• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I tried doing rack pulls today and stopped after two sets. Need to watch more vids and see how it really should be done.

Pull back is all I can say. It is awkward the first couple times. I usually set my pins mid shin height but you can go below or at the knees depends where you're weakest or vary it.

balddemon

Banned
Finally getting back in the gym tomorrow. Haven't been since feb 28th, so probably just gonna do cardio and light upper body.

Any suggestions on a routine I should follow? Cannot do legs (except BW calf raises and 0 impact cardio). I'm wary of doing anything that involves lots of downforce on my legs (OHP), but I will try it if need be.

My goal is to put back the weight I lost and lose the fat I gained. Honestly shouldnt take much more than Lifting several days a week for that to happen, it's not like it's been that long.

balddemon

Banned
Can't do legs? Why even work out at all.
Technically the 11th will be 6 weeks, which is when my doctor said I could go back to squatting.......so why not
nope, not til my ankle is 100% or close to it
I agree with the sentiment though. I miss doing kegs.
Broken leg.

You could try seated shoulder presses perhaps.
I will, simply because I've never done those. Always stuck to bb OHP. DB seated press should be nice.

Powercast

So who have some of the biggest, best natural physiques? Is anyone famous in the bodybuilding world for being natural?

I like Alberto Nunez, not the biggest but he's knowledgeable and can reach extreme low bf doing flexible dieting.
Alberto-Nunez2.jpg

entremet

So who have some of the biggest, best natural physiques? Is anyone famous in the bodybuilding world for being natural?

lol. everyone is gonna claim natural because drugs are taboo. You can lose sponsorships (read money), etc.

I'm pretty pro drugs when used property, although I don't don't anything myself. But the PR campaign against steroids is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, when bodybuilding judges started giving mass monster top prizes, bodybuilding was fucked.

But if you want to look at natural look at dudes like Steve Reeves, before the advent of steroids.

tumblr_m13tgdj8Cx1qi6obqo3_400.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright, while sitting at work protecting all your anuses from federal convicts something "came to me" after hours of reading articles and literature. Forgive me if this is common sense if you're already doing this, or you just don't give a fuck.

This is to help people "fix" their routines and perhaps push through a plateau.

1st. define the goal of your training. Is it for bodybuilding? A sport? Strength? Be specific.

2nd. List all lifts/exercises you do (lay them out in the template you're doing if you can, this will make everything else easier.) If you're not on a program/routine, you should probably get on one!

3rd. After you list these exercises define next to them why you're doing them. What purpose do they serve? Again, be specific.

Now evaluate. Is there anything there that doesn't fit your goal (the goal you defined in the first step). This means is this exercise IMMEDIATELY IMPORTANT to what you're trying to accomplish or is it just "extra." Put simply, if this exercise was removed from your routine, would it hurt your MAIN goal and/or does doing it help/improve your MAIN goal. If it's not directly working to your main goal (or exist to keep you "healthy") remove it.

Once this is done place it off to the side and make a new list.

For each lift all of us have failed, if you haven't you've not been training hard enough or long enough. If you need/want to take a new 1rm or rep max (I'd recommend a 3RM if going for a rep max).

Evaluate every moment of failure. Where did you fail? What was your sticking point?

Using this information examine what needs to be fixed. Was it form? Fix it.

Now if it was weakness this is where what I'm saying will "help." Knowing now where you're weak find the exercises that "target" these weak point/sticking points. It's best to pick exercises/movements that have multiple purposes/benefits. If you can do one movement that has multiple carry overs. Pick that. You're going to want to avoid exercises that don't give a "best bang for the buck." Training economy is key. Do more with less is a rule to live by.

With this list you've just created of exercises that will work on your weak points, go back to your first list and start plugging these new movements/exercises into the recently vacated slots you now have in your first list.

Now if you're just fucking awesome and your routine is perfect, simply swap around assistance every so often to nail these sticking points when they pop up. Some of you may be too new to realize where your weakpoints are, and that's fine. The takeaway for YOU in this is weed the bullshit out of your routines. Keep what's working to your goal and remove the bloat. For everyone else the key here is also to keep what's strong strong. Don't stop keeping your strong points strong to bring up weak points. At the very least maintain them while pushing the weak points harder.

Anyway, as I said I've been doing a lot of reading and evaluating my own training over the last near 3 years and this popped into my head. I hope I didn't just waste my time typing this, or yours making you read it.

Now I'm going to fucking sleep and I'll reply and probably quote this again later.

Edit: For the record prehab/warmup does not count for any of this. That's all shit you should be doing anyway and if it's impacting your routine at all (negatively) you're wrong.

Edit2: the only way for this to work IMO is for you to be extremely honest. Example - if your goal is to get strong, do you really think slotting "shrugs" into a coveted "assistance" slot is the smartest choice? Just an example, but it applies other places.

Can't do legs? Why even work out at all.

Train what can be trained, that's why.

Raxus

I need help improving my appetite. I always have been a light eater who can constantly eat throughout the day. I can manage my weight just fine but gaining is a bitch. What are the best meals/ways to eat more?

grumble

Alright, while sitting at work protecting all your anuses from federal convicts something "came to me" after hours of reading articles and literature. Forgive me if this is common sense if you're already doing this, or you just don't give a fuck.

1st. define the goal of your training. Is it for bodybuilding? A sport? Strength? Be specific.

2nd. List all lifts/exercises you do (lay them out in the template you're doing if you can, this will make everything else easier.) If you're not on a program/routine, you should probably get on one!

3rd. After you list these exercises define next to them why you're doing them. What purpose do they serve? Again, be specific.

Now evaluate. Is there anything there that doesn't fit your goal (the goal you defined in the first step). This means is this exercise IMMEDIATELY IMPORTANT to what you're trying to accomplish or is it just "extra." Put simply, if this exercise was removed from your routine, would it hurt your MAIN goal and/or does doing it help/improve your MAIN goal. If it's not directly working to your main goal (or exist to keep you "healthy") remove it.

For each lift all of us have failed, if you haven't you've not been training hard enough or long enough. If you need/want to take a new 1rm or rep max (I'd recommend a 3RM if going for a rep max).

Evaluate every moment of failure. Where did you fail? What was your sticking point?

Now if it was weakness this is where what I'm saying will "help." Knowing now where you're weak find the exercises that "target" these weak point/sticking points. It's best to pick exercises/movements that have multiple purposes/benefits. If you can do one movement that has multiple carry overs. Pick that. You're going to want to avoid exercises that don't give a "best bang for the buck." Training economy is key. Do more with less is a rule to live by.

With this list you've just created of exercises that will work on your weak points, go back to your first list and start plugging these new movements/exercises into the recently vacated slots you now have in your first list.

Now if you're just fucking awesome and your routine is perfect, simply swap around assistance every so often to nail these sticking points when they pop up. Some of you may be too new to realize where your weakpoints are, and that's fine. The takeaway for YOU in this is weed the bullshit out of your routines. Keep what's working to your goal and remove the bloat. For everyone else the key here is also to keep what's strong strong. Don't stop keeping your strong points strong to bring up weak points. At the very least maintain them while pushing the weak points harder.

Anyway, as I said I've been doing a lot of reading and evaluating my own training over the last near 3 years and this popped into my head. I hope I didn't just waste my time typing this, or yours making you read it.

Now I'm going to fucking sleep and I'll reply and probably quote this again later.

Edit: For the record prehab/warmup does not count for any of this. That's all shit you should be doing anyway and if it's impacting your routine at all (negatively) you're wrong.

Edit2: the only way for this to work IMO is for you to be extremely honest. Example - if your goal is to get strong, do you really think slotting "shrugs" into a coveted "assistance" slot is the smartest choice? Just an example, but it applies other places.

Nice post, thanks for the write up. I agree, some structured evaluation of your routine is a great idea!

I do think that people can have more than one goal; a lack of focus definitely ruins routines, but the complete elimination of every non-driver of primary goal progress might leave people a little bummed. A great example would be that if someone wants to get stronger, doing a LITTLE extra arm work to look good with a tshirt on probably won't kill their progress and allows them to achieve a secondary goal. If someone wants to be a better runner, adding in the bench press because they want to look good too might be an acceptable compromise.

In general though, I'm with you. Most routines don't have anough planning, focus and structure and I'm going to review my routine with your principles today.

Mendrox

I need help improving my appetite. I always have been a light eater who can constantly eat throughout the day. I can manage my weight just fine but gaining is a bitch. What are the best meals/ways to eat more?

I have the same problem... i am doing P90X at the moment and should eat about 2000-2200kcal, but I never ate more than 1200-1400kcal a day and this was with junk food.

I dunno, I would have to eat the whole day (and sometimes I just cant eat more than I do, I force the food into me) and get a feeling that I have to puke. Don't really enjoy eating that much anymore, but I want to gain muscles and how should I gain muscles if I don't eat much and just loose my eaten food with the training... :(

Carbonox

lol. everyone is gonna claim natural because drugs are taboo. You can lose sponsorships (read money), etc.

I'm pretty pro drugs when used property, although I don't don't anything myself. But the PR campaign against steroids is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, when bodybuilding judges started giving mass monster top prizes, bodybuilding was fucked.

But if you want to look at natural look at dudes like Steve Reeves, before the advent of steroids.

Big fan of Steve Reeves and his ilk as opposed to the bodybuilding guys of today.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back I think the best thing I got out of the P90X videos may be the triangle pose and revolved triangle pose from the Yoga one. Those feel great to do at work to get some stretching in, don't make me sweaty or out of breath, and because my legs are straight the whole time I can do them in any of my work pants (as some have a particular cut that doesn't allow a full range of motion for leg bends/lunge/warrior pose type things). Sure helps break up the lethargy of sitting in front of a computer for 8 or 9 hours.

Train what can be trained, that's why.

That is the biggest problem with novice trainers and even people who are more experienced. Just going through the motions just to go through them. Everything needs to have a purpose.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

A good article about that.

Fantastic physique. And one where they don't look like a freak either.

Hi guys, I don't have a exercise question, just asking the opinion of a Creatine Suppliment.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000533Z8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have been using creatine powder and it's too sugary for my liking, is this an OK substitute? Or do you recommend another brand of pills?

Thanks!

I've never taken creatine in pill form so I can't give you an answer to this. sorry.

Powercast

He's contest ready. He's not like that year round. Looks like 5 percent shredded there. Never cared for the look as I don't compete in bodybuilding. I'm fine with 12 percent BF.
this

I really like Bryce Lewis's YouTube Channel. He's a competitive powerlifter and his videos are informative and well put together. And he's also damn strong:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bryce126/videos?view=0&flow=grid
yeah I really love his videos too, learned a lot of mobility stuff from him.

Hi guys, I don't have a exercise question, just asking the opinion of a Creatine Suppliment.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000533Z8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have been using creatine powder and it's too sugary for my liking, is this an OK substitute? Or do you recommend another brand of pills?

Thanks!
what creatine powder have you been using? straight up creating is NOT sugary at all. Just get some cheap creatine monohydrate. No flavor or sugars, cheap as hell and usually works better than the fancy creatine shit.

balddemon

Banned
oh lord. I'm so tired. but it feels so damn good.

worked up to bench of 150 for 3x5, then did 85 for 3x5 on OHP, and 45 for 3x12 on bent over db rows. I think tomorrow I'll figure out some ways to do more back work along with experimenting with leg stuff (no squats, just iso - curls, extensions and the like).

anyways, so glad to be in the gym again.

Question for you fine folks. I read the OP plenty and it appears I have a few options.

I'm a big guy, but a fat guy at 300 lbs and 6'2". I know I can gain muscle and melt off fat by working out and watching my diet, but it's obvious that trying to do both will only serve me so well. Considering a keto or atkins diet to take off all of my weight first, then eat like a normal guy and gain mass. Is this a good plan when you're a fat guy? The way I look at it is six months or strict dieting and carb limiting then moving to something more reasonable and build muscle. Should I go after the fat first? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

velociraptor

So I'm going to start Kudo soon, some kind of Japanese MMA. Now I'm a newb when it comes to fighting, but my biggest concern is my cardiovascular fitness. I want to build muscle and strength, but I also need to dramatically improve my stamina. I do have asthma although I don't want to use that as an excuse. So I ask... what is the best way to improve my fitness? While I can do a decent number of chinups, pushups and squats, I really need to go the distance so I don't gas out half way through the class lol. Is there some kind of routine that I can follow to periodically build up my stamina?

abuC

Question for you fine folks. I read the OP plenty and it appears I have a few options.

I'm a big guy, but a fat guy at 300 lbs and 6'2". I know I can gain muscle and melt off fat by working out and watching my diet, but it's obvious that trying to do both will only serve me so well. Considering a keto or atkins diet to take off all of my weight first, then eat like a normal guy and gain mass. Is this a good plan when you're a fat guy? The way I look at it is six months or strict dieting and carb limiting then moving to something more reasonable and build muscle. Should I go after the fat first? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I was 270lbs (6'1") and lost around 30lbs in a 2 year period, while that may not seem like much I put on a considerable amount of muscle and my diet during that timeframe was around 3500-4000 calories a day. Fat loss was never my concern when I started, just putting on muscle and getting stronger. The fat started to melt away, my weight would stay steady some weeks but my waist would get smaller and my body would "jiggle" less.

ToxicAdam

AlienShogun made a great point on this page.

What is your MAIN goal? Is it to build muscle .. or is it to be a thin person? If your main goal is to build an attractive, muscular physique, then you are doing yourself a great disservice by putting off the weight training.

For me personally, diet and exercise go hand in hand. They act as positive reinforcers of each other. If you try to just focus on one, you will probably fail.

Everything in baby steps though. Start the diet one week. Then when you feel comfortable start some cardio. Then some light machine work. Etc etc. Imagine it all as a huge boulder you are pushing downhill. It starts out really fucking hard, but as you start to move this boulder it gets easier and easier.

Veezy

que?

Aight, I'm gonna keep it straight gangsta.

You're really fucking big. Without knowing your body fat percentage I'm guessing a lot of that is fat. Which puts you at a significant disadvantage in terms of what you can do that is both effective and safe.

So, if you're really fat, you're gonna wanna lose weight first. PSMF, carb cutting, atkins, etc. are all good ideas. However, to be frank, you probably got this way just by eating too much too often and not moving. So, just simply changing your diet to not being shitty will help. We don't need to tell you what to eat and what not to eat, you already know that.

Now, you may need to speak with a doctor or a dietician. Being that big, there's a chance you may have an issue with Type 2 or leaning towards it. Seriously, go talk to somebody. Find out where you are.

As for the exercise you should do while losing weight, I recommend walking. You're going to progress in that just like anything else. Set a distance. Next time, go further or go faster. Progress. Eventually, you'll begin to run, it'll happen kinda naturally. Once you get some solid mobility, it should be time to step into an LP.

Maybe somebody else can tell you something, that's just my two cents.

Bob Ross

I'm sure this has been posted before, but are there any good decent protein low cal snacks out there? My diet is pretty lean since I'm just trying to go for a lean mass diet/exercise combo. I used to do the nature valley protein bars which taste divine but they're full of soy lecithin. I don't mind having to make them myself, but I just want something delicious I can snack on during the day.

Petrie

Banned
My main goal has become looks vs strength, but I'm still sticking with 5/3/1 to maintain and build strength because I see that as important even to those goals. I suppose his still follows Shoun's logic, albeit in a roundabout way.

blackflag

I can only tell you what worked for me as we are all different.

1.5 years ago I was 6'0 310 and like 40% or so fat. Maybe more.

I did Keto and ate about 2,500 cals per day. I carb loaded every 2 or 3 weeks for 36 hours.

I did stronglifts 5x5, you can also do starting strength. I gained a lot of muscle doing that while losing fat. That really only happens when you are a beginner but the gains kept coming easily for like almost the whole year.

I got down to 229 @ 19%. Now I'm 255 at 19-20%.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but are there any good decent protein low cal snacks out there? My diet is pretty lean since I'm just trying to go for a lean mass diet/exercise combo. I used to do the nature valley protein bars which taste divine but they're full of soy lecithin. I don't mind having to make them myself, but I just want something delicious I can snack on during the day.

greek yogurt

blackflag

My main goal has become looks vs strength, but I'm still sticking with 5/3/1 to maintain and build strength because I see that as important even to those goals. I suppose his still follows Shoun's logic, albeit in a roundabout way.

That's the great thing about 5/3/1. My goal now is more aesthetics but I want to keep getting stronger so I do something like this.

Chest day:

5/3/1 bench
4 sets 10-15 rep incline db press
3 sets hammer str press 8-12 reps
4 sets cable or db flyes 12-15 reps
4 sets lying tricep ext 8-12 reps
4 sets Hammer str dips 8-12 reps
4 sets tricep pushdown 10-15 reps

Alright guys who here has used Roids?

I haven't ever done it mostly because I'm cheap and it seems like a hassle(I can't even stand doing creatine). That said though a good friend of mine did a 3 month cycle and it blew my mind how quickly his strength started spiking. I think only 2 months into it he started eclipsing me on most lifts outside of squats. Stuff was crazy but also really expensive. I think his monthly total was a little over $500.

blackflag

Alright guys who here has used Roids?

I haven't ever done it mostly because I'm cheap and it seems like a hassle(I can't even stand doing creatine). That said though a good friend of mine did a 3 month cycle and it blew my mind how quickly his strength started spiking. I think only 2 months into it he started eclipsing me on most lifts outside of squats. Stuff was crazy but also really expensive. I think his monthly total was a little over $500.

$500? that's crazy. That's more than I pay for my legit pharmacy testosterone. WTF was he doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom