alcohol if tonight is your bachelor party that one won't do you any favours either haha.

Epic eats today so far and it's only 10am!

ibinswdg07XikU

ibgAyl9YNzG19g

-Ribs and tri-tip for BKFast
-chicken/steak fajitas for early lunch

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I live with my mom so I'm able to spend money like that. At least I'm spending money on healthy things instead of like $100 aged tequila :p

I'm not big on meats but I hear you on vegetables. I try to eat a new vegetable every week. I eat my veggies raw, no cooking or additives. Just wash it under water and eat it.

Kale, I've tried every? type of Kale this year.

Organic Lacinato (Black, Dinosaur, etc.) Kale

Organic Red Kale

Organic Regular Kale

Purple Kale

The Lacinato kale was hardcore! Hard to eat raw. Red kale was good, tastes like regular kale. Regular kale was the easiest to eat raw. Purple kale tastes flowery.

I could go on.. I discovered Broccoli Rabe 3 weeks ago! Ever heard of it? Now I'm hooked. Very easy to eat raw

However, the worst veggie of the year is Dandelion Greens :vomit:

Organic Dandelion Greens:
If you're gonna eat dandelion, you HAVE to cook it .. Boil them add some potatoes and mix in olive oil - AMAZING

Hey guys, I posted this in the other thread...kinda new to all of this, so go easy on me >_<

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Goal: Tone muscles overall, work on abs, generally just getting into shape.
Current Training Schedule: monday, wednesday, friday. light work outs on all days
Current Training Equipment Available: school gym with various cardio and weight lifting equipment
Comments: complete novice...

Hey guys, I've been slowly creeping in on this thread and finally decided to post.

To start, I'm about 6'4" and 160 lbs. I'm trying to get in shape, more toned overall than anything, but I literally know NOTHING about working out and whatnot. Absolute, total, beginning. Hell, I didn't even really play sports when I was in school.

I've started going to the gym with my roommate about 3 times a week. Monday's we focus on back and shoulders, Wednesdays we do legs and core, with Fridays being arms and chest. While its not the most intense workout regimen, its something that is slowly allowing my lanky body to get into the groove of things while trying to find the proper routine to really kick my body into shape this summer. I'm trying to focus more on toning my muscles and my abs.

So does anyone have any recommendations as to which of these programs to start? I see some people saying that one should get a weight set, but does anyone have any recommendations for that as well? Like I said, complete newbie here, so I know nothing of weights.

I appreciate any help people can offer and I"m going to sub to this thread in hopes that I can kick my ass into gear this summer. My friends always told me that I could do so relatively fast since I have no fat on my body, but I guess I'm just ready to find out.

entremet

Hey guys, I posted this in the other thread...kinda new to all of this, so go easy on me >_<

Hey guys, I've been slowly creeping in on this thread and finally decided to post.

To start, I'm about 6'4" and 160 lbs. I'm trying to get in shape, more toned overall than anything, but I literally know NOTHING about working out and whatnot. Absolute, total, beginning. Hell, I didn't even really play sports when I was in school.

I've started going to the gym with my roommate about 3 times a week. Monday's we focus on back and shoulders, Wednesdays we do legs and core, with Fridays being arms and chest. While its not the most intense workout regimen, its something that is slowly allowing my lanky body to get into the groove of things while trying to find the proper routine to really kick my body into shape this summer. I'm trying to focus more on toning my muscles and my abs.

So does anyone have any recommendations as to which of these programs to start? I see some people saying that one should get a weight set, but does anyone have any recommendations for that as well? Like I said, complete newbie here, so I know nothing of weights.

I appreciate any help people can offer and I"m going to sub to this thread in hopes that I can kick my ass into gear this summer. My friends always told me that I could do so relatively fast since I have no fat on my body, but I guess I'm just ready to find out.

Newbies shouldn't do dedicated splits. For maximum gains do a full body routine like Starting Strength in the OP.

I also like Ice Cream Fitness's beginner routine, which has more direct arm work, which SS lacks, but the workouts are long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo

Eat a lot and train hard and you'll gain some nice muscle mass after a year.

But don't do a split if you want maximum gains.

kylej

Banned

Current Training Schedule: monday, wednesday, friday. light work outs on all days
Current Training Equipment Available: school gym with various cardio and weight lifting equipment

Read the first post. Do Starting Strength. Once you're rolling with Starting Strength, you need to eat, cause 6'4" 160lbs is very very skinny.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Real talk here's what you want to do.

Read the OP - select Starting Strength. Adjust your exercises to that program. Then, diet properly.

If you're looking to gain muscle, eat a surplus of calories. If you want to lose weight, and just lose weight, I recommend cardio and eating at a deficit. Weight loss/gain is diet, plain and simple.

If you want both? Well...you're a beginner so that ish should come easily while you eat at maintenance calories, provided you're doing Starting Strength.

EDIT: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild

Also I hiiiighly recommend not even touching cardio period.

Noema

Do SS. Do it as is. Don't change anything. 6'4" and 160lb? You can probably get to 200lb in 8 or 9 months if you do it right.

Nothing to laugh about; you form isn't terrible. You could do with raising your hips a wee bit more before the pull to increase hamstring tightness.

And you need to consiously shove your hips forward at the top. At one point it seemed you were trying to straighten your back and reach lockout with just your erectors.

And: you need to eat more.

"Toning" is not the best word to help people figure out what you want because it does not have a very clear definition- it doesn't actually mean anything in the context of anatomy, so everybody has a different mental image of what it means.

The program people are recommending, starting strength, is a strength training program for beginners. Even though it is a powerlifting program, it gets recommended to basically everyone who expresses interest in weight training because it's a relatively simple list of exercises, with a clearly defined plan for progressing, and will teach you the basic barbell lifts. It's a damn good program.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I kinda posted after glancing over the OP, so I'm reading over that now. Waiting for my roommate to get up before running to the gym.

Noema

"Toning" is not the best word to help people figure out what you want because it does not have a very clear definition- it doesn't actually mean anything in the context of anatomy, so everybody has a different mental image of what it means.

The program people are recommending, starting strength, is a strength training program for beginners. Even though it is a powerlifting program, it gets recommended to basically everyone who expresses interest in weight training because it's a relatively simple list of exercises, with a clearly defined plan for progressing, and will teach you the basic barbell lifts. It's a damn good program.

Starting Strength is not a powerlifting program.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the responses guys. I kinda posted after glancing over the OP, so I'm reading over that now. Waiting for my roommate to get up before running to the gym.

Stop running! *shakes you like a baby*

SeanR1221

Do SS. Do it as is. Don't change anything. 6'4" and 160lb? You can probably get to 200lb in 8 or 9 months if you do it right.

Nothing to laugh about; you form isn't terrible. You could do with raising your hips a wee bit more before the pull to increase hamstring tightness.

And you need to consiously shove your hips forward at the top. At one point it seemed you were trying to straighten your back and reach lockout with just your erectors.

I'm glad you responded (since you're the most critical of form checks here)

When I watched it I thought he looks fine. Nice and solid.

despire

Powerlifting program would be something that will train and prepare you for a meet and to compete in powerlifting.

SS is a strength training routine. It has nothing to do with the lifts, it's how you program them and what is the end goal which in this case is to get stronger, not to compete in a meet.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well here I am 19 days from when I decided to cut and I'm pretty sure I'm done. My estimation is about 9% and I honestly have little desire to go lower. Special appearance by my 3 year old who is also on a cut! lol

4-27-13-9.jpg

This is a pic I snapped at Safeway while working because I noticed the lighting was pretty good for showing my ab progress.

4-24-13-3.jpg

Noema

explain the definition of a powerlifting program. because squats, deadlifts, bench press are all powerlifts.

Powerlifting is a competitive sport that consists in performing a Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. Each competitor gets 3 attempts at each lifts, each heavier than the last, should it be successful. The winner is the lifter whose total weight lifted for each highest successful attempt is the winner.

It doesn't follow from that that every athlete who performs the bench press, squat and deadlift is a powerlifter. Olympic weightlifters back squat, bench and deadlift as part of their training but that doesn't make them powerlifters.

Starting Strength uses those 3 lifts, along with the Overhead press, as tools for building strength. The reason it uses those 4 lifts is because they happen to be weighted (loaded with a barbell) expressions of the most important movements performed by human anatomy.

That doesn't lead to the conclusion that Starting Strength is a powerlifting program. It's a strength training program. Its purpose is to make you strong, for any activity that might require strength.

Cudder

Well here I am 19 days from when I decided to cut and I'm pretty sure I'm done. My estimation is about 9% and I honestly have little desire to go lower Special appearance by my 3 year old who is also on a cut! lol

4-27-13-9.jpg

This is a pic I snapped at Safeway at work because I noticed the lighting was pretty good for showing my ab progress.

4-24-13-3.jpg
Don't kill me, but I'd put your bf% at just a bit higher. Maybe 11% or so. You should really get it checked! You could get absolutely shredded if you decided to go lower though. Mirin

The Chef

Thanks for the help dude. I'll keep working on it.
And I hear ya about eating more. Im 6'1 and weight 172. Im desperately trying to eat more and get some more size. My god my legs looks like chicken wings in that video haha.

Also, looking great as always Cooter.

Cooter

Don't kill me, but I'd put your bf% at just a bit higher. Maybe 11% or so. You should really get it checked! You could get absolutely shredded if you decided to go lower though. Mirin

Yeah, I really don't care what it is to be honest. I just said 9 because usually 10 is when abs start peaking through. If it's 11 then so be it. :)

Well here I am 19 days from when I decided to cut and I'm pretty sure I'm done. My estimation is about 9% and I honestly have little desire to go lower. Special appearance by my 3 year old who is also on a cut! lol

4-27-13-9.jpg

This is a pic I snapped at Safeway while working because I noticed the lighting was pretty good for showing my ab progress.

4-24-13-3.jpg
You look amazing man, keep at it!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Been using the pulley wrong for triceps. I was doing the push downs and not controlling the upward motion. I feel like I've wasted two weeks, I need to remember it's not about weight but form! Fuck.

I wish we had DB's at my community gym.

Cooter

Thank you all! I hope it helps show people what years of hard work and nutritional discipline can accomplish! Notice I said years....Baby steps. Week by week and month by month!

moocow

So I've hit 170-173 on my bulk, and these last few pounds have been hard. I'm starting to get nauseous from all the food I have to eat, but fuck it I still plan on hitting 175-180.

Cooter

I'm going to continue my daily fasting with about 2,000 cal per day and see what happens. If I start seeing noticeable muscle loss I'll bump it up to 2,500 a day.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
From an aesthetic standpoint, Cooter, you've pretty much gotten to what I'd personally consider the ideal body type. I can't even comprehend looking so impressive. Great job, duder.
Now stop shaving your chest. ;)

CrankyJay

Banned
Just slammed my third bratwurst on a roll since my fast ended....been doing so many inside and outside chores for the last 5 hours I'm working up a huge appetite. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom