• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah man bowl all the way nous I'm
Linda drunk
Now off of two many vodka red bulls but its cool its vacation you guys are great between train hard or tren hard or whatever starting Monday
If this isn't intentional then it is comedy gold! Nice drink choice BTW.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn 2nd straight day at the gym where I couldn't lift what I should be at. For some reason my form was off on squats and I kept rounding my back so had to deload on my last set. Bench went fine, went up in rows, and had to deload for my deadlifts. I think it may have been I haven't eaten enough or got enough sleep. Started work today early in the morning at like 7 pst, had no sleep the night before either. Took a nap so I could have some energy then went straight to the gym. I was basically running on fumes all day. Also now that I finally have work gotta adjust my eating and gym schedule since before I had all the time in the world.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Are woman as picky about fit guys as gays are?

Just had someone told me I'd look better at 7% BF When I normally hang around 9-12ish%. And people wonder why I'm constantly wanting to cut. -_-

Gay men are way pickier. My gym is London's gay central, you see some truly quality physique there. I have never seen so many ripped and big guys im my life, kinda what inspired me to get going too. Women don't really care about it that much, even the hottest girls while they can enjoy and appreciate a quality frame they seem to be fine to settle with anything not grossly under or overweight.

Even on our gym standards you look great as is though, I would not worry about it at all.

sphinx

the piano man
Are woman as picky about fit guys as gays are?

Just had someone told me I'd look better at 7% BF When I normally hang around 9-12ish%. And people wonder why I'm constantly wanting to cut. -_-

Men, of any kind, will always compete against other men. The fitness competition between straight men doesn't amount to much because at the end, you know that it's all for fun and there's no ill-intent, and even if there was, you forget about it right away. It's not a serious matter.

the Fit-Gay world though, besides the competition thing, it's VERY much a meat market with prices and a clear hierarchy and everybody will try to reach for the upper drawer and try to get the biggest, tallest, baddest, manliest and hottest guy available.

it all sucks because you see other guys very obssessed with the body thing and you see people asking you out and showing interest becasue they think you are hot but at the same time they don't care about you.

that happens to me and I am just mildly fit.... I can't imagine how can dating be for you, Darth. A friend of mine, nearly as muscled as you, was depressed because he felt he was only considered a trophy or an achievement. Whenever he'd reciprocate interest, it was only to realize the other guy just wanted to see if he could catch him, completely superficial.

it's mdefinitely much easier to be muscled and straight. Women are smarter in that sense, they look for a man, not a pack of meat.

and there's a lot more to say but this isn't the topic....

SeanR1221

lmao saving this for sober Sean to read

If this isn't intentional then it is comedy gold! Nice drink choice BTW.

I literally don't remember writing that. Must have been a good night! And yup, vodka and sugar free redbulls all night, one of my favorite drinks.

Also while drunk my one friend who's into lifting admitted to me he used diet pills to help him cut weight for the summer and basically has been shitting his brains out everyday :/

Chittagong

Gold Member
Baby steps with OHP, finally got past 110lbs for 4 reps. Not very much yet but at least I am finally adding again. That last push to near lockout is so damn satisfying.

SeanR1221

Baby steps with OHP, finally got past 110lbs for 4 reps. Not very much yet but at least I am finally adding again. That last push to near lockout is so damn satisfying.

It's a super slow, but satisfying grind. It's amazing how much heavier 5 pounds can feel. I also get surprised how quickly I feel weak on them. First couple reps your like wooooo and then you're like oh shit

Does anyone have any tips on making my own protein shake?

Liquid egg whites for protein, full-fat milk, peanutbutter, cocoa.

I had to deload my OHP, was about to hit the 110lbs, but had a week of shitty sleep and stress, so now I'm trying to hit 105lbs again.

1001713_424647934314403_444267604_n.jpg

This is definitely my end-goal.
Maybe in 2-3 years, maybe.

Going to to have to bulk up crazy though.

Mr.City

Terrible gym session 325 Squat was a bust (4/3/3) as was the 195 Bench (5/4/4). I completed the 5RM 355 Deadlift on almost pure brute force, but I felt no energy, my head hurts and sleep is not cutting it.

It seems I am becoming more overtrained every day! I'll try to get my act together for Monday's session, or it seems I am going to reset and microload soon

Are you still deadlifting on the days you squat heavy?

Thanks. Is this good for lean bulk?

Lemme whip up some nutrient statistics for you:

300g/300ml of liquid egg whites, 300ml of full fat milk, No sugar peanut butter (50g), two tablespoons of cocoa powder.

Calories: 704
Carbs: 23
Fat: 41
Protein: 57

I'm sure someone else can come up with a better mix though.
Any reason you don't want to just go with whey protein powder?
If you can't do whey, just grab pea/egg/soy protein (ignore Petrie :p).

_Isaac

Was going to start my workout today with ohp, both the squat rack and the cage were in use. one was being used for rows, and the squat rack was of course being used for curls.

I was encountered a guy doing curls in the squat rack, and he had both the squat rack barbell and the power rack barbell there for some reason.

I think I'm going to totally reset my Deadlifts to work on form. At some point in the recent past I start lifting with my back and not pushing my feet into the ground. Irritated my back, and I haven't really made much progress in my Deadlift max in the past year compared to squat or DL. Maybe I'll start doing mixed grip finally too.

300g/300ml of liquid egg whites, 300ml of full fat milk, No sugar peanut butter (50g), two tablespoons of cocoa powder.

I have no problem with whey protein powder, I just dont want to buy protein shake mixes. Assuming I buy the whey powder in bulk, do I just blend it with milk and Im good to go?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm pretty consistent now finishing my weighted pull ups at 115x4. Wonder what my 1RM is?

Ok now I remember why I asked about protein shakes this morning. Is it more economical to buy whey in bulk, or to make your own protein shakes like the one squiddy suggested?

I dont like the whey protein shake mixes cause they are expensive (at least here in Toronto) and when I've used them in the past I would get hard lumps under my skin.

Ok now I remember why I asked about protein shakes this morning. Is it more economical to buy whey in bulk, or to make your own protein shakes like the one squiddy suggested?

I dont like the whey protein shake mixes cause they are expensive (at least here in Toronto) and when I've used them in the past I would get hard lumps under my skin.

It's possible you're lactose intolerant or just don't deal with whey very well.
In which case, yes, what I suggested should be a decent enough alternative, but not as cheap.
Whey powder is much, much cheaper, mixed together with milk.

In your case, whey isolate might help, of which I found the following in http://www.canadianprotein.com/100-whey-protein-isolate-5lbs.html

It's possible you're lactose intolerant or just don't deal with whey very well.
In which case, yes, what I suggested should be a decent enough alternative, but not as cheap.
Whey powder is much, much cheaper, mixed together with milk.

In your case, whey isolate might help, of which I found the following in http://www.canadianprotein.com/100-whey-protein-isolate-5lbs.html

I dont think Im lactose intolerant because I drink milk all the time with no problems. Just to be clear, there is a difference between whey isolate and those protein shakes that contain whey (wight gainers, muscle milk, etc.)?

I dont think Im lactose intolerant because I drink milk all the time with no problems. Just to be clear, there is a difference between whey isolate and those protein shakes that contain whey (wight gainers, muscle milk, etc.)?

This is covered in the OP.

Weight gainers are essentially just protein powder, but with a bunch of unnecessary stuff added.
Just buy protein powder, either whey isolate (90% protein) or concentrate (80% protein), and get the carbs/fat that weight gainers contain through actual food.

And don't forget to get protein from your food as well, the protein shake is just there to ensure that your muscles get an abundant supply of protein to help you bulk up.

despire

Lyle McDonald's two best exercises for getting a six pack:

1. Table Push Aways: When you start to get full, just push away from the table
2. Head Shakes: When someone offers you food not on your diet, twist your head right and then left and repeat going 'No thank you'.

lmao

could go with almond milk if he doesnt want the fat from whole milk. i'm assuming he's skinny enough to where it doesn't really matter?

Petrie

Banned
Whey is like Gold futures lol. I don't get all price fluctuations.

It's all the non-typical guys buying it up to make "protein" products. Shit like Monster Energy, Gatorade, etc, all buying huge amounts to make their shitty products is leading to straigt up Whey sky-rocketting.

Sucks.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Perhaps my science is off, but are bagels not an amazing bulking food? Just had my first bagel in 2.5 months. Toasted whole wheat everything bagel that, besides tasting great, has like 50g of carbs, little fat, and even some protein. A nice, filling, 300 calorie snack. I have a tough time eating lots of carbs for a proper bulk, so I'm sitting here wondering, "Why can't I have a bagel everyday?" I can only eat so much oatmeal, rice, and potatoes.

Thing is, bagels get such a bad rap that I fear I'm overlooking something.

entremet

Perhaps my science is off, but are bagels not an amazing bulking food? Just had my first bagel in 2.5 months. Whole wheat everything that, besides tasting great, has like 50g of carbs, little fat, and even some protein. I have a tough time eating lots of carbs for a proper bulk, so I'm sitting here wondering, "Why can't I have a bagel everyday?" I can only eat so much oatmeal, rice, and potatoes.

Thing is, bagels get such a bad rap that I fear I'm overlooking something.

Poor nutritional density and they're also refined carbs, which put on unwanted fat.

What about potatoes? Much better nutritional density and calorie dense. Pair with protein to prevent huge insulin spikes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
*ugh*

FitnessGAF, I'm ready to cry. (Well, not CRY, but I am extremely frustrated)

I've tried to cut back on food this week and I went to the gym 5 times running off 4-500 calories on three of those days.

I went up 4 lbs.

I seem to have zero success in reversing the graph taking my weight up. Can anyone recommend me a good diet that is high in energy and low in calories? No gluten foods or caffeine. :(

thomaser

I'm struggling to do the same weight. I can reach 5 reps at the first two sets quite easily, but I just can't get up the very last rep in the third set. I failed three times, went back to deload (and did 47,5 kilos no problem), and then failed again on my next 50 kilo try. Oh, well. Trying again next Tuesday. Crazy how big the difference is between 47,5 and 50 kg, both physically and mentally.

Petrie

Banned
*ugh*

I've tried to cut back on food this week and I went to the gym 5 times running off 4-500 calories on three of those days.

I went up 4 lbs.

I seem to have zero success in reversing the graph taking my weight up. Can anyone recommend me a good diet that is high in energy and low in calories? No gluten foods or caffeine. :(

count calories and weigh food, don't just "cut back", we need real data to help you.

seriously, we need data to know what's going on.

*ugh*

I went up 4 lbs.

Make sure you're eating the amount you think you are. Plenty of food products have counter intuitive and tiny serving sizes.

RurouniZel

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'll try to break down what I eat (and I won't lie and hold back)

Breakfast
2 hard-boiled eggs
Bagel w/ butter
Pomegrante Blueberry Juice (12 ounces)

Snack:
Banana
Snickers
Water

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich
Water

Snack:
Apple
Chuckles (sometimes)

Dinner:
Banquet: Gravy And Salisbury Steak w/Mashed Potatoes And Corn Meal, 9.5 Oz

Don't have cold hard stats right now, but your breakfast alone is near 700 calories.

If you're trying to cut at, say, 2000 calories, you've already eaten about a third of your portion for the whole day.

But as a snack you had a Snickers bar and a banana, a total of 400 calories.

I hope I've put things into perspective for you.

It's obvious why you aren't losing weight.

EDIT: probably should have read the rest of your diet. Kinda hard though on my phone. Hmmm, depending on how big your turkey sandwich is, and what toppings and bread you use, that could set you at a calorie surplus. Didn't realize there were only 290 calories in that dinner. I guess with that plan you COULD eat at a deficit.

I'll try to break down what I eat (and I won't lie and hold back)

Breakfast
2 hard-boiled eggs
Bagel w/ butter
Pomegrante Blueberry Juice (12 ounces)

Snack:
Banana
Snickers
Water

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich
Water

Snack:
Apple
Chuckles (sometimes)

Dinner:
Banquet: Gravy And Salisbury Steak w/Mashed Potatoes And Corn Meal, 9.5 Oz

Height and weight stats would be nice too.

Find something healthier for a snack instead of a snickers. More fruits or veggies, maybe.

Change the fruit juice to water.

What's a "chuckles?"

RurouniZel

Don't have cold hard stats right now, but your breakfast alone is near 700 calories.

If you're trying to cut at, say, 2000 calories, you've already eaten about a third of your portion for the whole day.

But as a snack you had a Snickers bar and a banana, a total of 400 calories.

I hope I've put things into perspective for you.

It's obvious why you aren't losing weight.

EDIT: probably should have read the rest of your diet. Kinda hard though on my phone. Hmmm, depending on how big your turkey sandwich is, and what toppings and bread you use, that could set you at a calorie surplus. Didn't realize there were only 290 calories in that dinner. I guess with that plan you COULD eat at a deficit.

Yeah, I think you're right, I front load too much. I can't drink caffeine anymore and eat for energy. Probably the biggest reason. I just need to learn some restraint.

Height and weight stats would be nice too.

Find something healthier for a snack instead of a snickers. More fruits or veggies, maybe.

Change the fruit juice to water.

What's a "chuckles?"

6'1" now 234.

This is a Chuckles

EDIT: I'm going to go for a jog outside since the gym is closed. :/

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm struggling to do the same weight. I can reach 5 reps at the first two sets quite easily, but I just can't get up the very last rep in the third set. I failed three times, went back to deload (and did 47,5 kilos no problem), and then failed again on my next 50 kilo try. Oh, well. Trying again next Tuesday. Crazy how big the difference is between 47,5 and 50 kg, both physically and mentally.

Yeah getting from 47.5kg to 50kg has probably taken me longer than the previous 10kg altogether :D

It helped to make a habit of working out delts twice every week even though SS gives only 1.5 on average

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom