• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

I swear, you guys are your Quest bars! I'll pry em out of your hands if I have to.

iCXNzQ1w5QLpn.gif

I take it you're kinda annoyed by all teh quest bar talk also?

The buff dudes have some pretty wonky work-out programs, but they're pretty alright when it comes to nutrition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScVlc2VN4o

More on bulking:

How come bulking is such a mystery?
I've been trying to research it a bit, and there are so many conflicting answers.

Yes, you can bulk up in muscles, minimally in fat. No, when you bulk you will inevitably get fat. You can bulk primarily in muscles, but then you'll get less muscles than if you just bulk up without being concerned with fat.

The way I see it, there must be a pretty hard limit to how quickly your muscles can grow, so it seems logical that you can only grow them so quickly, and if you eat more calories than the amount needed for that hard-determined muscle growth - the surplus calories will end up stored as fat, unless you have such high activity levels that you're able to burn off those surplus calories.

I just need to find some research confirming the above, as it's just random speculation (I swear I've read the growth rate limit somewhere though).

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but personally I'm having an awful time cutting, so if I can bulk primarily in muscles then I'm willing to do some research to figure out how to do it.

Thanks! I can't wait to start bulking. Quick question, I'm trying to use this calculator to calculate how much I should be eating to bulk: If I'm lifting 3x a week for 50-60 minutes and cycling 20 miles once a week, would this fall under moderate or lightly active? (BMRx1.55 vs. 1.375)

I'm thinking shooting for .5lb/week should be a good bulking target for me, given that I put on fat pretty easily. Do you guys shoot for 1lb/week on bulks?
.5-1lb a week is plenty acceptable, but this if FitGAF people go for 3lbs/wk here. :D

Hah. Nah, don't worry about the intricaies of those calcuators/equations too much. As long as you're ballpark (especially when bulking) you're fine. I say just pick the higher number in this case, but again it's not a huge deal.

I use them to guage a starting point, adjust according to goals, then adjust according to weight loss/gain. Then I adjust as I progress.

iCXNzQ1w5QLpn.gif

I take it you're kinda annoyed by all teh quest bar talk also?
Hell yeah! They say you cannot make a better tasting bar in the kitchen. I say they haven't tried!

Petrie

Banned
Hell yeah! They say you cannot make a better tasting bar in the kitchen. I say they haven't tried!

What we say is you can't make a better tasting bar with the same nutritional profile for those costs.

If you can show me a recipe with the same fiber, protein, and lack of sugar that I can make for around $1 a bar, sign me up. I'm a type 1 diabetic and keeping my carbs down is super important, meaning bars with oatmeal and such defeat the purpose. I would love to be proven wrong but nobody has done so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nds-sales-of-sports-supplement-craze/2618967/

Craze got pulled off bodybuilding.com, apparently it has some really suspect amphetamines in it. I didn't know that the creator of craze also was also behind superdrol. Apparently he also he put a mislabled weight loss pill on the market under another name which had dnp in it. DNP was used in the 30's for weight loss, but many people died of hyperthermia.

Cue dudebros stocking up on craze wherever they can.

Imm0rt4l

The last preworkout I bought was the old formula jack3d about a year ago, such a waste of money. I didn't feel shit. I stick to coffee.

SeanR1221

Heh funny you guys are talking about pre workouts.

I was in GNC to scoop a box of white chocolate quest (god tier, btw) and the guy was pushing pre workout on me.

No thanks I drink coffee. He kept pushing and handed me a sample of "pump fuel insanity"

Oh well I'll try it. If it kills me I leave my stock of quest bars to Petrie.

Petrie

Banned
Heh funny you guys are talking about pre workouts.

I was in GNC to scoop a box of white chocolate quest (god tier, btw) and the guy was pushing pre workout on me.

No thanks I drink coffee. He kept pushing and handed me a sample of "pump fuel insanity"

Oh well I'll try it. If it kills me I leave my stock of quest bars to Petrie.

I like Sean but I also like Quest bars. Not sure how to feel.

I kiiiiiiiid!

What we say is you can't make a better tasting bar with the same nutritional profile for those costs.

If you can show me a recipe with the same fiber, protein, and lack of sugar that I can make for around $1 a bar, sign me up. I'm a type 1 diabetic and keeping my carbs down is super important, meaning bars with oatmeal and such defeat the purpose. I would love to be proven wrong but nobody has done so.
Petrie lol. I'm just giving you guys a hard time.

Madness

I take Musclepharm Amino1 pre workout with a teaspoon of creatine.

Only reason is because this supplement place nearby was dumping all his MusclePharm stuff so I got like 6 small tubs of it for like $60 cash.

I can't handle caffeine anymore. Used to guzzle two liters of pop from a young age, turned into coffee and energy drinks in uni, with 2-3 scoops of concentrated pwo. Was all useless stims.

Petrie

Banned
Petrie lol. I'm just giving you guys a hard time.

Oh I don't take offense, I truly would love a recipe for such a bar. When bulking I've made my own bars with various recipes from this thread, but they've always used oats as a main ingredient which drives the carbs way high.

I'm a cheapass at heart, so homemade would be fantastic.

Oh I don't take offense, I truly would love a recipe for such a bar. When bulking I've made my own bars with various recipes from this thread, but they've always used oats as a main ingredient which drives the carbs way high.

I'm a cheapass at heart, so homemade would be fantastic.
If you don't want the carbs, flax meal is about the only thing you can replace oats with that's affordable. And I'm not sure if you'd really enjoy the texture of them.

I have never made any protein bars with flax, but I would imagine you can actually make a tasty granola like bar with it.

I'll buy some shit at the store today and see what I can cook up.

Petrie

Banned
If you don't want the carbs, flax meal is about the only thing you can replace oats with that's affordable. And I'm not sure if you'd really enjoy the texture of them.

I have never made any protein bars with flax, but I would imagine you can actually make a tasty granola like bar with it.

I'll buy some shit at the store today and see what I can cook up.

I'm down to try. I'll grab some flax meal and see what we can do.

Let's own these Quest bitches!

If not flax, ground up nut (almond, peanut, coconut) might work as a base. The problem is how to make it reasonably stable without a glue like honey.

Edit: Actually, it looks like almond paste/butter is the binder in quest bars. Add flax meal for fibers and other goodness, and I think it might work.

Finally going to NYC tomorrow on vacation. Going to head to a GNC and see about more quest bars. I ran out a while ago and the usual ones I get in Canada definitely don't compare!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
2nd day back deadlifting after a year off. Still taking it slow.

5x225
5x225
5x275
5x275
5x325

_Isaac

So a few friends and I tried yoga for the first time about an hour ago. It was a lot more intense than I expected. I actually felt like throwing up. Sweat everywhere. I haven't felt like this from weightlifting in years. I just found it really tiring keeping my body in those positions for so long. God, it was awful.

Also I think I saw a gaffer there. In the gym, not the yoga class.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So a few friends and I tried yoga for the first time about an hour ago. It was a lot more intense than I expected. I actually felt like throwing up. Sweat everywhere. I haven't felt like this from weightlifting in years. I just found it really tiring keeping my body in those positions for so long. God, it was awful.

How on earth would you identify I gaffer? Were they on their phone browsing it?

Cudder

No bullshit, in my gym there are lookalikes of Shogun, Sean, and a couple others. The shogun dude always cracks me up because he's nowhere near as big as our shogun is, but he's got the same bald head and facial features lol.

Kinda freaks me out.

Wednesday:
Front Squat 205x3x3 GO
Bench 195x3x5 5/4/asshole touched the bar
Power Cleans 185x5x3 1/2/2/2/0 I realized I am landing wrong, I will go 90% and fix my landing
Dips Bodyweigth 3xfailure 7/7/7 also realized my shoulders were not breaking my elbows, time to start again

Not quite a productive day, I am still not getting used to lifting after 8PM, but work's been a bitch

despire

The only reason I get annoyed by the constant Quest talk is that I can't get them here. I'm jelly. :mad:

Same here :(

Also regarding the bulking issue and how fast to put on weight. I've been reading on this stuff because I don't want to get fat on my bulk like last time. Anyway Lyle used to recommend ~1lbs/week for men as a good pace. Half of that muscle and half would be fat. Since then he has changed his view and recommends ~1-2lbs/month as a good pace for men afaik.

Did five 225 deep pause squats today after my worksets, never thought I was capable of this shit, felt light even. I only started quarter squating in 2012 with awkward form.

Guyz you can actually get stronger!1!

Don't know if this belongs here, but I'll give it a shot:

Started jogging, and my achilles area is quite sore immediately after starting, during the entire jog, and right after. The soreness is generally manageable at other times. Just got back from a jog and during the first ~2 miles my right leg was on pins and needles from about halfway down the calf through the foot. For some reason it (mostly) cleared up for the duration of the jog.

I'm assuming it's due to the sudden load and that my body will adapt, but is there any indication other than obvious, excruciating pain that I should stop? I know achilles injuries have brutal recovery periods, and I'm trying to figure out at which point the soreness goes beyond "healthy" and verges into dangerous territory.

burnfout

Have you guys ever gotten sick a day after a workout?

Tuesday I worked out like a beast, stronglifts program, 3 compounds, bench, rows, squats.

And yesterday my whole body felt weird, not regular DOMS but worse, like my inner body was hurt/broken, felt really weird. In the evening I started to get a fever and heavy sweating.

Today I feel better but still kinda weird. Didn't feel like a flu. Could it be workout related?

And it tastes like shit.
And doesn't ever mix, at least not any of the shit I ever bought.

Also wtf is wrong with me? The past two weeks I have been lifting at 2-3AM... leaving at 5AM when all the older people show up. I swear every year I lift later and later.

Also I need to buy a fucking belt. There are no more belts at my gym, wtf? Come to think of it, we don't have a complete set of 95 lb and 105lb dumbbells either. WTF DO I TOLERATE THIS. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BREAK DUMBBELLS?

D:

Anyway, belt suggestions? God I should probably just read the OP. Weighted vests would be nice too, or weight belts.

Same here :(

Also regarding the bulking issue and how fast to put on weight. I've been reading on this stuff because I don't want to get fat on my bulk like last time. Anyway Lyle used to recommend ~1lbs/week for men as a good pace. Half of that muscle and half would be fat. Since then he has changed his view and recommends ~1-2lbs/month as a good pace for men afaik.
This. Just aim for .5-2 lbs/wk. Eat comfortably, eat healthy for the most part, and enjoy yourself. You can be strict with macros, but it's not too important unless you're planning to cut for a comp after your bulk.

Not to mention cutting is easy. It really just comes down to how long you want to cut for to get the body you want. But really even the worst bulks can be fixed in like 2 months. Trust me on this.

Mr.City

Sounds like intense yoga. Did you find Nirvana?

Zoe

Don't know if this belongs here, but I'll give it a shot:

Started jogging, and my achilles area is quite sore immediately after starting, during the entire jog, and right after. The soreness is generally manageable at other times. Just got back from a jog and during the first ~2 miles my right leg was on pins and needles from about halfway down the calf through the foot. For some reason it (mostly) cleared up for the duration of the jog.

I'm assuming it's due to the sudden load and that my body will adapt, but is there any indication other than obvious, excruciating pain that I should stop? I know achilles injuries have brutal recovery periods, and I'm trying to figure out at which point the soreness goes beyond "healthy" and verges into dangerous territory.

I would say post to the running thread, but I didn't get much help in there either.

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. I have it where it's just a dull pain until I warm up the area, but there's no way i would keep jogging if it were excruciating.

You need to start stretching your calves better and try using a small ball to roll out your feet. I also have a special compression sock (feetures) that I wear during the day.

Oh man, what a miserable OHP session I just had. Was hoping to get at least 2-3 reps (on my 1+ day) with 67,5 kg (148 lb) but failed my first rep. I changed the weight to 65kg and only managed to do one single rep. I was like what the hell is going on, the last time I hit 5 reps with 65 kg. It was only after that I realized that I had 70 kg on the bar and my first attempt at 67,5kg was actually 72,5 kg. Phew, not regressing as much as I thought but I haven't made any progress in a month either which is a bummer.. I definitely need my deload next week...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, what a miserable OHP session I just had. Was hoping to get at least 2-3 reps (on my 1+ day) with 67,5 kg (148 lb) but failed my first rep. I changed the weight to 65kg and only managed to do one single rep. I was like what the hell is going on, the last time I hit 5 reps with 65 kg. It was only after that I realized that I had 70 kg on the bar and my first attempt at 67,5kg was actually 72,5 kg. Phew, not regressing as much as I thought but I haven't made any progress in a month either which is a bummer.. I definitely need my deload next week...

Next week you will grow! And then you'll smash that plateau!

Yeah, man, that shit is no joke on the first time. I still remember being bribed one morning last summer to try Bikram yoga with a friend. Talk about the longest hour of my life. Was sore, couldn't do half the moves, and by the end not only was I taking more and more breaks, but it looked as though someone had poured gallons and gallons of water on top of me. I felt bad, but thankfully some guy who was clearly dragged by his GF was also there struggling just like me.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
That was awesome, was pretty nervous but I did it all and I am aching a bit so I guess I did it right :D

In regards to the Monday/Wednesday/Friday Routine for noobs, is it cool to do cardio such as swimming on the other days? (If I'm feeling up to the challenge, that is) When I used to swim it really cleared the crap out my lungs from when I had previously quit smoking, but I don't wanna fuck up the routine..

nilbog21

Banned
pack of 12 quest bars are 21$ on gnc.com right now with coupon code (AUGSAV25). i've never had these bars but i've heard a lot about them on this forum, is this a good price?

how are the white chocolate raspberry? that sounds delicious, but sometimes its best to go with chocolate when it comes to protein...

Thinking about getting a box of either Coconut Cashew, Vanilla Almond, Strawberry Cheesecake, or Mixed Berry. What u guys think of these flavors?

EDIT: Or is it better to use this deal? http://slickdeals.net/f/6155016-New-GNC-10-off-20-purchase-in-store-only-valid-thru-8-15

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That was awesome, was pretty nervous but I did it all and I am aching a bit so I guess I did it right :D

In regards to the Monday/Wednesday/Friday Routine for noobs, is it cool to do cardio such as swimming on the other days? (If I'm feeling up to the challenge, that is) When I used to swim it really cleared the crap out my lungs from when I had previously quit smoking, but I don't wanna fuck up the routine..

It's fine to, but try not to overdo it as you will need your rest days, really - especially when starting out. I know you want to add more things but fight that desire for a bit until you get the ball rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom