• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Man, Blackflag, you're a beast upper body wise. Crazy delts.

Thanks man, I gotta focus on legs.

My leg day is

Squats
Leg press
Hamstring curl
Leg ext

And on a different day I do calves.

They just don't grow that well. I think I'm gonna hit them 2x a week when I do my next bulk.

Not sure what else to do.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Changed my mind slightly. Did some sprints, the kind where I run a few yards and touch down, run back to the start, run double the length of the first leg and touch down, run back to start, and then finally double that length and touch down, return back.

Did it about 6 times, though by the 3rd I was breathing heavily, heart pounding and sweating as fuck between runs.

God I am out of shape. I'm so sorry about my whining, I know my weight problems are of my own creation and it's really up to me to take control of my weight. I've just been venting, and for that I apologize.

Is it okay for me to occasionally post here in the future if I do manage to make some progress?

Almost your entire diet is candy and sugar. Cook more real food, quit eating stuff from a wrapper.

You're right. I'm eating terribly and I've no one to blame but myself. I'll change my diet. No no, I must.

Changed my mind slightly. Did some sprints, the kind where I run a few yards and touch down, run back to the start, run double the length of the first leg and touch down, run back to start, and then finally double that length and touch down, return back.

Did it about 6 times, though by the 3rd I was breathing heavily, heart pounding and sweating as fuck between runs.

God I am out of shape. I'm so sorry about my whining, I know my weight problems are of my own creation and it's really up to me to take control of my weight. I've just been venting, and for that I apologize.

Is it okay for me to occasionally post here in the future if I do manage to make some progress?

You're right. I'm eating terribly and I've no one to blame but myself. I'll change my diet. No no, I must.

Never hesitate to post. Venting is perfectly fine, everyone needs to do it sometimes.

Cut the candy and switch from a frozen meal to fresh food if at all possible.

I'd also recommend some oatmeal instead of the bagel in the morning. Make sure you don't get a super sugary kind if you get instant.

Also consider a little strength training. Can do wonders for cutting body fat if you''re out of shape.

RurouniZel

Never hesitate to post. Venting is perfectly fine, everyone needs to do it sometimes.

Cut the candy and switch from a frozen meal to fresh food if at all possible.

I'd also recommend some oatmeal instead of the bagel in the morning. Make sure you don't get a super sugary kind if you get instant.

Also consider a little strength training. Can do wonders for cutting body fat if you''re out of shape.

Yeah, I can't just do a small cut of carbs, gotta do a massive one.

I wanted to ask Fitness GAF, would it be better instead of having a sandwich with say, 5-6 slices of turkey, to cut the sandwich part out and just have 5-6 slices of turkey for lunch?

Zoe

Eh... You have to be careful about undereating. If you eat less than what it takes for your body to function, your body will enter starvation mode.

Yeah, I can't just do a small cut of carbs, gotta do a massive one.

I wanted to ask Fitness GAF, would it be better instead of having a sandwich with say, 5-6 slices of turkey, to cut the sandwich part out and just have 5-6 slices of turkey for lunch?

I believe some people have been doing meat and cheese "sandwiches" without the bread for their deli food fix. If you cut the candy it may not be necessary... Without the sugar that diet you posted isn't very high-calorie.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Urgh hurt my lowerback doing regular DLs last night after SG DLs. Shoulder felt weird and popped causing me to tilt forward mid lift and my lower back took the load.

RurouniZel

Eh... You have to be careful about undereating. If you eat less than what it takes for your body to function, your body will enter starvation mode.

I believe some people have been doing meat and cheese "sandwiches" without the bread for their deli food fix. If you cut the candy it may not be necessary... Without the sugar that diet you posted isn't very high-calorie.

I just spoke to my older sister, she's going to help me come up with a diet that's high in vegetables tomorrow (we're going to go grocery shopping to get the right stuff tomorrow). I'm sorry I was so down before, but I am mad at myself for being so undisciplined and I vented.

Starting tomorrow, we're gonna cut the bad carbs and replace with veggies and proteins.

SeanR1221

I just spoke to my older sister, she's going to help me come up with a diet that's high in vegetables tomorrow (we're going to go grocery shopping to get the right stuff tomorrow). I'm sorry I was so down before, but I am mad at myself for being so undisciplined and I vented.

Starting tomorrow, we're gonna cut the bad carbs and replace with veggies and proteins.

Just keep your diet to dark green vegetables, eggs, chicken, whey, seafood, berries, sweet potatoes (monitor these) and maybe rice on lifting days? Quest bars if you can?

RurouniZel

Just keep your diet to dark green vegetables, eggs, chicken, whey, seafood, berries, sweet potatoes (monitor these) and maybe rice on lifting days? Quest bars if you can?

Sounds good, but I do need to try and avoid gluten and super acidic fruits, which is why I was talking veggie with my sister. I don't think I can do Quest Bars, but I'll look at the ingredients.

Just eat a ton of meats while you're at it.
A can of tuna, mayo, spices and herbs, with no bread should fill you up for a long time and give you protein as well as healthy fats.

entremet

Thanks man, I gotta focus on legs.

My leg day is

Squats
Leg press
Hamstring curl
Leg ext

And on a different day I do calves.

They just don't grow that well. I think I'm gonna hit them 2x a week when I do my next bulk.

Not sure what else to do.

Legs can handle 2x per week training. You could a quad day with squats, lunges and a ham day with deads, RDLs, glute ham raises.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Had someone comment on my back at the beach today and since I'm fairly tan and this is probably as good as it will get.....I had my daughter snap a pic. Post your backs FitGaf! Just because you never see it doesn't mean others might not want to take a look!

d9d53c05-ed78-41b3-9d55-3633751259ed.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, looks like I fucked up my lower back last week. I was hoping it was just soreness, but after taking four days off and going back to the gym, the pain flared up again. It's a pain in the lower right side of my back. It's usually not bad unless I sit down, so I've been trying to stay standing while at home at least. Looking up the symptoms, it sounds like it could be anything from lumbar strain, a herniated disc, or Sciatica. Then again, I really have no idea, so I'm just going to schedule an appointment with a doctor to get it checked out.

Really sucks, but it's an important lesson that form matters, I suppose. I really need to figure out how to get my squat and deadlift form correct once I'm all healed up. In the meantime, are there any decent (better than doing nothing) leg exercises that won't put a ton of strain on my lower back? I'm assuming, no, but I'd rather not just do only my upper body until I sort things out with my back.

TheJerit

Had someone comment on my back at the beach today and since I'm fairly tan and this is probably as good as it will get.....I had my daughter snap a pic. Post your backs FitGaf! Just because you never see it doesn't mean others might not want to take a look!

goddamn cooter, goddamn.....

rock-clap.gif

well done, man. been hitting the gym lately, but now i'm finally getting my meal plan laid out (DEM MACROS), my trutein and creatine came in, and have my SS schedule laid out. ready to start this part of my journey. I'm not ready to detail all of my stuff yet, but i'll definitely share in the future and hopefully it'll be motivating to others like me.

MrToughPants

Meast Bode! I actually just took some back shots earlier too lol

I ordered the blue ~32" rumble roller and gonna fucking fix my tightness and stretch these shoulders too. Can't even flex a dbl bi back shot properly without shoulder pain, biceps won't even come up. Gonna hit the lower back and hips too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Meast Bode! I actually just took some back shots earlier too lol

I ordered the blue ~32" rumble roller and gonna fucking fix my tightness and stretch these shoulders too. Can't even flex a dbl bi back shot properly without shoulder pain, biceps won't even come up. Gonna hit the lower back and hips too.

I think I'm going to invest in one, too. Would you mind providing a link to the roller you bought?

Gay men are way pickier. My gym is London's gay central, you see some truly quality physique there. I have never seen so many ripped and big guys im my life, kinda what inspired me to get going too. Women don't really care about it that much, even the hottest girls while they can enjoy and appreciate a quality frame they seem to be fine to settle with anything not grossly under or overweight.

Even on our gym standards you look great as is though, I would not worry about it at all.
Haha, thank you. I do alright, so no worries. It's just crazy how hard the community will push itself to look good just because it's hot.

Sooooo darn true. Your friend's case is really similar to mine. Most people only throw themselves at me for purely shallow reasons. In fact I had a guy flirt me up for half a year just because he liked the attention. When I decided to get serious about us he quickly changed tunes.

Anyway. I just hate that I do tend to let it define my own fitness goals. I hate "bulking", and it's hard to man up and do it simply because I tend to lose out on the types of guys I date, but that is probably rooted in a whole slew of other issues.

Sorry to throw the thread off a bit, lol.

MrToughPants

I think I'm going to invest in one, too. Would you mind providing a link to the roller you bought?

I'm in Canada so I ordered from Treadmill Factory. I got the blue version because it's not as rigid. My gf will probably use it too. I know a few guys like Peter Rubish and Antoinne Vaillant (BEAST) swear by it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004INOO8Y

Jesus MTP! You should go wrestle bears just for cheap entertainment. Massive!

LMAO

TheJerit

I'm in Canada so I ordered from Treadmill Factory. I got the blue version because it's not as rigid. My gf will probably use it too. I know a few guys like Peter Rubish and Antoinne Vaillant (BEAST) swear by it.

be sure to let us know how you like it. i have some at our gym and have been interested in learning some routines to do with them. i know i should start incorporating it soon.

Cudder

LMAO

be sure to let us know how you like it. i have some at our gym and have been interested in learning some routines to do with them. i know i should start incorporating it soon.

I'm in Canada and also bought a Rumble Roller last week (black version). Went with the rigid one because you can somewhat control the level of pressure on your muscles using more or less bodyweight anyway. There's no way I was going to get the noob version and then "upgrade" when I got used to that. Not for almost 100 bucks.

Anyway, I do it every morning and it feels great. Starting to notice some differences already in soreness going away faster.

blackflag

I saw rumble roller at the store today. Almost got it but I wanted to check online first. Things are expensive. They had rigid, regular, and the short one. They were only like 4 dollars more than amazon.

NNJ7CvK.png

There were two dudes doing this today at the gym.
They both dragged a bench to their respective squat racks, away from racks where you can bench. I wouldn't really care if it wasn't for there not being safety bars, which I would have thought is the primary (and only) reason you'd drag a bench all over to the squat rack.

Fortunately I had already finished my squats.
Foam rolled afterwards (and before), and it was amazing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Decided it's now time to start to measure body parts instead of just staring at the scale. I will make a habit of doing it the first Sunday of each month. Here we go!

Height - 189cm

Biceps - 40cm
Chest - 108cm
Waist - 95cm
Quads - 57cm
Calves - 41cm

Waist needs to go down and quads up. Otherwise quite happy with the balance, it seems I am keepig with the Biceps = Calves ratio some advocate.

Tabris

Hey I thought you guys may know. I have this issue when I'm running or even a long power walk where my right calf starts burning way ahead of me ever actually being tired (no shortness of breath, my heart rate is fine). I need to then stop and wait for it to stop burning. Repeat. Not getting much of an exercise because of it. Happens whether I stretch before or not, and it's only the right one. Anyone else experience something like this before? I'm thinking I'll go to a doctor to have it checked out but wanna throw it out here too.

Detox

While benching I struggle to push my chest up by pushing down with my feet. I have a feeling it's because of my height (~5,7) and that I can't comfortably generate the force required with my feet on the ground. Is it ok if I use the platforms I see lying around the gym? Anyone else have similar problems?

Cagey

Banned
Fack. Some moronic old man got his finger caught in between the pin and 300 lbs of plates on a Nautilus leg press machine yesterday. We're talking 60 or so, wearing jeans and work boots on the weight floor.

I was closest and the only person who saw, so I ran over and tried to push the sled off his fingers.. only to find out he somehow jammed his fingers in between the plates, not UNDER them. He shouts at me and says "lift up the plates you idiot" as I'm going to risk chopping my fingers off.

15 minutes later, three guys are having to lift each plate up individually and pin them in stacks of 10 (30 plates...), while I'm half-assed on the press seat with half back support, in full leg press mode, having to keep the weight stack at full extension. In the middle of this, the old man's equally dumb friend knocks into me to get me out of the way so he can "see what's going on here", which is colossally stupid.

Eventually we get him unstuck, and he doesn't even have the politeness to say thanks. He does, though, sit there in the chair between the sled for two more minutes, which means I can't move.

His moron friend goes downstairs to bitch about how the machine is too dangerous and always broken and he "knew someone would get seriously hurt because NYSC has dangerous machines and doesn't do anything about it." It's this kind of bullshit that has Planet Fitness ditching everything remotely dangerous.

Welp, now half of my back feels like total shit the next day. On the bright side, I hit 165x4 on OHP? Ugh.

These leafy greens aint doing my stomach no good, but when I stop eating them they got me lookin' real red in the bathroom, ya feel me
LLShC.gif

Ugh, I should not have skipped carb nite this week, thought I was gonna be strong and last 14 days

Imm0rt4l

These leafy greens aint doing my stomach no good, but when I stop eating them they got me lookin' real red in the bathroom, ya feel me
LLShC.gif

Ugh, I should not have skipped carb nite this week, thought I was gonna be strong and last 14 days
Coffee may help, or there's metamucil.

entremet

How good is the beginner's full body workout in the OP for muscle gains? Do I keep doing it until the gains stop?

Basically, as a beginner you whole body is a weak point. That's why it's a full body workout, 3x per week. Once you put on some size and adequate strength you can move on upper/lower, 5/3/1 variations, brosplits and work on lagging body parts.

Just avoid a brosplits as a beginner. You need to build a strength base and SS does that really well.

Hey I thought you guys may know. I have this issue when I'm running or even a long power walk where my right calf starts burning way ahead of me ever actually being tired (no shortness of breath, my heart rate is fine). I need to then stop and wait for it to stop burning. Repeat. Not getting much of an exercise because of it. Happens whether I stretch before or not, and it's only the right one. Anyone else experience something like this before? I'm thinking I'll go to a doctor to have it checked out but wanna throw it out here too.

Could be a magnesium/potassium deficiency. But go to a doc for a professional diagnosis.

How good is the beginner's full body workout in the OP for muscle gains? Do I keep doing it until the gains stop?

No, when the gains stop you deload and build you way back up to where you were and then blast through the plateau. Then you repeat a couple times and THEN it's time to look into something more specialized.

Good things about today: 171.8 this morning, now 20.6 lbs down over just two days shy of three months.. Also, it's carb refeed day WHEEEEE CEREAL

Good bad things about today: Recovery week ended Friday it's time to get back on the train with squats...horrible, beautiful squats

Bad things about today: Son had a nightmare and wife had a stomach ache so superdad's been up since 6:30 :p

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think I'm prepared to update my top 5 quest bar list since the release of the new flavor. I know everyone is dying to know! lol

#1-Chocolate chip cookie dough
#2-PB Supreme
#3-White chocolate raspberry
#4-PB&J
#5-Apple pie

Height: 5 10

Weight:140ish

Goal: Gain 20 pounds (160)

Current Training Schedule: I will be doing the Beginner program that was mentioned in the OP

Current Training Equipment Available: YMCA membership. I has everything I need

Comments: Just wanted to say that I am inspired by everyone in this thread and that I will hit my goal!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so I'm now a full month after being on my new diet, and the good news is, overall I've made a net gain of 8 lbs. :rock (though technically, that's more like what I've gotten out of two weeks, sine it took two weeks for me to lose a few pounds and then gain them back)

Here's the thing though. While I'm glad I seem to be making progress, my appearance hasn't changed noticeably. My wrists and forearms are still skinny looking as ever.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting much difference if I had gained a pound or two, but I figured once I got close to 10 lbs. I would see noticeable improvements. How much do I have to gain before I start seeing actual results?

Cudder

You have to work out whatever you want to get bigger. Getting bigger solely by food will just put it in your gut. If you want bigger arms, work them out hardcore. Plus you need to give it way longer than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom