• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
about a month into SS and i'm really enjoying it but i cut out cardio to conserve calories and now i feel like running after my lifts again.

i know my gains will be hampered, but i don't really care. is there a particular time to run (before/after lifting, offdays, etc) that would impact my muscle gains the least?

Veezy

que?
about a month into SS and i'm really enjoying it but i cut out cardio to conserve calories and now i feel like running after my lifts again.

i know my gains will be hampered, but i don't really care. is there a particular time to run (before/after lifting, offdays, etc) that would impact my muscle gains the least?

Do your conditioning after your work out or on days when you're not training at all. Do not run. Or, don't do long slow distance. If you want a LP program with wisely conditioned breaks in it, this is the program you should be doing till you get strong enough to switch to the Grayskull LP Linebacker Template. You can, literally, change into the other program next week without tweaking any lifts.

If you have a hankering for conditioning, do 10-15 minute intense metabolic conditioning sets. Barbell complexes, some of the smarter designed Crossfit circuits, anything from the Grayskull conditioning books (all of which are fucking brutal and perfect for people looking to work up a sweat), prowler work, etc. Long distance running will put your body in a state to make you more apt to do long slow running, I.E. lighter and leaner, but in the wrong direction for muscle strength/size building.

Think about the way Usain Bolt looks versus any marathon runner.

QUICK EDIT: You can continue to do SS, just be warned it's very brutal on the body with squatting 3X per week and is designed around NOT running. It's more than just recuperating, it's injury prevention, progression, program swapping in the future, etc. If you want to run, run. Just understand that, at that point, you're NOT doing the program.

Ekdrm2d1

I damn well hope so. Just waiting on my money and my stuff. I'm sure I'll get it someday. Gotta keep pushing on.

I realized I was getting shit back together when my new lifting shoes came in. I felt like eating an entire large pizza and doing deadlifts.

Quick FYI, the Rouge brand lifting shoes, order them about a half size smaller than your running/tennis/sneaker shoes.

Good luck, Veezy! Gotta keep your head up indeed :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Do your conditioning after your work out or on days when you're not training at all. Do not run. Or, don't do long slow distance. If you want a LP program with wisely conditioned breaks in it, this is the program you should be doing till you get strong enough to switch to the Grayskull LP Linebacker Template. You can, literally, change into the other program next week without tweaking any lifts.

If you have a hankering for conditioning, do 10-15 minute intense metabolic conditioning sets. Barbell complexes, some of the smarter designed Crossfit circuits, anything from the Grayskull conditioning books (all of which are fucking brutal and perfect for people looking to work up a sweat), prowler work, etc. Long distance running will put your body in a state to make you more apt to do long slow running, I.E. lighter and leaner, but in the wrong direction for muscle strength/size building.

Think about the way Usain Bolt looks versus any marathon runner.

QUICK EDIT: You can continue to do SS, just be warned it's very brutal on the body with squatting 3X per week and is designed around NOT running. It's more than just recuperating, it's injury prevention, progression, program swapping in the future, etc. If you want to run, run. Just understand that, at that point, you're NOT doing the program.

thanks b

these barbell complexes sound great, i'll work those in this week

Dash27

Wall of text incoming, I copy and pasted a post I made on reddit.com/r/fitness since I would love your input:

After next week I will have completed 12 weeks of Strong Lifts and I have for the most part been pretty satisfied with the changes in my body. I've gained about 15 pounds (145-160) and have a generally more filled out look than before I started lifting and eating 3000 calories/150g of protein everyday. .

First, congratulate yourself on getting started and seeing some results. Gaining 15 lbs, enjoying lifting and filling out is a good beginning. I have no experience with Strong Lifts but in SS 12 weeks was where it just started to get serious for me.

Dont worry about other people just continue making progress. Eat enough and lift heavy.

Imm0rt4l

What's everyones thoughts on high altitude training masks? I didn't know this was a thing, but there's a regular at my gym who I always see wearing one.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
cmon FE

iJTvYjpjgliTA.jpg

andycapps

scary thing is he can move just as well as, if not much better, than any one of us lol

Or the guy is just huge from being trained by top men in the field as well as eating the right way all through college and the pros.
But yeah, I think most guys are on something or other in the NFL

entremet

Just eat more. Don't worry about it too much. You should still progress nicely as long as you're eating enough. Don't let weight training get in the way of other fun physical activities.

I'm gonna be cycling more come better weather. Gonna be a nice excuse to up my calories lol.

abuC

No one should be wearing a doorag, regardless of color.

That's not really true, the reason a lot of black people wear doorags to begin with is to keep the waves extra wavey. My father used to wear them when he was younger (Pre-abuC) to ride that wave.

48-max-b-wavel9l2j.gif

Orrichio

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140lbs
Goal: lose 4-5% body fat (10.8% now) while gaining muscle
Current Training Schedule: Every other day weight training with cardio sometimes
Current Training Equipment Available: free-weights, kettle bells, iron gym pull-up bar
Comments: I'm trying to lose body fat and gain muscle weight as well as build overall strength. I am doing a low-carb diet and my meals consist mostly of turkey/chicken breast grilled/baked, assorted greens (broccoli,string beans,brussel sprouts, etc) and some carb such as white/brown rice. I occasionally get really hungry and eat some frozen pizza that's gluten free,dairy -free, it's pretty healthy by frozen food standards.

My question is, I calculated my BMR and for moderate exercise i need ~ 2600 calories, what should I do on my off days where I don't do any or little exercise? Should I just stick to my resting calorie intake needs or eat 2600 calories? I read in the OP that I should eat a little more if I am trying to gain muscle... I am also allergic to dairy so I can't do GOMAD to supplement protein intake. I am also taking Creatine Powder.

Thank you in advance!

blackflag

Current Training Schedule: Every other day weight training with cardio sometimes
Current Training Equipment Available: free-weights, kettle bells, iron gym pull-up bar
Comments: I'm trying to lose body fat and gain muscle weight as well as build overall strength. I am doing a low-carb diet and my meals consist mostly of turkey/chicken breast grilled/baked, assorted greens (broccoli,string beans,brussel sprouts, etc) and some carb such as white/brown rice. I occasionally get really hungry and eat some frozen pizza that's gluten free,dairy -free, it's pretty healthy by frozen food standards.

My question is, I calculated my BMR and for moderate exercise i need ~ 2600 calories, what should I do on my off days where I don't do any or little exercise? Should I just stick to my resting calorie intake needs or eat 2600 calories? I read in the OP that I should eat a little more if I am trying to gain muscle... I am also allergic to dairy so I can't do GOMAD to supplement protein intake. I am also taking Creatine Powder.

Thank you in advance!

Those calculators, if you used a good one, build all that in so you should be eating that per day..but you don't have to. Some people like to eat less on off days and more on training days.

Orrichio

Those calculators, if you used a good one, build all that in so you should be eating that per day..but you don't have to. Some people like to eat less on off days and more on training days.

I just used the method described in the OP. Would this be an example that did 'build all that in'? Thanks.

Thank you in advance!

I personally think you should be working on one or the other, not trying to lose fat while gain muscle. That being said, it looks like you are new to this so you will see gains regardless but again, I think you should stick to just one.

Veezy

que?
I was going to post this. He looks like the Hulk IRL. Crazy. So jealous. Guess I just need to tren hard.
Tren Anavar D-Bol Deca stack. Consume calories. Train. Destroy. Get ladies. Claim you're natural at every opportunity. Act offended. Flip a table. Storm off. Write a book about your life become a god. Admit the drug use. Get men. Continue the drug use. Continue getting bigger. Get modeling deals. Swear you're done with drugs. Acquire money. Get ladies. Get men. Win at life. Wear a frogger costume. Jump into traffic. Survive the accident. Die fulfilled.

Most people pay for a life coach. I just did that for free.

You're welcome.

blackflag

I just used the method described in the OP. Would this be an example that did 'build all that in'? Thanks.

I just looked at it. Yeah that multiplication 1.5, 1.7, etc. Factors in days off if you chose the right activity level.

Either way it's just a tool. You should pick a number based on the calc and eat that way for at least 2 weeks and adjust up or down from there.

blackflag

Tren Anavar D-Bol Deca stack. Consume calories. Train. Destroy. Get ladies. Claim you're natural at every opportunity. Act offended. Flip a table. Storm off. Write a book about your life become a god. Admit the drug use. Get men. Continue the drug use. Continue getting bigger. Get modeling deals. Swear you're done with drugs. Acquire money. Get ladies. Get men. Win at life. Wear a frogger costume. Jump into traffic. Survive the accident. Die fulfilled.

Most people pay for a life coach. I just did that for free.

You're welcome.

Can I pay you from making me laugh so hard my sides hurt? I lost it at frogger

Orrichio

I personally think you should be working on one or the other, not trying to lose fat while gain muscle. That being said, it looks like you are new to this so you will see gains regardless but again, I think you should stick to just one.

Yes I am new. So basically diet should dictate how much fat I would lose, right? then which exercises would be important for fat-loss? Just cardio? I'm not looking for crazy muscles, I'm just looking for overall leanness and strength. I have loose tendons so one way to keep them my joints from slipping out is by gaining muscle..

Orrichio

I just looked at it. Yeah that multiplication 1.5, 1.7, etc. Factors in days off if you chose the right activity level.

Either way it's just a tool. You should pick a number based on the calc and eat that way for at least 2 weeks and adjust up or down from there.

That sounds like a good suggestion. Thank you!

SeanR1221

Yes I am new. So basically diet should dictate how much fat I would lose, right? then which exercises would be important for fat-loss? Just cardio? I'm not looking for crazy muscles, I'm just looking for overall leanness and strength. I have loose tendons so one way to keep them my joints from slipping out is by gaining muscle..

You're not going to get crazy muscles and the most important thing for fat loss is simply the food you put in your mouth, not cardio.

This might sound weird but have you had days when you're not hungry? I had my first meal about 5 hrs. ago and staying hydrated but last thing I want is more food.

Wynnebeck

Banned
What are the negative consequences to doing 100 pushups, situps, and squats without weights every to every other day until I start going to a gym? Just did the situps and squats and I'm at 60 pushups so far.

I have a quick question. I've weighed myself on 2 different weight machines-1 put me at 145 at a hotel gym and another put me at 142 at the gym I regularly go to. The hotel gym is one of those counter weight ones that you see at doctors offices and the other one is like the one you see at Publix. Which one should I "trust" as my current weight?

Also I was gonna put a picture of before and after I started working out but I don't have a before picture. So here is a picture just taken today after working out for 4 weeks in a row.

BrianWorkout_zps41acd68b.jpg

What are the negative consequences to doing 100 pushups, situps, and squats without weights every to every other day until I start going to a gym? Just did the situps and squats and I'm at 60 pushups so far.

The only problem I see is you need a back exercise. Do bridges or pullups. Don't procrastinate on the gymgoing, though. Odds are, whatever your goals are, you will achieve them faster at a gym.

I have a quick question. I've weighed myself on 2 different weight machines-1 put me at 145 at a hotel gym and another put me at 142 at the gym I regularly go to. The hotel gym is one of those counter weight ones that you see at doctors offices and the other one is like the one you see at Publix. Which one should I "trust" as my current weight?

Also I was gonna put a picture of before and after I started working out but I don't have a before picture. So here is a picture just taken today after working out for 4 weeks in a row.

[.IMG]http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y527/BankaiZaraki87/BrianWorkout_zps41acd68b.jpg[/IMG]

Now this can be your before pic. Post up another one 3-4 months from now!

Wynnebeck

Banned
The only problem I see is you need a back exercise. Do bridges or pullups. Don't procrastinate on the gymgoing, though. Odds are, whatever your goals are, you will achieve them faster at a gym.

Well I'm doing them at home now because I don't have the opportunity to get to a gym at the moment. I would do a breakdown and post my before pic but I'm self conscious as fuck lol.

PBY

Banned
Question- The program I'm doing (IMHO) lacks core/back work because of some modifications I made to it.

Currently, all I'm doing that hits those are pullups and rows.

I don't want to do squats or deadlifts- what do I sub in?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I'm with this guy here even though he hates do-rags on dudes. I've been strictly cutting bodyfat and if I had coupled that with trying to gain muscle I think I would have burnt out. Focus, achieve, then once you've done it switch gears and do it all over.

Noema

Squats seem to be the barometer to which I can tell if I'm doing well or not. If they go up, I'm doing great, if they go down, something is off and needs to be tweaked. This exercise is always the first to show it for me and always the most dramatic change.

It's exactly the same for me.

balddemon

Banned
Question- The program I'm doing (IMHO) lacks core/back work because of some modifications I made to it.

Currently, all I'm doing that hits those are pullups and rows.

I don't want to do squats or deadlifts- what do I sub in?

reverse cable flyes, both db and bb rows, reverse db flyes

PBY

Banned
If you want to work the lower back, good morning and hyperextensions work.

But really, you just gotta do deads. And probably squats. Is there a reason you're against them?

Not against them at all- they're prob my 2 favorite lifts. I just had to stop doing them because my thighs and ass blew the fuck up, and I'm trying to size them down. Currently, all I'm doing are leg extensions, leg curls, and intense bike interval training.

I'm with this guy here even though he hates do-rags on dudes. I've been strictly cutting bodyfat and if I had coupled that with trying to gain muscle I think I would have burnt out. Focus, achieve, then once you've done it switch gears and do it all over.

Yup. When I first started lifting, I wanted to get visible abs so badly. It really was a terrible idea. Should have just ate and lifted heavy instead, I tried to do both. I wish I could start over again haha.

PBY

Banned
Thanks all- good stuff here. I'm such a noobie at the non-boring-but-big stuff. BB programs are a whole new beast to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom