• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some advice on what kind of workout/diet routine to put together. I've read a fair bit around the internet, etc. but I'm honestly overwhelmed by all of the contradicting info.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 225
Goal: lower Body Fat%, lose gut, strength, flexibility, endurance, general health
Current Training Schedule: very sporadic, fool around on weight machines at gym, have started trying out some SS things, have flip-flopped on and off a beginner 5k program
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
Comments:

Ever since my employment has transitioned to being almost 100% at a computer which seems to have compounded after getting married. I've just been stacking on weight, mainly in my gut. At this point I have transitioned over to eating mostly clean, whole food during the week with the occasional cheat bacon cheeseburger or taco bell in there. No sugary foods, no sodas. I've even cut out diet sodas for the most part and drink unsweetened tea/coffee and water all day with maybe a diet soda with lunch.

It seems like the next thing I'll have to change is cutting out the shitload of beer I drink every weekend, haha. That seems like it's just a huge source of empty calories coming in. I also eat a bunch of garbage on the weekend.

What I'm looking to accomplish is pretty basic general health stuff. I'd like to be pretty well rounded and be able to run, lift weights, flexibility, sports all at a decent level. Aesthetic improvements are obviously welcome as well :)

I have access to the gym but generally would rather do what I can at home so any advice on setting up a home gym is appreciated. I can probably afford to get one of the cheaper power racks that are on Amazon or something if anybody has advice with those.

Thanks if you took the time to read/respond to this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looking for some advice on what kind of workout/diet routine to put together. I've read a fair bit around the internet, etc. but I'm honestly overwhelmed by all of the contradicting info.

Goal: lower Body Fat%, lose gut, strength, flexibility, endurance, general health
Current Training Schedule: very sporadic, fool around on weight machines at gym, have started trying out some SS things, have flip-flopped on and off a beginner 5k program
Comments:

Ever since my employment has transitioned to being almost 100% at a computer which seems to have compounded after getting married. I've just been stacking on weight, mainly in my gut. At this point I have transitioned over to eating mostly clean, whole food during the week with the occasional cheat bacon cheeseburger or taco bell in there. No sugary foods, no sodas. I've even cut out diet sodas for the most part and drink unsweetened tea/coffee and water all day with maybe a diet soda with lunch.

It seems like the next thing I'll have to change is cutting out the shitload of beer I drink every weekend, haha. That seems like it's just a huge source of empty calories coming in. I also eat a bunch of garbage on the weekend.

What I'm looking to accomplish is pretty basic general health stuff. I'd like to be pretty well rounded and be able to run, lift weights, flexibility, sports all at a decent level. Aesthetic improvements are obviously welcome as well :)

I have access to the gym but generally would rather do what I can at home so any advice on setting up a home gym is appreciated. I can probably afford to get one of the cheaper power racks that are on Amazon or something if anybody has advice with those.

Read the op.

As for making your own gym.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/are-home-gyms-cheaper-than-commercial-gyms/

Thanks for the link!, I'll read that now.

I did read the OP but I'm still not exactly clear. I didn't come in looking for a free trainer level program or anything but I'm trying to get a better idea.

After reading the OP would you suggest just jumping in with something like the Practical Programming program?

I may have missed it but I didn't see much about cardio in there. Does anybody mix in cardio on their off days or anything?

CrankyJay

Banned

I did read the OP but I'm still not exactly clear. I didn't come in looking for a free trainer level program or anything but I'm trying to get a better idea.

After reading the OP would you suggest just jumping in with something like the Practical Programming program?

I may have missed it but I didn't see much about cardio in there. Does anybody mix in cardio on their off days or anything?

I did last year and it really was a difference maker in losing an extra pound a week.

Cutting back on the booze will help too.

Szu

I do cardio every workout. On my lifting days, I just so a quick 5 minute jog or elliptical to raise my heartrate. After my workout, I do 10-15 minutes at a steady low intensity.

On my non-lifting days, I do about 45 mins to 1 hour of cardio.

Ekdrm2d1

Also, what is TRX?
The machine showed up in my gym a few months ago and it's weird and seems' worthless. pic of my gym and what the thing is:
733838_489511914439101_579403666_n.jpg

Why did they get that when we don't have any unassisted pullup bars? I have managed to get by thus far by turning the smith machine into a dedicated pullup bar by lifting the bar high as it goes, but they would be nice to have.

Suspension Training.

TRX is not worthless, I would google to see what it's about. Find a trainer and get going!
My mom was about to get certified? in the TRX system. She ordered one for the gym studio, got it installed but never really did anything with it. Now my PT and I sometimes use it. You can do hardcore upper body workouts with it (amongst other things.)

Just copy/pasted from their website. I'm sure there's millions of other blogs/reviews about it.
http://www.trxtraining.com/suspension-training
WORKOUT USING THE TRX SUSPENSION TRAINER

The TRX Suspension Trainer is the original, best-in-class workout system that leverages gravity and your bodyweight to perform hundreds of exercises. You're in control of how much you want to challenge yourself on each exercise - because you can simply adjust your body position to add or decrease resistance.

The TRX Suspension Trainer:

Delivers a fast, effective total-body workout
Helps build a rock-solid core
Increases muscular endurance
Benefits people of all fitness levels (pro athletes to seniors)
Can be set-up anywhere (gym, home, hotel or outside)

By utilizing your own bodyweight, the TRX Suspension Trainer provides greater performance and functionality than large exercise machines costing thousands of dollars.

USED BY TRAINERS, ATHLETES AND THE U.S.MILITARY

Thousands of people at all fitness levels now train on the TRX: From everyday people who just want to feel and look their best to some of the world's most elite athletes. The TRX is used routinely by all four branches of the military, and can be found in the locker rooms of:

Major League Baseball teams
National League Baseball teams
UFC fighters
Olympic-level cyclists, swimmers & runners

I hear lots of people in the military use it considering it's so easy to hookup and to use. Just gotta loop the straps in and go

etc. (too many cool pictures to post, don't want to be annoying lol )

Edit: I'm a noob, don't "really" know what I'm talking about. My mom is a PT and I have my own PT. Plus I read this thread daily. I'm learning! :lol

sphinx

the piano man
I do cardio every workout. On my lifting days, I just so a quick 5 minute jog or elliptical to raise my heartrate. After my workout, I do 10-15 minutes at a steady low intensity.

On my non-lifting days, I do about 45 mins to 1 hour of cardio.

same here, plus some stretching and it feels great.

I can't understand people who neglect or look down on cardio.

Szu

Also, what is TRX?
The machine showed up in my gym a few months ago and it's weird and seems' worthless. pic of my gym and what the thing is:
733838_489511914439101_579403666_n.jpg

Why did they get that when we don't have any unassisted pullup bars? I have managed to get by thus far by turning the smith machine into a dedicated pullup bar by lifting the bar high as it goes, but they would be nice to have.

I have it in my gym too. I use it mainly for various core workouts, but I do occasionally use the suspension for some supplemental upper body work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys! I'll load up on fish oil and start some prehab. Whatever that is after I research it. ;)

CrankyJay

Banned
I say this being in the same boat as you (I'm 32)

You make me feel better...33 here. Definitely tougher for me to hit the gym > 3 times a week with a baby now. So I cut out the cardio.

Looking forward for the weather to break so I can just take baby on walks.

Lately I've been doing house chores while wearing her with my baby bjorn...haha.

despire

Did you base all your numbers on the 100% calculation or did you drop the 1RM number by 10%? I believe it's recommended that you drop everything by 10% and base your numbers off that.

I calculated my supposed 1RM and took 10% off. Though I didn't do it just like Wendler said though I apparently should have. I just took the weight I can do now and how many reps and used the formula. I didn't take 80% off my supposed 1RM and try that for reps. Most of the online calculators gave roughly the same number so I figured it was ok.

You only got 1 rep on your 3rd cycle?

You need to dial back that training max a lot. It does sound like you definitely miscalculated your 1RM. Do 80% of what you think your 1rm is and go for a rep max, use that to calculate your 1RM and get a training max from that (80-90% of that number).

It's my 1st cycle..

And I think the calculated 1RM was way off the charts. I thought it sounded like too much and this just proves it. Even though I took 10% off like Wendler said.

So what should I do now? Should I take 10% of the weight I lifted today for 1 rep and treat it as a new training max starting from next cycle? What about other lifts? I got 3 reps with the OHP but I haven't done bench or squats yet. Is it safe to assume that their maxes are as much off as the DL max is?

I guess the smart thing to do is calculate new maxes for all lifts based on what I do this week, take 10% off of them and start over? I could off course just continue but I think the smart thing to do is deload now and enjoy longer gains..?

Veezy

que?
Right. OK, just had to ask :p

Hmm, good question/point. Easy to affix rings anywhere? One of the points about the TRX is the ease of installation. The TRX straps are adjustable, not sure about rings.

Sure are. Check these bad boys out.

If you can find something to hang them on, they're good to go and really easy to adjust to any high. Not great for, like, actual gymnastics, but they're fantastic for any sort of body weight training (this is the set I have at my home).

Ekdrm2d1

Sure are. Check these bad boys out.

If you can find something to hang them on, they're good to go and really easy to adjust to any high. Not great for, like, actual gymnastics, but they're fantastic for any sort of body weight training (this is the set I have at my home).

wow, those look nice. Different than the gymnastic world :p

Wonder what benefits the TRX offers that the rings doesn't.

Good posting, thanks for sharing.

Veezy

que?
wow, those look nice. Different than the gymnastic world :p

Wonder what benefits the TRX offers that the rings doesn't.

Good posting, thanks for sharing.

TRX is going to be easier on the hands since they're (generally) padded and straight across. So, for push ups or pull ups they'll (maybe) be better. However, rings are easier to transition into other gymnast movements due to their design.

Whatever's cheaper and lasts longer is probably better.

Ekdrm2d1

TRX is going to be easier on the hands since they're (generally) padded and straight across. So, for push ups or pull ups they'll (maybe) be better. However, rings are easier to transition into other gymnast movements due to their design.

Whatever's cheaper and lasts longer is probably better.

Gotcha. That makes sense :thumbup:

No, calculated 1RM is fine, and potentially preferable. Wendler goes into great detail on using a rep max to establish a training max, right after the paraphrased quote you typed. And I disagree, 1 rep for his 3rd cycle is not where he should be at all IMO. He should still be banging out reps.

He doesn't say to not use a estimated 1RM from my recollection. He says the opposite.

Also, here's the rest of the Wendler quote from the book.
Oops, guess I misread the part about calculated 1RM's.

Regarding only get 1 rep, someone posted a quote from him in this thread (that I admittedly can't find now) where he says that if you're able to get more than 1 rep on your "1 set" for deadlift then you need to add 20 lbs instead of the recommended 10.

Feels good to be back in the gym after a week of drinking and drinking at pcb.
But I want to incorporate some kind of beginners yoga training in my day.
Does anyone know a place/website where I could get some good info on yoga
and where I should begin?
Also, if you have some advice please post !!

blackflag

Get rid of the almonds. Leangains turned me away from nuts and it's helped me cut tremendously.

Why cut the nuts? I need the fat. I need at least a little bit. Only getting like 20-30g a day. Because of my circumstances fat isn't that important anymore but I still need a bit. I could just go with the coconut oil and I always get like 4g fish oil a day.

Why are almonds bad now?

Why cut the nuts? I need the fat. I need at least a little bit. Only getting like 20-30g a day. Because of my circumstances fat isn't that important anymore but I still need a bit. I could just go with the coconut oil and I always get like 4g fish oil a day.

Why are almonds bad now?
I don't think they're bad. They're just calorie dense and for someone looking to get the most out of their allotted calories it can be counter productive.

Mayyhem

Do you guys think I should continue to lift if I have minor scoliosis? (bit of a rib hump on the left side of my back) I'm worried all this lifting + having this condition is going to worsen things for my when I get older. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid?

Do you guys think I should continue to lift if I have minor scoliosis? (bit of a rib hump on the left side of my back) I'm worried all this lifting + having this condition is going to worsen things for my when I get older. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid?

There are definitely ways in which a combination of stretching and lifting benefits scoliosis.... I don't know what they are or who wouldbe qualified to say.

Mayyhem

There are definitely ways in which a combination of stretching and lifting benefits scoliosis.... I don't know what they are or who wouldbe qualified to say.

I've heard this as well. It gives me no pain, and its not noticeable unless I'm very closely examined. I guess I should visit a chiropractor or something to get an idea of what I should be doing to treat it.

Thanks though :)

theytookourjobz

Well they are there more as a mental break than a performance enhancer, unless you're on a diet which uses them to carb up or get a quick calorie boost.

Totally get that. But I also get annoyed by people complaining about lack of progress when they're blowing it on on pizza and ice cream twice a week.

blackflag

Totally get that. But I also get annoyed by people complaining about lack of progress when they're blowing it on on pizza and ice cream twice a week.

LOL yes. I think people take cheat days too much. I think instead of scheduling it for 1 or 2x per week, set a weight goal and do it by that. Schedule one like every 5-7 lbs or something and use something better like sweet potatoes. They are useful if used correctly though. Pizza and ice cream would not be imo doing it correctly.

Pizza and ice cream does work for backloading though :) Not doing that right now though. I'm trying to get to 10% or sub before summer.

I will suffer. 1,800 calorie deficit am cry.

grumble

LOL yes. I think people take cheat days too much. I think instead of scheduling it for 1 or 2x per week, set a weight goal and do it by that. Schedule one like every 5-7 lbs or something and use something better like sweet potatoes. They are useful if used correctly though. Pizza and ice cream would not be imo doing it correctly.

Pizza and ice cream does work for backloading though :) Not doing that right now though. I'm trying to get to 10% or sub before summer.

That's a monster deficit. PSMF?

Agreed with the excessive cheat days. Msot people don't understand that a 'cheat day' really means that you can be a little looser and have small portions of foods not in line with your goals, not eat 10k calories of ice cream...

blackflag

That's a monster deficit. PSMF?

Agreed with the excessive cheat days. Msot people don't understand that a 'cheat day' really means that you can be a little looser and have small portions of foods not in line with your goals, not eat 10k calories of ice cream...

Not exactly PSMF I don't think. Some guy's competition prep diet but I think it might be close to PSMF.

3lb lean protein
1-2 lb green vege, I just use broccoli
30-40g fat

Down 9 since last week but obviously several lbs of that are glycogen burn off and water. Gonna do it until/if I start having problems with my lifts.

Actually it is as much protein as you can eat but I determined 3lb of chicken is pretty much my limit.

Veezy

que?

You should be fine. However, you may want to speak with a physical therapist, not a chiropractor.

SeanR1221

Are you saying sweet potatoes would be considered a cheat?

blackflag

Are you saying sweet potatoes would be considered a cheat?

It's all in context. If you are eating extremely low carb or no carb other than fibrous veges then it would be considered a carb load/cheat.

If you normally eat carbs every day then no it wouldn't be a cheat. There's nothing wrong with sweet potatoes unless you are one of the many people that have trouble losing weight when you eat carbs (like me).

Noema

Comments:

Do Starting Strength. Remember SS is not a routine; it's a program. It's no just a list of exercises and rep ranges; it has to be a linear progression. Read the OP for further information.

Also read this: http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats/

SeanR1221

It's all in context. If you are eating extremely low carb or no carb other than fibrous veges then it would be considered a carb load/cheat.

If you normally eat carbs every day then no it wouldn't be a cheat. There's nothing wrong with sweet potatoes unless you are one of the many people that have trouble losing weight when you eat carbs (like me).

Ok that makes sense

I eat squash sometimes too but I mostly keep it to spinach and broccoli and Brussel sprouts.

Veezy

que?
How green is.your poop?

When I was going through the bad period of my life last year(short version, I was trapped in an 800 square foot apartment with no job, no car, in a state where I had no family or friends, the only human I interacted with was the food delivery guy, and all my money was in my ex-fiancee's account [still us, but I've been able to actually work some]) the last bit of food I had that could last me till the next deliver (which would turn out to be 4 days later) was a mustard container and a several cup bag of spinach.

So, I ate the whole bag in one day. When I pooped, it looked like boiled and buttered collard greens. It was a bad experience.

Then, I lived off mustard. A spoonful can make you think you're full for only a few calories.

2012 was a bad year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom