• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I have a huge problem growing my calves so I have to put in extra work. I'm doing the 50 calve raises a day routine and I feel like things are better.

I get the idea that people see your calves first when wearing shorts but that is why you wear shorter shorts.

Quads, glutes, and hammys all day.

Mayyhem

I guess I'm biased because my calves seem to build themselves proportionately to the rest of my legs without having to isolate them often if at all...but i don't know, the way he said it just sounded stupid to me.

Skeyser

He says that when your wearing shorts people will notice your calves first. He even said: "Out of the whole leg, calves is what you shouldn't skip" lol

Please help me discredit this man.

What's wrong with this statement? If you're going for aesthetics, it's true that people will notice the calves more if the thighs are hidden by your shorts.

For me, I have a huge problem growing my calves so I have to put in extra work. I'm doing the 50 calve raises a day routine and I feel like things are better.

I get the idea that people see your calves first when wearing shorts but that is why you wear shorter shorts.

I started training for a marathon coming up this spring and its sooo depressing how much muscle size your legs lose. Like walking around with pool cues.

Mayyhem

What's wrong with this statement? If you're going for aesthetics, it's true that people will notice the calves more if the thighs are hidden by your shorts.

Seems like a good excuse to neglect your quads, glutes, and hamstrings. I guess if you wear shorts that go down past your knees you can just isolate calves on leg day and go home.

Cagey

Banned

Got a link?

I mean, I'm sure the link says "5x10 Calf Raises", just curious to read. My calves (as seen here) are a god damn joke, and it annoys me.

Mayyhem

Wasn't your friend telling you not to neglect anything?

His main argument was that if I want to show off my legs I should focus more on my calves. He argues that doing shit like calve raises is what I should put most of my attention into on leg day because people see your calves only most of the time. And because I tend to like to focus on my quads, hams, glutes more that I'll in fact look like "I don't hit legs"

CrankyJay

Banned
I do calve excercises because I figure if I can add muscle somewhere, then by god I want to do it so I can burn more calories...even if I gain enough to burn me an extra calorie a day, fuck it. Do it.

Noema

He probably doesn't actually do deadlifts because he doesn't want to "get big."

eLkzLmZ.jpg

Do you not stimulate your calves doing other leg exercises? Or are calve raises really that important?

It is just another isolation movement. Only you can really tell if you are getting enough growth in the calves department. For me, I know that my legs exploded in the thighs/quads/hammy/glutes but my calves have not. So that means I need to do more isolation exercises for my calves.

Same with my biceps and traps. They have gotten bigger but not on par with my tris or the rest of my upper body. Need to hit those more.

Eidan

Yeah, I hate my calves, and I'm doing the exact same routine you are.

PBY

Banned
It is just another isolation movement. Only you can really tell if you are getting enough growth in the calves department. For me, I know that my legs exploded in the thighs/quads/hammy/glutes but my calves have not. So that means I need to do more isolation exercises for my calves.

Same with my biceps and traps. They have gotten bigger but not on par with my tris or the rest of my upper body. Need to hit those more.
Cosign all of this.

Noema

Speaking of calves, last night I had a cramp so intense on my right calf that it woke me up and I almost screamed in pain. It felt like someone had stuck a knife in my calf and slowly turned it around.

It still feels sore.

CrankyJay

Banned
Speaking of calves, last night I had a cramp so intense on my right calf that it woke me up and I almost screamed in pain. It felt like someone had stuck a knife in my calf and slowly turned it around.

It still feels sore.

dehydrated by any chance?

sphinx

the piano man
do you guys mean you see absolutely no change in your calves through out the months?

or are they defined but you want them bigger?

mine have gotten stronger and more defined but not bigger. I do get to see the "peach" or "heart" form when I flex, That wasn't there beofre starting to workout so that's something I guess.

I also do isolated calf work regardless, they absolutely refuse to grow.

Like in fallingedge's case, my upper legs has been a lot more cooperative.

PBY

Banned
do you guys mean you see absolutely no change in your calves through out the months?

or are they defined but you want them bigger?

mine have gotten stronger and more defined but not bigger. I do get to see the "peach" or "heart" form when I flex, That wasn't there beofre starting to workout so that's something I guess.

I also do isolated calf work regardless, they absolutely refuse to grow.

Like in fallingedge's case, my upper legs has been a lot more cooperative.
U do cardio?

Veezy

que?
How much time should one take after every set of SS?

If you plow through a set quickly with little struggle, maybe a minute or so.
If it takes you extreme effort to move the bar, 3-5 minutes for upper body movements, 5-7 for lower body movements.

lol, my boss is bro-sciencing me now...

"can't eat before bed...and it can't be fats"

"gotta eat 6 meals a day"

Six meals per day is in the paperwork we hand out to new clients. As is only work out for thirty minutes, pitching muscle confusion, and that people have to constantly change their programming and do single day isolation movements to continue to grow.

Infuriating.

If you plow through a set quickly with little struggle, maybe a minute or so.
If it takes you extreme effort to move the bar, 3-5 minutes for upper body movements, 5-7 for lower body movements.

Six meals per day is in the paperwork we hand out to new clients. As is only work out for thirty minutes, pitching muscle confusion, and that people have to constantly change their programming and do single day isolation movements to continue to grow.

Infuriating.

You're in brohell.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well that was interesting.

So I changed my Facebook profile picture to that deadlift picture of myself I showed you guys.

First comment was from a guy in school to be a personal trainer who just said "Keep those toes straight ahead."

Well my lifting buddy texts me and asks can he be a dick, and I said sure why not.

What results is a 25 comment argument of the first guy saying your toes have to be straight ahead and my lifting buddy posting multiple videos and sources showing you can have your toes pointed out.

It all ends with someone else calling them both tools, and my close friends all "like" that comment.

FACEBOOK

Toes out 4 life. "In school to be a trainer" guy can shove it up his ass unless he's pulling 500+

sphinx

the piano man
What kind/how much/when?

my goal is to go 3 days a week to the gym. The first thing I do there is run on the treadmill for 8 minutes at an easy pace, 6~7 mph, I don't count that as cardio, I just want to sweat a bit before working out.

2 other days of the week, I go the the park and run to one end of it, takes me 18 minutes and I am running at a speed of 7.7~8 mph. Then once there, I do bodyweight exercises, mostly for abs, leg raises and such, and then I run back to the starting point, again another 18 minutes.

That's it.

I must say, All guys running in the park have great legs, they've got the calves, somehow.

In the gym, guys have nice arms, chests, whatever, but damn, their legs look miserable...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So calves huh? Screw them! I spent about 5 months hitting them hard and got zero growth! My philosophy is if I can squat over 2x my body weight I'm not touching them with iso exercises. Yeah, they are thin and it bothers me not one bit. If someone tries to make fun of them my comeback is, "well, they are strong enough to squat x amount. What can yours put up?"

Veezy

que?
So calves huh? Screw them! I spent about 5 months hitting them hard and got zero growth! My philosophy is if I can squat over 2x my body weight I'm not touching them with iso exercises. Yeah, they are thin and it bothers me not one bit. If someone tries to make fun of them my comeback is, "well, they are strong enough to squat x amount. What can yours put up?"

There's always the option of not associating with people who are concerned with how my calves look versus how their everything looks.

That my solution. Works well. Although I'm a bit of an ass hole.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh, I don't Veezy. Every once in a while you get the insecure asshat that tries to find one body part which "looks better" than yours and poke fun at it. It doesn't happen very often.

sphinx

the piano man
we've got to be doing something wrong with calves,

It makes absolutely no sense to think calves are special and that they just don't react to proper stimulation, like the rest of the body.

Maybe we have been targeting calves the wrong way, with the wrong approach, maybe that calf machine is just not enough or not even efficient, at all. I have no idea, I just think that there HAS to be a way to build up any part of the body properly and efficiently, anything else makes no sense and goes against the law of nature.

Oh, I don't Veezy. Every once in a while you get the insecure asshat that tries to find one body part which "looks better" than yours and poke fun at it. It doesn't happen very often.

I just agree with them and smile. My chest and calves are the areas which can mostly be targeted and only much bigger people than me have better traps or back though.

Calves are really a nightmare muscle for me as well. The only time they seem to grow is when I am doing a lot of running but the caveat is my calves grow and my quads shrink. Kind of sucky.

It makes absolutely no sense to think calves are special and that they just don't react to proper stimulation, like the rest of the body.

Maybe we have been targeting calves the wrong way, with the wrong approach, maybe that calf machine is just not enough or not even efficient, at all. I have no idea, I just think that there HAS to be a way to build up any part of the body properly and efficiently, anything else makes no sense and goes against the law of nature.

Even Arnolds book talks about Calves being one of the more common weak point muscles in training. His solution which is still for any group lagging behind is to isolation and repetition.

I've never really had a problem with my calves, fortunately.

You lucky bastard.

blackflag

Freaking old guys at my gym trip me out man. 70 and 80 year olds. They always wear dress jeans and either a full button up dress shirt or a tucked in polo.

Gym wear? not even once.

Veezy

que?

It's really not a mystery.

The calves' primary function is helping push your entire body weight up and down while walking or running. Throughout the day. Everyday. They really are big stabilizer muscles (that phrase just made me puke a little in my mouth).

It's why fat people who strength train and lose weight, generally, have amazing calves. As they get more and more plump, their calves get more and more of a work out. Then, when they lose all that weight, they still have bigger calves after years of training due to their years of just being fat.

It's not magic. It's saying to yourself "this muscle looking bigger is important enough to me to put 100s of reps into it each week." If you don't care, don't worry about. I'm about 100% sure there's never been a situation where a job or sex was on the table and "no" was the response to the proposition for either due to your calves' circumference.

Except, possibly, bodybuilding shorts model. You need calves for that. In that case, though, find a better 'roid dealer if your lacking in any muscular department.

EDIT: Also, genetics. I really think it's one of the few muscles, like the legendary eight pack, that you just need solid genetics to get freaky looking.

Freaking old guys at my gym trip me out man. 70 and 80 year olds. They always wear dress jeans and either a full button up dress shirt or a tucked in polo.

Gym wear? not even once.

Thats a little different. I have a lot of old guys at my gym but they seem to favor the spandex bike short, or dark blue sweat pant.

I've always wondered what the difference is between Frosted Toast Crunch and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Powdered sugar as opposed to cinnamon is my guess. Whatever it is, it is delicious.

And to the guys that have monstrous calves, mind telling the measurements? I want to say mine are at 16 inches but I don't recall.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm not going to be paying $19.99/month for whatever anecdotes or wisdom he has left. He's taught me all he has to teach, and for that I am thankful. And I've already bought two of his books as a sign of my gratitude. That's enough.

Yeah, that monthly rate is pretty stupid. Not sure what he's thinking. It would have to come with pretty significant bonuses which I'm sure it doesn't.

I'll check out the free portions of the site though.

Hit a snatch PR today. 85kg. No video but I did not contain my excitement very well. Definitely scared a few girls at the gym.

Good job man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom