• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Or the other side of the coin, you can adjust to the diet and start to eat too much fat, to the point you stop losing weight.

I've had excellent results from keto and excellent results from a standard diet . All that matters is to get enough protein, be in a caloric deficit, and keep the weight on the bar (drop volume, not intensity).

True once fat adapted you can lower it a bit.

I don't even think I could mentally do keto anymore. Carb cycling is giving me better results plus I get 2 300g days, 1 200g days, 2 100g days, 1 50g and 1 0g. That chart I posted earlier is from the day I started it.

blackflag

A lot of diets I read always talk to you about "well, it's not lowering the calories, it's the insulin:glucagon ratio is screwed up and ya gotta fix, or cut carbs and go high fat/protein, or cut fat to lose fat and bunch up on carbs, etc. Ketogenic diets have people eating about 1700 calories a day. But it’s not the caloric restriction causing the weight loss, of course, no it’s the magic protein:carb ratio. And I think there's where some people fuck up, they hear "low carbs, high fat/protein" and they eat lots of big calorie-dense, high fat foods because hey, I'm under that daily carb count and I'm getting a lot of protein, right

It keeps coming down to expending more calories than you're putting in your mouth, and getting an adequate amount of dietary protein.

Ok for many people that works but a lot of obese people are insulin resistant so it helps a lot to not eat carbs.

I have tracked everything I eat for over 2 years now.

If I eat high carb at 2,500 cals my weight will stay the same. I tried it for months.

Yet right now I'm carb cycling at the same average cals per day and I lost 20 lbs in a month.

So it does matter for a lot of people. Cals in cals out is kinda bs. Because of hormones.

Imm0rt4l

A lot of diets I read always talk to you about "well, it's not lowering the calories, it's the insulin:glucagon ratio is screwed up and ya gotta fix, or cut carbs and go high fat/protein, or cut fat to lose fat and bunch up on carbs, etc. Ketogenic diets have people eating about 1700 calories a day. But it’s not the caloric restriction causing the weight loss, of course, no it’s the magic protein:carb ratio. And I think there's where some people fuck up, they hear "low carbs, high fat/protein" and they eat lots of big calorie-dense, high fat foods because hey, I'm under that daily carb count and I'm getting a lot of protein, right

It keeps coming down to expending more calories than you're putting in your mouth, and getting an adequate amount of dietary protein.
Flexible dieting/iifym ftw

sphinx

the piano man
Never wore one. We'll see how it feels in the gym tomorrow. I like it so far. They had many colors, captain America, iron man, and Batman too

I also was hesitant to wear one because it's really tight. You might feel a bit strange wearing that for the first time but it's very comfortable and it does a really great job at keeping you almost dry, regardless of what you are doing and ironically, your body feels completely free, it adapts to each and every movement you do.

and the best part... :-D after the pump, you'll look at the mirrors and think " Damn, I've come a long way". lol

If you've been using cotton t-shirts for workout, tomorrow you'll have a revelation.

I hope you like it.

I wanna see somebody decked out in full Batman gear and hitting the gym heavy, making full on Nolan Batman sounds because DAT PUMP BRAH

"BLAAAAAAARGH RACHEL!"

Ok FitGaf, I need advice. I want to lose weight, build muscle and gain by my speed/agility. Losing weight is my primary objective however. I have access to a gym, Planet Fitness, and have a treadmill at home. What do you recommend in terms of both a diet and a workout with primarily machines? I am rather picky with food, I have a problem with texture. The only vegetables I can eat are peas , potatoes and green beans.

I am 5'11 and 218. I have a hard time staying motivated, and buying a fitbit/nike fuelband haven't helped to keep me motivated/remind me to workout.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hey guys Im signing up to a *bodybuilding* gym this week

any advice? After talking to the guy and fessing up on being a noob he told me to take it slow and do a bit of everything so my muscles can get used to the burn and stuff... I cant afford a personal trainer or anything and dont wanna look like a complete fool...so how long should a session last? could somebody give me a rough idea of what to do on my first day?

Hey guys Im signing up to a *bodybuilding* gym this week

any advice? After talking to the guy and fessing up on being a noob he told me to take it slow and do a bit of everything so my muscles can get used to the burn and stuff... I cant afford a personal trainer or anything and dont wanna look like a complete fool...so how long should a session last? could somebody give me a rough idea of what to do on my first day?

Have you read the OP?

Now read it again

now read it one more time, follow SS, eat the right food, good luck

Imm0rt4l

Anyone here do lowbar squats? I think I wanna try it tomorrow. Is the optimal setup having the bar in front of you around nipple level?
I agree if you can do it. Maintaining or bulking, I definitely use iifym and eat dat ice cream
Yea, strangely enough when it comes to cutting I'd still rather Deprive myself. I mean you can eat a double double everyday and lose weight, but why would you. While I don't think I'd do keto again it taught me some discipline for sure. I'm a bit of a volume monster so I'm trying to find foods with shit tons of volume that aren't super calorie dense.

Ugh, somehow, the muscles above the collarbone up towards the trap on my right side have been stressed too much. Could be this shitty bed/pillow as it's only on one side.

I hate random aches.

Thankyou sir

Of note: The starting strength wiki linked to in the OP has a section explicitly called "the first workout"
at first a program with a few reps may feel like too little work, but the goal is sustainable progress. If you follow the program's guidelines you will get to the point where things are difficult very fast.
The op probably says that someplace but I can't remember.

TheJerit

Definitely shit and water since I was at the beach. The damage was

- quesarito
- all you can eat crab, shrimp, hush puppies and fried chicken
- bagel breakfast sandwiches today and yesterday
- lunch meat sandwich
- lots of pizza
- buffalo chicken dip
- endless chips, brownies and alcohol.

Lots and lots and lots of alcohol.

If I ever wanted to fulk I could do it with ease.

I know that feel.

fuuuuuckkk I could go for some hush puppies right now....

please tell me they were just the worst you've ever had ;p

blackflag

I also was hesitant to wear one because it's really tight. You might feel a bit strange wearing that for the first time but it's very comfortable and it does a really great job at keeping you almost dry, regardless of what you are doing and ironically, your body feels completely free, it adapts to each and every movement you do.

and the best part... :-D after the pump, you'll look at the mirrors and think " Damn, I've come a long way". lol

If you've been using cotton t-shirts for workout, tomorrow you'll have a revelation.

I hope you like it.

Awesome! I'll let you know

SeanR1221

Look what came in while I was away

31AAA951-8827-4017-A160-1CB49D39A3DF-2472-0000012B6B7D4325_zps49e7b88c.jpg

I gotta start dead lifting in pants. I think one of the prime failures in my form on Friday was positing the bar too far away from my legs horizontally while pulling. I think that was happening because for a while I was breaking open scabs on my shins every DL day.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

And then you have the people who calculate their shit to the tee and "expend" more energy than the caloric load they consume from food on a daily basis yet don't lose any fat. Hell, some of them may even gain some.

Hormones play a gigantic role in what kind of mass the body accumulates or rids itself of and when. Saying it's all about calories is just as ridiculous about the magic protein:carb ration you're deriding.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Look what came in while I was away
Nice. As soon as I saw that shirt I organised a group buy with some mates (to save on international shipping). Thought we were going to just get a few of the GoT ones and maybe some others, ended up ordering something like $300 worth of shirts.

And then you have the people who calculate their shit to the tee and "expend" more energy than the caloric load they consume from food on a daily basis yet don't lose any fat. Hell, some of them may even gain some.

Hormones play a gigantic role in what kind of mass the body accumulates or rids itself of and when. Saying it's all about calories is just as ridiculous about the magic protein:carb ration you're deriding.

There aren't the only aspect obviously, but calories are the #1 key aspect in whether or not someone gains or loses weight, more than any insulin:glucagon ratio, protein:carbs ratio, partitioning and other assorted bullshit. It's not the long and short of it, but it is the bottomline to any successful diet. My post was a reply to HisshouBuraiKen's post in how you can get results with a variety of methods(which will all advise a caloric deficit, even if they dress it up in other terms). Create a large enough caloric deficit, or a large enough caloric surplus, and something simply HAS to happen. The fundamental rules of thermodynamics apply to everyone and everything.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
All you bulkers. Pffftt. Team maintain! Yes! We are way awesomer than all you bulkers and cutters!!!

TheJerit

Soooooon!!! Ok not soon actually finish cut then maintain until thanksgiving. Prolly be a good day to start dat bulk.

bulk? it's like the 2nd cheat day on my schedule until xmas (my bday being the only other). damn you.... good luck though. can't wait to be able to include those mix schedules next year, but now, I'm just doing what I need to do. It's almost another job for me. my wife, whom hasn't done this level of training since softball days, is in for a rude awakening lol. I told her I would get up extra early and help train/spot her on it (SS training), but today she then went and said...."only 3 main exercises for tomorrow??? that doesn't seem much..." OH LAWD SHE'S IN FOR RUDE AWAKENING.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There aren't the only aspect obviously, but calories are the #1 key aspect in whether or not someone gains or loses weight, more than any insulin:glucagon ratio, protein:carbs ratio, partitioning and other assorted bullshit. It's not the long and short of it, but it is the bottomline to any successful diet. My post was a reply to HisshouBuraiKen's post in how you can get results with a variety of methods(which will all advise a caloric deficit, even if they dress it up in other terms). Create a large enough caloric deficit, or a large enough caloric surplus, and something simply HAS to happen. The fundamental rules of thermodynamics apply to everyone and everything.

While the bolded is true over a long term, it's such a gross oversimplification that I don't believe it can be applied reliably in regards to the human body. It's like ignoring an entire system and focusing only on its fuel in imprecise terms, and not caring about the differences between the different fuels and their respective levels of efficiency and applicability. We're not internal combustion engines--our bodies are massively complex systems.

Different foods are processed in different ways with different levels of efficiency. Different macro nutrients are used for different functions. Their usage or storage also depends on a wide variety of external factors and timing.

I'd suggest reading this for starters: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/9

There's a ton more on the topic if you simply Google "law of thermodynamics and calories" or something similar.

Does the human body require food to grow bigger? Yes. Will it grow smaller if food is not provided? Yes. That still doesn't explain at all why and when it grows (or shrinks) in what ways.

We're here in a thread where one of the primary focuses is on how to build muscle mass. Surely you understand how important specific activities and triggering hormones are in determining body composition. It seems much more valuable, to me at least, to identify those factors and how they work in your individual body (since individual genetics are also a huge component) than it is to throw out broad numbers that are based off imprecise calculations.

despire

So...any1?

Can't really help you sorry. You'd be better asking your doc about the situation with the thyroid and low test. Or perhaps there is someone who knows...

Anyway your's isn't the best of situations but keep at it. You can have success even though it might take a little bit longer.

Might be a dumb question but are you taking lots of D3 because you are deficient? How much are you taking daily?

despire

What's everyone's thoughts on resistance bands? Good for building muscle?

On their own? No, not really. In conjunction with a barbell movement when you are trying to break through a sticking point you otherwise can't bust through? Maybe, if you are advanced enough.

I mainly use one in my warm up routine (shoulder dislocations etc..) because there's one lying around.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Completed my pull-up/push-up pyramid for the first time today.

1 pull-up followed immediately by 2 push-ups
rest
2 pull-ups followed immediately by 4 push-ups
rest
...and so on, until you get to...
10 pull-ups followed immediately by 20 push-ups
rest
9 pull-ups followed immediately by 18 push-ups
rest

So in the end I did 100 pull-ups and 200 push-ups. Don't know how long it took me, but I'd guess somewhere between 20-30 minutes. Really tough workout. Especially on my abs (damn push-ups). Btw, the rest set is however long you need to complete the next set, so at first my rests were pretty short, but gradually became longer.

Cooter, give the workout a try. I think you'd especially enjoy it.

sphinx

the piano man
despite being as much a bulker as anyone in the last page, I feel so out of the team :p I fail so much at eating,

I now know my macros and what to eat every day but I rarely reach the goal so I suspect I am pretty much at maintenance. I wish I had a wife/girlfriend that cooked for me like most of you have, lol

despire

I was thinking about making a DIY pull-up bar in our summer house. Would be fun to do some pull-ups and whatnot outside while we spend time there. Shouldn't be too hard to build and not too expensive either.

homemade-outdoor-pullup-bar-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Completed my pull-up/push-up pyramid for the first time today.

rest
2 pull-ups followed immediately by 4 push-ups
rest
10 pull-ups followed immediately by 20 push-ups
rest
9 pull-ups followed immediately by 18 push-ups
rest

So in the end I did 100 pull-ups and 200 push-ups. Don't know how long it took me, but I'd guess somewhere between 20-30 minutes. Really tough workout. Especially on my abs (damn push-ups). Btw, the rest set is however long you need to complete the next set, so at first my rests were pretty short, but gradually became longer.

Cooter, give the workout a try. I think you'd especially enjoy it.

What do you do if you fail a set, like say, get to 9 pull-ups on your 10 pull-up set?

Thrakier

Can't really help you sorry. You'd be better asking your doc about the situation with the thyroid and low test. Or perhaps there is someone who knows...

Anyway your's isn't the best of situations but keep at it. You can have success even though it might take a little bit longer.

Might be a dumb question but are you taking lots of D3 because you are deficient? How much are you taking daily?

Yes, I'm taking a lot of D3 now, about 5.000 to 7.500 additional every day. I'm now around 60, before it was below 20. Highest is 150 to 2000 I'd guess.

Petrie

Banned
despite being as much a bulker as anyone in the last page, I feel so out of the team :p I fail so much at eating,

I now know my macros and what to eat every day but I rarely reach the goal so I suspect I am pretty much at maintenance. I wish I had a wife/girlfriend that cooked for me like most of you have, lol

I don't think most of us have this. Take care of your shit!

I know I cook everything myself.

Visceir

Been having difficulties with eating too lately. I can somewhat meet my macro needs on days when I don't have much to do but as soon as I become more social my diet starts to suffer. I don't really get upset over it or disappointed as I know I'd start to hate my diet and probably give up on it if I was super strict, but I guess it would still be nice to not let the gains go to waste.

Either way I've been rather happy with the progress I've been making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom