• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Finally decided to just go full weightloss mode instead of balancing in weight training. Should make it easier to plan meals.

Yah, today is the second day and it looks better already.

Yeah bloating for me always lasts a few days. Have to remind myself that it is only temporary. And as for me, I think I'm just going to keep cutting/recomp until I'm happy with how I look like. Gains will be put to the side. As mentioned, my main priority when it comes to diet is hitting around 250g of protein and eating 2500 calories. Carbs and fat vary day to day. I wonder if that is hurting me or if it isnt that big of a deal that I don't have a true set of macros to follow.

Leeness

By the way, how much is too much steak?

I cook things in a slow cooker and it lasts like a week and chicken kind of sucks in slow cooker so I don't want it every week and switch between chicken and steak. This week is a steak week so it's going to be like four small steaks over five days.

I cook things in a slow cooker and it lasts like a week and chicken kind of sucks in slow cooker so I don't want it every week and switch between chicken and steak. This week is a steak week so it's going to be like four small steaks over five days.

Id weigh it out in 4oz portions. All depends on how many times you are eating it a day too and what your marcos are.

Vol5

yeah, so after my last rant I've started 5/3/1. Managed OHP pretty easily, 5x20 dips and 3x10 chins. Feels good. Never done good mornings so really looking forward to them tomorrow. 5/3/1 can be personalised a lot it looks like. This is the routine for me as I like to switch it up (barring the 4 mains obviously).

I've got a couple of holidays coming up. Do I just continue where I left off when I'm back?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Man, the cheatmeal bloat is real. A whole pack of chocolate and Ben & Jerry does taste good, but probably not gonna do the same thing in the coming months.

Perma-bloat

Had 10 ww raisin & cinnamon toast, 10 eggs, 1L lemonade and 1L chocolate milk yesterday. I took a nap after so my body could process the 3000 cals.

Pakoe

I know these feels all too well. After my cheat day last Monday I was bloated till Friday. It can really fuck with your head at times.

Oh yeah it can, sunday felt like shit. Immediately knew why i hardly do cheatmeals.

Perma-bloat

Had 10 ww raisin & cinnamon toast, 10 eggs, 1L lemonade and 1L chocolate milk yesterday. I took a nap after so my body could process the 3000 cals.

Dat chocolate milk, hnnnggg.

Matugi

EC got me feelin some type of way. Hit 3x3 at 275lbs on bench press. Another gymbro came over to me and was like, "dude that's fucking legit"

If everything goes well I'm thinking about competing in powerlifting in the fall semester. Strength Standards says my current 1RM is around 320lbs at 163lbs bodyweight but I've never attempted anything above 305. I figure I'd need at least 315 to place

I have just very recently started with a home fitness program and swimming twice a week as a gateway to the real work in a couple of months and to try and get some discipline in my life. Workout and nutrition wise.
I've been trying to read up on kinds of stuff when it comes to nutrition and my knowledge is still very limited. I do still have a question about the added sugars intake. Since I now started looking at the labels for the nutrition value whenever I go shopping for food, I am amazed at the amount of added sugars in food.

Now, I was wondering under how many grams of added sugar a day I should shoot for to help me get a more toned body.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have just very recently started with a home fitness program and swimming twice a week as a gateway to the real work in a couple of months and to try and get some discipline in my life. Workout and nutrition wise.
I've been trying to read up on kinds of stuff when it comes to nutrition and my knowledge is still very limited. I do still have a question about the added sugars intake. Since I now started looking at the labels for the nutrition value whenever I go shopping for food, I am amazed at the amount of added sugars in food.

Now, I was wondering under how many grams of added sugar a day I should shoot for to help me get a more toned body.

0 grams of all sugars!

Sugar is an addictive poison. Eliminate it, and your body will thank you.

Someone else will post a better and more comprehensive discussion of this, but don't get hung up on "added sugar" but instead, focus on the bottom line of sugar. The less the better.

Pete Rock

I consume 66g of sugars from whole milk and about another 60 split between sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, chicken stock, tomatoes, almonds and cashews.

Absolutely zero sugar from candy, corn or high fructose corn syrups of any kind. No highly refined flour products with heavy simple carb loads such as, breads, pastries, pasta, etc.

0 grams of all sugars!

Someone else will post a better and more comprehensive discussion of this, but don't get hung up on "added sugar" but instead, focus on the bottom line of sugar. The less the better.

With the risk of sounding like a completely dumbass here, what about the sugar in fruit though? You telling me I can't even eat a banana?

I consume 66g of sugars from whole milk and about another 60 split between sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, chicken stock, tomatoes, almonds and cashews.

Absolutely zero sugar from candy, corn or high fructose corn syrups of any kind. No highly refined flour products with heavy simple carb loads such as, breads, pastries, pasta, etc.

Thanks, that helps to set me in the right direction.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With the risk of sounding like a completely dumbass here, what about the sugar in fruit though? You telling me I can't even eat a banana?

Thanks, that helps to set me in the right direction.

in moderation my friend! Personally I stay away from fruits as well. Everyone's different though.

sphinx

the piano man

when I was learning about nutrition some months back I was confronted with this decision, to do or not to do what's in the quote.

at first I was like "don't fuck everything up, do the right thing, eat right, you'll see mad gains everywhere" but then I realized that food restriction makes me unbelievably, extremely unhappy and decided to not follow the path.

if at some point in my life I feel strong enough in my soul and mind, and I feel so much happiness in other areas of my life that food restriction would seem to be bearable, I'd give it a try.

to summarize in one word: excuses.

so mad props to all of you guys who eat what's needed and not what's wanted.

Cudder

I think, like most things fitness related, we can point you out in the right direction, but a lot of things (diet, working out), you'll just have to figure out yourself as you go along. Your body is an experiment. As time goes on you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Thanks guys. I'll try to keep it in check and try to see what works for me.
Right before I started this 'regime change' in my life and started to read up it, I almost fell backwards when I noticed the amount of sugar I was getting in the morning from my breakfast cereal, hot chocolade and yoghurt to name a few things.

My rule is: If I don't lift, I have no right to carbs. Therefore, I lift.

For example, yesterday I ate a large pizza in one sit. No regrets.

heh, going through my old pics, I wonder what would have happened if I decided to go for a slow type of bulk and not worry so much about strength gains

dSrflIx.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Right before I started this 'regime change' in my life and started to read up it, I almost fell backwards when I noticed the amount of sugar I was getting in the morning from my breakfast cereal, hot chocolade and yoghurt to name a few things.

Isn't it nuts? I fucking ate POP TARTS for breakfast. What the SHIT was I thinking?

Pete Rock

This episode of Panty & Stocking was really inspirational when I first saw it two years ago, the struggle is real and the legitimate demons are sugars and carbs! The Diet Syndrome: "Yeah, I don't care anymore. Too much effort..."

To be fair it took me six months of SS training and not seeing the results I was looking for, lowering body fat while gaining lean mass, before I fully committed to my current diet and schedule. Everything is incrementally related like inter-meshing gears in a time piece, if one wears or breaks down the entire cycle slips and the motion of the hand is slowed. So it's not just hard training but also successful nutrition and rest (sleep, smr, yoga) cycles that produces the best results.

A while ago an old gym buddy told me something I found to be interesting. A series of successful actions makes a successful day, a series of successful days makes a successful week, a series of successful weeks makes a successful month, and a series of successful months makes a successful year. Instead of feeling confined and debilitated by these restrictions I feel empowered to be a better person so as to not trip the cycle I've worked so hard to maintain. It's like a positive feedback loop, which is another reason I don't even bother with cheat days anymore. You just evolve past it entirely. Also as recently mentioned, dat awful bloat, eughhhhh no thanks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good stuff. Reminds me of my last set I did last week at 335. Last 2 reps killed me. my legs were shaking when I was standing with the barbell waiting to go down for those 2 reps lol.

Yeah after getting stuck on the 4th rep I kinda question my own sanity going for 5. Lol.

Isn't it nuts? I fucking ate POP TARTS for breakfast. What the SHIT was I thinking?

I had the same unhealthy breakfast for so long, it's weird trying to change now. You wake up and you already have that taste of the cereal in your mouth when walking downstairs. I'm up for a challenge, though, see how it goes.

This episode of Panty & Stocking was really inspirational when I first saw it two years ago, the struggle is real and the legitimate demons are sugars and carbs! The Diet Syndrome: "Yeah, I don't care anymore. Too much effort..."

To be fair it took me six months of SS training and not seeing the results I was looking for, lowering body fat while gaining lean mass, before I fully committed to my current diet and schedule. Everything is incrementally related like inter-meshing gears in a time piece, if one wears or breaks down the entire cycle slips and the motion of the hand is slowed. So it's not just hard training but also successful nutrition and rest (sleep, smr, yoga) cycles that produces the best results.

A while ago an old gym buddy told me something I found to be interesting. A series of successful actions makes a successful day, a series of successful days makes a successful week, a series of successful weeks makes a successful month, and a series of successful months makes a successful year. Instead of feeling confined and debilitated by these restrictions I feel empowered to be a better person so as to not trip the cycle I've worked so hard to maintain. It's like a positive feedback loop, which is another reason I don't even bother with cheat days anymore. You just evolve past it entirely. Also as recently mentioned, dat awful bloat, eughhhhh no thanks.

Good stuff, thanks.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
0 grams of all sugars!

I like the Pete Rubish diet, bags of gummies, cookies, donuts...

To me sugar is a godsend, stick it in my veins! Need those cheap calories to just maintain.

Gonna chow down a few lil debbie creme pies and wash them down with chocolate milk after my egg sandwhiches.

Not having a desk job has its advantages, eat everything and still look brim.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
We went to a little get together with a friend of ours who is a lesbian and all her friends who are also lesbians. Yeah, I know, crazy how that happened. Anyway, I just found out that this cute little thing who I assumed was gay or still is told our friend she wants me and that apparently she wants me pretty bad. This might be the biggest ego boost I've ever received. I mean, come on! Think about that for a second. Haha

Mind sharing your steak slow cooker recipe?

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/sunday-slow-cooker-asian-shredded-beef/

Omnomnom

I don't really eat the sauce, the steak just kind of absorbs it haha. So I don't feel the sauce is too "bad" even though it has sugar in it because so much of the sauce ends up going in the garbage. </waste>

Daaaaamn. Gonna eat the shit out of this.

I had Panda Express the other day... such shitty food but it is so, so good. I cleared all of this and remember feeling that I still had plenty of room for more:

OG Kush

Need some help here.. I'm doing a 24 hour fast once a week where I don't eat. This is to lose weight by means of me doing minimal cardio and not having to be strict with my diet the other days. its great for weight loss, the only thing that bothers me is that I normally fast on the whole of Sunday, and then wake up Monday have breakfast etc and go to the gym. I've been notiicing that my energy levels the first day after that fast just aren't there, but I fine the next day (obviously that whole day of eating before and gettings carbs in helps).. but any advice what I can do? Switch my gym to the night once I've had a 2/3 meals of getting some food in my system? I prfer morning workouts but if its detrimental I'll change it.
Cheers.

edit: also im a fan of as little sugar as possible, but no fruits? come on son!

Matugi

Need some help here.. I'm doing a 24 hour fast once a week where I don't eat. This is to lose weight by means of me doing minimal cardio and not having to be strict with my diet the other days. its great for weight loss, the only thing that bothers me is that I normally fast on the whole of Sunday, and then wake up Monday have breakfast etc and go to the gym. I've been notiicing that my energy levels the first day after that fast just aren't there, but I fine the next day (obviously that whole day of eating before and gettings carbs in helps).. but any advice what I can do? Switch my gym to the night once I've had a 2/3 meals of getting some food in my system? I prfer morning workouts but if its detrimental I'll change it.
Cheers.

edit: also im a fan of as little sugar as possible, but no fruits? come on son!

Honestly, change your diet. This is a very silly approach IMO. If you want to do the fasting thing, look up IF.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck it, selfie time.

I weighed in at 245 today at 5'8" and wanted to see how I looked in my old tank top.

Well, it appears I've not gotten much fatter.

1017545_10204092883873328_4699063775319196882_n.jpg

10338329_10204092883953330_5530734272016378887_n.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Fuck it, selfie time.

I weighed in at 245 today at 5'8" and wanted to see how I looked in my old tank top.

1017545_10204092883873328_4699063775319196882_n.jpg

10338329_10204092883953330_5530734272016378887_n.jpg

Stop intimidating the newbs! Seriously though, looking big and strong. God damn! 245 and 5'8 looking like this is no joke.

Sadetar

I went to my weekly pilates class and now laughing hurts like hell.

Also I am super hungry and thirsty at the moment since I can't eat or drink anything for 12 hours cause I need to go to blood testes in the morning. The whole idea of not being able to do those just makes it even worse. Sucks.

It also crossed my mind that should I some day actually weight everything I eat and see what goes in atm. I am losing weight but I am not so sure about having enough protein and good fats. I eat chicken breast, quark, cottage cheese, nuts and hemp oil daily though. Now I am thinking should I stop worrying or actually bother to check it out. I mainly eat the same things every day so one day should clarify the situation pretty well.

I finished!!

Mein legs...so jelly. Walking around like a gelatinous blob
You go girl! :D

Since it's Sunday I figured I'd post a pic of all my GAINS

DrKaLcjl.jpg

p.s my arms have shrunk an incredible amount since going on my cut
Hahah, love it
and you
!

Fuck it, selfie time.

That is splendid cutie pie!

If there is any possibilities for comparison photo that would be highly appreciated as well. ^_^

I just try to eat no bread, dough, candy and other things with wheat. you will automatically make a low carb diet with that attitude. you have to consider the fat intake as well of course.

However, in two weeks an eating orgy with german tarts awaits me.

Zoe

Also I am super hungry and thirsty at the moment since I can't eat or drink anything for 12 hours cause I need to go to blood testes in the morning. The whole idea of not being able to do those just makes it even worse. Sucks.

Most tests allow you to drink water. They'll have a hell of a time drawing the blood if you don't, actually.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Sugar is sugar. Nothing really special about sugar found in fruit. Don't get hung up on "natural."

No one is telling you that you can't eat a banana. Depending on your goals and plan, though, chances are that you probably shouldn't.

Sadetar

Most tests allow you to drink water. They'll have a hell of a time drawing the blood if you don't, actually.
They will drain me empty.

Also I have instructions that I can drink only 1 dl / 0.026 gallons of water during this 12 hours. It is basicly nothing.

I might just pass out while they take the blood, especially if it is going to be extra hard. I am afraid on needles. I would prefer them cutting my veins open with a knife than actually sticking a needle in them.

Pete Rock

I might just pass out while they take the blood, especially if it is going to be extra hard. I am afraid on needles. I would prefer them cutting my veins open with a knife than actually sticking a needle in them.
Do not watch the procedure, do not think of the pain, do not think of anything but some abstract positive vision that is entirely unrelated. When I was 12 I watched a nurse try to hit a vein 8 times before she sighed, looked at me and said "well I am new, let me get someone who knows what they are doing". I was white in the face, my ears were ringing and I was incredibly nauseous.

Ever since that experience if I so much as see a needle penetrate even simulated flesh on screen it will signal a terrible vasovagal synchope response. I was watching the Exorcist about five years ago and forgot about the needle scene, watched it and felt ill and said I needed to go upstairs to the bathroom. I remember getting most of the way up the stairs and I came to with my room mate standing over me incredibly upset, shaking me and freaking out. I passed out after my last step at the top of the stairs and they ran when they heard a thud lol.

Sadetar

Do not watch the procedure, do not think of the pain, do not think of anything but some abstract positive vision that is entirely unrelated. When I was 12 I watched a nurse try to hit a vein 8 times before she sighed, looked at me and said "well I am new, let me get someone who knows what they are doing". I was white in the face, my ears were ringing and I was incredibly nauseous.

Ever since that experience if I so much as see a needle penetrate even simulated flesh on screen it will signal a terrible vasovagal synchope response. I was watching the Exorcist about five years ago and forgot about the needle scene, watched it and felt ill and said I needed to go upstairs to the bathroom. I remember getting most of the way up the stairs and I came to with my room mate standing over me incredibly upset, shaking me and freaking out. I passed out after my last step at the top of the stairs and they ran when they heard a thud lol.
Awwww, poor babe. Even though it is relieving to hear I am not the only one.

To me it started when I was around 16: I went to a doctor cause my throat hurt and he sent me to lab to take some tests. I thought it would have been only some small sample with a q-tip from the mouth, but the nurse in there without a word pulled my sleeve up, put on the arm belt, took huge amounts of blood and sent me off saying that they are now closing. I managed to call my big brother that I am feeling awful and that I am outside of the hospital. It was around - 10 F / over - 20 C. Next thing I know is my brother picking me from the snow.

I am so going to do exactly like you adviced me to. I don't have the guts to look at it or I will feel even worse. I just want to know when it is all over.

Hopefully I will feel good enough in the afternoon to hit the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom