• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
From Christian Bale in The Machinist to Christian Bale when not in Batman mode.

Given your full-time job isn't changing your body for movie roles and getting paid millions to do it, and this is just a hobby, I'd think that's pretty damn good in a year's time.

Noema

A friend of mine thinks my around 1 year progress isn't optimal, says no significant gains were made.

He will be reading this thread to either be proved right or eat shit and die.

Late 2011 after doing Insanity and a lot of cardio:

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

He also knocks me for following a fitness thread on a mainly gaming forum.

Please comment.

Your friend is wrong. The only way you'd have packed on more muscle in a year would be 'roids. You look like you'd just stepped out from a concentration camp in the first photo.

And you also got much stronger.

From Christian Bale in The Machinist to Christian Bale when not in Batman mode.

PaLUdiD.jpg

Hope you don't mean "The Fighter" though. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A friend of mine thinks my around 1 year progress isn't optimal, says no significant gains were made.

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

Please comment.

I'm usually pretty critical of people posting pics that don't look like big changes occurred, but your results are very noticeable and are/should be an inspiration to any novice lifters or wannabes lurking this thread.

abuC

First time I ever had an accident in the gym and needed someone to get the bar off me. Was doing close grip bench with a short bar, the weight I was using wasn't even heavy and it's not an olympic bar. The bench is one of those where you pick the bar up in front of you, and then it also has some stands behind your head to drop the weight if you need to. I don't know how it happened but somehow the bench moved a bit and when it did my wrists rolled back towards me and the bar dropped on across the bottom of my ribs. It winded me for a second and I couldn't get it off me, so somebody saw and helped.

Never had that happen to me before....still......in the words of CT Fletcher it was still my muthafuckin set, and I finished up after I made sure the bench wasn't going to budge. Luckily as the bar dropped I tightened up my stomach, my abs are a little sore but I'm just happy I didn't get hurt.

CrankyJay

Banned
First time I ever had an accident in the gym and needed someone to get the bar off me. Was doing close grip bench with a short bar, the weight I was using wasn't even heavy and it's not an olympic bar. The bench is one of those where you pick the bar up in front of you, and then it also has some stands behind your head to drop the weight if you need to. I don't know how it happened but somehow the bench moved a bit and when it did my wrists rolled back towards me and the bar dropped on across the bottom of my ribs. It winded me for a second and I couldn't get it off me, so somebody saw and helped.

Never had that happen to me before....still......in the words of CT Fletcher it was still my muthafuckin set, and I finished up after I made sure the bench wasn't going to budge. Luckily as the bar dropped I tightened up my stomach, my abs are a little sore but I'm just happy I didn't get hurt.

Damn, glad you're okay.

I get nervous when I push 225...I should probably ask for a spot or just bench less if I can't find someone.

f0nz0

New balances are great, I actually have the second version on the ones you posted, the mx20 v2.. I squat and deatlift In them, the sole is flat, and comfortable enough to be wearing during the day., I'd buy mine again..

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I don't understand why lots of people seem to say you need something with a flat sole, but all the shoes made specifically for weightlifting have a raised heel??? I just need whatever is going to be best for my knees, which I think would be a flat sole.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why lots of people seem to say you need something with a flat sole, but all the shoes made specifically for weightlifting have a raised heel??? I just need whatever is going to be best for my knees, which I think would be a flat sole.

Because a flat sole and a raised heel aren't mutually exclusive? In weightlifting shoes the heel is raised inside the shoe and the sole is flat and non-compressible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, I remember when 455 was my 1RM for deadlift. Now it's light as hell. Great way to head into work; awesome deadlift session right into night shift. Gonna be making lots of rounds to keep that blood flowing lol.

Noema

Because a flat sole and a raised heel aren't mutually exclusive? In weightlifting shoes the heel is raised inside the shoe and the sole is flat and non-compressible.

Exactly.

I guess 'flat sole' is a bit of a misnomer. Non-compressible would be a more appropriate term, as in, not this:

0vVaZYL.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
IMO for shoes raised heel is probably best for OHP and squat. Flat/minimalist/barefoot would be best for deads and bench wouldn't really matter. I intend to get some good shoes soon for squats/OHP because currently most of my work is done in vibrams.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

Please comment.

Very well done and your friend is a moron.

Before pic: obviously substantial weight loss as you can see by the stretch marks, loose skin, and vaguely unusual proportions.

After pic: filled back in with muscle instead of fat, now looking great and basically no sign of the prior obesity. Definition and vascularity, so you're pretty well set unless you feel the need to get bigger.

Veezy

que?

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

Please comment.

Lost, here's what you do.

Seriously, listen to me.

You look him dead in the eye. Dead in the fucking eye. You say the following words:

"Bro, eat a fucking dick with a side of soy sauce and a bit of wasabi."

You've made progress. And fucascale, you made strength gains. You look good and you're happy. Homebody is being a piece of shit and should be called out on it. Real talk.

THAT outta the way, let's talk about belts. So, a bit back I linked to a Schiek belt that I had used. Funny story, I had to order a new one (building back up to 210 from 160 takes a lot of food and the right equipment). The new belt I got is the "new" 3004 model. And, if I do say, holy shit.

Is it as nice as a real deal PL belt? Well, kinda. The design is made in a way to make it pretty optimal for everything except really fucking heavy squats. Like, 600+. Everything else? It will hold and hold strong. I cannot give enough praise to this product.

If you're looking for a great belt for every lift and aren't actually doing power lifting, the 3004 model is well work the money and won't take weeks of work to fit in and will be functional for any movement you do. Gawddamn, I love it.

balddemon

Banned
LMAO thanks for the overwhelming responses guys, dis gonna be good when he reads all of your posts.
The fuck? It looks like you made a solid amount of progress. What does your friend mean by optimal?
I've told him his perception of weight lifting gains is distorted, he thinks I should be making visible gains every other week. He only does cardio for weight loss so I think that's where that comes from.

how much weight did you gain? looks like great progress to me.
Thanks. About 28lbs, and btw if a third of that is muscles I think most of it went to my legs and back, which aren't apparent in that photo.

Your friend sounds like a dick. What's his progress like?
lol he's endlessly spinning his wheels unfortunately. When I finally got him to do SS for a few weeks, he gains some fat and decides to go back to doing Insanity.

Very well done and your friend is a moron.

Before pic: obviously substantial weight loss as you can see by the stretch marks, loose skin, and vaguely unusual proportions.

After pic: filled back in with muscle instead of fat, now looking great and basically no sign of the prior obesity. Definition and vascularity, so you're pretty well set unless you feel the need to get bigger.
Thanks. Yeah I was a 285lbs teenager, I know it's a cliche but I always knew I was going to get to where I am, just didn't know the right tools until recently.

I hope I can keep lifting for the rest of my life.

Log4Girlz

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

Please comment.

Don't be so harsh on your friend. I for one wouldn't want to be blind.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So stretching and foam rolling has really helped my knee/patella tracking issues a lot. I went to the track and did sprints today without any issue. I think I'm ready to at least attempt really light weight squats once I have proper shoes (just ordered the New Balances). Will probably not go over 135 for my first couple workouts just to test the waters. After I get up to to half decent weights again on squats and deads, I'm gonna try to sneak Devolution into my school gym to take some video so you guys can check my form. I think my deadlift form might be kind of suspect.

SeanR1221

Well so much for eating junk after helping my friend move yesterday. I started my cut 2 weeks ago at 202, got down to 198 the first week. Stayed the same as of yesterday and today I'm 201.

Yes I know water weight and all that. This shit is just depressing. We'll see what next week brings. If there is no change next week or I'm still at 198 I guess it's time for some kind of change :/

LMAO thanks for the overwhelming responses guys, dis gonna be good when he reads all of your posts.

I've told him his perception of weight lifting gains is distorted, he thinks I should be making visible gains every other week. He only does cardio for weight loss so I think that's where that comes from.

Thanks. About 28lbs, and btw if a third of that is muscles I think most of it went to my legs and back, which aren't apparent in that photo.

lol he's endlessly spinning his wheels unfortunately. When I finally got him to do SS for a few weeks, he gains some fat and decides to go back to doing Insanity.

Thanks. Yeah I was a 285lbs teenager, I know it's a cliche but I always knew I was going to get to where I am, just didn't know the right tools until recently.

I hope I can keep lifting for the rest of my life.

Unlike most in this thread I love doing Insanity and I still think your friend is an absolute idiot. You look great.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I had a sneaking suspicion your friend simply didn't know what he was talking about, but thought there might be an off chance he was a condescending amateur bodybuilder with great genetics. Since he's the former, you should feel confident in telling him that not only do anonymous strangers on the internet think you look decently bigger but that until he can outlift you and/or add considerably more to his lifts than you did in the same timeframe he should open his mouth only when washing his turds down with milk, as he'll need the energy for all the squats he'll be doing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, this 455 training max for deadlift is killing me. I'm banging out reps like crazy and 455 is light as hell for me now, I know I need to block that shit out, but I keep wanting to bump up, lol.

Side note, great thing about working out at a different time frame is when you go all beast mode on deadlift infront of people who have never seen you and they all go "Damn man, what's your max." LOL.

I fucking love the deadlift, probably because it's the one lift I can totally push myself by myself because if I fail, I can just drop it. I think training solo might be holding me back on the other lifts because of this. All of that will probably be rectified once I can do everything in the power rack (my own power rack).

CrankyJay

Banned

"Debunking" is a bit broad of a term...she debunks what Paleolithic people may have eaten but it was really broken down by region etc.

The last 5 minutes of the video sort of gives creedence to the efficacy of the Paleo diet such that not eating things that contain soy/wheat/corn is a good thing. Paleo didn't really invent that though.

I will say though that some Paleo people take things too far with their obnoxiousness.

I thought this would have debunked it from a nutritional level in terms of heart disease etc.

I guess it is kind of ridiculous they named it this though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
"Debunking" is a bit broad of a term...she debunks what Paleolithic people may have eaten but it was really broken down by region etc.

The last 5 minutes of the video sort of gives creedence to the efficacy of the Paleo diet such that not eating things that contain soy/wheat/corn is a good thing. Paleo didn't really invent that though.

I will say though that some Paleo people take things too far with their obnoxiousness.

I thought this would have debunked it from a nutritional level in terms of heart disease etc.

She's debunking Paleo in how it's presented and sold and sorting out the facts from the fiction.

That's fine...thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, you should watch the whole thing, it's really interesting.

CrankyJay

Banned
She's debunking Paleo in how it's presented and sold and sorting out the facts from the fiction.

I don't think it takes an anthropoligical breakdown to know almost all the foods we eat today weren't around back then

You're welcome, you should watch the whole thing, it's really interesting.

Was hard to follow with her dry mouth syndrome...someone get that girl a glass of water.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I don't think it takes an anthropoligical breakdown to know almost all the foods we eat today weren't around back then

Was hard to follow with her dry mouth syndrome...someone get that girl a glass of water.

Lol, for real.

The best parts are when she goes into all the "wild to domesticated" versions of vegetables/fruit.

Alright, time for a nap.

CrankyJay

Banned
Lol, for real.

The best parts are when she goes into all the "wild to domesticated" versions of vegetables/fruit.

Alright, time for a nap.

Yeah, the banana part was interesting...kinda sad how we basically genetically erased wild variants of food through breeding. It's both good and bad on some level.

From what I remember wild fruits weren't nearly as sweet as they are today.

f0nz0

Well so much for eating junk after helping my friend move yesterday. I started my cut 2 weeks ago at 202, got down to 198 the first week. Stayed the same as of yesterday and today I'm 201.

Yes I know water weight and all that. This shit is just depressing. We'll see what next week brings. If there is no change next week or I'm still at 198 I guess it's time for some kind of change :/

That's why I usually weigh myself every two weeks... Weight fluctuation is frustrating when you know you ate well during the whole week, and busted your ass In the gym.. Weight fluctuation can easily mask 1-2 lbs lost compared to masking 3-5lbs.

Cliche I know, but.. Don't be a slave to the scale

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

Please comment.
Not for nothing but who gives a fuck about your friend .. You should be doing it for yourself

Also in fairness you should make the after shot closer in distance to the before shot
Congrats on your gains

agrajag

Banned
Hit a little pr on squats, 170*5. Real happy, cause I've hit a wall on that lift for a while. It's amazing what wonders actually lifting consistently will do. almost hit a pr on deads too, 255, but couldn't lock out my back. So I decided to drop back down to 235 and couldn't even get it off the floor!

IceCold

Dash27

Good stuff thanks for posting this I hadnt seen it. I'm doing paleo now mostly because it's basically what I ate to get fit before I knew anything about paleo. Minus grains and beans.

She didnt sell me on the meat myth at all though. 8 minutes in she goes through her graphs and ends with humans in the carnivore range. Her argument there seems to be other groups tested where you wouldnt normally see them so humans could be misleading as well.

I dont think the claim is that we are pure carnivores, we're clearly omnivores and should eat as such.

SeanR1221

That's why I usually weigh myself every two weeks... Weight fluctuation is frustrating when you know you ate well during the whole week, and busted your ass In the gym.. Weight fluctuation can easily mask 1-2 lbs lost compared to masking 3-5lbs.

Cliche I know, but.. Don't be a slave to the scale

Yeah you're right. The way I see it I have 3 options.

1.). Keep on keeping. Just eat clean, don't overeat, hit my protein macro, lift heavy, lift hard. Fuck a scale and go by how my body looks.

2.). Do something drastic like the psmf diet

3.). Go back to just eating whatever and getting stronger.

I'm sticking with 1. But I'll be honest if I don't see a pretty big difference by the end of this, I'm going to really need some guidance from your guys.

CrankyJay

Banned

1.). Keep on keeping. Just eat clean, don't overeat, hit my protein macro, lift heavy, lift hard. Fuck a scale and go by how my body looks.

I'm sticking with 1. But I'll be honest if I don't see a pretty big difference by the end of this, I'm going to really need some guidance from your guys.

Up your water intake to if its low. Try doing fasted low to medium impact cardio for an hour. Mornings work best.

entremet

Are you doing other measurements, like tape measuring, calipers, etc. other than scale weight? Scale weight is very deceptive if you're into weight training.

SeanR1221

Up your water intake to if its low. Try doing fasted low to medium impact cardio for an hour. Mornings work best.

Been doing cardio every day (even today!). Haven't tried fasted but not a bad idea.

Are you doing other measurements, like tape measuring, calipers, etc. other than scale weight? Scale weight is very deceptive if you're into weight training.

This. I really need to get a new measuring tape (I lost mine). I keep meaning to go to Walmart and I forget.

entremet

Been doing cardio every day (even today!). Haven't tried fasted but not a bad idea.

This. I really need to get a new measuring tape (I lost mine). I keep meaning to go to Walmart and I forget.

Order it on amazon.

For example, this dude only lost 12 pounds of scale weight.

December-9th-Comparison5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom