• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

First impression of that expensive hand massager is positive. My joints feel awesome today. Gonna hit it again for 20 minutes or so today.

Szu

Pretty solid cheat birthday weekend. Some good and some bad but definitely an increase in calories. Back to a disciplined week of eating.

Going to see how many reps of 225 I can crank out tonight thanks to immortal inspiring me with his 23 last week. I'll be thrilled if I get 20!

You've been fueled by your mom's legendary cheesecake. You're going to power through that weight.

strafer

dat Mel

iRuFbZt.png

SKXWEug.png

Do any of you guys use wrist wraps or have experience with them?

I like to superset muscle-ups when i'm front squatting or OHP, and I have to rest longer than usual to let my wrist discomfort/pain subside. Are they worth it?

entremet

Do you guys work your biceps and triceps together or do biceps after back and triceps after chest? Seems like im reading you get better stimulation and your elbow flexors aren't exhausted from doing biceps after back.

I wonder why maybe that's why im not seeing any bicep growth.

Thanks

I do them everyday lol.

/CTFletcher

Mr.City

Today was my first day doing the Texas Method on the bench. I highly advise that you guys read the Texas Method Part 1 by Justin Lascek. It's a great book about transitioning to TM and working out the kinks that come up.

Chest/bi days and shoulder/tri days FTW!

Well I already do standing push presses after legs on Fridays. =\

Unless I do back and shoulders on Mondays and legs and biceps on Fridays.

I only can workout 3 days week, so generally my routine looks like M-back and bis, W-chest and tris, and F-legs and shoulders.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well I already do standing push presses after legs on Fridays. =

Unless I do back and shoulders on Mondays and legs and biceps on Fridays.

I only can workout 3 days week, so generally my routine looks like M-back and bis, W-chest and tris, and F-legs and shoulders.

What about:

M-chest/bis
W-legs/shoulders
F-back/tris

??? Or switch W and F around if you want to keep legs on Friday.

Could work out.

Why don't you do the typical BB routine with back/bis chest/tris?

Have you seen better results with the routine you do?

EDIT-Doesn't hurt to try the routine. Worst thing is that I just end up going back to the old routine. Plus, I like how my chest and tris are on different days that still allow my to recover.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Could work out.

Why don't you do the typical BB routine with back/bis chest/tris?

Have you seen better results with the routine you do?
I used to for years. I switched when I started supersetting two muscles a workout and always felt I wasn't getting the most out of my tris because they were fatigued from chest. The same with back and bis. Now I'm on this:

M-chest/bis
T-Legs/body weight muscle&pull ups
W-rest. Although I've been DLing
TH-shoulders/tris
F-legs
Sat-back/traps
Sun-rest. But again, been DLing

This allows my bis and tris to be totally fresh and then get worked indirectly again on back and chest day. Yes, it's been working and I don't ever see myself going back to the chest/tri and back/bi splits.

Noema

Man I gotta stop doing those plate loaded lat pull down. My left delt feels like shit and I think it's because of them.

Just do pull ups / chins man. Much more bang for your buck.

I personally decided to cut all biceps isolation exercises, at least for this cycle. My right biceps has been bothering me recently and I think it's mostly because how much I blast my arms with preacher curls. I mean, I love preacher curls but I love my intact arms more.

I'm terrified of tearing a biceps while Deadlifting so I better take care of this.

SeanR1221

Just to pull ups / chins man. Much more bang for your buck.

I personally decided to cut all biceps isolation exercises, at least for this cycle. My right biceps has been bothering me recently and I think it's mostly because how much I blast my arms with preacher curls. I mean, I love preacher curls but I love my intact arms more.

I'm terrified of tearing a biceps while Deadlifting so I better take care of this.

I do chin ups on OHP day and pull ups on my alternate leg aka arm day.

I was doing the lat pull downs on my "alternate back day" until I could do deadlifts again but I might just cut them out. Don't need to get hurt from stupid lat pull downs.

Might try doing some very light deads this week and see how they feel. Then just do cable rows and wide grip rows.

I think I'll go light on all accessory stuff the next couple weeks to avoid injury.

So, I'm switching away from Starting Strength to 5/3/1 3-days/week. I saw the link in the OP regarding 5/3/1, but also found this link which seems to be very helpful for breaking the 5/3/1 routine down if I'm only lifting 3 days a week.

Can anyone do me a big favor and quickly glance at the "3 Days Per Week" routine to make sure it is legit? It looks similar to what I've seen in other places for the 5/3/1. Looking forward to starting this out tonight, but just wanted a final "all clear" from FitGAF before I have at it.

Also, is 10 minutes of HIIT (or, hell, even 10 minutes of low intensity) on a stationary bike acceptable to do 2-3 days a week following a lifting session, or is it considered a bad idea for 5/3/1? Ctrl + F on any of the 5/3/1 pages returns no hits, which suggests to me that cardio is generally not recommended.

Noema

I do chin ups on OHP day and pull ups on my alternate leg aka arm day.

I was doing the lat pull downs on my "alternate back day" until I could do deadlifts again but I might just cut them out. Don't need to get hurt from stupid lat pull downs.

Might try doing some very light deads this week and see how they feel. Then just do cable rows and wide grip rows.

I think I'll go light on all accessory stuff the next couple weeks to avoid injury.

What about some light RDLs? Just to get blood flowing and practice form.

SeanR1221

What about some light RDLs? Just to get blood flowing and practice form.

I was actually just thinking that.

When I got injured it was all woo hoo arms!! Until you realize your deadlift and squat days are there for a reason, you know?

So maybe on deadlift day...

Light deads
Light RDLs
Cable rows
Shrugs

Leg day...
Air squats or light weight
Leg press
Leg curl
Pull ups

I gotta say, the other day pain spread down my leg, I did air RDLs and it went away :)

I think it's time to get back to lower body...finally.

Actually I'll do two weeks of that, finish out my 3s and 1s week on OHP and bench and starting September try out that 4 weeks to bigger arms from tnation for the heck of it.

Noema

So, I'm switching away from Starting Strength to 5/3/1 3-days/week. I saw the link in the OP regarding 5/3/1, but also found this link which seems to be very helpful for breaking the 5/3/1 routine down if I'm only lifting 3 days a week.

Can anyone do me a big favor and quickly glance at the "3 Days Per Week" routine to make sure it is legit? It looks similar to what I've seen in other places for the 5/3/1. Looking forward to starting this out tonight, but just wanted a final "all clear" from FitGAF before I have at it.

Also, is 10 minutes of HIIT (or, hell, even 10 minutes of low intensity) on a stationary bike acceptable to do 2-3 days a week following a lifting session, or is it considered a bad idea for 5/3/1? Ctrl + F on any of the 5/3/1 pages returns no hits, which suggests to me that cardio is generally not recommended.

It looks okay, albeit a little convoluted. Wendler offers several options for training 3 times a week or even 2 times a week in the book and IIRC they are a bit simpler but what you linked should work provided you stick to the programming.

As for HIIT, Wendler says it's okay to do it on off days. Stuff like Sprints, but I guess HIIT on a stationary bike could work. Give it a shot and if you feel it's hindering your lifts ditch it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just do pull ups / chins man. Much more bang for your buck.

This is the 4th time I've heard some mention preacher curls and risk. What is the safest way to perform the exercise?

My left has been dodgy for a while, but I've seen decent growth since starting preacher curls ....

Checked the book. That is the way the 5 3 1 book itself suggests you do a 3 day routine.

edit: wait not quite. Instead of the final "d" workout spillling into week 6 he has you do dead and press on the same day in week 5

second edit: and he's wrote tons more based on the program after the original book so it's possible there are other variants he made later.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I guess preacher curls without an ez-bar (which allows you to tilt your wrists slightly) might put undue stress on [parts].

Fuck, I love preacher curls. It's the move where I can push hardest of all moves. But it makes my muscle insertions sore. Made worse by a drunken arm wrestling tournament, after one and a half weeks my biceps insertions are still not fully painless.

Noema

The problem with Preacher curls is the problem with any other exercise that isolates a joint. The biceps crosses two joints, with the distal joint crossing the ulna and the proximal attachments crossing the anterior side of the scapula.

So the function of the biceps is to flex the elbow, but it also has the function of helping to extend the shoulder, because it also crosses that joint.

What the preacher curl does is precisely to fix your elbow so that there's elbow flexion with no shoulder extension. Which is sort of of an unnatural way of training the biceps which puts unduly stress on the distal end of the muscle. It's the same with most machines, really. Leg Extensions are sort of weird and place a ton of stress on the kness, because they isolate the quad from the hamstring, something that really can't be done without a machine, since quads and hamstrings evolved to work together. When you do a deep squat, your hamstrings balance the shear force of your quads as you got down, so there's really no danger of hurting your knees if you squat correctly. But in a machine there's no way for the hamstring to pull against the shearing of the quadriceps.

I like preacher curls for the pump and hypertrophy, but I do not hesitate one second to lay off them for a while if my biceps are hurting. They are really low on the hierarchy of stuff I consider important.

Which is to say, if you want a pump, by all means do preacher curls and hammer curls and what not. Just do them light, do them at the end and for the love of god do not kiss your biceps peaks while you stare lasciviously at yourself in the mirrors.

Teggy

So first couple of days of trying to hit macros I'm finding the biggest challenge is keeping protein up with carbs. Here's what I've had so far today:

Breakfast:
Eggs w/ turkey bacon
Cup of chocolate milk

Lunch
Roast beef sandwich on whole wheat

Snacks
Quest bar
Dry roasted peanuts
Red bell pepper w/ hummus

Stats for day:

Cals: 1242/2059
Fat: 58/74
Carbs: 115/161
Protein: 80/186

So at first glance that chocolate milk is a killer. 180 calories and 30 carbs. I'm used to having it at breakfast and after workouts on workout days, but I guess I will at least need to cut it out of breakfast.

What do folks do to balance protein with carbs? Just eat chicken breasts?

It looks okay, albeit a little convoluted. Wendler offers several options for training 3 times a week or even 2 times a week in the book and IIRC they are a bit simpler but what you linked should work provided you stick to the programming.

As for HIIT, Wendler says it's okay to do it on off days. Stuff like Sprints, but I guess HIIT on a stationary bike could work. Give it a shot and if you feel it's hindering your lifts ditch it.

Checked the book. That is the way the 5 3 1 book itself suggests you do a 3 day routine.

edit: wait not quite. Instead of the final "d" workout spillling into week 6 he has you do dead and press on the same day in week 5

second edit: and he's wrote tons more based on the program after the original book so it's possible there are other variants he made later.

Thanks guys. I am going to read through the book soon, but won't have time until next week and wanted to get Week 1 started today. So, your help is appreciated. I like the idea of pushing that final "D" in to week 5 instead of week 6, helps keep it all flowing a bit easier.

Also, shit, squat/bench/overhead press only once a week is going to be so weird. But, a routine is only a routine if I stick to it. My wedding is in 13 months, so I'm hitching my wagon to 5/3/1, 3-days a week, and going to kick some ass. 56 weeks until my wedding, so, I have 168 workouts to go.

Fuck my squat fell from 97,5 kg down to 85 kg after a 2~3 week break from the gym. Bullshit :-(

But meh, it's not like it's gonna make me quit. I'll catch up to my previous PR within 2 months or less.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The problem with Preacher curls is the problem with any other exercise that isolates a joint. The biceps crosses two joints, with the distal joint crossing the ulna and the proximal attachments crossing the anterior side of the scapula.

So the function of the biceps is to flex the elbow, but it also has the function of helping to extend the shoulder, because it also crosses that joint.

What the preacher curl does is precisely to fix your elbow so that there's elbow flexion with no shoulder extension. Which is sort of of an unnatural way of training the biceps which puts unduly stress on the distal end of the muscle. It's the same with most machines, really. Leg Extensions are sort of weird and place a ton of stress on the kness, because they isolate the quad from the hamstring, something that really can't be done without a machine, since quads and hamstrings evolved to work together. When you do a deep squat, your hamstrings balance the shear force of your quads as you got down, so there's really no danger of hurting your knees if you squat correctly. But in a machine there's no way for the hamstring to pull against the shearing of the quadriceps.

I like preacher curls for the pump and hypertrophy, but I do not hesitate one second to lay off them for a while if my biceps are hurting. They are really low on the hierarchy of stuff I consider important.

Which is to say, if you want a pump, by all means do preacher curls and hammer curls and what not. Just do them light, do them at the end and for the love of god do not kiss your biceps peaks while you stare lasciviously at yourself in the mirrors.

That's an awesome explanation, thanks. Although I had to re-read it a few times to fully grasp it. Yeah definitely most of the soreness is on the elbow end of the bicep, so maybe I will take a break. I have done preacher curls with 88lbs x 8 and bench 176lbs work sets so maybe I have gone in a bit heavy. Best vanity move still!

Go_Ly_Dow

I haven't had any problem so far with preacher curls but to play it safe I will be more careful not to bring the E-Z bar too far down.

Thanks for all your info.

So first couple of days of trying to hit macros I'm finding the biggest challenge is keeping protein up with carbs. Here's what I've had so far today:

Breakfast:
Eggs w/ turkey bacon
Cup of chocolate milk

Lunch

Snacks
Quest bar
Dry roasted peanuts

Stats for day:

So at first glance that chocolate milk is a killer. 180 calories and 30 carbs. I'm used to having it at breakfast and after workouts on workout days, but I guess I will at least need to cut it out of breakfast.

Try skim chocolate? The one I get is 90cals/8g protein per cup

giga

Did my first set of deadlifts today. I'm sure my form was terrible but wow, that felt good. I like this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Breakfast:
Eggs w/ turkey bacon
Cup of chocolate milk

Lunch

Snacks
Quest bar
Dry roasted peanuts

Stats for day:

Find a good protein powder with as few carbs as you can, spike it with Almond Milk or heavy whipping cream. Dope shit, low to no carb.

thomaser

Is Starting Strength or other books often mentioned here sold in bookstores in USA? I'm going to NY soon and want to buy a couple of them (won't buy from Amazon because of expensive shipping to where I live, and bookdepository doesn't have it). Can I go into Strand, Kinokuniya or Borders and buy these books, or maybe stores like Gym Source?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I think my noob gains are over and I'm ready for 5/3/1 or another intermediate program. Just failed on my 3rd attempt to get a full 3x5 on squats. Tried moving up from 205 lbs to 210 lbs and even with ample rest I could only get 1 full set. Not to mention I'm like taking forever just to get the squats in since they're starting to kill me every time. So as far as my lifts go I'm at 205 lb squats, 205 lb deadlift, 135 lb bench, 75 lb OHP(have gone up to 85 but haven't completed a set), 65 lb power cleans(still iffy on form on this), 115 lb bent over rows. Is this about normal or should I continue SS? Also I just turned 23 yesterday, am about 5'5 and weight 138 lbs.

SeanR1221

So I think my noob gains are over and I'm ready for 5/3/1 or another intermediate program. Just failed on my 3rd attempt to get a full 3x5 on squats. Tried moving up from 205 lbs to 210 lbs and even with ample rest I could only get 1 full set. Not to mention I'm like taking forever just to get the squats in since they're starting to kill me every time. So as far as my lifts go I'm at 205 lb squats, 205 lb deadlift, 135 lb bench, 75 lb OHP(have gone up to 85 but haven't completed a set), 65 lb power cleans(still iffy on form on this), 115 lb bent over rows. Is this about normal or should I continue SS? Also I just turned 23 yesterday, am about 5'5 and weight 138 lbs.

What's your diet like? Are you eating enough?

Nelo Ice

Banned
What's your diet like? Are you eating enough?

Yeah I think so. Need to track more often since sometimes if I don't cook or get something that I don't know how to add to mfp I don't track. Only reason I don't track all the time since I get confused on stuff if I don't scan it in or can't find it. Also need to pick up a food scale. But when I did track for like 2 weeks I was eating around 2100 calories on rest days and 2500 on lift days. Gonna make use of the calculator in the OP but besides that I have been eating trying to eat enough. Also forgot to mention I'm 3 months into SS. Started the program on June 12th and haven't missed a day since.

How long have you been running the SS?

Ultimately it's up to you to decide when to switch off, but even given your height and weight, I think you should be able to squeeze a little more out of it before switching to an intermediary program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom