• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Hello fitgaf,

so i've been working out for about 4 months, and i stopped seeing gains after the third month(just took on fat). Don't know the first thing about fitness, just kinda made my own routine up as I went along.
Currently doing chest/triceps and back/biceps 4 days a week.
also taking Monster mass protein drink 4 scoops a day.

If anyone could recommend to me fitness regimen, and advice on what protein and how muck to use, i would greatly appreciate it.

I'll take a crack at this. What else do you eat in the day? How old are you? How tall are you? What do you weigh? What exercises do you do for those muscle groups?

Right off the top of my head, I'm assuming you are getting nearly 2500 calories and 200+ grams of protein from your monster mass shakes alone.

What do you mean you just stopped seeing gains and took on fat after 3 months?

Cudder

agreed, I am all for posting pics but this is way too "elite" for me :p, better step back and enjoy rather than post some crappy combo breaker.

tom-cruise-laughing.gif

combo breaker crew checking in :(

despire

apparently I don't know enough to even ask.

please ignore my post.

Dude, you were asked to read the OP post(s) before posting any questions because it has all of the info you need. If you can't be bothered to spend 5min reading the OP, why do you think someone would help you? Just read the OP and then come back with questions.

But since I'm bored, I can answer your some of your questions now:
Hello fitgaf,

so i've been working out for about 4 months, and i stopped seeing gains after the third month(just took on fat). Don't know the first thing about fitness, just kinda made my own routine up as I went along.
Currently doing chest/triceps and back/biceps 4 days a week.
also taking Monster mass protein drink 4 scoops a day.

If anyone could recommend to me fitness regimen, and advice on what protein and how muck to use, i would greatly appreciate it.

Your first problem is making your own routine. Beginners should never make their own routines. OP has a routine for you.

You are just focusing on your "beach muscles" but ignoring most of your musculature with that kind of routine. Where's the legs? No wonder you've stopped seeing gains since your routine is pretty shitty. I'm guessing you are not using free weights? Any heavy compound lifts?

Also don't rely on (expensive) mass gainer drinks, instead eat more real quality food. Your results will be better. You should get around 1g/lb of protein, so 200lb dude should get around 200g protein daily.

sphinx

the piano man
combo breaker crew checking in :(

well that's the truth :p (in my case, I mean),

I'd need a sizeable peak on the bicep of the flexed arm and mine are newbie arms, I could try after workout/pump at the gym and experiment with the pose but like I said, it would just be a combo breaker.

fawaz

Banned
Dude, you were asked to read the OP post(s) before posting any questions because it has all of the info you need. If you can't be bothered to spend 5min reading the OP, why do you think someone would help you? Just read the OP and then come back with questions.

Your first problem is making your own routine. Beginners should never make their own routines. OP has a routine for you.

You are just focusing on your "beach muscles" but ignoring most of your musculature with that kind of routine. Where's the legs? No wonder you've stopped seeing gains since your routine is pretty shitty. I'm guessing you are not using free weights? Any heavy compound lifts?

Also don't rely on (expensive) mass gainer drinks, instead eat more real quality food. Your results will be better. You should get around 1g/lb of protein, so 200lb dude should get around 200g protein daily.

well I just saw that there was fitness thread a thought i might get some good advice. Didn't really think this through.
Also i don't do legs because I have an injury in my knee, and the protein i take only has 50g and 600 calories.

So its obvious to me that i need to educate myself first then i am going to comeback here if i need further help.

despire

well I just saw that there was fitness thread a thought i might get some good advice. Didn't really think this through.
Also i don't do legs because I have an injury in my knee, and the protein i take only has 50g and 600 calories.

So its obvious to me that i need to educate myself first then i am going to comeback here if i need further help.

You will get good advice here. I'd say that you are very lucky to stumble here because people give out genuinely good advice. At least that's how I feel. I feel lucky I came in this thread couple of years ago because I've learned so much here.

Anyway the OP is literally packed with solid info you want to read. It will teach you the basics better than any single user can because it's a concentrated form of all our knowledge pooled together. Just read through it once or twice. It should give you a pretty solid idea what this thing we call fitness and lifting weights is all about. The OP will answer your current questions and teach you a lot of new stuff. Afterwards you might have new questions so feel free to ask them.

fawaz

Banned
You will get good advice here. I'd say that you are very lucky to stumble here because people give out genuinely good advice. At least that's how I feel. I feel lucky I came in this thread couple of years ago because I've learned so much here.

Anyway the OP is literally packed with solid info you want to read. It will teach you the basics better than any single user can because it's a concentrated form of all our knowledge pooled together. Just read through it once or twice. It should give you a pretty solid idea what this thing we call fitness and lifting weights is all about. The OP will answer your current questions and teach you a lot of new stuff. Afterwards you might have new questions so feel free to ask them.

ok.

sphinx

the piano man
apparently I don't know enough to even ask.

please ignore my post.

hey there :D welcome!

don't take these responses personal, it's just the kind of tone used around, cudder and despire are nice fellas,

Putting snarky tones aside, the first thing would be to read the OP. I know, it's a long ass intimidating post but it really helps, specially guys like you with some exercise background,

you can consider what you've been doing a good basis to start a new, better program, which you can choose from the OP, there are several of those for beginners.

my advice would be

.- if you haven't started yet, do free weights,
.- even if you don't follow the SS program, you should learn the execution of the main compound exercises (squat, deadlift, press, bench press, power clean) from that book, it is really essential.
.- Do legs, don't be that guy. besides, it's through massive legs that a guy defines his alpha status. Everybody has biceps and chests, but only true kings walk on a pair of powerful legs. (welp, just read about your injury :/ sorry for that)

for starters.

despire

Hey I was trying to be nice :)

And about the lack of leg workout because of the issue with the knee: is it really so serious that you literally can't train your legs at all? You might want to at least try squatting because it's been known to improve peoples knee problems because it strengthens the muscles around the joint.

sphinx

the piano man
Hey I was trying to be nice :)

I know! :D but guys that are new to the thread often take offense when they read stuff like "You routine is pretty shitty" because they aren't used to that particular aspect of the strength/weightlifting/bro/whatever culture, I mean the bluntness and being straightforward. it's just how it is around here.

that's why he shouldn't think you guys are trying to offend him, you are just saying things like they are, no offense has to be taken and he should know every newcomer is welcome here.

And about the lack of leg workout because of the issue with the knee: is it really so serious that you literally can't train your legs at all? You might want to at least try squatting because it's been known to improve peoples knee problems because it strengthens the muscles around the joint.

it's hard to suggest when we don't know the severity of his injury. he should try to get some therapy for that and start squatting slowly with little weight and experimenting with the exercise.

That is, assuming he can perform the motion. If he can't do bodyweight squats (just going down and up again, without a barbell) then there's plenty of preparations to do before he takes on the move.

well that's the truth :p (in my case, I mean),

I'd need a sizeable peak on the bicep of the flexed arm and mine are newbie arms, I could try after workout/pump at the gym and experiment with the pose but like I said, it would just be a combo breaker.

ha, just tried a Zyzz pose photoshooting, wasn't that bad but it's morning here in in Euorpe and I am at my skinniest/cuttest now so I will try again today after workout before I decided whether I like it enough to share.

despire

Hmm, I read my original post again and I was perhaps a bit too blunt in some parts. It can be hard, when all you have to communicate with, is text. It's easy to sound unfriendlier than you mean.

andycapps

1g/lb of protein might be overkill, but a lot of people go by that. I know Martin Berkhan recommends something like .75g/lb.

The past week or so I've been less concerned with "watching what I eat" and eating more calorie dense foods like milk, peanut butter, etc and am feeling much better. I think I wasn't eating enough before and my body was compensating by slowing my metabolism down to try to preserve my energy. I probably wasn't getting enough protein as well because I was so worried about the calories I was taking in with that protein.

despire

1g/lb of protein might be overkill, but a lot of people go by that. I know Martin Berkhan recommends something like .75g/lb.

Yes it might. It' just generally considered to be "enough" although I think higher amounts are recommended as well.

Didn't know about Martin's recommedation being 0,75g/lb. Do you remember where you read it? I'd be interested in confirmation :)

Jesus Christ. So as soon as I get to just losing my last 8lbs to hit my target, I stop losing weight.

4 stone since last January and the last 3 weeks I've been exactly the same weight with only 8 lbs left. I go down the gym 4 mornings a week and practically superset everything, I run twice a week with over 12 miles covered and I swim twice a week completing over 30 lengths each time. I don't take in over 2300 calories a day so how the fuck have I stopped?

So frustrating as I have 6 weeks left to target date.

Any thoughts/advice?

andycapps

Yes it might. It' just generally considered to be "enough" although I think higher amounts are recommended as well.

Didn't know about Martin's recommedation being 0,75g/lb. Do you remember where you read it? I'd be interested in confirmation :)

I've been looking for it and I can't find it right now. I distinctly remember that number being thrown out by him some time back. He really needs to write that book or at least organize his site a little better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had a good workout set last night. I feel reinvigorated! Thanks go to:

Darthwufei - your positive influence is felt, appreciated, and it helps keep lesser beings like myself going in pursuit of the ultimate body.

Had a good workout set last night. I feel reinvigorated! Thanks go to:

Darthwufei - your positive influence is felt, appreciated, and it helps keep lesser beings like myself going in pursuit of the ultimate body.
<3 But Shogun is the real hero here.

That video, damn man.

I had a leg day last night that nearly made me puke... that's cool I guess.

Damn it Shogun.

EDIT: Fark, it's going on my FB.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Impromptu cheat night last night! We found ourselves with all three kids staying the night at grandmas house which means a rare night alone. That meant sushi time! Boy did I eat! Four drinks, countless rolls, a little ice cream! Good stuff. Not an ounce of guilt. Had a tough day in the gym squatting and doing muscle/pull ups so it's all good. :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Impromptu cheat night last night! We found ourselves with all three kids staying the night at grandmas house which means a rare night alone. That meant sushi time! Boy did I eat! Four drinks, countless rolls, a little ice cream! Good stuff. Not an ounce of guilt. Had a tough day in the gym squatting and doing muscle/pull ups so it's all good. :)

You make this sound like it's just DRIPPING with innuendo. "The kids were gone...so I..."

AND your name is COOTER how much more FILTHY can it get?

Went to a different GNC last night, and Quest bars were ringing up at 1.88 a piece, along with buy 3 get the 4th free promo. I'm going to go HAM over there again after work.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Welp.... Signed up to the gym today....start tomorrow

After looking in the OP for the novice.... How long should an actual workout take me?

as in this one here:

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh Sunflower... Maybe I'm just a big Dukes of Hazard fan? ;)

Went to a different GNC last night, and Quest bars were ringing up at 1.88 a piece, along with buy 3 get the 4th free promo. I'm going to go HAM over there again after work.

I'll have to look into this! If a box is now $16.92 I'm gonna buy $200 worth ASAP!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Welp.... Signed up to the gym today....start tomorrow

After looking in the OP for the novice.... How long should an actual workout take me?

as in this one here:

You'll probably be done in 20-30 minutes the first month or so. As weight ramps up, you'll need more time in between sets. Good on you for checking the OP and going through the guidelines for beginners! Ego gets in the way of a lot of people starting out and it's a recipe for failure.

You WILL finish quickly and you WILL feel like you can keep going. Don't keep going. Stick to your routine, stick to ramping up weights every workout - before you know it, you'll be doing massive numbers. Keep the faith, and remember rest days are as important as workout days!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
You'll probably be done in 20-30 minutes the first month or so. As weight ramps up, you'll need more time in between sets.

You WILL finish quickly and you WILL feel like you can keep going. Don't keep going. Stick to your routine, stick to ramping up weights every workout - before you know it, you'll be doing massive numbers. Keep the faith, and remember rest days are as important as workout days!

Okay, thanks mate :)

wish me luck!

Szu

I'm going to hit every GNC on my way home.

White Chocolate Raspberry, your sweet ass is mine!!!!

I'm going to hit every GNC on my way home.

White Chocolate Raspberry, your sweet ass is mine!!!!
I tried this yesterday, sooooo freaking good!

So with a gold card and buy 3 get 1 free they are just under 17 bucks? Is that what you pay online too?
I don't have a gold card and bought 12 assorted Quest bars and my total was 16.97 including taxes. I like this option instead of being kind of limited to what I get in one box, keeps the tastebuds fresh.

I'm venturing in here for the first time and I looked over the OP, but it didn't answer the question that stops me from actually getting out there and trying.

How do I know how much weight to use for the exercises?

Silly as it sounds, this lack of knowledge has been preventing me from trying to weightlift for years. I guess I'm afraid of either trying too much and hurting myself, or not trying enough and it being a waste of time.

As requested in the OP, here are my stats.

Height: 6'2
Weight: 197
Goal: Reduce fat and have visible muscles
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: I have some hand weights that go up to 20 pounds. I'm considering joining a gym though, in order to do the basic routine that's suggested in the OP.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm venturing in here for the first time and I looked over the OP, but it didn't answer the question that stops me from actually getting out there and trying.

Silly as it sounds, this lack of knowledge has been preventing me from trying to weightlift for years. I guess I'm afraid of either trying too much and hurting myself, or not trying enough and it being a waste of time.

Current Training Equipment Available: I have some hand weights that go up to 20 pounds. I'm considering joining a gym though, in order to do the basic routine that's suggested in the OP.

Thanks.

How do you know where to start? Start low and do linear progression - that is, every visit to the gym, you add 5-10% weight to your lifts you did last time. 10% is the usual for legs, 5% for upper body, but in the beginning, you will need to cherish these low totals as they will vanish quickly.

Whatever you think you can lift, go LOWER. I mean LOWER. Hell - start with just the bar. No weights. Work on form. That's my advice. Perfect form, add weights as you go, and before you know it you'll be putting up bigger numbers and truly feeling it, AND have a grasp of what you're capable of. Enjoy the new period while you can!

Thanks.

Well, for the basic program in the op that's adapted from the book "starting strength," there's a link to The Starting Strength Wiki (This link should probably be way more prominent in the next thread's op). The page linked to contains sections titled "What weight should I start with during the first week?" and "how much weight should I add from workout to workout?"

I believe that the actual book's biggest advantage over the wiki is that the book has way more detailed descriptions of the movements to help you understand what every bit of your anatomy does to contribute.

THE ALTERNATIVE COMPOUND LIFTS FIRST-WORKOUT DECISION: Just start with an empty barbell and add weight from there at the recommended pace for each lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom