• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptic

lower the safety bars a notch. you'll be able to tell when you used to hit the bars. imo it's not safe to have the barbell bump anything while it's loaded with plates.

Yeah, I'm worried about that too but unfortunately the safety bars aren't movable as they're part of the squat rack.

Kind of like this:
50140-500px.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God: OK, now I'll work on the Asians. Let's see what haven't I played with in the options settings. Oh yeah, age. I'll set you guys to slow.

Asians: Yay!!!

God: OK, slow aging and development.

Asians: Wait a sec, development?

God: Oh yeah, you guys won't get age as fast and you won't get taller or bigger in general.

Asians: But that's not right.

God: Hmmm, ok, tell you what, I make you guys smarter. Is that fine?

Asians: Cool!!!

God: Good, bigger brains and smaller penises, it is.

Asians: What?

I laughed way too hard at this.

I'm not feeling like I'm reaching full depth, but then the barbell hits the safety bar telling me it's time to lift out of the squat.

Like you were told, lower the safety bars; bouncing the weight like that is a recipe for disaster. As for lowering the weight for deeper squats, I'm a big fan of this. I'd rather have a lower weight squat and have it be deeper. (more muscle recruitment and it just looks more badass, especially next to the 1/4 rep guys).

Yeah, I'm worried about that too but unfortunately the safety bars aren't movable as they're part of the squat rack.

Kind of like this:
50140-500px.jpg

Try looking again, if it's an enclosed rack like that, those bars should move. If not, you might not be going deep enough AND you're putting yourself at risk.

If the bar was uncomfortable your form was probably less correct than you think
or you need to harden up ;)
. Even when I was skin and bones I was able to tighten my upper back enough to suitably pad and support the bar during either high bar or low bar squats. Make sure your scapulae are fully retracted, your traps and rear delts are tight and your head is back to engage the spinal erectors along the neck. Unless your good-morning-ing the weight as you come back up or have the bar in the wrong spot there shouldn't be an issue.

You shouldn't use the pad because it shifts the bar off your centre of gravity, decreases force transfer between yourself and the bar and impedes overall tightness and support of the bar. Basically, you will be weaker and face a higher chance of losing control of the bar or having it shift out of position, which means a higher chance of injury.

Time to go back to the bar then. Me and my friend had our form double checked by one of the personal trainers there and he said it was all good. I'll just have to get used to it more.

Yeah no barbell tampons, it's just a bad habit and it's not very stable. Are you doing high bar? I found high bar to be uncomfortable too at heavy weights until I developed some muscle in my traps and back in general. Low bar was much more comfortable though so that is an option if you're not doing it already.

I'm doing high bar, I'll check out low bar though if that's an alternative.

I've never cringed like that before, thank you.

Oh, also, I've been doing this routine for a month and two weeks so far.
i'm new to all this

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Time to go back to the bar then. Me and my friend had our form double checked by one of the personal trainers there and he said it was all good. I'll just have to get used to it more.

Two things to consider: there's a chance that a PT at a commercial gym isn't going to know exactly what to look for in a squat, and tightness of the back/neck musculature is one of the more difficult elements of the lift to assess visually anyway. Pay attention to getting as much tightness in your upper back as you can and as you put on weight the shelf supporting the bar will grow. This goes for high bar squats too - the bar should be on your traps, not your neck.

Sup, I've been training for 2 weeks at home (currently an hypertrophy workout) whith a set of dumbbells, a barbell and up to 60kgs.

I used to do my whole workout in about an hour or so but sometimes I end really fatigued and many times I can't even finnish it because of me having to do other thing about personal life and whatever.

So I tried spreading my workout throughout the whole day where I could train different muscular grops per session. Say first biceps, 2 hours later back or legs, then shoulders.

I felt like I was training with more intensity and felt less fatigued... is this good or bad, will I get better results like this?

I don't know much about how the muscles work but I think it might be good aslong as they're different muscles.

Sorry for sloppy english, I'm not an english speaker and I might be drunk now

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Get rid of the almonds. Leangains turned me away from nuts and it's helped me cut tremendously.

I've been having a lot of almonds lately and noticed my fat loss plateauing. GET OUTTA HERE ALMONDS! Might be the key.

SeanR1221

do you eat back your calories from exercise? I do and it's fucking great. On off days I legit contemplate going to the gym just so I can burn more calories that I can eat. :|

on lifting/cardio days it's fine for me, though.

Sometimes but I don't go oberboard. Today I ate an extra quest bar because I was starving around 8. So satisfied now.

I've been doing cardio everyday. Even if its just the elliptical for 30 minutes. Lets hope this all pays off.

Davidion

Finally crossed 100lbs x 5 reps on military presses. Immediately had to go back down to 95 for the next two sets. It's a start though. I feel like my core strength is holding me back on this.

Pavaloo

Finally incorporated some cardio in my routine today. First day of couch to 5k went great! Did it after lifting and it was so easy! I had such a hard time with running in PE in high school so it was nice to see my improved body handling this other form of fitness well.

My numbers are going up still, I'm eating at a deficit, and I'm doing cardio.. hopefully I can keep all of this up #cutting. It is pretty awesome that I can eat a bunch more now since I went for a run.

cryptic

Like you were told, lower the safety bars; bouncing the weight like that is a recipe for disaster. As for lowering the weight for deeper squats, I'm a big fan of this. I'd rather have a lower weight squat and have it be deeper. (more muscle recruitment and it just looks more badass, especially next to the 1/4 rep guys).

Try looking again, if it's an enclosed rack like that, those bars should move. If not, you might not be going deep enough AND you're putting yourself at risk.

Thanks. Hearing you say that about a deeper squat kind of reinforces my beliefs that what I'm doing is right, despite being surrounded by 1/4 squatters putting up 315. My legs also feel less no soreness today around the teardrop, which was an area I had issue with in the past; I've posted about it.

I'll check the cage again but it's this real weird one where the safety bar is more like a solid metal beam that you could vault off than a safety bar.

Yeah, it's a half rack, the image linking is blocked but it's seen here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126624063&page=1.
Anyone experienced with such a thing?

Also, what is TRX?
The machine showed up in my gym a few months ago and it's weird and seems' worthless. pic of my gym and what the thing is:
733838_489511914439101_579403666_n.jpg

Why did they get that when we don't have any unassisted pullup bars? I have managed to get by thus far by turning the smith machine into a dedicated pullup bar by lifting the bar high as it goes, but they would be nice to have.

Cagey

Banned
I've been having a lot of almonds lately and noticed my fat loss plateauing. GET OUTTA HERE ALMONDS! Might be the key.

Leangains:
Nuts, protein bars and dried fruit

Nuts in all their various forms are the most overrated and overhyped foods in the “health conscious” community. Just because it’s a natural food doesn’t mean it’s all that diet friendly or even healthy for that matter.

Packing a higher calorie density than chocolate, it’s no big mystery that people easily overdo it with nuts. Some people rationalize a high nut consumption by saying it’s a healthy and natural snack, but this is wrong. Nuts contain an incomplete amino acid profile and consist mostly of plant fats. The westernized diet is already highly unbalanced in the omega 3: omega 6-ratio—the polyunsaturated fats from nuts certainly won’t help.

Optimize the fat composition of your diet by kicking nuts to the curb and add more fish, that’s my recommendation. You’ll be more satiated and healthier to boot.

Meh. All it says is that you can do better. Well, I don't have the time or money to add more fish.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So check this out. In 3 months I have put on mass while maintaining a low bf%. My lifts up huge. I'm 190 now. It surprises me because I only take one day and one night to cheat. The other 5 days of the week I fast all day and eat about 2000 calories. Numbers:

DB bench-150s x 5
BB bench- 315 x 5
Squat- 365 x 5
Weighted pull ups- 75x7
OHP- 185 x 4

I only state these to illustrate a concern of mine. I'm 33 and I worry about tears and strains. Wanted to get opinions from the usuals.

moocow

Took a week off from the gym because I needed a rest and because last week was hectic. First day back and I had to cut my workout short because I felt like I was about to pass out.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This wrist splint has forced me to almost exclusively use my left (non-dominant) hand for nearly everything, save writing. To my surprise, I'm pretty damn capable with it. Decent strength and dexterity.

Two things to consider: there's a chance that a PT at a commercial gym isn't going to know exactly what to look for in a squat, and tightness of the back/neck musculature is one of the more difficult elements of the lift to assess visually anyway. Pay attention to getting as much tightness in your upper back as you can and as you put on weight the shelf supporting the bar will grow. This goes for high bar squats too - the bar should be on your traps, not your neck.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow and report back with how it goes.

Srsly

Banned
Does anyone have a general idea of how much TDEE increases while doing heavy resistance training (i.e. starting strength)?

I've read numerous studies where they measure REE before and after resistance training for a while, and the difference isn't that much and is pretty much entirely accounted for increases in LBM. A lb of muscle burns roughly 6 kcals per day at rest whereas a lb of fat burns 2 cals, so the bost in REE from adding 20 lbs of muscle is roughly 120 kcals per day.

But, the problem with these studies is that they almost invariably only measure REE before and after completion of a resistance training program. For example, REE is measured 10 days before the program starts and 10 days after. What I'm wondering is how TDEE actually increases while actively training. I've seen other studies that look at EE during resistance training workouts and the amount of kcals metabolized during the workout is pretty mediocre. Sometimes they look at excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, which can result in a minor, but statistically significant, increase in REE in the hours following a workout. However, I think these studies and the ones that look at REE before and after completing a workout program miss the picture. They don't account for calories and protein lost and needed for catabolism and anabolism. They don't account for improved insulin and leptin sensitivity (in overweight and obese) people which can increase energy expenditure. They don't account for improved sleep that accompanies physically demanding workouts, which can increase energy expenditure.

Anecdotally, my TDEE increases by at least several hundred kcals / day just from incorporating 30 minutes of intense weight training into my daily schedule. Squats, especially, cause my metabolism to spike quite nicely for a few days. According to calorie counters, these workout should only increase my TDEE by a few hundred kcals per day, at most. Am I the only one who sees a large increase in TDEE, one much larger than would be expected, when doing heavy resistance training?

despire

Today was Deadlift day and it's the 3rd week of my first cycle of 5/3/1. And I only got 1 rep on the last set which is kind of a bummer. I was hoping for more. I started with my 90% 1RM (calculated) so I thought I should've been able to get more. Though I'm now not sure if the calculated 1RM is accurate.

Though I didn't eat so well on the weekend since I didn't have an opporturnity to eat properly at my grandparents..

SeanR1221

I seriously wouldn't beat myself up over calories. Hit the gym hard. Eat good. Don't eat a ton of carbs. Cut the fruit. Cut the nuts. Get rid of cheat days. And don't give a fuck about calories. It's worked very well with minimal frustration for me.

HX29Fmt.jpg

I'd like to have that attitude, but when I was putting on weight with 2400 calories and 2 cheat meals a week it makes me think my BMR is fucked. But we'll see. Haven't been eating nuts or fruit, and my usual macro breakdown is 45% protein and then carbs and fat are between the 25-30 range

theytookourjobz

I'd like to have that attitude, but when I was putting on weight with 2400 calories and 2 cheat meals a week it makes me think my BMR is fucked. But we'll see. Haven't been eating nuts or fruit, and my usual macro breakdown is 45% protein and then carbs and fat are between the 25-30 range

I know plenty of people are big on cheat meals but when I cut them out completely, I saw more results.

Szu

So check this out. In 3 months I have put on mass while maintaining a low bf%. My lifts up huge. I'm 190 now. It surprises me because I only take one day and one night to cheat. The other 5 days of the week I fast all day and eat about 2000 calories. Numbers:

DB bench-150s x 5
BB bench- 315 x 5
Squat- 365 x 5
Weighted pull ups- 75x7
OHP- 185 x 4

I only state these to illustrate a concern of mine. I'm 33 and I worry about tears and strains. Wanted to get opinions from the usuals.

Cooter, you're numbers are phenomenal.

You only live once. I wouldn't worry about tears and strains, but also keep them in the back of your mind.

Today was Deadlift day and it's the 3rd week of my first cycle of 5/3/1. And I only got 1 rep on the last set which is kind of a bummer. I was hoping for more. I started with my 90% 1RM (calculated) so I thought I should've been able to get more. Though I'm now not sure if the calculated 1RM is accurate.

Though I didn't eat so well on the weekend since I didn't have an opporturnity to eat properly at my grandparents..
For deadlift that is absolutely fine and right where you should be. (someone posted a goal for 5/3/1 reps earlier in this thread).

However, do not use a calculated 1RM. That's a good way to mess up the programming. Do a proper test of your 1RM or start from somewhere you know you can do. Wendler says your 1RM is not what you think you can do or what you did last summer once. It's what you can do right now for sure.

despire

For deadlift that is absolutely fine and right where you should be. (someone posted a goal for 5/3/1 reps earlier in this thread).

However, do not use a calculated 1RM. That's a good way to mess up the programming. Do a proper test of your 1RM or start from somewhere you know you can do. Wendler says your 1RM is not what you think you can do or what you did last summer once. It's what you can do right now for sure.

Good to know.

I think it would've been smarter to actually try my true 1RM on every lift. Instead I used the formula in the 5/3/1 book to calculate it.

SeanR1221

I know plenty of people are big on cheat meals but when I cut them out completely, I saw more results.

I do feel a heck of a lot less bloated from the weekends. So they've helped that.

I do drink 1/2 cut of OJ twice a day to mix my supplements in (getting my blood sugar up for creatine/ neutralizing the taste of citrulline). Part of me thinks I should drop that...

---

Here's another preworkout deal

http://touch2.groupon.com/deals/gg-...rral&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=uu22414549

ToxicAdam

At a resort in Orlando. 12 x 12 Fitness room, with 2 treadmills and a flat bench and a small rack of dumbbells. Gonna get swole up in here.

Good to know.

I think it would've been smarter to actually try my true 1RM on every lift. Instead I used the formula in the 5/3/1 book to calculate it.
Yeah I find it odd that Wendler tells you in his book not to use calculated and then later he gives you the formula to calculate it. o_O But those calculations are notoriously inaccurate.

ezrarh

Good to know.

Did you base all your numbers on the 100% calculation or did you drop the 1RM number by 10%? I believe it's recommended that you drop everything by 10% and base your numbers off that.

Dash27

It says that intermittent fasting or Paleozoic etc are a bad idea while doing SS. What do you guys think? Does it really matter if you're getting enough calories and protein?

When I did SS my nutrition rules were:

1. Eat enough calories.
2. Get enough protein.

If you want to go beyond that and do Paleo or Zone or whatever it's fine so long as the above are met. It will be tougher though. I did gain fat for sure, but my squat also went through the roof compared to where I started. If I had to do it again I might cut down on the Smashburgers a bit, but just a bit ;)

andycapps

I eat a couple mangos a week and usually have an apple every day for a snack. I highly doubt I'm over my calorie limit anyway since I'm on SS. If anything, I feel like I'm not getting enough. Really hard to hit those calories while eating clean if I'm not eating fruit or doing GOMAD. I'm having a hard time deciding what way to go right now with my workout plan and how I eat but I'm going to the Caribbean in 3 months and am wanting to look good. I'm not wanting to bulk.

Veezy

que?
Yeah I find it odd that Wendler tells you in his book not to use calculated and then later he gives you the formula to calculate it. o_O But those calculations are notoriously inaccurate.
What he says is to not use an estimate of your 1RM. If you only do reps, like most people who come from novice programming, he gives a calculation for figuring out the approximate amount. Regardless, you start the program at 10% less than that number, so either way you're underestimating.

It's important if you're progressing from SS or GSLP to 5/3/1 that you drop down the 10% from the formula, since you will be doing a lot of accessory work that your body is not used to. (that's not directed at you, just in case somebody asks why you start lower) Compare to Texas Method where you don't cut back too much, but the SHEER FUCKING VOLUME of lifts you're doing means you won't be doing shit for accessory work.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

DB bench-150s x 5
BB bench- 315 x 5
Squat- 365 x 5
Weighted pull ups- 75x7
OHP- 185 x 4

I wouldn't be concerned, unless you start getting odd "aches" I'd say you're fine. Enjoy the gains and ride the wave, but keep an eye on how your joints feel. That's what I would do. Also if you're not doing it now, incorporate prehab into your routine.

I say this being in the same boat as you (I'm 32)
Is there anything I can take for a big burst in strength right before a work out? Is spinach any good?

Popeye swears by it.

You only got 1 rep on your 3rd cycle?

You need to dial back that training max a lot. It does sound like you definitely miscalculated your 1RM. Do 80% of what you think your 1rm is and go for a rep max, use that to calculate your 1RM and get a training max from that (80-90% of that number).

No, calculated 1RM is fine, and potentially preferable. Wendler goes into great detail on using a rep max to establish a training max, right after the paraphrased quote you typed. And I disagree, 1 rep for his 3rd cycle is not where he should be at all IMO. He should still be banging out reps.

He doesn't say to not use a estimated 1RM from my recollection. He says the opposite.

Also, here's the rest of the Wendler quote from the book.
If you don’t know your maxes for any of the lifts, you can take a few days and see where you’re at, or you can take a rep max. This is a good way to get an idea of your strength without loading the bar for a maximal attempt. Here’s how to do it:
• Estimate your 1RM for the lift. If you can’t even do this, you probably shouldn’t be doing this program.
• Take 80% or 85% of your supposed max and perform as many reps as possible.
• Plug the reps and the weight into this formula to get your estimated 1RM:Weight x Reps x .0333 + Weight = Estimated 1RM Once you have your maxes for each lift (bench, squat, deadlift and standing military press), I want you to take 90% of this number and use this as your “max” for the first 4 weeks of the training cycle. The easiest way to do this is to take your max and multiply it by .9

theytookourjobz

DB bench-150s x 5
BB bench- 315 x 5
Squat- 365 x 5
Weighted pull ups- 75x7
OHP- 185 x 4

Take the fuck out of fish oil and just make sure you warm up a lot. As long as you're lifting with good form you'll be fine. I know plenty of guys older than you that lift heavy as shit. You just have to know your limits and not do the dumb shit that you can get away with when you're young.

Mully

Trying to program a 3 day 5/3/1 is pretty difficult if you want 3 days to do cardio.

Here's what I have so far, feel free to tell me this is silly.

Sunday: OHP + Deadlift
Monday: Long Distance
Tuesday: Bench + HIIT
Wednesday: Conditioning
Thursday: Off
Friday: Squat
Saturday: Light Distance

Veezy

que?
Trying to program a 3 day 5/3/1 is pretty difficult if you want 3 days to do cardio.

Here's what I have so far, feel free to tell me this is silly.

Sunday: OHP + Deadlift
Monday: Long Distance
Tuesday: Bench + HIIT
Wednesday: Conditioning
Thursday: Off
Friday: Squat
Saturday: Light Distance

Why not just do it the way that Wendler has it laid out? You do the lifts in the same order, you just rotate the lifts through three days instead of four. So Monday Squat, Wednesday Bench, Friday Deads, next Monday Press. Throw your conditioning in whenever you'd like.

On your deload week, go ahead and double up on two of the exercises with reduced volume that day.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why not just do it the way that Wendler has it laid out? You do the lifts in the same order, you just rotate the lifts through three days instead of four. So Monday Squat, Wednesday Bench, Friday Deads, next Monday Press. Throw your conditioning in whenever you'd like.

On your deload week, go ahead and double up on two of the exercises with reduced volume that day.

Yep, all it does is add 1 week to the cycle.

Cudder

I do feel a heck of a lot less bloated from the weekends. So they've helped that.

I do drink 1/2 cut of OJ twice a day to mix my supplements in (getting my blood sugar up for creatine/ neutralizing the taste of citrulline). Part of me thinks I should drop that...

---

Here's another preworkout deal

http://touch2.groupon.com/deals/gg-...rral&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=uu22414549
I though OJ was one of the "never mix creatine with this drink" drinks? Too acidic and it breaks the creatine down in the cup before it even gets in you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
New protein cake recipe.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/spiced-orange-protein-cake/

I'll likely do Sunday, Wednesday, Friday. I got so caught up with other suggestions, I forgot the most obvious option.

I'm actually going from 2x a week to this same template using periodization assistance template. I will see how that fits in my schedule before attempting to go back to 4x a week.

I though OJ was one of the "never mix creatine with this drink" drinks? Too acidic and it breaks the creatine down in the cup before it even gets in you.

That's bullshit. Think about it, the acid in your stomach is way more potent.

Szu

Take the fuck out of fish oil and just make sure you warm up a lot. As long as you're lifting with good form you'll be fine. I know plenty of guys older than you that lift heavy as shit. You just have to know your limits and not do the dumb shit that you can get away with when you're young.

Well, at least not at the gym.

SeanR1221

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom