• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idde

Does anybody have any advice about achieving proper squat depth? I'm struggling with getting a good depth on my 1RM. At 3x310 some are barely parallel, some just above. The problem is that I completely stall at the bottom. I'm not completely gassed after that, so for 1RM I would like to go up ten pounds. I just really struggle at the bottom.

Already tried loading the bar up to 400 lbs and just walking out, to get used to a higher weight. Helps a lot with how 310 feels just standing, but it still feels heavy when I'm low.

despire

Hi, guys.

Would you guys mind taking a look at my squat form again? I'm trying to do low bar squat. Watch the video then highlight below for the twist ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcOfEhNvcA

On the fourth rep, is where I heard and felt a pop on my right hip joint I guess. You can see how startled I am and I even hold onto the power rack a bit as I walk back towards the camera. Clearly, I'm doing stuff wrong. ):

Man you don't look like your avatar like at all :p

Does anybody have any advice about achieving proper squat depth? I'm struggling with getting a good depth on my 1RM. At 3x310 some are barely parallel, some just above. The problem is that I completely stall at the bottom. I'm not completely gassed after that, so for 1RM I would like to go up ten pounds. I just really struggle at the bottom.

Already tried loading the bar up to 400 lbs and just walking out, to get used to a higher weight. Helps a lot with how 310 feels just standing, but it still feels heavy when I'm low.

You're weak in the bottom position. Do pause squats in the hole, or do Anderson squats (ie. pin squats) from the bottom position.

Petrie

Banned
Hello old friend! Let me axe you a question? Where the hell have you been!?

Anyways, like Blackflag said earlier, don't add more calories for extra exercise. I absolutely loathe the fact that Loseit and Myfitnesspal tell you to eat more... Especially since I'm a personal trainer and I've got clients using it and they're like "Well myfitnesspal said I should be eating 3,000 calories because I ran for 45 minutes"

Why the hell wouldn't you eat more then?

Chittagong

Gold Member

This is where I struggle too. I have this tiny bit in the lower end of my range where the weight just rushes down. So I start squatting heavy and it goes like SLOW - SLOW - WHOOOOOSH - SLOW. That bit is the reason for most my failed reps. I'll have to look into muntersaur's suggestion.

MiKeD

Banned
As far as I can tell, you are still very much a beginner even if you did that particular program so yes, I would still recommend you do starting strength. You need to build a base to build upon. I know you say that you want to focus on a stronger upper body which is fine, but do not neglect legs. Read the article that SeanR1221 posted just a few posts up. Working out the legs doing heavy squats/deadlifts will help stimulate muscle growth everywhere.

I highly recommend that you do not try to make your own program just based off the exercise pages from BB.com. We have all been there and in the end, you will just end up failing due to lack of knowledge. Why are you doing a certain lift over the other? How are you handling stalls? How are you tracking progress? This is just something that as a beginner, you do not know. Do the OP and go from there. As you start to understand more and more about the basics, then you can start to branch out.

Alright, thanks for answering. At least someone who has the decency to try and help me out.

Cudder

You can't do the full ROM but you want to add MORE weight for your 1RM? Check your ego at the door and lighten the weight.

Dash27

There are good crossfit gyms, and there are a lot of bad ones. If there isn't a systematic prgression of some kind, there's an issue with your programming. If you don't have a strong foundation of strength, then you won't be a well-rounded athlete. Strong comes first, as it makes everything else easier to get, and you need to have enough recovery left to get stronger. You also don't want to hurt yourself, so certain movements and programming that can be common in crossfit (kipping, SDHP, technical movements for time) is bad.

If you've read rippetoe's work and done some independent research, then I'm not saying anything you don't already know! I'm sure you can evaluate your own situation better than we can. For what it's worth, I like crossfit's conditioning workouts (in moderation). Keep us posted!

Thanks for the post. I really like my crossfit gym, close friends with the owner. He's had Rippetoe for the seminar at his gym back before Rip fell out with Crossfit and Glassman. He still goes to the Rippetoe seminars. I did Starting Strength at this crossfit and 5/3/1 as well.

I think we've found a good balance. I can do pure strength training in the cold weather months, then a mix of strength and crossfit in the warm. It works for me.

SeanR1221

Thanks for the post. I really like my crossfit gym, close friends with the owner. He's had Rippetoe for the seminar at his gym back before Rip fell out with Crossfit and Glassman. He still goes to the Rippetoe seminars. I did Starting Strength at this crossfit and 5/3/1 as well.

I think we've found a good balance. I can do pure strength training in the cold weather months, then a mix of strength and crossfit in the warm. It works for me.

You seem really knowledgible, Dash. I think you're fine. If my local crossfit wasn't so expensive I'd go to it. I'd love having the bumper plates and all the free barbells.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, thanks for answering. At least someone who has the decency to try and help me out.

You know you're not paying anyone in this thread for advice, right? There is an OP that contains all of the information a beginner should need that you chose to disregard (without providing a reason, I might add). You might find that people are more willing to help you out if you maintain a positive and inquiring mindset instead of a curt and demanding one.

SeanR1221

You know you're not paying anyone in this thread for advice, right? There is an OP that contains all of the information a beginner should need that you chose to disregard (without providing a reason, I might add). You might find that people are more willing to help you out if you maintain a positive and inquiring mindset instead of a curt and demanding one.

Yeah just noticed his response. With that attitude people will purposely not respond.

despire

Yeah just noticed his response. With that attitude people will purposely not respond.

My initial response might have been a bit on the blunt and short side but I didn't really have time to start writing a long post at the time and I figured someone would be better explaining it anyway. Also the OP.

JB1981

Rippetoe's latest article on T-Nation is fantastic.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rippetoe_throws_down

The ill-informed think that variety is the objective and that boredom is the enemy, that the pump, sweat, fatigue, and soreness are the hallmarks and the objective of an effective workout, not realizing that these things are just the side-effects of what happened today, and aren't the indicators of progress.

The uninformed don't understand that athletes getting stronger are not "bore-able," that measurable increases in the weight used on the basic exercises are required, and that the inclusion of new "moves" in every workout – exercises that inherently lack the ability to drive basic strength – don't accomplish a thing if strength is the objective.

They lose sight of the fact that "muscle confusion" is a rather odd concept, and that doing dozens of different exercises actually prevents productive training for strength acquisition. This is the nuts and bolts difference between effective strength training and wasting time and potential.

How many times have you seen the following?
•Magazine articles about the variety of exercises available for "doing arms," "legs," "back," "abs," or, worst of all, "The Core." (Ah yes, the fucking core – the thing that's always stronger on a man with a 500-pound squat.)
•Infomercials for weight loss or "ab" development programs that emphasize the number of exercises available to accomplish this miraculous transformation.
•New York Times pieces about the new "moves" (exercises) for 2013 for firming and toning your abs/inner thighs/outer thighs/arms/neck/"sidemeat"/"Buttissimo."
•Books written by physical therapists that detail the different exercises that are absolutely necessary to strengthen your core – all of them absolutely necessary, none of them programmable for improvement for 6 months, or even 6 weeks, because they can't be.

Successful lifters, bodybuilders, and strength athletes all have one thing in common: their training is based around six or seven basic barbell movements, and the variables that are manipulated are volume, intensity, and rest, not the number of exercises.

Because there aren't very many exercises that can actually be trained.

First, "Training" and "Exercise" are different things entirely. Training is the process of directed physical stress, which results in an adaptation that satisfies a performance goal.

Since different performances require different physical abilities, and different tasks produce different types of stress, and since stress causes an adaptation (if you can recover from it), different physical abilities are therefore acquired by doing different physical tasks – and the training stresses that facilitate these different adaptations must be specific to the performance goal being trained for.

Duh, right?

Exercise ignores this fact. Exercise is what happens when you go to the gym and do exactly the same thing you did last time you went to the gym, or when you do P90X, CrossFit, or any other randomized program.

These activities are performed for one reason: the effect they produce for you today, right now. Fucking around in the gym is merely punching the ticket – you showed up, moved some stuff around, got sweaty, tired, and maybe out of breath, but you did the same thing Friday as you did Wednesday, and now that you think of it, the same thing you did Monday.

The harder programs like CrossFit and P90X are about the "burn," the sweat, the heart rate, the feeling of being "gassed" or "thrashed" or "fried" or "crushed" – they're about the perceived physical effects of the workout or immediately after the exercises are performed.

The random nature of the exercises ensures that you'll be "crushed" every time, because it guarantees that you won't adapt to the work. Either way, they're really about what happens today.

Noema

Hi, guys.

Would you guys mind taking a look at my squat form again? I'm trying to do low bar squat. Watch the video then highlight below for the twist ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcOfEhNvcA

On the fourth rep, is where I heard and felt a pop on my right hip joint I guess. You can see how startled I am and I even hold onto the power rack a bit as I walk back towards the camera. Clearly, I'm doing stuff wrong. ):

It's hard to judge from this angle, but it seems you could carry the bar a bit lower on your back if you are doing low bar.

Also, you seem to be losing lumbar extension at the bottom in a couple of reps, probably as a result of trying to reach proper depth. Try widening your foot placement and shoving your knees out a bit more. Don't forget to keep your chest tight throughout.

nilbog21

Banned
WOMEN WILL NOT DISTRACT ME FROM MY ULTIMATE FITNESS GOALS

iWKZFeCbqlw4c.gif

LOL?

ezrarh

Never ever even have any social interaction with women if you value your gains.

I can attest to this. I went on a date to go rock climbing last Saturday. Came down with a stomach bug later that night. Haven't lifted for a little bit over a week, lost some pretty big gains man. Just stay away from women guys. And maybe fiveguys burgers.

Idde

You're weak in the bottom position. Do pause squats in the hole, or do Anderson squats (ie. pin squats) from the bottom position.

Thanks, I'll definitely add pause squats. We only have a squat rack, not a power rack, so pin squats are fairly difficult to pull off. Do you have any suggestion with how much weight that should be done? 80%?

You can't do the full ROM but you want to add MORE weight for your 1RM? Check your ego at the door and lighten the weight.

It's for a powerlift competition in two weeks, so yes, I want to add more weight. If my 1RM with proper depth will be 310, so be it. Everything on top of that will be gravy. That's why I asked for advice :)

Thanks, I'll definitely add pause squats. We only have a squat rack, not a power rack, so pin squats are fairly difficult to pull off. Do you have any suggestion with how much weight that should be done? 80%?

It's for a powerlift competition in two weeks, so yes, I want to add more weight. If my 1RM with proper depth will be 310, so be it. Everything on top of that will be gravy. That's why I asked for advice :)

Yeah, about 80% would be a good start, maybe a bit less if you are really weak in the hole. Hold the pause for at least three seconds to completely eliminate the stretch reflex. This will certainly allow you to increase your max.

SeanR1221

I really do not like Rippetoe. Beyond the obvious that squats, deadlifts and bench press can be trained consistently to make someone strong, there is not much to that article.

There's a lot to that post. What's obvious to you isn't obvious to the vast majority of people in the gym.

nilbog21

Banned
for those taking protein supplements:

Could you tell me your weight and how much protein you take a day on average, and when (morning, post-workout, etc). also do you take protein supplements during off days? maybe less?

bjb

Banned
I really do not like Rippetoe. Beyond the obvious that squats, deadlifts and bench press can be trained consistently to make someone strong, there is not much to that article.

Realizing that Riptoe has made a career off of organizing and regurgitating Bill Starr's work puts things into perspective. His cult and hilariously devoted followers not withstanding.

Could you tell me your weight and how much protein you take a day on average, and when (morning, post-workout, etc). also do you take protein supplements during off days? maybe less?

6'2, 235.

I try to consume at least around 200 g a day.

nilbog21

Banned
holy fuck 200g ? isn't that bad for the kidneys or something

btw i had an argument with a friend, who said eating 6+ egg yolks a day is fine, but i told him he should probably throw away some of those yolks because the protein/nutrition value in yolks is not worth all the cholesterol. i did some research and it seems the science behind it is pretty dubious.. what do you guys think?

SeanR1221

Don't over think protein supplements. They're simple used to help you hit your macros. Try to get 1g of protein per pound everyday. You don't "need" that much, but that's the safe bet everyone does (since the real requirement is by lean body mass but who knows that!)

So I eat 180-200g a day. It's pretty easy.

Chicken/shrimp and eggs for breakfasts

Chicken/tuna for lunch

Fish/chicken for dinner

holy fuck 200g ? isn't that bad for the kidneys or something

Nah, you are fine.

And sorry, I read that wrong, I take around 40-50 g of protein in powder form. (2 scoops). The rest is in whole foods.

200g for me. Sometimes more but at that point, I'm not actively trying to consume more calories in protein.

Cudder

Don't over think protein supplements. They're simple used to help you hit your macros. Try to get 1g of protein per pound everyday. You don't "need" that much, but that's the safe bet everyone does (since the real requirement is by lean body mass but who knows that!)

So I eat 180-200g a day. It's pretty easy.

Chicken/shrimp and eggs for breakfasts

Chicken/tuna for lunch

Fish/chicken for dinner

not sure if srs.

LBM is just your total weight - your weight in body fat.

Szu

5'10, 184 lbs.

Breakfast - Egg whites and Turkey sausage = about 20 grams
Lunch - Chicken salad = about 30 grams
Pre-workout Protien bar or shake = about 30 grams
Post-workout Protein shake = about 30 grams
Dinner (mostly chicken and fish) = about 30 grams (could be higher)
Optional casien protein shake = about 25 grams

Total = about 140-160 grams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom