• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banglish

that just looks dangerous.

but it also looks like your knees are going past your toes, which is a no no. I didn't really notice anything else though.

noema will correct me if i'm wrong :p

Dangerous because no safety bumpers?
Right, I'll remember to keep my knees in place.

Noema

And just how shitty is my squat form?

http://youtu.be/oRwPw46p-Vg

Also, you see I'm slowing down. Is that okay? Or does that mean the weight is too heavy?

It's kinda hard to appreciate from the video, but it seems to me you are doing high bar, right? (With the bar on top of your traps).

With this type of squat there's less emphasis on driving with the hips, since much of the work is done by the quadriceps as the hamstrings slacken at the bottom and thus can't really help you rebound off the bottom.

The most important cue at the bottom for you in this case is to drive with your chest, not so much with your hips. You are basically trying to do low bar mechanics on a high bar position. That's why your squat looks so awkward. If you notice your bar path is almost like an S on the way up, making the lift much harder.

Watch this. Pay attention to the difference between low bar and high bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMiUtscrHw

I'd drop the weight to 95lb and practice form with that

but it also looks like your knees are going past your toes, which is a no no. I didn't really notice anything else though.

noema will correct me if i'm wrong :p

You are wrong and thus I'll correct you :p

It's absolutely okay for knees to go past the toes, specially on a high bar squat.

squats.jpg

Notice how on the high bar squat the back angle is much more vertical. Thus the need have to travel forward to compensate. There's no way around that. How much the knees travel forward depends on the type of squat (the more vertical the back angle, the more they travel forward), stance (wider stance means less forward knees - check out a powerlifter's squat with a super ultra wide sumo stance: his shins will be pretty much vertical) and individual anthropometry (the longer the legs with respect to the torso, the more they'll travel forward).

Davidion

Bros, these Adipower shoes are amazing. They do for your squat what a belt does for it.

I feel parts of my ass/legs sore that never felt "hit" in a squat before. Not only that, I felt like I had way more control over my squat and the feeling of your feet NAILED to the ground is pretty fucking awesome.

If you're thinking about getting weightlifting shoes and have the funds fucking do it.

TWO HUNDRED DOLARES *faints*

balddemon

Banned
It's kinda hard to appreciate from the video, but it seems to me you are doing high bar, right? (With the bar on top of your traps).

With this type of squat there's less emphasis on driving with the hips, since much of the work is done by the quadriceps as the hamstrings slacken at the bottom and thus can't really help you rebound off the bottom.

The most important cue at the bottom for you in this case is to drive with your chest, not so much with your hips. You are basically trying to do low bar mechanics on a high bar position. That's why your squat looks so awkward. If you notice your bar path is almost like an S on the way up, making the lift much harder.

It's absolutely okay for knees to go past the toes, specially on a high bar squat.

squats.jpg

Notice how on the high bar squat the back angle is much more vertical. Thus the need have to travel forward to compensate. There's no way around that. How much the knees travel forward depends on the type of squat (the more vertical the back angle, the more they travel forward), stance (wider stance means less forward knees - check out a powerlifter's squat with a super ultra wide sumo stance: his shins will be pretty much vertical) and individual anthropometry (the longer the legs with respect to the torso, the more they'll travel forward).
good explanation.

I really need to get a squat video of my own on here. I feel like I have good form but I don't know what type of squats I'm even doing. I've always been told that knees past the toes is terrible on the patellar tendon. that's what I've been told since like 10th grade lol.

kylej

Banned
since Jan I started working out but mostly machines so tomorrow gonna venture to squats. its Sunday morning, gym should be empty :p

don't be afraid bro. 98% of people in the gym will never even attempt a squat or if they do, they do it in the smith machine. be proud.

so I was getting ready for tomorrow's workout. squats and pullups. then I started seeing pullups for crossfitting. next thing you know I'm watching videos of crossfitting.

so is crossfitting more of a cardio with some weights?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
so I was getting ready for tomorrow's workout. squats and pullups. then I started seeing pullups for crossfitting. next thing you know I'm watching videos of crossfitting.

so is crossfitting more of a cardio with some weights?
Put it this way, if your goal is to be strong and gain sizeable muscle crossfit is not the way to go.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Crossfit seems to be an experiment in finding inefficient and potentially dangerous uses for otherwise well regarded exercises.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to say the same thing, but as Noema pointed out Banglish seems to be using low-bar mechanics with a high bar position. With high bar breaking at the hips and knees at the same time or even knees first is ok, depending on the individual.

blackflag

Sweet, first day squatting in a few months because of my back. Worked myself up to 5x315. Not gonna complain since its been so long. Actually felt easier than I remember.

Squat
10 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 295
5 x 315

Leg press
12 x 630
10 x 720
10 x 720
9 x 720

Seated hamstring curl
15 x 220
13 x 230
12 x 230
11 x 230

Seated leg ext
12 x 135
12 x 180
8 x 180
10 x 180

Standing calf raise
30 x 275
22 x 275
23 x 275

Seated calf raise
23 x 180
18 x 180
25 x 135
20 x 135

Imm0rt4l

Sweet, first day squatting in a few months because of my back. Worked myself up to 5x315. Not gonna complain since its been so long. Actually felt easier than I remember.

Squat
10 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 295
5 x 315

Leg press
12 x 630
10 x 720
10 x 720
9 x 720

Seated hamstring curl
15 x 220
13 x 230
12 x 230
11 x 230

Seated leg ext
12 x 135
12 x 180
8 x 180
10 x 180

Standing calf raise
30 x 275
22 x 275
23 x 275

Seated calf raise
23 x 180
18 x 180
25 x 135
20 x 135

Respect

Banglish

squats.jpg

I see, had no idea there were 2 ways to squat! Is one optimal for a beginner doing regular SS? Or is switching up from time to time a better idea?

TWO HUNDRED DOLARES *faints*

I got these - half the price.
http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-powerlift-trainer-red-light-onix.php

He needs to get on with Dave Tate's bulking diet ASAP.

If I was American I would be down for this but, fast food is expensive in Canada and the portions are smaller. I have a mass gainer that is 1010 calories per serving, haven't started taking it though because I'm sort of confused about the instructions on the back of the tub lol.

It says to take it twice per day, once between meal 1 and meal 2, and once post-workout. I'm pushing weight 3 times a week though. So I wasn't sure whether or not to take it on the days I'm not working out either. I asked this on bb.com and I was told massgainers are used to meet macronutrient needs on any given day based on your goals and there is no special time to take them so they are treated like any other meal. Is that correct?

Also, for the squat form check, break at the hips not the knees.

Can you be a biit more specific by what you mean?

balddemon

Banned

Squat
10 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 295
5 x 315

Leg press
12 x 630
10 x 720
10 x 720
9 x 720

Seated hamstring curl
15 x 220
13 x 230
12 x 230
11 x 230

Seated leg ext
12 x 135
12 x 180
8 x 180
10 x 180

Standing calf raise
30 x 275
22 x 275
23 x 275

Seated calf raise
23 x 180
18 x 180
25 x 135
20 x 135

you got nothin on this stud
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=519099161460661&set=vb.394897053880873&type=2&theater

the actual lift starts around 1:50 but I suggest watching the whole thing as there are some funny comments and actoins.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I see, had no idea there were 2 ways to squat! Is one optimal for a beginner doing regular SS? Or is switching up from time to time a better idea?
The instructions in SS refer to the low bar squat. Most people can handle a bit more weight doing low bar but progression for a beginner comes at around the same speed. Do whatever you're most comfortable with. For example, I myself switched to high bar after running linear progression on low bar; I dropped the weight 20% or so and the lift felt more comfortable (tall, long limbs).

Can you be a biit more specific by what you mean?
You're starting your squats by bending at the knees. With the low bar squat, the movement is initiated by sitting back. This is breaking at the hips. Noema and I have posted a bit about the difference between high bar and low bar on this page and I'd suggest that even if you opt for high bar squats you should try to get your hips more involved in the initial movement.

SeanR1221

I survived, Fitgaf. After a huge amount of sushi and an an unknown amount of beer, shots and mixed drinks I feel like death. I need water, stat :p

The best part of last night were the random comments/compliments. First my friend was wearing a cheap suit jacket way too small for him and he tried to flex and rip it. Everyone was like, "have Sean wear it and try!" So yeah it started ripping at the seams Hulk style but left nasty blood blisters on my biceps :p

My one friend who I haven't seen in like 3 years immediately said "dude you got huge"

Some random girl at the the one crowded bar was trying to get out. So I wanted to go outside too so I was like here I'll push through. She grabbed my arm and said "Oh hello muscles"

When we got back to the hotel and I was in an tank top and sweat pants a couple of my friends were like "are you gonna fit in your tux your so much bigger now"
I was like..uhh you get measured for it :p

I don't want to come off as bragging to you guys, especially when a ton of you here are bigger/more cut. It was just really nice to have your progress noticed by a lot of different people when you work your ass off at it. :) I still
Say I'm too small. I can't wait to be Petrie/falling/blackflag/alien/cooter/Darth/Szu/mrtoughpants big

Oh and here's the obligatory sushi dinner picture.

441C8299-734B-4AEC-99E6-EC4C062AEA26-1815-000000D5C1A01D24_zpse8038dc2.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Glad you had a good time.

Got up at 5 this morning and threw two 8lb pork shoulders on the smoker. Plenty of protein for the week. Lol.

despire

I don't want to come off as bragging to you guys, especially when a ton of you here are bigger/more cut. It was just really nice to have your progress noticed by a lot of different people when you work your ass off at it. :) I still
Say I'm too small. I can't wait to be Petrie/falling/blackflag/alien/cooter/Darth/Szu/mrtoughpants big

Definately not. Just glad you had a good time and your hard work is paying off. Hopefully I get experience like that some day :D

Carbonox

Good shit, Sean. Feels good when others notice, eh? I even find those that joke about steroid use rather complimentary. :lol I never have the energy to tell them otherwise so I'll roll with that.

Petrie

Banned
SeanR1221 said:

One of these isn't like the others!

Glad you showed yourself a good time though. Can't obsess all the time, otherwise what's the point?

Those mental are awesome though. Will refer to you as muscles henceforth.

So it's the morning after my first carb nite. I don't feel like shit like I thought I would, but I have no way of knowing if it knocked me out of ketosis as I used my last stick yesterday. I actually feel pretty lean, maybe a little puffy from water but not at all what I was expecting.

despire

I'd like some help fixing my GF's squat form. There's a lot of problems here and we've been trying to fix them but honestly I'm not that experienced that I would know how to help her better. I know what she is doing wrong but I don't know anymore ways to cue her and fix the problems. Since she didn't want a video taken and uploaded to the internet here is a awesome illustration by me:

Aum24vb.jpg

So we are doing low bar squat as per SS. Everything is fine when she takes the barbell from the rack but it goes to shit afterwards. She has this tendency to lean forward at the bottom which causes the barbell to travel forward quite a bit. Or if not that then something causes the weight to shift forward quite a bit in the bottom and when getting up. The barbell stays in the middle of the foot at the top but the barbell makes kind of a teardrop shaped motion as is shown in the picture. This lean forward causes her balance to shift which causes her back to round somewhat. And as the weight shifts towars her toes her heel raises up from the floor. She knows what she is supposed to do in a correct squat and I've been trying to cue with "chest up" and whatnot but actually doing it is the hard part here.

As I said we've been trying to fix this for months now. She's getting extremely frustrated with the whole exercise so any help would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So it's the morning after my first carb nite. I don't feel like shit like I thought I would, but I have no way of knowing if it knocked me out of ketosis as I used my last stick yesterday. I actually feel pretty lean, maybe a little puffy from water but not at all what I was expecting.

Let me know how you feel. My first one is next Saturday. Same scenario. I expect to be extremely sick.

grumble

I'd like some help fixing my GF's squat form. There's a lot of problems here and we've been trying to fix them but honestly I'm not that experienced that I would know how to help her better. I know what she is doing wrong but I don't know anymore ways to cue her and fix the problems. Since she didn't want a video taken and uploaded to the internet here is a awesome illustration by me:

Aum24vb.jpg

So we are doing low bar squat as per SS. Everything is fine when she takes the barbell from the rack but it goes to shit afterwards. She has this tendency to lean forward at the bottom which causes the barbell to travel forward quite a bit. Or if not that then something causes the weight to shift forward quite a bit in the bottom and when getting up. The barbell stays in the middle of the foot at the top but the barbell makes kind of a teardrop shaped motion as is shown in the picture. This lean forward causes her balance to shift which causes her back to round somewhat. And as the weight shifts towars her toes her heel raises up from the floor. She knows what she is supposed to do in a correct squat but actually doing it is the hard part here.

As I said we've been trying to fix this for months now. She's getting extremely frustrated with the whole exercise so any help would be appreciated.

It's really hard to give you any practical advice without a video

What I would do is widen her stance a bit to guarantee that her femur isn't impinging on her pelvis. I'd also have her focus on keeping a hard back extension and keep her core as tight as possible. Then when she squats you need to yell cues at her so she squats properly; she might e sitting back too far. Let the knees travel until they hit her toe line or even slightly further, but not sliding forward in the hole. Get her to lift off of her heels, not her toes; a good trick is to have her raise her toes in her shoes during the squat, which prevents it until her neural system is set up properly. Also do the squat stretch before you start.

What she needs is an SS coach, check the directory and book one session if it's available. I'd also recommend that once she's tried the tricks above to convince her to post a video to rippetoe's q&a board. He is a professional and will give her useful advice enter than we ever could.

The Chef

I survived, Fitgaf. After a huge amount of sushi and an an unknown amount of beer, shots and mixed drinks I feel like death. I need water, stat :p

That a boy. Wife and I had sushi on Friday night. Blessed, forever be, the white tuna.

I asked my wife to take a picture of me and she asks "for what?"
"I want to post it on Gaf"
wife: "To see if you get props or something?"
me: "yeah, pretty much"
hahaha so ridiculous.

despire

This is going to be an issue for sure. Illustrations and explanations can't tell us even a small % of what a good video can.

Yeah I know but she wouldn't have a video taken and posted to the web. Maybe I can talk her in to it.

And SS coach would be a bit hard since we are not in the States.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

It's late here so I won't write a long post but it sounds like she is good morning-ing the weight. If you do a search for something like "fix good morning squat" there will probably be countless examples as it's one of the most common problems with low bar squats. If you can't make progress after a few more weeks you could consider switching to high bar.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This has been a lifesaver for keto - I've even fucked up and ate a whole pint, and I stay on ketosis. It's the bomb~

axrDKgC.png

I've been having countless discussion with my mate about our workout procedures and such.

I usually workout 6 days a week with a 3-day rotation. 1st day chest/triceps, 2nd day back/biceps, 3rd day shoulders, legs, abs and then one day pause.

Every 3-day rotation I do different types of exercises, for example I do chest with dumbells one day but chest on machines or barbell another day. Just to avoid getting bored that is. My pal is telling me that this isn't a good idea as my muscles isn't getting the needed stimulation from the continous exercise over several weeks and months. Or something like that...

Any comments on that ? And if you have any tips for me you're also very welcome.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been having countless discussion with my mate about our workout procedures and such.

I usually workout 6 days a week with a 3-day rotation. 1st day chest/triceps, 2nd day back/biceps, 3rd day shoulders, legs, abs and then one day pause.

Every 3-day rotation I do different types of exercises, for example I do chest with dumbells one day but chest on machines or barbell another day. Just to avoid getting bored that is. My pal is telling me that this isn't a good idea as my muscles isn't getting the needed stimulation from the continous exercise over several weeks and months. Or something like that...

Any comments on that ? And if you have any tips for me you're also very welcome.

Thanks.

My first question would be - how long have you been working out? Have you been working out long enough that your routine needs to be this demanding?

If it has been under a year it sounds like you need to reduce your number of workouts and adjust what you're doing, but it hinges on how long it's been for you.

number47

Thanks.

I say...do just legs.and move shoulder and abs to every other day alternating. but you shouldnt have to do abs anyway. if you are deadlifting (back),squating(legs),and bench press (chest) and ohp (shoulders) correctly.

CrankyJay

Banned
Meh. Don't read web md if you don't want to scare yourself. Been having sciatic symptoms in my glute/legend I'm scared I have a bulging disc.

Gonna take a few weeks off from lifting. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom