• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarques

dat Mel

iRuFbZt.png

I he preparing for a Popeye movie? Gotta admit he nailed the face.

Imm0rt4l

Yesterday was my leg day and the gym ac wasn't working. I was drenched, shit was disgusting. I thought the combination of the heat and being fasted was the reason the weight felt so heavy. Then I realized I wasn't wearing a belt.
Fitness gaf i have a question I had high thyroid levels at one point now there where there suppose to be. Even though I am still taking thyroid can I still burn the weight I want to drop it and get back to shape is there anyone in fitness thread who has gone through it.
You should if the thyroid drug has you close to normal levels I think. But you should probably ask your doctor or maybe someone who knows about hyperthyroidism can chime in.

Why wouldn't you eat?

Intermittent Fasting. Im not bulking, im on a cut.

I am as well, but I haven't had that happen to me. Are legs your weak spot, and by that I mean what you are hitting the hardest?

Na, my legs are my strongest point i'd say, but I do tend to push myself with legs. I do get dizzy after sitting down and standing up occasionally too even when not exercising.

Height: 6'0" Weight: 70kg Purpose of workout: Muscle building

Right, first day back at the gym yesterday. Did most(I did some pull-ups but don't think I did 3 sets because of lack of time) of the Monday workout in the beginner's routine shown in the OP. Legs are aching after squatting.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast
2 egg whites - 7g protein
1/2 bagel
5 oat cakes - 6.5g protein

Lunch
2 chicken breasts - 70g protein
1/4 baguette

After workout
Chocolate milkshake with 2 tablespoons of dry skimmed milk powder and 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate powder (how much protein would i get from this?)
1 egg and ham sandwich - 16g protein

Dinner
1/2 can of tuna - 16.9g protein
Steak burger - (couldn't find protein amount for this)
Baked potato

How is this diet so far? I'm trying to go with eating lean meat/fish as much as possible instead of taking protein shakes, supplements, etc.

I've got Greek yogurt which I plan to take at least a cupful of each day.

Here's another question: how long should I go on a bulk for before cutting.
I only want to put on some noticeable muscle, then go on a cut to make the abs visible. I don't want to be big or anything, even if I was like David Beckham I'd be happy.

Thanks for the help guys.

personally i'd jack up that breakfast, it's pretty small. eggs are the one of the easiest protein sources imaginable, very easy to down a half dozen or so regular ones in the morning. i would add in more green vegetables as well, as many as you can whenever you can. for instance when i eat my morning eggs i throw in around a half pound of broccolli as its an easy time to cook them as it doesn't take any more effort than making the eggs, and it adds a little nicer texture that makes eating a bunch of eggs less boring

Yesterday was my leg day and the gym ac wasn't working. I was drenched, shit was disgusting. I thought the combination of the heat and being fasted was the reason the weight felt so heavy. Then I realized I wasn't wearing a belt.
You should if the thyroid drug has you close to normal levels I think. But you should probably ask your doctor or maybe someone who knows about hyperthyroidism can chime in.
My doctor said it shouldn't be a factor . So I tried about two months ago worked out for a month and got decent results. I should have stuck with it. I guess I got intimidated by thyroid post. I use to be a workout fanatic not so much lately now I think I am never looking back again.

TheJerit

Intermittent Fasting. Im not bulking, im on a cut.

Na, my legs are my strongest point i'd say, but I do tend to push myself with legs. I do get dizzy after sitting down and standing up occasionally too even when not exercising.

Ah I see. Yeah, could be how hard you're pushing it. If you can get dizzy standing up too quickly, do you have any blood pressure problems? Anxiety? I know when I was heavier than I am now, I had a brief bout with that. I think a lot of it was brought on by my anxiety and probably higher blood pressure at the time. This was awhile back, but I remember and it sucked...

I feel sooo much better since I got back in the gym a month or so ago. Hell, I might even have a drink until the holidays. Feeling good, working on looking good ;p

TheJerit

No suggestions?

Sorry, don't have much advice on this one. I've been thinking about getting a bag too and hanging it in the garage. However, I was going to just get padded gloves, basically mma-type gloves. Would be a nice change of pace for cardio.

Maybe someone else will speak up, but I don't really recall anyone here mentioning that they box. I could be wrong, but that may be why no one has any real good answers.

Mark1

As basic as I can get it for building muscle.

1.5g : 1lb - ratio of protein per lb of body weight
3g:1lb - ratio of carbs per lb of body weight

Its what I was recommended at my gym for a bulk. Obviously you have to ease up to that much food.

Dont neglect your Carbs if you want to build muscle. And like Sunflower said, keep an open mind. People will post what worked for them but that might not work for you or fit around your lifestyle.
I eat plenty of carbs thanks to the fruit, vegetables and other foods such as pasta. Some days we have a large portion of pasta (not flour) with our dinners. As I said before I'm taking things slowly with finding the best diet, focusing more trying to get about 150g of protein without the use of protein shakes.

For someone who wants to look lean with a bit muscle, how long would they go on a bulk for? Weight: 70kg, Height: 6'0"

For someone who wants to look lean with a bit muscle, how long would they go on a bulk for? Weight: 70kg, Height: 6'0"

that is an unanswerable question really. do you have no muscle base at all to start off with? at your height you're probably kinda skinny. at this point you can't really think of it as a bulk (ASSUMING you have no muscle base?), you're just building a foundation. If your plan is to just workout for 3 months and stop you probably aren't going to have much of a result from a 'bulk and cut'. you really need to build a foundation of strength, then you will be able to bulk efficiently, but at this point yeah don't worry about how long you need to bulk man. just eat plenty, go to the gym, watch those numbers go up, and you'll know when you've reached the point where you're satisfied and can lean back down. every body is really different and it totally depends on stuff strangers on the internet can't tell beforehand.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I eat plenty of carbs thanks to the fruit, vegetables and other foods such as pasta. Some days we have a large portion of pasta (not flour) with our dinners. As I said before I'm taking things slowly with finding the best diet, focusing more trying to get about 150g of protein without the use of protein shakes.

I don't even know what these terms like lean, ripped, and huge mean anymore. Some people call me lean while others say I'm huge or big. Just eat and lift until you are as big as you want to be. At that point get rid of the fat and see if that is a physique you'd like to maintain. If you would still like to be bigger then start eating again. Hope that helps. Your question really can't be answered by anyone but you.

70Kg at 6 foot? I think you can comfortably bulk for a while and still look lean.

I don't even know what these terms like lean, ripped, and huge mean anymore. Some people call me lean while others say I'm huge or big. Just eat and lift until you are as big as you want to be. At that point get rid of the fat and see if that is a physique you'd like to maintain. If you would still like to be bigger then start eating again. Hope that helps. Your question really can't be answered by anyone but you.

This sums it up. Just start going for it and see for yourself when you're happy with the results.

Ah I see. Yeah, could be how hard you're pushing it. If you can get dizzy standing up too quickly, do you have any blood pressure problems? Anxiety? I know when I was heavier than I am now, I had a brief bout with that. I think a lot of it was brought on by my anxiety and probably higher blood pressure at the time. This was awhile back, but I remember and it sucked...

I feel sooo much better since I got back in the gym a month or so ago. Hell, I might even have a drink until the holidays. Feeling good, working on looking good ;p

Hmmm. Might book in to get my blood pressure checked. I'm definitely not anxious.

You can skip the bulk altogether and try intermittent fasting for small gains whilst retaining a lean look.

Don't aim for a particular time period. Just do a phase until you're happy with your mass or vascularity.

Mark1

I was working out for a good 7-8 months before I took a month break there. I did build some muscle (most likely noob gains) beforehand, but there is very little of it. People have started saying I'm looking good though.

Are there any tips on how to reach 150 g of protein easily without the need of protein shakes. I've started eating a lot of meat, chicken and fish, chicken breasts and tuna chunks in particular. I've also started eating Greek yogurt.

Szu

I was working out for a good 7-8 months before I took a month break there. I did build some muscle (most likely noob gains) beforehand, but there is very little of it. People have started saying I'm looking good though.

Are there any tips on how to reach 150 g of protein easily without the need of protein shakes. I've started eating a lot of meat, chicken and fish, chicken breasts and tuna chunks in particular. I've also started eating Greek yogurt.

I would add eggs and some other dairy products into the mix. How do you feel about protein bars and/or protein bread?

You're just gonna have to eat a more of what you already are eating. Any reason you don't want to use protein shakes?

I also hear Quest bars are good.... not like they don't get mentioned here or anything lol.

Mark1

Protein shakes don't agree with my stomach, I've tried quite a few but gets me feeling bloated and sick. Prefer to avoid them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Protein shakes don't agree with my stomach, I've tried quite a few but gets me feeling bloated and sick. Prefer to avoid them.

What do you blend them with, assuming you've run the gamut of different powders? Water? Almond milk? Normal milku?

Mark1

What do you blend them with, assuming you've run the gamut of different powders? Water? Almond milk? Normal milku?
I honestly couldn't tell you, this was ages ago when I tried them. Some different flavours, either with water or normal milk. I'd really prefer to not use them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly couldn't tell you, this was ages ago when I tried them. Some different flavours, either with water or normal milk. I'd really prefer to not use them.

Lactose intolerant by chance, or anything like that? Just trying to pin it down, because my goodness protein shakes are beautiful on two stages - 1: delicious 2: nutritious

Mark1

Lactose intolerant by chance, or anything like that? Just trying to pin it down, because my goodness protein shakes are beautiful on two stages - 1: delicious 2: nutritious
I wouldn't say lactose intolerant, since I can take dry powdered milk. Are there good alternatives to protein shakes?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say lactose intolerant, since I can take dry powdered milk. Are there good alternatives to protein shakes?

Yeah, but it's all diet really. Some people slam a chocolate milk drink down, but that's a lot of sugar. The beauty of protein shakes is that they fit in dietary macros REALLY well if you're having issues getting enough protein.

If you can hit your marks with diet alone and no need of a shake, then may god be with you in your quest. But if you need another 30-60g of protein in a day...it's tough to say no to. I recommend people use unsweetened almond milk with em. Delish.

Mark1

Yeah, but it's all diet really. Some people slam a chocolate milk drink down, but that's a lot of sugar. The beauty of protein shakes is that they fit in dietary macros REALLY well if you're having issues getting enough protein.

If you can hit your marks with diet alone and no need of a shake, then may god be with you in your quest. But if you need another 30-60g of protein in a day...it's tough to say no to. I recommend people use unsweetened almond milk with em. Delish.
I generally have a hard time putting on weight, I wouldn't mind taking milk in my drinks.

I do know quite a few who have been successful without using protein shakes. They're looking good as well.

Mark1

I generally have a hard time putting on weight, I wouldn't mind taking milk in my drinks.

I do know quite a few who have been successful without using protein shakes. They're looking good as well.

BTW, I did some stretches after my workout yesterday, but my muscles are still sore, how will this affect my workout tomorrow? Especially since I'll be doing squats again.

Mark1

BTW, I did some stretches after my workout yesterday, but my muscles are still sore, how will this affect my workout tomorrow? Especially since I'll be doing squats again.

Mark1

Mark1

Soreness (DOMS: Delayed onset muscle soreness) should go away after the warmup. It should go away completely after a week or two of compound workouts. So yeah, go lift as normal

sphinx

the piano man
you people want to beat PRs?

SLEEP, long and deep.

yesterday I went to sleep at 9:30 PM and woke up 8:00 AM

today was bench day and went with my roomate and I taught him how to spot.

blazed through my 5x3 at 62.5 kgs/138 lbs with ease, this weight is the one I couldn't control back then when I had that small accident. I could have easily squeezed 2 more reps in each set, the bar slightly touched my chest on every rep... so in short:

frnXxyM.gif

good ish dood, always a great feeling :)

As for me, killed it in the gym this morning. week to week, I'm still at 235. Guess I need to eat more. 3500 calories, here we go.

Visceir

blazed through my 5x3 at 62.5 kgs/138 lbs with ease, this weight is the one I couldn't control back then when I had that small accident. I could have easily squeezed 2 more reps in each set, the bar slightly touched my chest on every rep... so in short:

Happened to me once, then I realized I wasn't using the 20 kg barbell but a lighter one, haha :(

Visceir

I'm about the same height but started at maybe 71 - 72 kg. I'm 3 months in now and have gotten up to 80.5 kg and the difference is quite noticeable. My training has been focused on strenght not size. I'm planning to get to atleast 85 - 88 kg before I start cutting, I assume it will take me atleast by the end of the year to reach that. So about 9 months all together.

I'd really suggest you to keep track of your daily caloric intake too. One of my beginner mistakes was that I got enough protein, but didnt meet my caloric needs for the day. You really should keep track of those things.

I'd also recommend using creatine if you're not doing it already.

Cooter

Hey-zeus!! Between this new belt I got and deadlifts my squats are taking off. New PR of 385x5 tonight and I'll have more next week for sure. F yeah!

APF

So, I have to ask, has anyone here ever read a peer-reviewed study discussing an ideal protein intake to build muscle mass? I haven't looked into it too much, but the impression I get is that 1-2 g protein per pound of target body weight is actually overkill, but it simplifies the process and essentially is designed to 100% guarantee you're supplying enough protein to your body. The alternative being, you could take less than 1-2 g protein per pound of target body weight and perhaps be fine, but the 1-2 g per pound method is just a very simple and easy catch-all to more-or-less guarantee results for essentially anyone.

Peter Lemon has couple of reviews on the subject, and tends to be cited a lot. This is from a few years ago but might be a good place to start:

SUMMARY

A variety of factors interact to increase dietary protein needs of individuals who exercise regularly. Although future study will need to determine precise recommendations, current research indicates that as long as energy intake is adequate a daily protein intake of 1.2–1.4 g/d for individuals participating in regular endurance exercise and 1.6–1.8 g/kg for their counterparts involved in strength exercise (Fig. 13) should be sufficient. To ensure these increased needs are met, care should be taken to consume a diet containing adequate energy and a selection of high quality protein foods, i.e., dairy products, eggs, meat, fish and soy products. Select populations may be at increased risk of not consuming sufficient protein due to increased requirements for a variety of other reasons, i.e., unbalanced diet (vegetarians), inadequate energy intake (dieters or athletes with high energy expenditure, especially women), higher baseline requirements (those who are growing or the elderly) and so on. More study is necessary before all of this can be untangled.

http://jacn.manchester-mcmexpo.net/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full

SeanR1221

I made a semi version of that quest oatmeal posted a few pages back.

Oatmeal mixed with syrup, cinnamon, half a scoop of whey and white chocolate raspberry diced up. So freakin good.

Second day of following the Petrie method (sedentary calories then eat more depending on what I burn) so yesterday I only ate 1800 calories but today I ate 2400 but burned around 700 between 40 minutes of lifting and 20 minutes of the elliptical.

I need to make my own protein bars, but I'd rather not use syrup.
My peanut butter bars were kinda awful, so I might have to incorporate a carb base afterall (not that I'm too bothered by that).

Szu

you people want to beat PRs?

SLEEP, long and deep.

yesterday I went to sleep at 9:30 PM and woke up 8:00 AM

today was bench day and went with my roomate and I taught him how to spot.

frnXxyM.gif

Way to go, sphinx!!!

On a semi related note, I decided to take a back picture and got an "accidental" ass shot.

I can't let Falling and sphinx be the only ones with the glutes.
QcLzSES.jpg

Teggy

Nailed my macros today. It's like my new puzzle game. Food are the pieces and a scoop of whey is the wildcard :)

Imm0rt4l

I made a semi version of that quest oatmeal posted a few pages back.

Oatmeal mixed with syrup, cinnamon, half a scoop of whey and white chocolate raspberry diced up. So freakin good.

Second day of following the Petrie method (sedentary calories then eat more depending on what I burn) so yesterday I only ate 1800 calories but today I ate 2400 but burned around 700 between 40 minutes of lifting and 20 minutes of the elliptical.
Hows the hr monitor?

Cooter

Just went down and purchased some chalk for DLs tomorrow. Pretty excited to see the difference. Hoping to get my 385x5 tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe I'll go for 400 if I'm feeling good....

Sorry, don't have much advice on this one. I've been thinking about getting a bag too and hanging it in the garage. However, I was going to just get padded gloves, basically mma-type gloves. Would be a nice change of pace for cardio.

Maybe someone else will speak up, but I don't really recall anyone here mentioning that they box. I could be wrong, but that may be why no one has any real good answers.

Mm, that's a pity. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom