• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The deadlift is a strange beast, seemingly resilient to weight cuts and body recompositions. It's kind of cool, actually.
It's crazy to think of it like that. You are years out from hitting your prime. Are you going to continue on 5/3/1 or have you considered an alternative such as Westside?

I've considered west side, but it focuses around geared lifting. I'd like to think I can take 5/3/1 and West side and make a sort of frankenstein's monster. I'll have to really look into Westside though and sift through as much material as possible. I can definitely tell I need more maximal work.

I noticed you hit the underside (or front) of the rack on the way up...I've done this...scares the shit out of me.

Yeah, that power rack is a bitch. I hit it when I was doing squats too in the other video. That's why I pause for so long before going down because I'm stabilizing the weight.

Cudder

Also, I need to remember I've only really been training for 2 years and 8 months. I gots time.
U wot m8?

Holy shit, had the impression you've been lifting way longer than that.

On another note, I've been taking a break from BB bench and have been doing DB for the last few weeks. I think I'm falling in love lol. Seriously love the DB bench press.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
U wot m8?

Holy shit, had the impression you've been lifting way longer than that.

On another note, I've been taking a break from BB bench and have been doing DB for the last few weeks. I think I'm falling in love lol. Seriously love the DB bench press.

Started August 2010 when I was 29.

I love DB bench too, but IMO don't neglect barbell. You will kick yourself later.

ToxicAdam

My issue with DB bench is that once you get into higher weights (90+) its a pain in the ass to lug them around. Especially if you want to do drop sets or what not. So much more convenient with the BB.

abuC

My issue with DB bench is that once you get into higher weights (90+) its a pain in the ass to lug them around. Especially if you want to do drop sets or what not. So much more convenient with the BB.

You don't put them on the ground and roll them?

And if I do drop sets I have all my weights already by the bench I'm using, hording them like a pack rat.

Some other bro - Bro, you using those bro?

Me- Yeah, doing a drop set bro, only 2 more left bro

Some other bro - Cool bro, need a spot bro?

Me - Nah bro, thanks though bro.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I wish you guys could see this conversation I'm having on FB. Dude is claiming to be 216lbs with these numbers.

Bench is 495, Squat 575 and Deadlift 615

Completely raw, not even a belt.

That's WELL above elite.

This is the same guy that claims to OHP 375.

MjFrancis

I took nearly two weeks off from lifting since I was on vacation and nowhere near a set of weights. I've come back this week and I'm going to continue running a variation of 5/3/1. It's 4x/week with the Simplest Strength Template used as a guide for the upper body days and the Boring But Big template for the lower body days.

Press 5/3/1
CGBP (SST)
Lats, upper back, triceps, biceps
Pull-ups between all sets

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front squat 5x10 reps @50% 1RM
Straight leg deadlift 5x10 reps @ baby weights
Hanging leg raises 5x5+

Bench press 5/3/1
Log press (SST)

Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10 reps @ 50% 1RM
Good morning 5x10 reps @ baby weights
Hanging leg raises 5x5+

Simplest Strength Template lifts
Week One - 50%x10, 60%x10, 70%x10
Week Two - 60%x8, 70%x8, 80%x6
Week Three - 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5
Weel Four - 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5

---

I don't want to burn out on upper body assistance so I don't quite know what to do there yet. Wendler recommends 3x10-20 reps on lats, upper back, triceps and biceps. I like pull-ups but 50-100 reps between sets on top of 12 sets of 120-240 reps is a lot of fucking volume for me, even at light weight. It's assistance work though so I won't sweat it and I'll just keep my eye on improving my press, CGBP, bench and log press. Ideally I'd get a dip station and do a combination of dips/pull-ups as assistance and call that good. Dips and pull-ups have great training economy, but I don't have a dip station and loathe dips on gymnastic rings.

So... what upper body assistance would you choose given the SST template and a barbell set in a squat cage? I've also got a pair of gymnastic rings and two 1 pood kettlebells if those help with any ideas. As stated, I'm not sweating this assistance but I thought I'd fish for some ideas from FitGAF.

abuC

I wish you guys could see this conversation I'm having on FB. Dude is claiming to be 216lbs with these numbers.

That's WELL above elite.

LOL, 375 OHP would be insane, he'd be one giant shoulder muscle.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I took nearly two weeks off from lifting since I was on vacation and nowhere near a set of weights. I've come back this week and I'm going to continue running a variation of 5/3/1. It's 4x/week with the Simplest Strength Template used as a guide for the upper body days and the Boring But Big template for the lower body days.

Press 5/3/1
CGBP (SST)

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front squat 5x10 reps @50% 1RM
Straight leg deadlift 5x10 reps @ baby weights
Hanging leg raises 5x5+

Bench press 5/3/1
Log press (SST)

Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10 reps @ 50% 1RM
Good morning 5x10 reps @ baby weights
Hanging leg raises 5x5+

---

I don't want to burn out on upper body assistance so I don't quite know what to do there yet. Wendler recommends 3x10-20 reps on lats, upper back, triceps and biceps. I like pull-ups but 50-100 reps between sets on top of 12 sets of 120-240 reps is a lot of fucking volume for me, even at light weight. It's assistance work though so I won't sweat it and I'll just keep my eye on improving my press, CGBP, bench and log press. Ideally I'd get a dip station and do a combination of dips/pull-ups as assistance and call that good. Dips and pull-ups have great training economy, but I don't have a dip station and loathe dips on gymnastic rings.

So... what upper body assistance would you choose given the SST template and a barbell set in a squat cage? I've also got a pair of gymnastic rings and two 1 pood kettlebells if those help with any ideas. As stated, I'm not sweating this assistance but I thought I'd fish for some ideas from FitGAF.

IMO can't go wrong with LTE/Dips and rows. For "upper body days." On bench days I like to do a (MP style) assistance work with the incline bench. And on MP days I like to do a bench style assistance with DB bench.

I'd definitely make sure the back/rear delt work outweighs the bench work though. Even throwing in extra stuff like band pull aparts and facepulls.

Do you have two barbells? YOu can use them in the cage to make a dip stand.

That's WELL above elite.

I could believe the squat and dead if he didn't have a history of lying.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I could believe the squat and dead if he didn't have a history of lying.

He's a guy I served with too, and he's still SF. Those guys were doing HGH and other shit back when I knew them before. I'm near positive he's still doing some of that shit. Especially since I've brought it up several times in the conversation and he hasn't touched it.

Even at that, I don't believe his numbers. I've also asked for videos and he says he will post them, but never does. He's a big dude though (jacked and not fat). His numbers are just WAY too high to be "right." Especially when considering weightlifting standards and the fact he says he uses absolutely no equipment.

kylej

Banned

tumblr_lnqtnepit71qegv2k.gif

ToxicAdam

You don't put them on the ground and roll them?

And if I do drop sets I have all my weights already by the bench I'm using, hording them like a pack rat.

I work out in a YMCA. They have all the DB's and benches crammed into the corner of the building. There is about a 6 x 20 strip of real estate to work with. You literally have to walk over people just to get your weights from the rack to the spot where your flat bench is.

I mean it's doable. But it's just a hassle.

abuC

I work out in a YMCA. They have all the DB's and benches crammed into the corner of the building. There is about a 6 x 20 strip of real estate to work with. You literally have to walk over people just to get your weights from the rack to the spot where your flat bench is.

I mean it's doable. But it's just a hassle.

Well then, just think of it as doing farmers walk.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

That's WELL above elite.

I think the 375 OHP is nail in the coffin for determining he is full of shit.

ezrarh

That's WELL above elite.

Squat and deadlift numbers aren't too ridiculous but that OHP tells me he's bullshitting. Then again, he could be 5'6" and 216 lbs.

That's WELL above elite.

FWIW, those numbers aren't TOO crazy. I lifted with a 22 year old a few years ago who pulled 600 lbs raw (belt) at around 190 lbs and squatted something like 450 lbs. His bench was only around 300 at the time, though. Your guy's bench is ridiculous.

This was about 5 years ago--he's doing even better now, though he's moved up to 200 lbs or so.

Ashodin

Hey FitGAF! I'm new to this thread, but I'd like some information on what to do after I reach my goal fat to muscle % to start building muscle. I've been walking just about every day for the past three weeks, and I'm losing weight at a good clip (about 2 lbs a week). I already do Intermittent Fasting and eat fiber in the mornings for good digestion.

My main spots on my body that need work are the torso area, the legs are getting toned, and arms are already very skinny. I'll take a pic later for you to analyze, if you'd like.

Thanks!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FWIW, those numbers aren't TOO crazy. I lifted with a 22 year old a few years ago who pulled 600 lbs raw (belt) at around 190 lbs and squatted something like 450 lbs. His bench was only around 300 at the time, though. Your guy's bench is ridiculous.

This was about 5 years ago--he's doing even better now, though he's moved up to 200 lbs or so.

It's not the individual numbers, but the total AND saying he doesn't use ANY (no belt or anything) gear. Then you throw in that OHP and it's all very questionable. At the very least he's using PEDs imo. Regardless, if those numbers ARE true he should be competing, bottom line.

Oh, then there's this when I asked him his routine.

Im doing chest and back today for example. I'll do probably 35-40 sets of chest and the end of each exercise is muscle failure

Followed by this.

right now im doing nothing but supersets and drop sets

MjFrancis

IMO can't go wrong with LTE/Dips and rows. For "upper body days." On bench days I like to do a (MP style) assistance work with the incline bench. And on MP days I like to do a bench style assistance with DB bench.

I'd definitely make sure the back/rear delt work outweighs the bench work though. Even throwing in extra stuff like band pull aparts and facepulls.

Do you have two barbells? You can use them in the cage to make a dip stand.
I should get another barbell. That's been suggested, I've just yet to act on it. Should be easy enough to find a decent barbell on Craigslist. LTE's, rows, and incline bench are all great suggestions I'll keep in mind. Shit, LTE's and barbell curls are real easy to put at the end of any upper body day without absolutely destroying me.

I wish I could do face pulls but I don't have a pulley system. I currently do rear flys by taking a bumper plate in each hand and grasping them by the 2" center. Whatever works, right?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I should get another barbell. That's been suggested, I've just yet to act on it. Should be easy enough to find a decent barbell on Craigslist. LTE's, rows, and incline bench are all great suggestions I'll keep in mind. Shit, LTE's and barbell curls are real easy to put at the end of any upper body day without absolutely destroying me.

I wish I could do face pulls but I don't have a pulley system. I currently do rear flys by taking a bumper plate in each hand and grasping them by the 2" center. Whatever works, right?

That's exactly what I do. I'll post my current routine for reference.

Squat

BBB Squat (moving to this next week), Romanian deadlift 5x10. Weighted situps.

Benchpress

Incline BB 5x10, Pendlay row 5x10, Pullups 5x13, weighted dips 5x10 (superset with curls).

deadlift

5s progression front squat (changing to this next week). good mornings 5x10 ab work.

Military press

DB bench 5x10, tbar row 5x10, pullups 5x13, LTE 5x10 (superset with curls).

All pushing movements are superset with either band pull aparts, rear delt flys or face pulls. I just don't count them in my routine. I count them as more "prehab."

It's not the individual numbers, but the total AND saying he doesn't use ANY (no belt or anything) gear. Then you throw in that OHP and it's all very questionable. At the very least he's using PEDs imo. Regardless, if those numbers ARE true he should be competing, bottom line.

Oh, then there's this when I asked him his routine.

Followed by this.

Aaaah, gotcha--missed the "no belt" part.

Either he's a freak of nature (lol), taking PEDs (likely), or a bench monkey who does half/quarter reps on squat/dead (very likely).

I do know someone at my gym who deads 500+ raw, no belt, for reps (I THINK he does it double overhand, too...!), but he's a tall, burly fellow, easily 250 lbs.

Absolutely disgusted with myself.

I've regressed a year's worth of progress on my bench (maybe). The only good thing is I weighed in at 229 today.

I may have made a mistake of jumping from 355 to 375. But that shouldn't have mattered. I should have gotten 375 no problem. Hopefully deadlift doesn't let me down tomorrow.

375 fail (this was the second attempt at 375)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj2EbjOnSw

355 good, but this was my max a year and a half ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-CmmlGjXU

Probably due to poor programming after my cut and the fact I'm still leaning out, plus I'm a bitch.

I still feel like a bitch. I need/want 400.

Will watch vids when I get home but chin up sir. You will get there eventually!

---------------

6 reps @ 350 for squat. I know I could have done more but I decided to do leg press first since people were taking too long to get off the rack. I had another 2 in me. I know it!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Will watch vids when I get home but chin up sir. You will get there eventually!

---------------

6 reps @ 350 for squat. I know I could have done more but I decided to do leg press first since people were taking too long to get off the rack. I had another 2 in me. I know it!

Thanks man, your 1rm is likely over 405-425 as well!

Aaaah, gotcha--missed the "no belt" part.

Either he's a freak of nature (lol), taking PEDs (likely), or a bench monkey who does half/quarter reps on squat/dead (very likely).

I do know someone at my gym who deads 500+ raw, no belt, for reps (I THINK he does it double overhand, too...!), but he's a tall, burly fellow, easily 250 lbs.

Verbatim

yeah I know what it is. I never liked it (in reference to 5/3/1). You don't do enough reps and enough sets of a exercise. I tired and felt like I got weaker. I went back to a different workout and everything went back up. Bench is 495, Squat 575 and Deadlift 615. I never use belts, wrist wraps or knee wraps.

Imm0rt4l

That's WELL above elite.

Seems legit

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
receipts.gif

Or maybe, videos.gif is more appropriate.

I've been asking for videos for the better part of a year. Ever since he claimed that OHP. I should reiterate he IS jacked though, but those numbers are not realistic and I'd play the odds he's lying or doing incomplete reps like you said.

Edit: On a lighter note.

68996_514500701920507_1198265666_n.jpg

Absolutely disgusted with myself.

I've regressed a year's worth of progress on my bench (maybe). The only good thing is I weighed in at 229 today.

I may have made a mistake of jumping from 355 to 375. But that shouldn't have mattered. I should have gotten 375 no problem. Hopefully deadlift doesn't let me down tomorrow.

375 fail (this was the second attempt at 375)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj2EbjOnSw

355 good, but this was my max a year and a half ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-CmmlGjXU

Probably due to poor programming after my cut and the fact I'm still leaning out, plus I'm a bitch.

I still feel like a bitch. I need/want 400.

Damn Man. You would have got that no problem if you had sacrificed control for speed on the way down. Amazing strength regardless though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
At least my Adidas Adipowers came in. I can use them Saturday when I check my Military press.

Damn Man. You would have got that no problem if you had sacrificed control for speed on the way down. Amazing strength regardless though.

Eh, I really, really needed to control it, haha. Thanks though.

weed_maniac

Neo Member
First time in this thread so, hi everyone

Height: 1,68m
Weight: Between 50~60kilos, yup, that light
Goal: Biceps, shoulders, chest area, abs and legs.
Current Training Schedule: Don't really have a schedule, I may stop for days/weeks from working out if I have to. But usually I do a bit of jogging, pushups, crunches day yes, day no.
Current Training Equipment Available: I probably am going to buy(considering the available money) this set of weights - (http://www.sportzone.pt/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=04869346&oid=7|30|125|&c=1048) but other than that I have no equipment and I don't go to the gym.
Comments: So...questions...
- Which routine should I be doing?
- Is doing plain push-ups and crunches that bad?
- Which is the best exercise to build up the chest area?

Hey FitGAF! I'm new to this thread, but I'd like some information on what to do after I reach my goal fat to muscle % to start building muscle. I've been walking just about every day for the past three weeks, and I'm losing weight at a good clip (about 2 lbs a week). I already do Intermittent Fasting and eat fiber in the mornings for good digestion.

My main spots on my body that need work are the torso area, the legs are getting toned, and arms are already very skinny. I'll take a pic later for you to analyze, if you'd like.

Thanks!

You can't spot reduce areas so while your torso "needs work", you can't expect to just target the gut to lose the fat.

Read the OP and start on Starting Strength and go from there.

First time in this thread so, hi everyone

Height: 1,68m
Weight: Between 50~60kilos, yup, that light
Goal: Biceps, shoulders, chest area, abs and legs.
Current Training Schedule: Don't really have a schedule, I may stop for days/weeks from working out if I have to. But usually I do a bit of jogging, pushups, crunches day yes, day no.
Current Training Equipment Available: I probably am going to buy(considering the available money) this set of weights - (http://www.sportzone.pt/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=04869346&oid=7|30|125|&c=1048) but other than that I have no equipment and I don't go to the gym.
Comments: So...questions...
- Which routine should I be doing?
- Is doing plain push-ups and crunches that bad?
- Which is the best exercise to build up the chest area?

Is there a reason why you don't go do the gym? As mentioned before, read the OP and do Starting Strength if you can. Best bang for your metabolic buck.

zychi

Banned
I really want to get these quest bars but as a student they're just a bit too on the expensive side.. :/
Just a bit over £2 a bar here, can get half grilled chicken for £4, or even half a kilo of uncooked chicken for £4 so its obvious what the choice is going to be for me.

I know this thread loves them and praises they taste great, but I bought a box of the brownie, and it tastes like chalk.

I now mix it in with my milk and creatine in the blender with a little whey. Wasted $25 on em :/

I know this thread loves them and praises they taste great, but I bought a box of the brownie, and it tastes like chalk.

I now mix it in with my milk and creatine in the blender with a little whey. Wasted $25 on em :/

I heard the PB ones are really good.

Petrie

Banned

Brownie was the worst I tried, too tough a texture. I'm told you should heat them up.

Don't know how anyone could think it tastes like chalk unless they we're expecting a sugary powerbar though.

blackflag

That's WELL above elite.

OHP 375 wut?

Would need to see to ever believe that. The other numbers while amazing are not totally unbelievable I don't think...just highly inprobable.

blackflag

Yeah I don't think anyone in this thread really recommended brownie though. Those are hard and you gotta microwave them. Once you do that they don't taste bad but that was their first try. Most of the others are amazing.

SeanR1221

Half way through my cut (and halfway to my wedding) so I suppose a progress picture is in order. Weighed in at 200 this morning but I've stopped letting the scale bother me.

AECADAB3-4807-4C10-8762-93C9DC3E0E29-9237-000003FBBF4B71C2_zps4ccde6cc.jpg

And for reference here I am pre bulk

3F0A4AE7-3294-496C-9F04-6D71388C45F0-9237-000003FBC409349E_zpsddfe254f.jpg

blackflag

Never tried these bars. Guess I will order some PB ones to see what the hype is all about.

Here are the good ones imo.

Peanut Butter and Jelly
Peanut Butter Supreme
Banana Nut Muffin
Apple Pie
Cinnamon Roll
Coconut Cashew

Chocolate chip cookie dough is supposed to be the bomb but it's only sold by Quest directly and a few GNC stores and their site.

blackflag

Half way through my cut (and halfway to my wedding) so I suppose a progress picture is in order. Weighed in at 200 this morning but I've stopped letting the scale bother me.

Great job man. Yeah I gave up on the scale. I weighed 260 this morning lol. Just have to go from measurements from no0w on.

sphinx

the piano man

there is a very noticeable improvement in your shoulders, congrats!

how many weeks/months apart are those pics??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom