• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah, check what your eating and try bumping it up a bit if it is too low and see if that makes a diffrence.

I asked that a few weeks ago and at more accordingly. It definitely helped and my lifts went up like normal. Think I'll try eating even more again though since now that I think of it I haven't eaten nearly as much as before.

All right folks, make me a quest bar cookie dough convert.

I heated that shit on the uwave and it was freaking awesome! So many noms for so little carbs!

Anyway, today's lifts:

QuestBar Squat 305x3x5
Overquest Press 130x3x5
Chinups BW 3x5 (I will need to get a backpack or a dip belt soon, but I am poor!)

Keto is going all right I guess. Got my ketostix and it showed moderate ketosis today, wich is great but my brain's been complaining. I have been making some basic mistakes at work and teaching, which is really unfortunate, I hope I get smart soon or I'll have to drop this diet.

Yesterday's macros were almost picture perfect:

Cals 2,493
Carbs 7
Fats 182
Protein 178

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Color me surprised! Got 23 reps of 225 tonight on bench. Was 186 this morning for an added bonus. :)

Irobot82

FitGaF

I've been lifting off and on now for about a year. Haven't had the determination yet to really stick to it. One of my biggest obstacles is my diet. Let's say I'm trying to build muscle. So I'm eating 3000 calories a day. If I am lifting 3 days a week, it's easy for me to eat 3k on those day. On the remainder days I'm supposed to eat that much but I have a hard time justifying to myself to consume that much food? Does anyone else have this issue?

giga

FitGaF

I've been lifting off and on now for about a year. Haven't had the determination yet to really stick to it. One of my biggest obstacles is my diet. Let's say I'm trying to build muscle. So I'm eating 3000 calories a day. If I am lifting 3 days a week, it's easy for me to eat 3k on those day. On the remainder days I'm supposed to eat that much but I have a hard time justifying to myself to consume that much food? Does anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I feel like a fatass eating 2500 on my rest days. I just started though and have very little knowledge of what's right or wrong.

Cooter

FitGaF

You need to look at this as a multi year project. Doing this will help you cope with the extra fat you gain during a bulk because your eye will always be on the prize which lies a few years down the road. Learn to disregard the short-term and focus almost entirely on the long-term when it comes to your appearance. The only short-term thing you need to worry about is the progress you're showing with your strength. Everything else will take care of itself. Simple concept but it can be very trying. I hope that helped a little.

Irobot82

You need to look at this as a multi year project. Doing this will help you cope with the extra fat you gain during a bulk because your eye will always be on the prize which lies a few years down the road. Learn to disregard the short-term and focus almost entirely on the long-term when it comes to your appearance. The only short-term thing you need to worry about is the progress you're showing with your strength. Everything else will take care of itself. Simple concept but it can be very trying. I hope that helped a little.

Ok so it really is ok to eat 3000 calories every day?

My meal plan leads to about a 3000 calorie diet.

Breakfast is Omelet, Chicken Sausage and Golden Potato.
650 Cals, 39g P, 30g C, 43g F

Snack Cottage Cheese w/ Honey
153 Cals, 11g P, 22g C, 15g F

Lunch Chicken Breast, Brown Rice, Brocolli
472 Cals, 51g P, 51g C, 10g F
(also dinner meal but I do have some variations like salmon and asparagus)

Afternoon Snack Mixed Nuts sea salt and Apple
300 Cals, 6g P, 41g C, 15g F

Then I eat a shake after my workout, it's a doozie, I won't go into the details unless someone wants it but it breaks down to
994 Cals, 89g P, 104g C, 57g F

The entirety puts me around
3041 Cals, 247g P, 299g C, 138g F

Which is a 36/44/20 split.
Not account Fish Oil pills which is add some to fat. Looking at taking 6 a day, split in evening and night.

The most difficult part is on Sat/Sun down the 1k Calorie shake and feeling like I am doing something good.

Cooter

It's ok to eat 4,000 a day. It really comes down to the individual. I would eat between 3,500 and 4,500 when I was bulking! If gaining muscle is your main goal eat and lift heavy. Combined with rest and decent sleep you will grow. Just be patient.

My meal plan leads to about a 3000 calorie diet.

Depends. See where you are with the diet at the end of each week. If it looks like you're putting on too much weight, move your calories around. Ultimately it'll be a trial and error process.

This is what 34 looks like biatches!!! Happy birthday to me!

3031834a-445e-44dd-ba01-ef9c410a521e.jpg

Age aint nuttin but a number!!

tumblr_mr959kBIIf1r60ay5o1_500.gif

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I know people often ask, "What should I be eating?" and you get your typical cottage cheese, chicken, veggies responses, but honestly, it's not hard to meet your goals while still being creative with your diet. So I thought I'd share today's meal plan, which began at 9am and just ended at 11pm. I eat consistently throughout the day because I have a near insatiable appetite.

Breakfast:

Thin whole wheat bagel + 1 tbsp fat free cream cheese
1 cup Kashi GoLean cereal + 3/4 cup fat free milk w/ flaxseed meal
2 large hardboiled eggs

Snack 1:

1 scoop whey protein + 1 cup fat free milk w/ PB2
2 slices whole wheat toast + 1 tbsp natty peanut butter

Snack 2:

Banana

1.5 hour workout

Lunch:

Subway's double chicken chopped salad w/ avocado
1 cup black beans
1 cup Kellogg's Special K cereal + 3/4 cup fat free milk w/ flaxseed meal

Snack 3:

1 bag Popchips "Sweet Potato"

Snack 4:

Dunkin' Donuts "Wake-Up Wrap w/ Ham"
2 Oreo cookies

Snack 5:

1.25 cups Old Fashioned oats + 1 tbsp natty peanut butter

Hopefully I've put into perspective that you can eat your cereals and fast foods and cookies and still hit your targets. With all that I managed to hit 2750 calories almost on the dot, with macros being ~70g fat, ~360 carbs, and ~185 protein.

EDIT: Yeah, I technically skipped "dinner," but that's what happens with hectic schedules like mine. :p

y2dvd

So right after my workout, I drank a shake. It wasn't enough, so I drank some water on top of the shake. Does that dilute the shake in any ways?

Teggy

Hopefully I've put into perspective that you can eat your cereals and fast foods and cookies and still hit your targets. With all that I managed to hit 2750 calories almost on the dot, with macros being ~70g fat, ~360 carbs, and ~185 protein.

lol, yeah it's a lot easier when you are allowed twice the carbs than protein. I have to hit fewer carbs than protein. Can't have much bagels and bread with those kinds of macros.

So right after my workout, I drank a shake. It wasn't enough, so I drank some water on top of the shake. Does that dilute the shake in any ways?

It actually leads to negative gains (much like buying Runaan's Hurricane on a melee champion).

No.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
lol, yeah it's a lot easier when you are allowed twice the carbs than protein. I have to hit fewer carbs than protein. Can't have much bagels and bread with those kinds of macros.

Yeah, I know that feel. Low-carb diets really suck. Like, really. All the best foods are high-carb. I should have specified that a diet like mine works for active people who want to put on weight. Sorry :p

Teggy

Yeah, I know that feel. Low-carb diets really suck. Like, really. All the best foods are high-carb. I should have specified that a diet like mine works for active people who want to put on weight. Sorry :p

No worries. After I put in my time, I'll get to bulk. No pain no gain!

Cooter

lol 23

christ, that is impressive..

Thanks FE. I have Immortal to thank. I was jacked up all day to attack it after he got his 23! It can't be underestated how much a positive state of mind and enthusiasm can help your lifts.

Good lifts today...

Squat 305x3x5 Easy!
Press 130x3x5 Easy!
Chinups 3x5 Easy!

Macros also spot on: cals2,353/carbs34/fat174/protein/160
Weight still not coming down: 194lb
I am becoming some kind of keto-beast, yet the fat won't go away just yet :O

despire

15lbs down in 5 weeks (1w IF + 4w PSMF). Bodyfat estimations give me around 17% (inaccurate I know). Still got them lovehandles and fat on my stomach but the fat above my upper abs is melting off. Can't really see the muscles yet but the outline of the muscles is more clearly visible every day and the "crack" in the middle is getting deeper. Also more definition on my chest and everywhere of course.

And the most important thing, no muscle loss! My lifts are the same, if not a tiny bit higher, than where I was when I started.

Imm0rt4l

Leroy Colbert, is the first bodybuilder on record to ever attain 21 inch biceps naturally(allegedly). He has a video on youtube calling out CT Fletcher on his bullshit about 'overtraining being bullshit'. He also says that CT is clearly using steroids and can't really relate to the crowd he's trying to preach to since overtraining may be bullshit for someone on aas. I tend to agree with him, although I think he's more salty that CT claims natural(lol) with 22 inch biceps which exceed his own, so while I agree with his sentiments, I don't believe he's entirely genuine(butthurt). I like CT and his very bro prisoncomplex/bro approach, though I don't really look to him to drop any kind of real knowledge.

Noema

Leroy Colbert, is the first bodybuilder on record to ever attain 21 inch biceps naturally(allegedly). He has a video on youtube calling out CT Fletcher on his bullshit about 'overtraining being bullshit'. He also says that CT is clearly using steroids and can't really relate to the crowd he's trying to preach to since overtraining may be bullshit for someone on aas. I tend to agree with him, although I think he's more salty that CT claims natural(lol) with 22 inch biceps which exceed his own, so while I agree with his sentiments, I don't believe he's entirely genuine(butthurt). I like CT and his very bro prisoncomplex/bro approach, though I don't really look to him to drop any kind of real knowledge.

Looking at pictures of Leroy I have a hard time believing he wasn't on something. Even by today's standards he had an amazing physique. If he looked like that today and claimed to be natural a lot of people would probably dispute that, no doubt. His arms, delts, chest and traps were simply insane.

I have no doubt in my mind CT is juiced to the gills though. I like CT, but I don't buy his being natural for one second.

Imm0rt4l

Looking at pictures of Leroy I have a hard time believing he wasn't on something. Even by today's standards he had an amazing physique. If he looked like that today and claimed to be natural a lot of people would probably dispute that, no doubt. His arms, delts, chest and traps were simply insane.

I have no doubt in my mind CT is juiced to the gills though. I like CT, but I don't buy his being natural for one second.

Yea, he claims that when he was on stage (late 50's to early 60's) that he didn't take steroids because they weren't around yet, which isn't true. I think he's full of almost as much shit as CT is on that front.

abuC

Been seeing some monsters at my gym recently, one guy repped 495x3 on the bench today, and last week someone hit 535 for 10 on deadlift. The dosages must have increased.

sphinx

the piano man
the thing has gotten so big and prevalent in the strenght/BB world, that I just assume that anyone who looks amazing is on something.

sad because I don't have a clear idea of what is attainable as a natty and what is not. with every huge bodybuilder making false statements about their status as a natural, is hard to appreciate the differences between someone on juice and someone who isn't

whenever I see a body I'd like to have after several years of training, everybody says it's on some stuff :/

despire

the thing has gotten so big and prevalent in the strenght/BB world, that I just assume that anyone who looks amazing is on something.

sad because I don't have a clear idea of what is attainable as a natty and what is not. with every huge bodybuilder making false statements about their status as a natural, is hard to appreciate the differences between someone on juice and someone who isn't

whenever I see a body I'd like to have after several years of training, everybody says it's on some stuff :/

Yeah, it's hard to say nowadays which is possible and what isn't. Except looking at the guys in this thread since I don't think anyone's on anything?

You just gotta keep on pushing and getting bigger and see where you will end up. Luckily there's always room for improvement in some way. Even if one day you find out that can't get any bigger or stronger you can always try to improve other stuff ie. get leaner, calisthenic movements (human flag etc..), conditioning, martial arts for example. There's always room for improvement in one way or the other..

Personally when I'm finally swole and lean, I'm going to start some martial art again. Possibly BJJ or something similar. I also want to learn stuff like human flag and handstand pushups one day. Never giving up on the gym and barbells though but I'm going to broaden my spectrum.

Btw, anyone ever do One Arm Dumbbell Press instead of the Dumbbell Shoulder Press? Just wondering since there seems to be more muscles involved in the one arm version..

Color me surprised! Got 23 reps of 225 tonight on bench. Was 186 this morning for an added bonus. :)

This is one of those times I think, "Fuck, does this guy even lift?" SHOULDA DONE 24!

Unrelated: Started 5/3/1 on a 3-days/week rotation last night. Routine looked like this, not including warm-up sets:

Squats: 2x5, 1x9
Lunges: 3x8
Dumbbell side bends: 3x8
Stationary bike: 10 min HIIT

Took 50 minutes in total, which included spotting for my fiancee a few times. The first week of 5/3/1 seems so easy since the percentages are so low; I did my squats with very little rest and was able to do 9 reps for the last set (you're supposed to do as many reps as you can for the final set, right?). But, I think by the final week of this mesocycle I'll be thankful I started low.

167 lifting sessions left until my wedding.

In addition to 3 days/week of lifting, I bike 30 minutes 5 times a week and put in about 3-4 hours of yard work every weekend. I think I have a decently active lifestyle at this point, which I'm happy with. My fiancee has been lifting with me for a couple of months now. She actually really likes squats, deadlifts, and bench press, so she always starts with one of those then moves into a few smaller supplementary lifts and finishes with 20 minutes of cardio. Bros, forget what you've thought about not wanting to go to the gym with a lady friend, that shit is awesome. I can stare all I damn well want!

Is feeling sick immediately after leg day a good or bad sign? I've never actually been sick, just feels like it.

I've never injured myself so i'm not doing too much weight. But I always feel light head and then leave the gym walking like John Wayne.

Am I not breathing right?

Mark1

Height: 6'0" Weight: 70kg Purpose of workout: Muscle building

Right, first day back at the gym yesterday. Did most(I did some pull-ups but don't think I did 3 sets because of lack of time) of the Monday workout in the beginner's routine shown in the OP. Legs are aching after squatting.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast
2 egg whites - 7g protein
1/2 bagel
5 oat cakes - 6.5g protein

Lunch
2 chicken breasts - 70g protein
1/4 baguette

After workout
Chocolate milkshake with 2 tablespoons of dry skimmed milk powder and 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate powder (how much protein would i get from this?)
1 egg and ham sandwich - 16g protein

Dinner
1/2 can of tuna - 16.9g protein
Steak burger - (couldn't find protein amount for this)
Baked potato

How is this diet so far? I'm trying to go with eating lean meat/fish as much as possible instead of taking protein shakes, supplements, etc.

I've got Greek yogurt which I plan to take at least a cupful of each day.

Here's another question: how long should I go on a bulk for before cutting.
I only want to put on some noticeable muscle, then go on a cut to make the abs visible. I don't want to be big or anything, even if I was like David Beckham I'd be happy.

Thanks for the help guys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Mark, I don't see your carb content on your foods - what kind of diet are you looking to do and how many carbs are you putting down as well?

Mark1

Hey Mark, I don't see your carb content on your foods - what kind of diet are you looking to do and how many carbs are you putting down as well?
I haven't really counted carbs, I'm looking to do a high protein diet. I want to eat enough carbs to have some energy when doing the exercises. This is the first time I've done dietary stuff so I want to learn these things step-by-step. Keep getting told everywhere to have enough protein in your body purely to have enough amino acids to repair the muscles and make them stronger.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really counted carbs, I'm looking to do a high protein diet. I want to eat enough carbs to have some energy when doing the exercises. This is the first time I've done dietary stuff so I want to learn these things step-by-step. Keep getting told everywhere to have enough protein in your body purely to have enough amino acids to repair the muscles and make them stronger.

I personally feel it's very important to make sure your ratio is accurate on what you're shooting for with diet, moreso than general intake. Some people here know a LOT more about food and can help align your goals, but I highly recommend not sweeping your carbs under the rug. We'll see what some others have to say, but also, regarding having energy - I do a nearly no-carb diet and I still had energy when starting out for months. It wasn't until I got under significantly heavy weights that I felt I needed some carbs to continue progressing. I guess my advice is to keep an open mind!

Height: 6'0" Weight: 70kg Purpose of workout: Muscle building

Right, first day back at the gym yesterday. Did most(I did some pull-ups but don't think I did 3 sets because of lack of time) of the Monday workout in the beginner's routine shown in the OP. Legs are aching after squatting.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast
2 egg whites - 7g protein
1/2 bagel
5 oat cakes - 6.5g protein

Lunch
2 chicken breasts - 70g protein
1/4 baguette

After workout
Chocolate milkshake with 2 tablespoons of dry skimmed milk powder and 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate powder (how much protein would i get from this?)
1 egg and ham sandwich - 16g protein

Dinner
1/2 can of tuna - 16.9g protein
Steak burger - (couldn't find protein amount for this)
Baked potato

How is this diet so far? I'm trying to go with eating lean meat/fish as much as possible instead of taking protein shakes, supplements, etc.

I've got Greek yogurt which I plan to take at least a cupful of each day.

Here's another question: how long should I go on a bulk for before cutting.
I only want to put on some noticeable muscle, then go on a cut to make the abs visible. I don't want to be big or anything, even if I was like David Beckham I'd be happy.

Thanks for the help guys.

As basic as I can get it for building muscle.

1.5g : 1lb - ratio of protein per lb of body weight
3g:1lb - ratio of carbs per lb of body weight

Its what I was recommended at my gym for a bulk. Obviously you have to ease up to that much food.

Dont neglect your Carbs if you want to build muscle. And like Sunflower said, keep an open mind. People will post what worked for them but that might not work for you or fit around your lifestyle.

I have a pretty broad background with nutrition and like learning more about it, but am somewhat limited in my knowledge for sports nutrition. With that said, I see various recommendations for muscle building in terms of grams of protein per lb/kg of body weight. I've seen as low as 1 gram of protein per kilogram of target body weight to as high as 2 gram of protein per pound of target body weight.

So, I have to ask, has anyone here ever read a peer-reviewed study discussing an ideal protein intake to build muscle mass? I haven't looked into it too much, but the impression I get is that 1-2 g protein per pound of target body weight is actually overkill, but it simplifies the process and essentially is designed to 100% guarantee you're supplying enough protein to your body. The alternative being, you could take less than 1-2 g protein per pound of target body weight and perhaps be fine, but the 1-2 g per pound method is just a very simple and easy catch-all to more-or-less guarantee results for essentially anyone.

Is feeling sick immediately after leg day a good or bad sign? I've never actually been sick, just feels like it.

I've never injured myself so i'm not doing too much weight. But I always feel light head and then leave the gym walking like John Wayne.

Am I not breathing right?

Gains flu.
It's a good sign!

As for breathing, you definitely shouldn't be feeling light headed, but that probably has more to do with energy/hydration levels.

Imm0rt4l

*brofist
Have you guys ever used protein powder as a creamer for coffee? It's so good.
Gonna have to try this.
Been seeing some monsters at my gym recently, one guy repped 495x3 on the bench today, and last week someone hit 535 for 10 on deadlift. The dosages must have increased.
Jesus. Which brings me to I have no idea what is naturally attainable for lifts. I think a guy like mike tuscherer is probably in the upper percentile for deadlifts. But then I'm not quite sure what's attainable for bench. If I ever got 4 plates for a single rep, I think I'd be pretty much done. I mean a guy at 5 '10" let's say 200ish lbs can only take so much resistance naturally right? If I ever hit that I feel like its pretty much a wrap. In the interim I need to get my sorry as ohp up, I got den weighted dips doe.

Fitness gaf i have a question I had high thyroid levels at one point now there where there suppose to be. Even though I am still taking thyroid can I still burn the weight I want to drop it and get back to shape is there anyone in fitness thread who has gone through it.

Gains flu.
It's a good sign!

As for breathing, you definitely shouldn't be feeling light headed, but that probably has more to do with energy/hydration levels.

lol gains flu.

Thanks for the info. Im well hydrated although im training fasted which is most likely cause. Only happens on leg day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom