• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

I do them as for one of the tricep days :)

ihyguzxabyaln1sltq.gif

abuC

I need to get something for weighted dips. Suggestions?

MjFrancis posted the best dip/squat belt there is with the Ironmind.

If you want a cheaper belt, just make sure the chain can fit the weights you're using. My old dip belt only had enough slack for one 45 which sucked. I use chains now or the ironmind belt.

SeanR1221

Help me out here guys.

I OHP Saturday and squatted yesterday. Normally I would bench tomorrow and deadlift Wednesday but here's the problem.

Tuesday and Thursday I'm working 12 hour days and won't be home until almost 9 (and I'll be exhausted :/)

Do I go tonight and do three days in a row (yuck) or tomorrow when I'm potentially exhausted (double yuck)

Petrie

Banned
Help me out here guys.

I OHP Saturday and squatted yesterday. Normally I would bench tomorrow and deadlift Wednesday but here's the problem.

Tuesday and Thursday I'm working 12 hour days and won't be home until almost 9 (and I'll be exhausted :/)

Do I go tonight and do three days in a row (yuck) or tomorrow when I'm potentially exhausted (double yuck)

I'd just go tomorrow and do my minimum reps.

abuC

Help me out here guys.

Today.

If you're going to be exhausted tomorrow then today is the way to go, no point in half assing it tomorrow.

SeanR1221

Today. Get it over with. Go hard so you know that you deserve that day off tomorrow. You won't regret it at the end.

Falling edge wins!!!

My rehband elbow sleeves came in too so I can try them out. I can't decide if they're a good fit or not. They're tight but not uncomfortably tight if that make sense.

I took some pictures....

Here's how far they go up before I have to use a little force and pull them up

E10DA842-0AEE-4957-A326-9BCAFF15FBFF-5845-0000028D352CD229_zpsc70f2efa.jpg

Here's how it looks with my arm straight

28733BA8-38DE-4707-8098-72C3BC801CBC-5845-0000028D3B393741_zps195a123b.jpg

And flexed

D8357F94-CAA6-4CEC-9697-B13F5F8E4AE9-5845-0000028D411B06AC_zps50d103a4.jpg

So it's compressed but I get paranoid is it compressed enough. I guess two ways of looking at it. I'm not getting any smaller, right? ;) and someone here mentioned if I wash it, it will shrink a little. What do you guys think?

Falling edge wins!!!

My rehband elbow sleeves came in too so I can try them out. I can't decide if they're a good fit or not. They're tight but not uncomfortably tight if that make sense.

I took some pictures....

So it's compressed but I get paranoid is it compressed enough. I guess two ways of looking at it. I'm not getting any smaller, right? ;) and someone here mentioned if I wash it, it will shrink a little. What do you guys think?

read this from down to up.

I thought you were posting an undershot pic of your ass.

Cudder

Busted out 5x90lb DB on the flat bench. Felt awesome man. Most I've done. I'll either try for 95lb next or try for a few more reps at 90. woooooot

First workout complete. Some bro took my towel off my water bottle and used it as a pad while he was doing his squats. The fuck.

I've seen people use towels on the bar for squats but taking someone else's? wtf
That's some weird ass understanding of gym etiquette.

Question... Why does the 5/3/1 periodisation bible and the bb 5/3/1 advocate as much as 20 reps for the accessory work? Wouldn't that go past the rep range that is most effectively going to promote sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy and enter the realm of muscular endurance? I understand there's significant overlap not only between hypertrophy and endurance but also the different types of hypertrophy, just wondering if the logic for such high rep ranges is ever stated or someone has a good idea on why.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Down to 184 this morning and abs are visable! Still got 315x5 on flat BB and 130sx4 on incline DB. Very pleased I appear to be keeping my strength!

So I'm trying to cut for the first time ever. It's the first time ever because I've never successfully bulked before. I've typically been a hard-gainer, although my old age might have slowed that down.

So I'm 225 lbs and I estimate that I should be eating 2500 kcal a day to lose about 1-1.5 lbs a week. I got a calorie tracking app (LoseIt!) and was surprised to see how many carbs I was eating despite trying to avoid them during my "eat everything I can" days. I've really improved that over the last week and am now eating more protein than anything else, although I think my fat intake is still a bit high.

This app subtracts exercise from my daily kcal totals, in other words if I burn 200 kcal during exercise, it updates my daily target from 2500 to 2700 kcal. Should I be doing that or not? I feel like I should stick to 2500 kcal and just not input my exercise into the app.

Anyway, how's all that sound? Anything else I need to be doing? Like I said, I haven't tried to cut before.
Hello old friend! Let me axe you a question? Where the hell have you been!?

Anyways, like Blackflag said earlier, don't add more calories for extra exercise. I absolutely loathe the fact that Loseit and Myfitnesspal tell you to eat more... Especially since I'm a personal trainer and I've got clients using it and they're like "Well myfitnesspal said I should be eating 3,000 calories because I ran for 45 minutes"

Cudder

Hello old friend! Let me axe you a question? Where the hell have you been!?

Anyways, like Blackflag said earlier, don't add more calories for extra exercise. I absolutely loathe the fact that Loseit and Myfitnesspal tell you to eat more... Especially since I'm a personal trainer and I've got clients using it and they're like "Well myfitnesspal said I should be eating 3,000 calories because I ran for 45 minutes"
Well I mean, they'd still be losing weight even if they ate back their calories so I don't see the big deal. I always ate back my calories. Especially because on lifting days I'm MORE likely to be hungrier FROM the exercises and cardio I do.

_Isaac

Hi, guys.

Would you guys mind taking a look at my squat form again? I'm trying to do low bar squat. Watch the video then highlight below for the twist ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcOfEhNvcA

On the fourth rep, is where I heard and felt a pop on my right hip joint I guess. You can see how startled I am and I even hold onto the power rack a bit as I walk back towards the camera. Clearly, I'm doing stuff wrong. ):

abuC

I gained 5lbs in the last month and a half, the fuck, this is with a calorie deficit and going abnormally hard in the gym.

Well I mean, they'd still be losing weight even if they ate back their calories so I don't see the big deal. I always ate back my calories. Especially because on lifting days I'm MORE likely to be hungrier FROM the exercises and cardio I do.
If your goal is to lose 2lbs a week, then you need to be at a 1,000 calorie per day deficit. Ain't no way in hell a 250lb woman is losing 2lbs a week eating 2,700 calories on exercise days only doing 2 hours and 15 minutes to 3 hours of exercise per week like these apps would advise her to do.

It's simple math. If she burns 2,100 cals on non-exercise days and 2,700 on exercise days working out 3 days a week then she burns 16,500 calories a week. Which means she needs to eat 9,500 calories OR LESS per week to lose 2 lbs. (3,500 cals = roughly 1 lb)

9,500 / 7 = 1360 calories per day.

Big-E

For a weighted dio using two benches, how far should my arms be? Shoulder length or past shoulder length. Reason I am asking is that after I finish doing a set of dips, the left side of my neck hurts a bit and I am scared I am going to fuck it up.

davidnic

Do you guys do core workouts?
Just wondering what core workout to get abs?

I am starting to get them by doing my a couple exercises over the 5 months but I am not improving in them or it hard too now. I probably do something else...

Szu

Do you guys do core workouts?
Just wondering what core workout to get abs?

I am starting to get them by doing my a couple exercises over the 5 months but I am not improving in them or it hard too now. I probably do something else...

I do a bunch.

Which level would you prefer?

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced
Bruce Lee

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, guys.

Would you guys mind taking a look at my squat form again? I'm trying to do low bar squat. Watch the video then highlight below for the twist ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcOfEhNvcA

On the fourth rep, is where I heard and felt a pop on my right hip joint I guess. You can see how startled I am and I even hold onto the power rack a bit as I walk back towards the camera. Clearly, I'm doing stuff wrong. ):

Well, the fourth rep was noticeably lower than the others, which seemed to break parallel by the bare minimum. Fifth rep was high. If there was no pain when you heard the pop it's possible that it was a stretch reflex in your hips/posterior chain. It's hard to tell from the angle but maybe shove your knees out more to 'open up' your hips in the hole. Start foam rolling and doing some dynamic mobility if you don't, if you do add a little more. Everything else looks good.

_Isaac

Well, the fourth rep was noticeably lower than the others, which seemed to break parallel by the bare minimum. Fifth rep was high. If there was no pain when you heard the pop it's possible that it was a stretch reflex in your hips/posterior chain. It's hard to tell from the angle but maybe shove your knees out more to 'open up' your hips in the hole. Start foam rolling and doing some dynamic mobility if you don't, if you do add a little more. Everything else looks good.

Fifth rep was definitely high. I was still a little shaken by the pop there. I don't think there was pain when I heard the pop, but I did start feeling pain about an hour later, and I still feel pain right now. It now hurts to raise my right leg up. I have also been doing foam rolling and mobility exercises for the past few weeks, so the pop was especially surprising. I'll have to see if maybe my knees aren't out enough. Thanks for your comments, A More Normal Bird.

Cudder

If your goal is to lose 2lbs a week, then you need to be at a 1,000 calorie per day deficit. Ain't no way in hell a 250lb woman is losing 2lbs a week eating 2,700 calories on exercise days only doing 2 hours and 15 minutes to 3 hours of exercise per week like these apps would advise her to do.

It's simple math. If she burns 2,100 cals on non-exercise days and 2,700 on exercise days working out 3 days a week then she burns 16,500 calories a week. Which means she needs to eat 9,500 calories OR LESS per week to lose 2 lbs. (3,500 cals = roughly 1 lb)

9,500 / 7 = 1360 calories per day.
I don't know why you're trying to prove a point with a hypothetical woman and hypothetical numbers all over the place. All I'm saying is, if a person tracks what they eat, and also tracks their exercise, they can eat back their calories burned from exercise and still lose weight, if they'd still be in a caloric deficit for the day.

I get uncomfortable and somewhat painful clicks in my rotator cuffs when doing bench presses or shoulder press machines. Is this a common issue, or should I get it checked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom