• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Got tendonitis in my left forearm it seems, basically felt like shin splints in my forearm from preacher curls... apparently very common. Holdin me back a bit. Also losing a ton of weight through my diet, just nervous about losing muscle.

Go to a massage therapist and get a DT massage on your forearms, then get some elbow sleeves.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anothe question... really switched from 5 minute rests between sets to 2-3 minutes. Quite a drop off in overall numbers. What is the general consensus on rest periods?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anothe question... really switched from 5 minute rests between sets to 2-3 minutes. Quite a drop off in overall numbers. What is the general consensus on rest periods?

IMO take as much time as you need to get the most out of your sets.

That said, if you're trying to do circuit training, you should keep them to a minimum.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
IMO take as much time as you need to get the most out of your sets.

That said, if you're trying to do circuit training, you should keep them to a minimum.

Well I'm down to 2:30 between sets, before I was taking 5. Toward the end of my sets I'm absolutely beat, but I read resting too long can really limit your gains.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gym is damn near empty again, feels good man.

Well I'm down to 2:30 between sets, before I was taking 5. Toward the end of my sets I'm absolutely beat, but I read resting too long can really limit your gains.

I rest a lot, never had a problem with gains. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

The only thing I'm cautious of with resting too long is letting my muscles, tendons, etc "cooling down" and risking injury.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gym is damn near empty again, feels good man.

I rest a lot, never had a problem with gains. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

The only thing I'm cautious of with resting too long is letting my muscles, tendons, etc "cooling down" and risking injury.

I just let my rest period go back to the old one and my numbers have spiked back to just below normal (1 or 2 reps) for this particular exercise. I'll stick with this for now I guess. Just stressed out, I'm on a pretty limiting diet at the moment, trying to cut up now after the initial gains while not losing strength. Lost a ton of weight so far.

8byte

Banned
I've been having 2 slices of turkey bacon 3 times a week for breakfast with egg whites. Any reason I should avoid turkey bacon?

Mully

I've been having 2 slices of turkey bacon 3 times a week for breakfast with egg whites. Any reason I should avoid turkey bacon?

You'll die from real-bacon-dysmorphia. If you continue eating turkey bacon, you'll never be able to satiate your bacon appetite; even if you do eat real bacon again. You'll constantly look in the mirror as you gaze upon heaps of real bacon and think it's one burnt strip of turkey bacon. You'll rapidly lose weight and then die of not getting enough bacon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just let my rest period go back to the old one and my numbers have spiked back to just below normal (1 or 2 reps) for this particular exercise. I'll stick with this for now I guess. Just stressed out, I'm on a pretty limiting diet at the moment, trying to cut up now after the initial gains while not losing strength. Lost a ton of weight so far.

I dialed my shit WAY back and I'm ok with it. Sometimes you gotta step back a bit to make the jump. This isn't about instant gratification, it's about a lifestyle and progressive goals.

Edit: misread this (tired) thought we were still talking about reseting, lol.

If I start the "novice routine" as outlined in the OP how long should I stay on it before moving on to a more advanced routine?

Forever.

(If you have to ask, you're not ready).

You should eat real bacon and you should be adding in all the yolks to your eggs.

SeanR1221

Cut officially started. Went for a mile run this morning (if its that cold again I'm hitting the treadmill at the gym so I can go longer) and planned my day out for 500 less calories. Lets do this!

CrankyJay

Banned
Cut officially started. Went for a mile run this morning (if its that cold again I'm hitting the treadmill at the gym so I can go longer) and planned my day out for 500 less calories. Lets do this!

I'll probably get funny looks, but I decided to cut out cardio from my cut...I want to do this solely by lifting and diet. I understand I'll probably need to add it in at some point to tighten up a little more.

I also stopped counting calories for the time being...just eating cleanly when I'm hungry.

So far it got me off my plateau and I'm down another 4 pounds.

SeanR1221

I'll probably get funny looks, but I decided to cut out cardio from my cut...I want to do this solely by lifting and diet. I understand I'll probably need to add it in at some point to tighten up a little more.

I also stopped counting calories for the time being...just eating cleanly when I'm hungry.

Hey whatever works :). I'm not gonna do heavy cardio, just some light running or brisk walking every day.

Petrie

Banned

My entire cut has been with very little cardio thus far. Admittedly I'm on my feet at work for 5-10 hours 5 days a week if that counts, but no dedicated cardio.

Probably add some when it gets nicer though.

Cagey

Banned
To hell with cardio.

Five days a week, the pedometer function on my iPod racks up 6000 steps from when I leave for work until I return home. Perks of living in a city. Good enough for me.

SeanR1221

My entire cut has been with very little cardio thus far. Admittedly I'm on my feet at work for 5-10 hours 5 days a week if that counts, but no dedicated cardio.

Probably add some when it gets nicer though.

To hell with cardio.

Five days a week, the pedometer function on my iPod racks up 6000 steps from when I leave for work until I return home. Perks of living in a city. Good enough for me.

Yeahhhh I pretty much sit on my ass all day at work. Come home, workout, then sit on my ass playing call of duty ;)

Petrie

Banned
To hell with cardio.

I should measure my steps at work sometime. Wonder how far I walk on a double. I give myself an extra 120 calories an hour or so when I estimate.

Nice price, but I'm super stocked from that deal last year from Puritan's Pride. Bought 6 containers and I think I'm still only on the second. Should last me through 2013.

Cagey

Banned
Yeahhhh I pretty much sit on my ass all day at work. Come home, workout, then sit on my ass playing call of duty ;)

Hah, trust me it's solely a function of city living. I'm at a desk all day, and once I'm home, I'm sitting my ass down. But if I need to go to the store, I have to walk. When I go to lunch, I walk a decent amount to my desired locations (just to get out of the office). Walk to the subway, walk out of the subway, up and down stairs, etc.

It definitely adds up, as the numbers suggest.

SeanR1221

Hah, trust me it's solely a function of city living. I'm at a desk all day, and once I'm home, I'm sitting my ass down. But if I need to go to the store, I have to walk. When I go to lunch, I walk a decent amount to my desired locations (just to get out of the office). Walk to the subway, walk out of the subway, up and down stairs, etc.

It definitely adds up, as the numbers suggest.

Yeah I remember grad school in Philadelphia. Walk from the train to the lab. Walk from the lab to the other lab. Walk to lunch. Walk to class. Walk back to the lab. Walk back to the train. So many blisters on those hot sweaty days.

If I start the "novice routine" as outlined in the OP how long should I stay on it before moving on to a more advanced routine?

Novice routine can be followed forever as Alienshogun suggested.
Essentially, you just lift more as you #swole up.

Then of course you might hit a wall, or two, and might want to look into other routines designed for the 10% - but that is probably years away.

andycapps

Good to hear you are making progress and maybe I am being a dick here but whatever, I am going to say it anyway. IIRC, you are in the beginning stages of SS (you are a rank novice), and when you are beginning such a program you are not "setting PRs". This is the kind of bullshit my local crossfit affiliate would talk about all the time, even for rank novice lifters that literally just started doing Crossfit and just learned the major Olympic lifts. At this point in the program, you should not be remotely concerned with setting a PR. On the contrary, you should be concerned with making steady, linear, upward progress. Your goal is to get stronger and get stronger with nearly perfect form. The weight is NOT heavy right now and you should NOT be stalling at 160lbs. If you are stalling at 160lbs, then you are not doing the program. You can worry about "setting PRs" when you get out of the Novice phase, and that won't be for a very long time.

Setting PR's might be a bad way of saying that I'm doing working sets higher than I've done, at this point. Really, all I'm concerned about is what you stated about steady, linear progress. At this point, I'm still making progress on everything. Bench and OHP have gotten very difficult for me, and I think I need some smaller increments for those. Squat and deadlift I have tons of room to move in before I hit a stall. Deadlift I can probably go up 100 more pounds. Squat, I have no clue, probably about the same.

I'm still definitely in the novice phase, about a month into the program.

balddemon

Banned
If it can be trained, train it. (Train what can be trained)

Also, get better soon stud.

that's basically what my line of thinking is. I've 7 hours a day where I'm on the only one home, and I don't want to spend those 7 hours playing video games lol.

thanks, should be walking without crutches next week hopefully.

Yeah screw cardio. I sit on my ass pretty much the entire time outside of the gym, but I find that I get better results without the cardio. Don't know why. Maybe it pushes me into overtraining territory. But I cut it out completely

Imm0rt4l

I do as little cardio as possible on my current cut. Will incorporate more when I hit a wall and feel my metabolism has adapted to current training and diet.

JB1981

Setting PR's might be a bad way of saying that I'm doing working sets higher than I've done, at this point. Really, all I'm concerned about is what you stated about steady, linear progress. At this point, I'm still making progress on everything. Bench and OHP have gotten very difficult for me, and I think I need some smaller increments for those. Squat and deadlift I have tons of room to move in before I hit a stall. Deadlift I can probably go up 100 more pounds. Squat, I have no clue, probably about the same.

I'm still definitely in the novice phase, about a month into the program.

I was being a dick. I apologize.

balddemon

Banned
technically every day except deload days in starting strength should be a pr day, since you're increasing the weight each time. and if you're doing starting strength then you're probably a novice who has never lifted before, so a squat of 135, 225, 315, whatever, would be a pr.

andycapps

I was being a dick. I apologize.

It's all good, man. I was probably repeating some dudebro lingo that's more associated with Crossfit than a respectable workout regimen. Gist was that I'm happy with my progress thus far and love the process of getting stronger every time. Feels good.

Szu

I started my cut on Tuesday. I'm already down about 3 lbs, just because of the smaller amounts of food. Noticeable change should start by next week.

I still do cardio, but I keep it very light, trying to keep my heartrate at around 120-130 bpm.

I also decided to add some intense conditioning to burn myself out.

On another note, I went back to the gym with my wife. I guess the only con to working out with her right now is that she lacks the stamina and experience to work out by herself. So, she has to tag along with me. This kinda works out for my cut since I'm reducing some of my weight lifts.

However, I'm encouraging her the whole way and I expect her to gain enough confidence to work out solo. Eventually, we'll still go to the gym together, but we'll probably split up during workouts.

My wife almost had a Planet Fitness moment. She told after the workout she feels disappointed that there are some many fit women at the gym, but she's not fit. I reminded her that they're there to stay fit and that she's there to get fit. She felt better after that comment. ;)

Szu

I get additional exercise by lifting and carrying about my 15lb. daughter...she likes to be held and walked around the house. lol

That's cool.

Even more reason for me to become a father. If I can get twins, then could work out both arms at the same time.

Go_Ly_Dow

grrr, always come down with a fucking virus when i start seeing some real progress :(

this time i won't let it beat me. gonna eat and sleep well until it passes.

Ekdrm2d1

Had a great personal trainer session last night. She told I indeed have pec muscles and she could see them.

Does anybody have any feedback regarding the Braun CruZer lines of products?
Not sure if I need the Body line or the Head/Beard line of products. This is a factor in Shave vs. Trim I think. The Body line features a trimming of 0.6mm, 3mm, 8mm and then a complete shave via a Gillette Fusion blade. The Head/Beard line features a beard comb of 1-11mm and a head comb of 10-20mm.

Not sure what would give me the best option to display my pecs. I don't necessarily want a shaven chest but if I have to I will. Maybe it's just a personal preference? Both products are sort of expensive at $40 - $50 so I want to make the right choice :p

Here's an ad for the Body line, it's complete shaven.
tumblr_lhwzj17ilG1qg5saxo1_500.jpg

Edit: My picture is on page 18,19, or 20.

SeanR1221

Anyone know if this is good? I'd been thinking of supplements for a while, but up until now it's been all protein shakes and diet. Also, how long would this last?

That's half a years worth. You take 5g a day, every day (don't do a loading phase).

And yes, that's a good brand. Don't expect miracles but it can help you get that extra rep in. Be sure to drink lots of water, which you should be doing anyway.

Noema

You should do it until you exhaust your novice gains; ie, until you can't keep adding weight to the bar and you need to switch to an intermediate program in which the progression doesn't take place from workout to workout but, rather, on a weekly (Texas Method) or monthly (5/3/1) basis.

The standard procedure is that you should have at least three resets on a lift before moving that lift to an intermediate program. Assuming you are eating / sleeping right, this should take anywhere from 4 to 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom