• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

2246608727_201249b4f1.jpg

I knew it, this picture was wrong.
Can't start em too young.

harSon

Banned
I put on muscle/weight pretty easily in most areas. My only weakness, from what I can tell, is my body's stubbornness to drop weight. I mean, I've lost ~170 pounds so far, but I pretty much have to be 120% anal to not gain any weight. I swear any deviation from 100% dieting devotion, and I'm back to gaining weight. Maintenance for me is hardcore dieting for most :| I've had more plateaus then fucking geography class.

Oh, and my Abs suck. I have a really large rib cage, so it's going to take some fairly massive abs and ridiculously low body fat to ever obtain them. I've basically come to the conclusion that it's not worth it :|

entremet

I put on muscle/weight pretty easily in most areas. My only weakness, from what I can tell, is my bodies stubbornness to drop weight. I mean, I've lost ~170 pounds so far, but I pretty much have to be 120% anal to not gain any weight. I swear any deviation from 100% dieting devotion, and I'm back to gaining weight. I swear maintenance for me is hardcore dieting for most :| I've had more plateaus then fucking geography class.

Oh, and my Abs suck. I have a really large rib cage, so it's going to take some fairly massive abs and ridiculously low body fat to ever obtain them. I've basically come to the conclusion that it's not worth it :|

I've heard some doctors and nutritionists talk about metabolic damage that may occur and not be reversable in formerly obese/overweight persons.

I'm a former fatty as well, I can't lax on my eating, cause I gain it back easily. Putting on some muscle has help my metabolism a bit. Also exercise is crucial to me, moreso than diet, I don't eat terribly anymore--in maintaining and losing weight.

MjFrancis

Looking at all these back pics made me think of something. Out of curiosity GAF, what do you think your genetic strengths and weaknesses are? Obviously everybody is different and therefore things will grow easier for some than others but I was just wondering.
To speak of weak points is to imply I have strong points, and of that I'll deny all day long. I've got a reach that's a few inches longer than I am tall, so I'll admit that pulling is relatively easy for me. Other than that my bone structure is remarkably average. On that measure I should be able to bulk up very evenly should I choose to. As it happens its my back and legs that shine more than anything else - I love leg day and deadlifts so that's no surprise.

rando14

To speak of weak points is to imply I have strong points, and of that I'll deny all day long. I've got a reach that's a few inches longer than I am tall, so I'll admit that pulling is relatively easy for me. Other than that my bone structure is remarkably average. On that measure I should be able to bulk up very evenly should I choose to. As it happens its my back and legs that shine more than anything else - I love leg day and deadlifts so that's no surprise.

You don't have any muscle groups that you think lag behind others? I know for sure I've never had to worry about my chest, but I work really damn hard on my shoulders because they're not nearly where I want them to be.

Imm0rt4l

No idea what my strongpoints/weakpoints are. I'm very critical of myself. I look at myself in the mirror and all I really see is room for improvement.
I put on muscle/weight pretty easily in most areas. My only weakness, from what I can tell, is my body's stubbornness to drop weight. I mean, I've lost ~170 pounds so far, but I pretty much have to be 120% anal to not gain any weight. I swear any deviation from 100% dieting devotion, and I'm back to gaining weight. Maintenance for me is hardcore dieting for most :| I've had more plateaus then fucking geography class.

Have you tried reverse dieting? Incrementally bringing up calories after a deficit for many helps so that they don't 'spill over'.

I don't ever post pics because I have nothing to brag about thanks to my huge spare tire but I feel this is still quite a transformation.

[.IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/noamattd/IMAG0011-1.jpg[/IMG]
[.IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/noamattd/IMAG0012.jpg[/IMG]

40 long minutes of pure HARD WORK

Back looking thick.

My back is probably the best defined part of my body and its my favorite part to workout. I can't wait to get back into a gym again because while my back looks fit and looks well rounded, I'm in serious need of mass. No flex, except slightly for my right arm because of the camera pose.

[.IMG]http://s14.postimg.org/lk67qm64x/001.jpg[/IMG]

Again, I'm in serious need of building mass. I'm lean because I've been running approximately 15 miles give or take per week in addition to walking a few miles to and from class in addition to working as a food runner in a high volume restaurant. My endurance is progressing at a quicker pace than I thought possible and that is what is most important to me.

[.IMG]http://s4.postimg.org/c7xvkn64t/003.jpg[/IMG]

Height: 5'11
Weight: 138lbs
Gym: Currently no
1.5 mile: 10 minutes

Once I get inside a gym again I plan on building 20-25lbs of lean mass. However, I need to completely rethink the way I workout because I'm essentially training to become an athlete. So I need to incorporate functional moves that are dynamic, strenuous with a lot of mobility. I will supplement those exercises with moves that focus purely on strength like powerlifts, squats, bench press, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Eat and lift heavy and hard. You will see dem gainzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Looking at all these back pics made me think of something. Out of curiosity GAF, what do you think your genetic strengths and weaknesses are? Obviously everybody is different and therefore things will grow easier for some than others but I was just wondering.

I guess I'll go first:

Strengths:
Back
Traps
Calves
Chest

Neutral:
Forearms
Legs
Triceps

Weaknesses:
Shoulders
Biceps

Strengths:
Quads

Weakness:
Everything else lol

MjFrancis

You don't have any muscle groups that you think lag behind others? I know for sure I've never had to worry about my chest, but I work really damn hard on my shoulders because they're not nearly where I want them to be.
I lag all around in my eyes. I just don't attribute any of that to genetics, but to the work I invested. I have the potential to be very evenly proportioned I believe, but really my weak points are everything that isn't my back or quads. Weakest points are arms and hamstrings.

harSon

Banned
No idea what my strongpoints/weakpoints are. I'm very critical of myself. I look at myself in the mirror and all I really see is room for improvement.

Have you tried reverse dieting? Incrementally bringing up calories after a deficit for many helps so that they don't 'spill over'.

Yup :(

Imm0rt4l

Tough break man, if you've exhausted all other options and find you still have to be really stringent with the diet, then maybe you should get blood work done to see how your thyroid hormones are. I feel that if it is your metabolism that you should be able to recover/have it adapt to increased calories, but I really don't know since you lost a lot of weight.

SeanR1221

I tend to be really hard on myself, but I like the progress with my traps and quads, and (IMO) I have low lats which is cool.

I'm neutral on my triceps and chest. I have a love hate relationship with my chest actually. I like that its big, but I definitely still have fat to lose there.

Weakness? No sign of abs (which I actually don't care about) biceps, forearms and calves.

f0nz0

I did. I'm sure the order is already processing though, best bet is to email support? Fuck idk.

If i was you, id just give their customer service a call and let them know you want an adjustment on the price of the suff you bought thats included in their bday promo. Shouldn't be too much of an issue.

balddemon

Banned
I need to do so much back work tomorrow. my hands are back to resting forward when I am relaxed and standing up. doesn't seem right. also my back has gotten way less defined, so I want that back.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I tried squats again but lowered the weight even more to 175, cause while my legs felt strong enough to do way more, it felt like there was some sort of core imbalance or something that was causing me to lean slightly forward coming out from the bottom. It'll be nice to get up in weight again, but baby steps. Knees felt/feel great with the wraps and proper shoes.

I did some sets of dumbbell standing press with 75's and my shoulder clavicle made a REALLY loud pop sound. But there was no pain at all, no swelling, nothing at all out of the ordinary but I got kind of scared, I have no idea what that was. It was so loud it was like a bone snapped in half. That was yesterday and nothing feels weird today with any bones or joints, just a tiny amount of muscle soreness.

despire

some adults permanently injure their backs doing deadlifts

iirc i don't think bones fully develop until early 20s

if nothing happens and all goes well then thats great but they are kids its kinda risky business imo

You could argue that since their bones are still developing some sort of heavy resistance training would be good for making their bones stronger and healthier, possibly for the rest of their lives.

balddemon

Banned
Thought McDonalds was a huge no no..hell I thought all fast food was a huge no no.

yeah, if you're trying to clean bulk or cut. even then you just have to be careful with what else you eat during the day, ie, don't go over on your calories/carbs.

although there are plenty of other, much better, more delicious ways to get your nutrients.

edit: also what shogun said.

Szu

Strengths:
Back
Traps
Core strength
Oh....and arms

Neutral:
Legs (they're strong, but they don't quite show)
Calves
Shoulders

Weakness:
Chest
Forearms
Girly hands

sphinx

the piano man
so we hardly ever talk about gym wear: shirts, pants, etc is there a reason for that?

anyway, 3 days ago I bought 2 shirts from the brand Under Armour, first time I ever buy a shirt "compression" style. This means it's basically glued to your skin. (click here to see the product)

took a pic myself

shirt2_zps59dc5818.jpg

I really recommend it, lots of freedom, you hardly feel your sweat (goes away pretty fast) and it stretches and adapts to any move you do. I gotta say, It took a bit of courage to wear that... as you can see in the model in the link above, you are meant to have something to show :p and basically no fat in your gut.... While I understand it's just pure vanity to think about how I will look while working out, I don't want to feel I am getting ahead of myself and pretend I am what I am not, blahblah...

that being said, yesterday when I was done with chest/triceps and stared at the gym mirrors... damn, I was pleased with what I saw. Does not mean I have reached my goals, in the least, but signs of progress are always welcome.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I guess I'll go first:

Strengths:
Back
Traps
Calves
Chest

Neutral:
Forearms
Legs
Triceps

Weaknesses:
Shoulders
Biceps

lol this looks like fun. All of these are relative, of course.

Strengths:
Traps
Core (abs, lower back, obliques etc...)

Neutral:
Back maybe

Weaknesses:
Everything else

Good thing I'm not a bodybuilder. As long as I keep getting stronger and don't go above say 17-20% bf for extended periods of time I'm content. On the plus side, having child sized joints at 6'2" means that by the time I reach a decent level of mass (read: in 10 years time or if I go on roids) I'll have that bone:muscle ratio optical illusion thing going on.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
strengths:
lower pecs (strength/size)
hamstrings (size)

weeknesses:
upper pecs (size/maybe strength?)
quads (strength)
calves (size/flexibility)
back (size/strength)
shoulders (size)
ass (strength)
core (strength)

lmpaler

Greetings Fit GAF. Just stopping by to say hello, and good night as I am going to bed, but I figured I could use a place to discuss fitness and gym stuff with like minded folk, and honestly I am tired of talking to people about it who either don't really work out or have little understanding as to the amount of effort and work that goes into achieve the goals set forth for fitness.

Until next time my friends.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The great thing is I'm eating all this shit right now and still losing fat.

Fuuuuuuckyeaaaaaaaah.

BEEFARONI4DAYS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t788QP1X7jA

Haha awesome. Have you heard of Pete Rubish? The guy is both as strong and lean as hell but always sounds so depressed talking about his food, like his comment on his own video here. His advocacy of 4-Cheese Ricearoni reminds of you and your beefaroni, the difference being that his diet videos are almost black comedy whereas you seem to draw energy from just being able to use the word beefaroni in a sentence.

Imm0rt4l

Lttp shitty phone pics

so we hardly ever talk about gym wear: shirts, pants, etc is there a reason for that?

anyway, 3 days ago I bought 2 shirts from the brand Under Armour, first time I ever buy a shirt "compression" style. This means it's basically glued to your skin. (click here to see the product)

took a pic myself

shirt2_zps59dc5818.jpg

I really recommend it, lots of freedom, you hardly feel your sweat (goes away pretty fast) and it stretches and adapts to any move you do. I gotta say, It took a bit of courage to wear that... as you can see in the model in the link above, you are meant to have something to show :p and basically no fat in your gut.... While I understand it's just pure vanity to think about how I will look while working out, I don't want to feel I am getting ahead of myself and pretend I am what I am not, blahblah...

that being said, yesterday when I was done with chest/triceps and stared at the gym mirrors... damn, I was pleased with what I saw. Does not mean I have reached my goals, in the least, but signs of progress are always welcome.
I usually wear a wifebeater/tank and also I cut the sides of regular graphic t-shirts to around my obliques. I probably look like a douche, but I give no fucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom