• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean by this?

Example) Get stuck at 300? Drop the weight back down to 250 and work your way back up. If everything goes well, you'll blast through 300 the next time you get there.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think I'm prepared to update my top 5 quest bar list since the release of the new flavor. I know everyone is dying to know! lol

#1-Chocolate chip cookie dough
#2-PB Supreme
#3-White chocolate raspberry
#4-PB&J
#5-Apple pie

Without having tried the white chocolate yet I can already say with high confidence that this list is factually and universally correct.

Also, Lemon Pie is the absolute worst Quest bar made by man.

Cudder

I think I'm prepared to update my top 5 quest bar list since the release of the new flavor. I know everyone is dying to know! lol

#2-PB Supreme
#4-PB&J
#5-Apple pie

You put the White Chocolate Raspberry in the microwave yet? The chocolate chunks melt and hnnnngg

blackflag

#2-PB Supreme
#4-PB&J
#5-Apple pie

That's a good list. I put white chocolate at number 1 now. I liked them so much I ate 16 in 2 days. Only lost a pound that week so I'm trying to stay away until cut is done.

WorldStar

Banned
I forgot to mention that. I am eating a whole foods/ paleo style diet. Ive been doing it for about 6 months and love it. No garbage processed foods and I drink only water! So I got the diet part down pat :)

For me diet is the hardest part of becoming a swole brah

If you have diet in check you should start seeing dat der noobie gains pretty fast

NomarTyme

I forgot to mention that. I am eating a whole foods/ paleo style diet. Ive been doing it for about 6 months and love it. No garbage processed foods and I drink only water! So I got the diet part down pat :)

Better up your carbs too if you planning to lift a lot. I believe you already though about awesomeness of sweet potatoes/ yams.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Why? I personally love carbs so I refuse to cut them out, but I'm pretty sure you can get all the energy you need from fats with only consuming minimal carbs.

Low carb can mess up your thyroid big time when lifting and cutting, depends on your individual thyroid balance. Happened to me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Without having tried the white chocolate yet I can already say with high confidence that this list is factually and universally correct.

Also, Lemon Pie is the absolute worst Quest bar made by man.
Thank you. My wife thinks I have serious issues (which I don't deny) for putting so much thought and consideration into a top 5 list. Haha!

WorldStar

Banned
Low carb can mess up your thyroid big time when lifting and cutting, depends on your individual thyroid balance. Happened to me.

I see. I have lots of friends who swear by keto and have had amazing results while on that diet. I guess their thyroid balance is a-okay.

Also I don't think the person he was responding to is cutting. He is only 140 lbs at 5'10.

Like I said I love carbs so I refuse to cut them out. I also do a shit ton of cardio and find that carbs are great for energy when I'm doing long durations of cardio. But there is a significant community of bodybuilders who are on the keto diet.

I'm still toast from Friday's workout. Head feels heavy. I will switch deadlifting heavy Wednesday only and squating heavy Monday and Friday

NomarTyme

I see. I have lots of friends who swear by keto and have had amazing results while on that diet. I guess their thyroid balance is a-okay.

Also I don't think the person he was responding to is cutting. He is only 140 lbs at 5'10.

Like I said I love carbs so I refuse to cut them out. I also do a shit ton of cardio and find that carbs are great for energy when I'm doing long durations of cardio. But there is a significant community of bodybuilders who are on the keto diet.
Bodybuilders are bodybuilders, so if you want to gain strength and keep up with your activities then I would up the carbs.
Here read what Robb Wolf have to say about Athletic performance and low carb.

Bodybuilders are bodybuilders, so if you want to gain strength and keep up with your activities then I would up the carbs.
Here read what Robb Wolf have to say about Athletic performance and low carb.

hat’s a round-about way of saying I “think” I know my stuff reasonably well. I have personally tinkered with a ketogenic approach, cyclic ketogenic, basic low-carb etc. As I mentioned in part 1, I found all of these options to be more or less up to the task of fueling some weight training, gymnastics and a bit of sprinting. But I have not found them up to snuff when we add in significant glycolytic based work like CrossFit, MMA, Brazilian jiu-jitsu etc.

:p

If you're doing marathons or more intense workouts, then of course you should be eating more carbs.

Thrakier

So I got a thyroid subfunction and I have to take 150 throxyin every day. I'm training since late 2009 now and I barely have success. Granted that I'm just not the athletic type, I'm sknnyfat through and through. I went from about 67kg with 22 to 25 bodyfat to about 77 kg with bodyfat around 15 to 17 I'd guess. Arms are still thin though, massive weakpoint. I have low testosterone as well. Is this connected to my subfunction? I had low Vitamin D3 as well and relatively low Iron but my doc doesn't want to give me any iron cause he says it's still ok.

EDIT:

I also suffer from a light form of socoliosis which makes working out harder and well, it looks like shit. Breasts are different, lower back is a massive difference...you get it.

NomarTyme

If you're doing marathons or more intense workouts, then of course you should be eating more carbs.

I'm pointing out specially to Paleo people because being paleo myself I thought fat was enought to fuel my workouts. Robb Wolf was a in the Low Carb camp, so thinking fat was enough but later on finding through trial and error that his way of thinking was wrong.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Yeah, it's highly individual and there is little way finding out other than experimenting and tracking your macros.

My experience is that I lost on a consistent rate for 6 months at around 2000kcal / day. Then I went on ultra low carb (30-40g) with same calories, and one carb nite a week to refeed (400-500g). Result?

- Complete weight stall for 6 weeks after the initial water loss
- Body temperature dropped from 36.7C to 36.2C
- Significantly lower sex drive
- More hair on my hands when brushing hand through hair
- Very hard to take a dump
- Freezing in my hands

Mind you, I felt pretty good when doing it and not depressed at the very least, it was in fact an easy and pleasing way to eat and I figured out tons of good keto foods I liked. Also my lifts were going up still gradually.

This week after having a complete physical, and facing the evidence above, I decided that my body can't take low carb while lifting and it's counter productive to my fat loss.

That was a bit long winded, but my point is that it's worth being careful when low carbing because everyone is different, and keeping an eye out on thyroid symptoms.

sphinx

the piano man
mmhh..... I confirmed mu suspicions, today I took my phone to the squat rack to record my 5x3, 90kgs high bar squats from behind and they aren't good enough.

last time when I did it, It honestly felt like I was going below or at least parallel... but nope, half of those 15 reps aren't even parallel. sad, because I always took pride on my ass almost kissing the floor :-(

How should I proceed in this case? common sense tells me to stay on 90 kgs, man up and get a decent ROM before attemtping 92.5 kgs but from what I've read here, I should add weight to the bar and "officially" fail.

if half of those reps are half reps, then I officially failed and should stay on that weight, right?

Noema

mmhh..... I confirmed mu suspicions, today I took my phone to the squat rack to record my 5x3, 90kgs high bar squats from behind and they aren't good enough.

last time when I did it, It honestly felt like I was going below or at least parallel... but nope, half of those 15 reps aren't even parallel. sad, because I always took pride on my ass almost kissing the floor :-(

How should I proceed in this case? common sense tells me to stay on 90 kgs, man up and get a decent ROM before attemtping 92.5 kgs but from what I've read here, I should add weight to the bar and "officially" fail.

if half of those reps are half reps, then I officially failed and should stay on that weight, right?

If it had only been one or two reps out of 15 it's not such a big deal. If half of them were high, then I would definitely repeat the weight making sure you go deep on every rep this time.

Chittagong

Gold Member

if you are a long dude like me then yeah parallel feels pretty much like ATG. I would take off a reasonable amount of weight and build from super deep again. I actually plan doing so next week myself.

sphinx

the piano man
If it had only been one or two reps out of 15 it's not such a big deal. If half of them were high, then I would definitely repeat the weight making sure you go deep on every rep this time.

yeah, thought as much.

The thing is that I only recorded the last set, which is what I am using as reference. I am obviously more exhausted in it than in the previous two sets so maybe those were better....maybe it wasn't as bad, I will never know.... but the feeling of my body was the same across all three sets so I better perfect that.

if you are a long dude like me then yeah parallel feels pretty much like ATG. I would take off a reasonable amount of weight and build from super deep again. I actually plan doing so next week myself.

the way I see it is, that's what warm up sets are there for, to make sure form is perfect, get the feeling of the body and check stuff you may forget, I always forget to feel (engage is a better word?) my core, in lower weights it isn't that relevant but for PRs it makes a difference. Brreathing is also something you HAVE to do well while squatting heavy, you do not want to get dizzy wile carrying all that weight on your back.

warm-up sets today were 50 kgs and 70 kgs all of them ATG 10 reps, I weight 68.5 kgs.

I have to improve on those 90kgs but I like to think I am a rather competent squatter, somehow my traps have grown in strenght and size and the bar fully loaded feels good on them, it used to burn months ago but that's gone and to do pistol squats was the absolute BEST thing I could have done in preparation for my barbell squat back when I started. it's a hard move that requires balance and strength but it's the best assistance you can do to improve leg strength.

all my other MC are pretty mediocre, whereas my squat is actually decent.

NomarTyme

IMO it's a bunch of BS. You can do strength training on Keto. I did for at least a year.

But I would use it as a last resort if you can't seem to drop weight any other way.
It not BS, but I do agree to each to their own. Everybody is different and I understand that.

Cooter

I went in and did some DLs today. Place was dead so it was a good time to practice. First time in about a year everything feels good. Started very light.

5x135
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x225
5x275

Also messed around with somw 135lb cleans. They were super easy obviously but I can see how fun they'd be loading the bar up!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cooter, you hadn't done DLs for a year? Any reason why (assuming I'm not misunderstanding).

mr stroke

I have been going Keto/LoCarb(with cheat meals on the weekends) while doing Crossfit for the last couple years with no issues. Hasn't effected my strength or energy performance.

Cooter

Cooter, you hadn't done DLs for a year? Any reason why (assuming I'm not misunderstanding).
No you're not misunderstanding. It's been about a year. A few reasons but the main one is because I kept hurting myself. My gym wouldn't allow the weights to hit the ground so my downward movement was really hard on my lower back. Also the weights they had weren't round so that sucked too. Now they have bumper weights and dedicated DL area! I'm good to go!

blackflag

Almost there. Less than 10 lbs to go. Not sure ill quite be at 10% or not though. We'll see.

tuAfoDsl.jpg

SeanR1221

but are those 8 pounds gainz or just shit&water? that's the big question :-D

Definitely shit and water since I was at the beach. The damage was

- quesarito
- all you can eat crab, shrimp, hush puppies and fried chicken
- bagel breakfast sandwiches today and yesterday
- lunch meat sandwich
- lots of pizza
- buffalo chicken dip
- endless chips, brownies and alcohol.

Lots and lots and lots of alcohol.

If I ever wanted to fulk I could do it with ease.

Yes some people can't handle Keto very well but it's usually, not always, people that didn't follow directions and aren't getting nearly enough fat.

Or the other side of the coin, you can adjust to the diet and start to eat too much fat, to the point you stop losing weight.

I've had excellent results from keto and excellent results from a standard diet . All that matters is to get enough protein, be in a caloric deficit, and keep the weight on the bar (drop volume, not intensity).

Thrakier

So I got a thyroid subfunction and I have to take 150 throxyin every day. I'm training since late 2009 now and I barely have success. Granted that I'm just not the athletic type, I'm sknnyfat through and through. I went from about 67kg with 22 to 25 bodyfat to about 77 kg with bodyfat around 15 to 17 I'd guess. Arms are still thin though, massive weakpoint. I have low testosterone as well. Is this connected to my subfunction? I had low Vitamin D3 as well and relatively low Iron but my doc doesn't want to give me any iron cause he says it's still ok.

EDIT:

I also suffer from a light form of socoliosis which makes working out harder and well, it looks like shit. Breasts are different, lower back is a massive difference...you get it.

So...any1?

blackflag

woooooww! FINALLY a FIT-gaffer wearing a compression style shirt!!

*brofist

wear it with pride, show 'em those delts

Never wore one. We'll see how it feels in the gym tomorrow. I like it so far. They had many colors, captain America, iron man, and Batman too

A lot of diets I read always talk to you about "well, it's not lowering the calories, it's the insulin:glucagon ratio is screwed up and ya gotta fix, or cut carbs and go high fat/protein, or cut fat to lose fat and bunch up on carbs, etc. Ketogenic diets have people eating about 1700 calories a day. But it’s not the caloric restriction causing the weight loss, of course, no it’s the magic protein:carb ratio. And I think there's where some people fuck up, they hear "low carbs, high fat/protein" and they eat lots of big calorie-dense, high fat foods because hey, I'm under that daily carb count and I'm getting a lot of protein, right

It keeps coming down to expending more calories than you're putting in your mouth, and getting an adequate amount of dietary protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom