• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I think I'm getting tired of SS. I've been stuck on my lifts this month and I think I'm ready for something new. Should I move on to the upper/lower body split workout in the OP or should I stick with SS for a couple more months? I started SS in mid January fyi.

How tall/heavy are you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I think I'm getting tired of SS. I've been stuck on my lifts this month and I think I'm ready for something new. Should I move on to the upper/lower body split workout in the OP or should I stick with SS for a couple more months? I started SS in mid January fyi.

My PRs so far (in lbs)
Squat 250 3x5
Bench Press 185 3x5
Deadlift 275 (had to deload from 290) 1x5
OHP 135 3x5
Power Cleans 155 5x3

Impressive numbers for only half a year.

You might try looking into Strong Lifts 5x5. I stalled on SS for a few months and decided to give it a go. Did a huge deload and got started myself last Saturday.

Definitely worth looking into, and since you're a fast gainer, I think you might do well on it. It's free, has a good website and smartphone app, and a pretty large group of people on the program.

How tall/heavy are you?
6'1 202 lbs

You might try looking into Strong Lifts 5x5. I stalled on SS for a few months and decided to give it a go. Did a huge deload and got started myself last Saturday.

Definitely worth looking into, and since you're a fast gainer, I think you might do well on it. It's free, has a good website and smartphone app, and a pretty large group of people on the program.

I actually just downloaded the app while searching for other programs. Might give it a go.

Should I start with the weight I'm on in SS? Or should I lower a little bit since 5x5 might wear me out?

Leeness

go eat and sleep. your night is donezo!

fkZkROy.jpg

Omnomnom.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
6'1 202 lbs

I actually just downloaded the app while searching for other programs. Might give it a go.

Should I start with the weight I'm on in SS? Or should I lower a little bit since 5x5 might wear me out?

I think it definitely depends, but I thought it would be best to drop the weight considerably while I acclimated myself to the program. 5x5 is going to be harder than the 3x5 of SS.

I dropped each of my lifts down to about 60~70% of where I was plateauing with Starting Strength. Maybe I should have gone even further, but the first two workouts have been easy.

I'm really hoping this will get my through those plateaus so I can see some more gains.

despire

I'd recommend Greyskull LP since it's more of an advanced beginner program whereas SL5x5 isn't really all that dissimilar to SS if you're already plateaud on the latter one.

SS -> GSLP -> Intermediate program

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kinda random, but did we piss off Noema or something? He still posts, just not around here anymore. :(

Like with fitness in real life, people fall off, sometimes permanently, sometimes temporarily. Very few ever actually stick with it for a long period of time. Same thing happens in this thread.

I'd like to think he still lifts, he just doesn't post much anymore.

Stannis

Snatch grip high pulls are truth, nothing makes my traps and upper back scream the next day like that lift does. I've only been doing them for three or so months but already I have some nice "yoke" development happening. This is from someone with very average trap genetics.

Just make sure you grip the bar as wide as you can.

siddhu33

Leg day today...pretty good to be fair. Hit 1x5 110kg (240lb) on deadlift...could have maybe done more, but decided to call it a day, still had other exercises to do.

So at what weight, or point, is it a good idea to use a lifting belt?

I'm thinking about a routine that concists of one week with a daily focus on the biggest muscle groups. For example: Mondays = back, wednesdays = legs and etc. The second week would concist of a whole body routine. Is this doable?

And does anyone have a whole body routine that you could do? I can train about 3-4 days a week.

despire

I'm thinking about a routine that concists of one week with a daily focus on the biggest muscle groups. For example: Mondays = back, wednesdays = legs and etc. The second week would concist of a whole body routine. Is this doable?

And does anyone have a whole body routine that you could do? I can train about 3-4 days a week.

Any particular reason you wanna do a split on one week and full body the next?

Also for (full body) routines check the OP.

Any particular reason you wanna do a split on one week and full body the next?

Also for (full body) routines check the OP.

Mostly so I won't get bored. I like to change things up. I did a full body routine a while back, but it gets tedious. And sometimes it just feels good to really work a big muscle group.

Irobot82

I cant tell if you're doing low or high bar squats but if you're doing low bar then you don't have to squat that low. Just hit a little bit below parallel.

I switched to a low bar squat and I am working on learning the movement. Wednesday I'll record my back as well. I'm not even sure I have the bar positioned correctly. How do you know when to stop, I always just went down until I couldn't and bounce back up.

I switched to a low bar squat and I am working on learning the movement. Wednesday I'll record my back as well. I'm not even sure I have the bar positioned correctly. How do you know when to stop, I always just went down until I couldn't and bounce back up.
I use the calf slighty touching the bottom hamstring cue...

I think I have similar trap genetics to Tom Hardy. They have always grown without any effort (although I have been doing snatch grip high pulls for about a year). They are certainly my favourite aspect of my physique.

Props brotherjackdood. Real solid development in the traps and everywhere else for that matter. Keep it up!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I wish I could trade some of my lat mass for trap mass. My lats grow easier than anything else.

Did deadlifts at the gym again last night and went for 1 rep of 305 for the first time (did 300 last week for the first time). Made it, attempted 310 and failed miserably. If it weren't for the fact that I'm on a cut I'd say I'll be deadlifting 3 plates by the end of the month. Nice to know I'm that close though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda random, but did we piss off Noema or something? He still posts, just not around here anymore. :(

I miss him too. He's a wealth of knowledge and was always looking to help people. Can never have enough people like that.

MISS YOU NOEMA

What is your set/rep scheme for the snatch grip high pulls? Since I'm concerned about size, I'm thinking 12 reps, sets of 4. Or is this wrong?

I think I have similar trap genetics to Tom Hardy. They have always grown without any effort (although I have been doing snatch grip high pulls for about a year). They are certainly my favourite aspect of my physique.

Actually, I think your entire build and muscle shape is very similar to Tom Hardy.

SeanR1221

Also, I thought I was out of the "I want to look like _____" game until I saw the guy who plays the mountain on Game of Thrones.

sufzba5pqqupacgsnwrw.png

Dream build right there. Dude eats 10,000 calories!

Hayvic

Hey fitgaf,

As some of you may recall I am new. However I would still like to contribute. I am going to do this by providing you with a delicious protein rich lunch recipe that is very easy to make.

You're gonna be needing some chicken breast fillets, some flower, and an egg.

Slice the chicken fillet to make it a bit thinner.

Salt the chicken and poor some flower on both sides.

Kill the egg and mix it up in a plate. Soak the chicken in the egg. Make sure there is egg on both sides.

Now put it in a pan with medium to high fire. You'll need a decent amount of oil in there. You almost want to deep fry it.

5-7 minutes for both sides depending on the thickness. You can cut one to know for sure if it's done.

Enjoy! Serve with bread and lettuce and any condiment that you like. You can even promote it to a good diner if you serve it with for example potatoes and broccoli.

Stannis

What is your set/rep scheme for the snatch grip high pulls? Since I'm concerned about size, I'm thinking 12 reps, sets of 4. Or is this wrong?

I do 5 sets of 3-5 reps. Pick a weight then start out doing 3 reps, then over time as you get stronger 4 reps then 5 reps. Then I up the weight go back to 3 reps and start the cycle again. This is what works for me.

I remember that t-nation article mentioning that for most males form goes out the window when trying to go above 5 reps. That's certainly true for me.

Hey fitgaf,

As some of you may recall I am new. However I would still like to contribute. I am going to do this by providing you with a delicious protein rich lunch recipe that is very easy to make.

Kill the egg and mix it up in a plate. Soak the chicken in the egg. Make sure there is egg on both sides.

Now put it in a pan with medium to high fire. You'll need a decent amount of oil in there. You almost want to deep fry it.

5-7 minutes for both sides depending on the thickness. You can cut one to know for sure if it's done.

Enjoy! Serve with bread and lettuce and any condiment that you like. You can even promote it to a good diner if you serve it with for example potatoes and broccoli.

Good post! I would love for more Gaffers to share their recipes/cooking tips.

SeanR1221

Hey fitgaf,

Making this tonight

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hey fitgaf,

Don't get me wrong, it looks delicious but I'm just running to Raising Cain's if I want fried chicken.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong, it looks delicious but I'm just running to Raising Cain's if I want fried chicken.

btw I went there the other day for the first time. It's really goddamn good, I was impressed. Ate 6 pieces. $10ish. Coke Zero. Good times.

I felt so bad for the poor girl on the headset though. "Chicken chicken chicken! What combo are you pickin?"

Cooter

btw I went there the other day for the first time. It's really goddamn good, I was impressed. Ate 6 pieces. $10ish. Coke Zero. Good times.

I felt so bad for the poor girl on the headset though. "Chicken chicken chicken! What combo are you pickin?"
So good. Hope you enjoyed your 78 grams of protein and 780 calories of bliss.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So good. Hope you enjoyed your 78 grams of protein and 780 calories of bliss.

I sure did. Been considering going back there and stripping the chicken bare. It was really goddamn good. They even gave me a dog treat because I had my Beagle in the car with me!

Cooter

I sure did. Been considering going back there and stripping the chicken bare. It was really goddamn good. They even gave me a dog treat because I had my Beagle in the car with me!
I had a beagle growing up. Hi five! Such sweet dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom