• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Holy moly my FitGaf deadlifting bros! You weren't kidding about how wonderful chalk is. Hot damn! Sunday I failed at 385 twice. Today I pulled 405 five times! Feeling great and glad I didn't opt for straps.

I remember a while back somebody posted a DIY pull up bar for your backyard. I'm thinking about building one. Any of you guys have success in building one, how do you like it and whatnot? What I'm using currently is too low to the ground.

deadbeef

Tension day tomorrow, I've only done it once before but I hated it with a passion.

Oh wow the week flies by. Almost time for another carb up haha. You should've tightening up by now right? How's it going?

Did you get the dextrose?

Finished day two of mesocycle one for 5/3/1. 166 more work out days before my wedding. I swear I'll stop posting this shit every day I lift soon, but just for now it's nice to keep count. Going well so far!

Noema

Guess who's back, bitches!?

http://youtu.be/jmBhdNNJwIw

My man

509aea630604f6ff74b077b94c9ae708-how-i-met-your-mother-high-five.gif

Your form looks good! If I may offer one critique: you're unlocking your knees too soon on the way down. Unlock your hips, and then unlock your knees once the bar has traveled past them.

SeanR1221

My man

509aea630604f6ff74b077b94c9ae708-how-i-met-your-mother-high-five.gif

Your form looks good! If I may offer one critique: you're unlocking your knees too soon on the way down. Unlock your hips, and then unlock your knees once the bar has traveled past them.

Thanks mang and I'll definitely consciously do that. That's always been a problem for me on deads.

Taking this very low weight as an opportunity to really work on form. Focusing on keeping tight and having my head in a neutral position.

Imm0rt4l

Holy moly my FitGaf deadlifting bros! You weren't kidding about how wonderful chalk is. Hot damn! Sunday I failed at 385 twice. Today I pulled 405 five times! Feeling great and glad I didn't opt for straps.

It's amazing really. I can't do working sets without it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well eating alot more and got proper sleep for once. Feel like I can finally breakthrough and do 210 or 215 lb squats tonight.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well eating alot more and got proper sleep for once. Feel like I can finally breakthrough and do 210 or 215 lb squats tonight.

Tonight's your night brah, you'll smash it. I have faith. 215! Go for broke!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, regardless of how much the weight is now, I just prefer using chalk. Feels great.

Also think I'm going to get me a pair of proper shoes. Nike Romaleos 2. Fuck it, lets go.
I was thinking the same thing about getting proper weightlifting shoes. I'm curious to see if it really makes much of a difference.

Regarding the chalk on every set, it already feels like I'm 16 and sneaking alcohol in my room when I use it for my last two. I would use it every set if my gym allowed it.it.

abuC

Oh wow the week flies by. Almost time for another carb up haha. You should've tightening up by now right? How's it going?

Did you get the dextrose?

I seriously hate the tension day, so far the four depletion days haven't been so bad but that 1 tension day was just awful and took so long because I had almost no energy. I knew it was working though cause I had a lactic acid build up which Lyle said should be expected. I see a noticeable difference in my shoulders right now, a lot of striations and veins are starting to show.

I ordered the Dextrose ,unfortunately it won't be here until Friday.

I saw a dude 1/16 squat 100kg today.
I don't judge though, I focus on myself.

This is the way I am. Unless something unbelievably ridiculous, I could not care less about judging others doing crappy routines or having poor form.

Instead, i'm always on the lookout for people better than me.

Saw a 19/20 year old at 82.5kg (I asked him) squat 270kg. It was not quite parallel but holy fuck if that is not one of the most impressive things anyone will ever see at the gym.

Much more inspiring than fixating on someone quarter squatting or doing curl routines.

Guyz guyz! I didn't get injured! Anyway, today's lifts
Front Squat 315x3x5 OK!
Bench 180x3x5 OK!
Power Clean 180x3x5 Missed Attempt

And my macros were almost perfect:
Calories 2,388
Carbs 6%
Fat 63%
Protein 33%

Also, got a lifting buddy! It's always fun to teach someone else the main lifts. It's been some years since I coached anyone

Noema

Also, got a lifting buddy! It's always fun to teach someone else the main lifts. It's been some years since I coached anyone

Heh, I'm also coaching a friend. He's doing SS and I'm teaching him the lifts. He's very motivated, though let's see if how he feels after the squats start getting really heavy.

He did 105lb on Squats yesterday and it was not easy for him at all, but he did all his reps.

despire

I remember a while back somebody posted a DIY pull up bar for your backyard. I'm thinking about building one. Any of you guys have success in building one, how do you like it and whatnot? What I'm using currently is too low to the ground.

I posted that but I haven't done anything yet. It's too late, winter is coming. Probably waiting until springtime unless I just happen to find all the materials.

On a totally another note, my throat is sore as fuck. Feeling otherwise pretty ok but I guess I have to take it easy. No gym and calories up to TDEE starting today..

Chittagong

Gold Member
Cooter having lifted all his life without lifting shoes and chalk, imagine what he looks like when he puts himself on the same line with the rest of us :-O

sphinx

the piano man
Heh, I'm also coaching a friend. He's doing SS and I'm teaching him the lifts. He's very motivated, though let's see if how he feels after the squats start getting really heavy.

He did 105lb on Squats yesterday and it was not easy for him at all, but he did all his reps.

my "student" (my roommate, lol) doesn want to learn anything leg related because he thinks his legs are o.k and strong enough >_>... I want to be gentle and avoid saying mean things like "at this point, you aren't strong anywhere in you body" but on the other hand, I can't seem to get my point across that it's not just a matter of a bodypart being slightly in better shape than the other...

another thing that annoys me to hell is that I can't stop him from doing every single set he does to failure... I have repeated a hundred times it's not like that... but he says "I want to give it my best shot, try the hardest I can".... he is passionate, which is definitely a virtue but has a lot learn.... I gotta give him some time though.

he benched 5x3 30 kgs / 65 lbs, and Ohp 35 3x3 35 kgs/ 71 lbs. (he was hyped on OHP day and tired on bench day....)

For a skinny fat with no training and spaghetti arms, I considered that solid.

despire

my "student" (my roommate, lol) doesn want to learn anything leg related because he thinks his legs are o.k and strong enough >_>... I want to be gentle and avoid saying mean things like "at this point, you aren't strong anywhere in you body" but on the other hand, I can't seem to get my point across that it's not just a matter of a bodypart being slightly in better shape than the other...

another thing that annoys me to hell is that I can't stop him from doing every single set he does to failure... I have repeated a hundred times it's not like that... but he says "I want to give it my best shot, try the hardest I can".... he is passionate, which is definitely a virtue but has a lot learn.... I gotta give him some time though.

he benched 5x3 30 kgs / 65 lbs, and Ohp 35 3x3 35 kgs/ 71 lbs. (he was hyped on OHP day and tired on bench day....)

You should say to him that his legs are "strong enough" when he can squat 180kg x 20. Until he can do that, he should also train his legs unless he's an idiot.

Also explain to him why it's not good idea to constantly hit failure on your sets. It fries your nervous system and makes it harder to recover, possibly making him fail in progress earlier than otherwise would've happened.

Also he needs to understand that he knows nothing so he shouldn't argue this stuff. He should do as people more experienced than him tell to do.

Alright, FitGAF, I want to get fit. I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks now, on Monday I'll sign up for a gym in my town and I'll start working out on Tuesday. I'm overweight, the only physical activity that I do during a usual week is playing soccer on Sunday evening for an hour and a half. So, since I have nothing to lose or anything, I decided to get in a better shape.

I thought the best way to begin would've been to follow the OP advices, especially the beginner's program. I've looked at the videos in the second post and tried to do them at home, mixed results but I guess I'll have to try them with actual weights. My objective is to lose weight (around 10-15 kg) and build muscle, so that I could be at least in an acceptable shape next summer. I plan to go to the gym three days a week to begin with (I'm guessing Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and Saturday morning). Comments? Suggestions?

SeanR1221

Alright, FitGAF, I want to get fit. I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks now, on Monday I'll sign up for a gym in my town and I'll start working out on Tuesday. I'm overweight, the only physical activity that I do during a usual week is playing soccer on Sunday evening for an hour and a half. So, since I have nothing to lose or anything, I decided to get in a better shape.

I thought the best way to begin would've been to follow the OP advices, especially the beginner's program. I've looked at the videos in the second post and tried to do them at home, mixed results but I guess I'll have to try them with actual weights. My objective is to lose weight (around 10-15 kg) and build muscle, so that I could be at least in an acceptable shape next summer. I plan to go to the gym three days a week to begin with (I'm guessing Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and Saturday morning). Comments? Suggestions?

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Start light (just the bar) and keep adding weight until you get to your 5 rep max to see what you should start with. Unless you want to just start with the bar which is ok too.

Ask questions. The people who actually have interest in this get the best results.

Buy starting strength. It's cheap on the kindle store. It will help break down the major compounds for you.

Good luck!

Chittagong

Gold Member

Sounds like the right plan and certainly realistic. It's good to orient yourself to think that diet is for losing weight and lifting is to ensure that you preserve and grow muscle while doing so. Contrary to popular belief for beginners it's certainly possible to both build muscle and drop weight - as long as your diet is in check and you lift.

Follow the program to the letter and you will see great results. Worry more about getting the form right rather than weight, I did no favours to myself trying to rush to more 'manly' weights. Now that I deloaded and started lower with solid form I am progressing again.

Nothing to lose and the world to gain. I was a skinny-fat kid through my final year of high school, but from college and beyond I have become more muscular, healthier, and so much happier. As others have said, your outlook and approach seem solid. Keep in mind the three core principles of a healthy lifestyle: rest (which includes getting enough sleep), diet (this doesn't mean diet as in "temporary" but diet as in "a lifestyle choice to eat relatively healthy), and physical activity (weight lifting, cardio, day-to-day tasks all count). Don't stress out about each of these right now, but just take small, progressive steps towards improving each of these three facets of your life and you'll find yourself very happy and very successful.

Also, don't fret any set-backs. We all have bad days at the gym, rough nights where we lose a lot of sleep, or cravings for junk food which we succumb to. Just do your best and keep your mind set on your goals.

Friends like this is why I generally don't talk about lifting with my friends. So many people have no interest in getting educated about the recommended starting routines and best practices.

SeanR1221

Friends like this is why I generally don't talk about lifting with my friends. So many people have no interest in getting educated about the recommended starting routines and best practices.

Yeah I only have one friend serious about training.

Another casually goes. Another stopped going. Another said he just wants to maintain now after going for 6 months.

Szu

Yeah I only have one friend serious about training.

Another casually goes. Another stopped going. Another said he just wants to maintain now after going for 6 months.

Wow, you guys just made me realize that, outside of my gym and FitGaf, I don't really regularly talk to anyone else about fitness.

80 dollars a month for a gym with an indoor court, pool, tennis courts, racquet ball courts, crossfit area, personal classes, indoor track, and a gym full of free weights to suit all of my needs...

still though, how does that price sound to you guys? Should I just shrug all the extra stuff off and look for something focused purely on free weights for cheaper?

Zoe

80 dollars a month for a gym with an indoor court, pool, tennis courts, racquet ball courts, crossfit area, personal classes, indoor track, and a gym full of free weights to suit all of my needs...

still though, how does that price sound to you guys? Should I just shrug all the extra stuff off and look for something focused purely on free weights for cheaper?

That's not so bad as long as you actually put those amenities to use. If not, just go somewhere cheap with weights.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Start light (just the bar) and keep adding weight until you get to your 5 rep max to see what you should start with. Unless you want to just start with the bar which is ok too.

Ask questions. The people who actually have interest in this get the best results.

Buy starting strength. It's cheap on the kindle store. It will help break down the major compounds for you.

Good luck!

Sounds like the right plan and certainly realistic. It's good to orient yourself to think that diet is for losing weight and lifting is to ensure that you preserve and grow muscle while doing so. Contrary to popular belief for beginners it's certainly possible to both build muscle and drop weight - as long as your diet is in check and you lift.

Follow the program to the letter and you will see great results. Worry more about getting the form right rather than weight, I did no favours to myself trying to rush to more 'manly' weights. Now that I deloaded and started lower with solid form I am progressing again.

Nothing to lose and the world to gain. I was a skinny-fat kid through my final year of high school, but from college and beyond I have become more muscular, healthier, and so much happier. As others have said, your outlook and approach seem solid. Keep in mind the three core principles of a healthy lifestyle: rest (which includes getting enough sleep), diet (this doesn't mean diet as in "temporary" but diet as in "a lifestyle choice to eat relatively healthy), and physical activity (weight lifting, cardio, day-to-day tasks all count). Don't stress out about each of these right now, but just take small, progressive steps towards improving each of these three facets of your life and you'll find yourself very happy and very successful.

Also, don't fret any set-backs. We all have bad days at the gym, rough nights where we lose a lot of sleep, or cravings for junk food which we succumb to. Just do your best and keep your mind set on your goals.
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. I'll check in after my first workout, I might have a few questions.

Teggy

My new workout shoes :) Haven't had a pair of these in over 15 years and certainly wasn't lifting weights in them. (never had low-tops, actually)

2795C802-C0A9-4352-9A27-937C787BB946-9779-00000EAF87F37826.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about getting proper weightlifting shoes. I'm curious to see if it really makes much of a difference.

Regarding the chalk on every set, it already feels like I'm 16 and sneaking alcohol in my room when I use it for my last two. I would use it every set if my gym allowed it.it.

Yeah, the only proper gear I have is chalk. I'm curious if I got a belt, shoes, and straps, what I can do from there. Shit will get expensive.

$200 shoes
$110 belt
$50 straps

I think I will. I don't see why not. It can only help me grow!

Weighing in this week at 236. Next week, 237. 255 lbs, here I come!

look to see if your city has a rec center. mine offers basically all that and more and it's less than $20 a month. gets a little crowded in the summer but no more than the average gym, and after august it feels like an exclusive country club with how empty it usually is. love the freedom to play basketball or swim on those days when i want to workout but shouldn't be lifting and the weather is never a factor for those either which is awesome.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Been having a bagel with peanut butter every morning for the past week.

So.

Good.

Seriously, this might just be better than good ol' bagel with cream cheese.

Mark1

Is it normal for the weight to go up a bit when moving to a new diet? As I started the beginner routine in the OP, I noticed I've put on a bit of weight ever since eating more meat.

EDIT: I'm concerned about gaining too much fat. I've gone from 70kg on Monday to 74/5kg today, I know you're only meant to check the scales once a week at least but I had to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom