• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

That's weird because I've had the same exact thing happen to me where I've been so dehydrated they couldn't get the iv in, but I didn't have near the same response either of you did. Not hating just think it's interesting.

Sadetar

That's weird because I've had the same exact thing happen to me where I've been so dehydrated they couldn't get the iv in, but I didn't have near the same response either of you did. Not hating just think it's interesting.
Well yes. We all react differently. Also I think that if it wasn't your first time that might have helped.

My first was absolutely horrid and afterwards they have had really hard time putting the needle in, I have been sweating and nearly fainting and it also seems I have no veins.

RoeBear

Well yes. We all react differently. Also I think that if it wasn't your first time that might have helped.

My first was absolutely horrid and afterwards they have had really hard time putting the needle in, I have been sweating and nearly fainting and it also seems I have no veins.

Spooky O_O

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, alright. You've all convinced me. I'm going to start lifting 3 days a week in the small gym we have at my apartment complex. Can someone give me a hand in creating a 3 day schedule? I'd like to lose some fat and tone, not trying to get bulky. I know it may be tricky with limited equipment, but any help is appreciated. I was using Sean's suggestion for a few weeks.

6'0 - 225lbs. Average build.

Here's what my gym has:
Dumbbells - 3lbs up to 75lbs I believe
Free weights - 0lbs to multiple plates
Bench - adjustable for inclined bench, military press etc.
Circuit machine: With these exercises:
Leg Press - Can use for calf press too.
Lat bar - can be switched to do tricep pull-downs too.
Row station - with other attachments
Shoulder press station
Bench press station
Chest station (Butterfly press? It's the one with the pads on the vertical bars and you press them closed with your forearms).
Leg Curl station.

Ab wheel
Medicine ball

So using those (and I may be missing a few that the machine can do) would someone be able to come up with a 3 day lift plan to help me lose some weight and tone?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Stop intimidating the newbs! Seriously though, looking big and strong. God damn! 245 and 5'8 looking like this is no joke.

Hah, thanks man.

looking nasty strong bro. please post that pic of you before you started lifting and was a runner, huge difference

This is the closest I could find without having to fire up my desktop.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=34324382

Alright, alright. You've all convinced me. I'm going to start lifting 3 days a week in the small gym we have at my apartment complex. Can someone give me a hand in creating a 3 day schedule? I'd like to lose some fat and tone, not trying to get bulky. I know it may be tricky with limited equipment, but any help is appreciated. I was using Sean's suggestion for a few weeks.

Here's what my gym has:
Shoulder press station
Bench press station
Chest station (Butterfly press? It's the one with the pads on the vertical bars and you press them closed with your forearms).
Leg Curl station.

Ab wheel
Medicine ball

So using those (and I may be missing a few that the machine can do) would someone be able to come up with a 3 day lift plan to help me lose some weight and tone?

You won't get "bulky" don't worry, that takes a lot of work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Here's what my gym has:
Shoulder press station
Bench press station
Leg Curl station.

Ab wheel
Medicine ball

The sooner you get your expectations in check the better. Throw out all that mental shit about tone and "getting too bulky" - that's silly. Adjust your expectations for how people really are.

You can adapt most of the routines in the OP to machines and DB work, so I recommend doing that. Something like:

Mon:
Bench
Lat pulldowns (until you get stronger)
DB Arnold Press
Deadlifts (you will run out of weight FAST on those DBs and it isn't correct but it's something)

Wed:
Bench
DB squats (will run out of weight FAST)
Lat pulldowns
Deadlift DBs

Fri:
Bench
Chin-ups via lat pulldown, until you get stronger
DB Arnold Press
DB Squats

That's just quick and dirty. Throw in some shitty curls and you'll be fine. You WILL run into issues with having enough weight, though. Don't waste your time in there with much accessory work and you'll know pretty soon if you're going to be worth spending time in a real gym for it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey, I didn't have any expectations about getting bulky, I was just stating I wanted to lose weight and tone. :p

Thanks for the schedule. I'll give that a shot. I'll see what else I can add, 4 lifts a day seems low but I don't have a ton to work with. Any other suggestions are handy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I didn't have any expectations about getting bulky, I was just stating I wanted to lose weight and tone. :p

Thanks for the schedule. I'll give that a shot. Any other suggestions are handy.

"Fix your diet" is a pretty universal one that works for most people. You got any diet issues or plan?

Also keep in mind machines don't give you a REAL range of motion like barbell work does. Keep in your mind that you're working gimped, and your REAL numbers aren't the same when you make a transition to barbell work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
"Fix your diet" is a pretty universal one that works for most people. You got any diet issues or plan?

I do well on diet now generally. Like I said I've been doing cardio mainly now that it's nice (running), and before that I did P90X programs, Insanity, etc.

I eat well during the week. I do have some issues on weekends here and there though, working on that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I do well on diet now generally. Like I said I've been doing cardio mainly now that it's nice (running), and before that I did P90X programs, Insanity, etc.

I eat well during the week. I do have some issues on weekends here and there though, working on that.

Can you give specifics?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can you give specifics?

Weekdays generally consist of something like this:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal
or
Fruit + Cheese cubes

Lunch:
Wheat Pita bread with lunch meat
Carrots

Snack:
Almonds
or
Peanuts

Dinner:
Quinoa/roasted veggies
or
Chicken/roasted veggies
or
Other meats/veggies

(I know I should change out the lunch meat due to sodium, it's just so easy for work. I could do chicken though).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
warriortraps1.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cool. Weekends are my issue. I tend to eat out a few times, and generally eat worse over the weekend. I need to get that under control and just cook more on weekends.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The upper back in general can make a dude look huge.

True that. I think the upper back and traps are the key to looking like you lift when wearing everyday clothing. Every other guy seems to have swole arms, but it's the shoulders/traps/upper back that separate the badasses from your average curl-bro who just kinda blends into the crowd.

I mean, look at dis shit:

attachment.php

Dude looks menacing

That's the look I want.

I'm developing traps for the first time in my life, and feels goodman

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'll have to try those again. I got distracted with other movements.

Should be noted snatch grip shrugs are gonna work more of the lower trap area. And give you more of a thicker upper back look. I don't really give a shit about upper traps.

Farmer carries and heavy deadlifts will also get you there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Since I started around 11 months ago, the only stark difference I've noticed is my traps/upper back. Still nothing compared to Trap Lord and others in the thread, but I I went from zero to some decent bulk back there. Must be all of the pull ups.

Should be noted snatch grip shrugs are gonna work more of the lower trap area. And give you more of a thicker upper back look. I don't really give a shit about upper traps.

Farmer carries and heavy deadlifts will also get you there.

Gotcha. I mean don't get me wrong they are there and you can see them when I'm flexing, but not nearly as big and nasty as I want them to be. Hardy in Batman is fantastic to me. Dem traps. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to do both. I just need to stick with them. I do a shit ton of rows just not enough shrug variations.

And of course, always be heavy deadlifting.

I just try to eat no bread, dough, candy and other things with wheat. you will automatically make a low carb diet with that attitude. you have to consider the fat intake as well of course.

However, in two weeks an eating orgy with german tarts awaits me.

Sugar is sugar. Nothing really special about sugar found in fruit. Don't get hung up on "natural."

No one is telling you that you can't eat a banana. Depending on your goals and plan, though, chances are that you probably shouldn't.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gotcha. I mean don't get me wrong they are there and you can see them when I'm flexing, but not nearly as big and nasty as I want them to be. Hardy in Batman is fantastic to me. Dem traps. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to do both. I just need to stick with them. I do a shit ton of rows just not enough shrug variations.

And of course, always be heavy deadlifting.

You gotta remember that dude was also on some heavy shit for warrior, batman, and Bronson. Keep shit in perspective.

You gotta remember that dude was also on some heavy shit for warrior, batman, and Bronson. Keep shit in perspective.

Oh of course. Totally aware of that. I've always been a wide dood and ever since I started lifting, I've only gotten wider. Getting those traps would make me even more of an imposing monster. As my friends say to me, he's trying to get wrestler big. That's what I want.

SeanR1221

Total superficial thing but am I the only one who starts with their shirts tight(ish) around their arms and then it stretches out and looks kind of bad by the end of the day? It's annoying and happens with all my 100% Cotton shirts.

The only alternatives are where a cotton poly blend (which I prefer how soft 100% Cotton is)
Or wear large instead of extra large but I don't like how tight large fits in my chest and back.

RoeBear

Total superficial thing but am I the only one who starts with their shirts tight(ish) around their arms and then it stretches out and looks kind of bad by the end of the day? It's annoying and happens with all my 100% Cotten shirts.

Happens to me too. Worst part about cotton is that boxer briefs are chocking my legs for about an hour after I put them on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
edit: also im a fan of as little sugar as possible, but no fruits? come on son!

This doesn't make any sense. What makes the sugars in fruit so special that they do not fall under the "as little sugar as possible" category of which you are a fan?

Traps are the ones around your neck?

More or less. Look up trapezius muscle.

Ashodin

This doesn't make any sense. What makes the sugars in fruit so special that they do not fall under the "as little sugar possible" category of which you are a fan?

More or less. Look up trapezius muscle.

Ah yeah, shoulder/ back of the neck muscles.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You are perfect just the way you are ;_; <3

Not feeling well and super tired but still going to do 20 minutes when I get home. Fuck it.

You'll feel better once its done. Get to it.

Pete Rock

That's not entirely true. Circadian rhythm and all at jazz.
Uhm, yeah I was going to say, by design we certainly do run on a daily cycle as does every other animal... lol

I had an impromptu 24 hr fast yesterday, ended up walking around in the sun drinking a gallon of water for six hours/miles at the park. It was beautiful. Too busy taking it all in to eat. Have you ever stared at the wind in the trees and just breathed really slow? You should try it some time, it's really relaxing.

But back to the topic I think it would be less productive to do that once a week versus a daily IF program, which has proven results. But best of luck to that dude tell us how it goes in six months.

Leeness

I did iiiiiiit. Only 20 today cause I don't feel too good, but I did burpies for the first time in a while so... I'm wiped lol

Mully

Mully's Post ACL Surgery Not Quite 5/3/1 Program: Starting from scratch, again.

So, for the past few months I've slowly but surely rehabbing and getting back into the routine of hitting the gym with an actual program instead of the Bosu ball bullshit my PT had me doing since goddamn January.

Well that's all over. Except for the fact that my left quad and hamstring are weak as shit still and my squat numbers are extremely low. Surprisingly, everything else is pretty close to where I was about six months into my first foray into 5/3/1 nearly a year ago. Here were the numbers I reached just prior to my injury:

OHP: 155X5
DL: 330X4
Bench: 230X2
Squat: 305X2

Below is what I've come up with as my routine. Feel free to critique the shit out of me since I've become a skinny fat little asshole since tearing my ACL last Thanksgiving. Drinking and being forbidden by work and both of my doctors will do that. Fuck all of that. I'm ready to get back into it.

Tuesday - Deadlift/OHP
Deadlift - 3X5
BBB - 5X5
OHP - 3X5
Dips - 5X12

Thursday - Bench/Back
Bench - 3X5
BBB - 5X5
DB Rows - 5X10
Pull-ups - 5X10

Sunday - Squat/Rehab
Foam Roller
Squat - 5X10 (Bar 1st set, add 10lbs each set, focus on form)
Leg Curl - 3X12
Leg Press - 3X20
One Leg Squat - AMAP (as many as possible -- still weak on left)
Chins - 5X10

Ugh I think I'm getting tired of SS. I've been stuck on my lifts this month and I think I'm ready for something new. Should I move on to the upper/lower body split workout in the OP or should I stick with SS for a couple more months? I started SS in mid January fyi.

My PRs so far (in lbs)
Squat 250 3x5
Bench Press 185 3x5
Deadlift 275 (had to deload from 290) 1x5
OHP 135 3x5
Power Cleans 155 5x3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom