• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just got shin sleeves for deadlift. if the bar even barely touches my skin it bleeds with that much weight. Any contact at all fucks it up. Also I think rippetoes description of deadlift form (how far away to start your shins from the bar) didn't work for my body so the bar was always scraping my shit up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The bar should be in contact with your shins, knees and thighs through the entire movement. If the bar is "banging" your shins or knees you're doing it wrong. That means the bar is coming away from your body. If you're scraping the shit out of your shins and the bar is in constant contact I'd have to wonder if you're dragging the knurling up your leg, if you have a skin condition, or if you're doing very high rep deads.

I do high rep and heavy as hell deads and the only thing that happens to me is missing hair and a red line up and down my shins, but I also wear spandex/stretchy pants and knee sleeves when I dead/squat (although none of that "protects" my shins except for the pants).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The bar should be in contact with your shins, knees and thighs through the entire movement. If the bar is "banging" your shins or knees you're doing it wrong. That means the bar is coming away from your body. If you're scraping the shit out of your shins and the bar is in constant contact I'd have to wonder if you're dragging the knurling up your leg, if you have a skin condition, or if you're doing very high rep deads.

I do high rep and heavy as hell deads and the only thing that happens to me is missing hair and a red line up and down my shins, but I also wear spandex/stretchy pants and knee sleeves when I dead/squat (although none of that "protects" my shins except for the pants).

Oh, that's right, I think my stance/height put my shins right where the knurling began with whatever bars were at my gym, IIRC. Is the knurling in the same spots for all olympic bars or does it vary by manufacturer?

Gotcha. Think I should just take the movement a bit slower then. That and thicker socks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh, that's right, I think my stance/height put my shins right where the knurling began with whatever bars were at my gym, IIRC. Is the knurling in the same spots for all olympic bars or does it vary by manufacturer?

It can vary, but it's typically pretty standard.

Gotcha. Think I should just take the movement a bit slower then. That and thicker socks.

I wouldn't take it "slower" I would maybe lower the weight and focus on form.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Not slower, but adjust your form. When you say the bar is banging into your knees, do you mean on the way up or down? Either way, the timing of engaging your hips is probably the culprit.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Also I don't think the "correct" deadlift form works for my body. I'm 6'6", kind of lanky (even for my height), with small feet for my height. Like mechanically it just wasn't working. IIRC I had to either widen my stance or start with the bar not in the middle of my foot to get it to even work correctly without the bars movement being impeded by my bones. I'll report back once I'm actually in the gym again to make for sure this is the case, but does that make any sense?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Also I don't think the "correct" deadlift form works for my body. I'm 6'6", kind of lanky (even for my height), with small feet for my height. Like mechanically it just wasn't working. IIRC I had to either widen my stance or start with the bar not in the middle of my foot to get it to even work correctly without the bars movement being impeded by my bones. I'll report back once I'm actually in the gym again to make for sure this is the case, but does that make any sense?

You could try sumo deads, but there's plenty of tall deadlifters who use conventional stance. Just gotta find how out to set up properly for your build.

Kyaw

Had Chicken + Lamb kebabs last night. It was so good.

I've torn my trousers again that was just recently sent to the tailor for repair.
Feelsbadman.jpg

Also, what to do about soreness in quads at the working sets of squats?
Am I just being a little bitch? Probably true but with the working sets it's fucking difficult to put the "breaks" on at parallel. ATG (not working sets) is super fine to do for me.

Should I just switch to ATG with lower weights and work back up from there? Might get some recordings to post form on here.

Just yesterday, there was a guy curling in the only squat rack when I wanted to do squats.
He said the weights were too heavy (50kg) to be picked up from the floor and he was pretty much thrusting the weight up to curl.

Cudder

239 lbs @ 17.3%

I would like to be 12/13% by July so that means I drop 4-5%. Lose 9-12 lbs which would put me at 227-230. This is something I can do. I think regardless of what happens, I do not want to fall below 225.

another front pic
bad leg pic
bad side leg pic

my man, you're gonna look great when you cut up. I understand you don't want to lose your size and "big-ness", but cutting up a great deal will actually make you look bigger, even though you'll weigh less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG3MQfIBEO8

SeanR1221

Yeah I'm being paid in beer and sausage sandwiches. Haven't had anything like that in 2 weeks but I figure one day won't kill me, especially after moving shit for 3 hours.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Haven't done DLs in a long time now got ~420x5 which felt ok, might do some again in 1-2 weeks if I feel fine. Then I did a few sets with ~300-350x10 plus ~200-230x8 bb rows for a bunch of sets and 30x pullups.

Cudder

I'm basically putting back on all the weight I lost from my cut over the last month this weekend. Oh well. At least I know I can actually do it, being my first serious cut. Guess I'll think of it more of a mental warm up to the real thing.

Az987

all good things
So in 8 weeks of doing starting strength I'm about 12 or 13 pounds heavier. Is that a lot of weight in that amount of time or are those normal results for starting strength?

I don't really see any flab or look any less defined than I did before but I'm guessing a good amount of that has to be fat, right?

SeanR1221

So in 8 weeks of doing starting strength I'm about 12 or 13 pounds heavier. Is that a lot of weight in that amount of time or are those normal results for starting strength?

I don't really see any flab or look any less defined than I did before but I'm guessing a good amount of that has to be fat, right?

Are you taking creatine too?

This poor girl just started working out at my gym that is in fantastic shape. She has one of the most impressive deadlifts and leg presses I have ever seen. First couple of weeks she was coming she was getting stopped by some guy every 5 minutes. She would politely smile and engage them in conversation for about 2-3 minutes before exiting. Now though she wears headphones and pretends she doesn't hear any of them. I am always shocked how forward some of the guys will be just openly starring at her as she works out its pretty damn pathetic.

/random rant.

Noema

You could try sumo deads, but there's plenty of tall deadlifters who use conventional stance. Just gotta find how out to set up properly for your build.

AFAIK Sumo would be recommended for people who are tall because they have long torsos, and proportionally shorter legs and arms, and if he's describing himself as 'lanky' he's probably the opposite, with long limbs and a shorter torso, in which case he should probably be pulling conventionally. I'm lanky as hell and suck at every lift, except the deadlift. My monstrously long spaghetti arms allow me to keep an almost vertical back which reduces hip torque to a minimum.

EDIT: Just saw your link, which agrees with that line of reasoning.

elitefts said:
If you have long arms relative to your torso, you will probably find conventional deadlifts easier.

Sumo isn't that great for strength training, anyway. It uses less muscle mass and has a much shorter ROM too.

It's about normal.

Some of it, but bones and connective tissue also get denser as a result of strength training, adding to your lean body mass. Bones, tendons, ligaments are also living tissue that adapts to the training. People think it's always either fat or muscle; it's more complicated than that.

It looks like my quads are where I gained the most size.

T-Rex Mode Activate.

harSon

Banned
This poor girl just started working out at my gym that is in fantastic shape. She has one of the most impressive deadlifts and leg presses I have ever seen. First couple of weeks she was coming she was getting stopped by some guy every 5 minutes. She would politely smile and engage them in conversation for about 2-3 minutes before exiting. Now though she wears headphones and pretends she doesn't hear any of them. I am always shocked how forward some of the guys will be just openly starring at her as she works out its pretty damn pathetic.

/random rant.

Yooo, that's what Hammer Strength machines are for. Best stare down spots in the joint.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So what's the best way to cut? I've started eat less, eat healthier, and switch to water only. Still working out. I don't take any supplements.

On the right path?

Az987

all good things
EDIT: Just saw your link, which agrees with that line of reasoning.

Sumo isn't that great for strength training, anyway. It uses less muscle mass and has a much shorter ROM too.

It's about normal.

Some of it, but bones and connective tissue also get denser as a result of strength training, adding to your lean body mass. Bones, tendons, ligaments are also living tissue that adapts to the training. People think it's always either fat or muscle; it's more complicated than that.

T-Rex Mode Activate.

Hmmm interesting. Good to know.

Lol I actually had the opposite of Trex mode going before so I'm good. I didn't just start working out or anything but I hadn't used weights seriously in 6 or 7 years and I didn't know any exercises that worked legs like a push up or pull up works your upper body so they were lagging behind.

CrankyJay

Banned

/random rant.

That sucks. I guess this is why women's only clubs exist.

SeanR1221

Move wasn't bad at all, especially with 8 guys.

Only two comments. "You gonna squat that?" "Good form good form" (when picking up boxes)

zychi

Banned
So two random questions for fit-gaf.

How much are you payin for monthly gym memberships?
What time of day do you prefer to lift at?

balddemon

Banned
So two random questions for fit-gaf.

How much are you payin for monthly gym memberships?
What time of day do you prefer to lift at?

I pay $63/month. with that I get a basketball court and a huge selection of weights. not to mention the pool, cafe, rock wall, and spa. lol. I use the court and weights the most, everything else is sporadically used.

I like to lift between 10am-2pm but that rarely happens so I end up there around 830pm.

zychi

Banned
I pay $63/month. with that I get a basketball court and a huge selection of weights. not to mention the pool, cafe, rock wall, and spa. lol. I use the court and weights the most, everything else is sporadically used.

I like to lift between 10am-2pm but that rarely happens so I end up there around 830pm.
Lifetime? Literally sounds like what I just signed up for.

A friend of mine thinks my around 1 year progress isn't optimal, says no significant gains were made.

He will be reading this thread to either be proved right or eat shit and die.

Late 2011 after doing Insanity and a lot of cardio:

rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

sdasdadw0pad.png

He also knocks me for following a fitness thread on a mainly gaming forum.

Please comment.

Magik

A friend of mine thinks my around 1 year progress isn't optimal, says no significant gains were made.

Please comment.

The fuck? It looks like you made a solid amount of progress. What does your friend mean by optimal?

The 2011 pic looks like you had a eating disorder or something. lol

Just keep at it and you'll be fine.

...shit that first pic is freaky.

Mully

270X7 today. New squat PR.

Wasn't too happy with my form until I started doing boring but big, but yeah a new PR for squats this 5/3/1 week. I think I'm going to deload on my squats by 20lbs after this cycle and focus on form. Specifically keeping my form consistent from rep to rep.

You've put on a good amount of muscle since your first picture Lost Identity. Don't let your friend fool you. Be proud of your gains.

Szu

Late 2011 after doing Insanity and a lot of cardio:

http://www.abload.de/img/rip8tbq3r.jpg

A recent photo:

http://www.abload.de/img/sdasdadw0pad.png

Please comment.

For your beard, I'm sorry, but he's proven right. I don't see any significant changes in it.

For you physique, he can eat shit and die. Since it's Easter, we can resurrect him, just so he can eat more shit and die again.

Great improvement. Your torso is much thicker. Very noticeable mass on your pecs and arms. Good job.

balddemon

Banned
Lifetime? Literally sounds like what I just signed up for.
Yep. When I signed up they were doing a special where you didn't have to pay any initiation fees or admin fees (total of like 160), just the prorated monthly dues. Thats the only reason I signed up, because everywhere else has an initiation. That and the 2 courts with NBA 3 point lines that make me feel like ray Allen :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom