• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Water retention.

I forgot to take my creatine yesterday and I barely drank any water. Which caused my to retain every drop I drank.

try savage jerky. their siracha bacon is dope af

Can't seem to get it in the UK, might get expensive importing it. ;)

I know that feel about forgetting a creatine dose. I usually double up the next day.

Depending on your daily dosage, that might not work anyway. There's a limit to how much you can absorb over a short period.

That aside, it would take about a month for your body's creatine levels to drop to normal (edit - un-supplemented). Missing a day really isn't worth worrying about.

Depending on your daily dosage, that might not work anyway. There's a limit to how much you can absorb over a short period.

That aside, it would take about a month for your body's creatine levels to drop to normal (edit - un-supplemented). Missing a day really isn't worth worrying about.
So it might just be wise to not double down when i miss a dose so that I don't waste creatine? Sounds good to me

ILoveBish

I know that feel about forgetting a creatine dose. I usually double up the next day.

I rarely miss a day, but every single time I miss one day, I gain at least 2 to 4lbs overnight. I'll do a tad more then my usual today.

Right. All the research I did for creatine suggested the same. But real life wise, missing a day tends to have the same outcome every time for me. Weird.

Azulsky

Water weight bounce is a crazy beast.

A few weekends ago I ate Pho(well, Bun Bo Hue) and then the next day ate Which Wich lettuce wrap double meat sandwich, which probably totalled up to 5k sodium in a 24 hour period.

Took about a week to come back down, didnt really impede my overall results.

Food question.

Going to attempt to go to gym before work. This means I basically am going to get up and within 30 minutes be at the gym. Aside from my preworkout and vitamins, wtf should I eat in that short of a timespan that wont eff me up? No i cannot get up earlier this is already 0400

Well... I tend to take mine with about 800ml of water, which I'd wager would have some sort of effect. More than that though, if the body is expecting something, I wouldn't be surprised if it being missing causes some sort of a response too.

Going to attempt to go to gym before work. This means I basically am going to get up and within 30 minutes be at the gym. Aside from my preworkout and vitamins, wtf should I eat in that short of a timespan that wont eff me up? No i cannot get up earlier this is already 0400

Coffee, BCAA and work out fasted. It'll feel strange at first, but it's easy after a few sessions.

The only thing I'd consider eating that close to a workout is an energy gel (or equivalent).

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Fucking fried...

Had hay fever last night and didn't sleep with the dry coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Went to the gym four hours after waking up feeling weak as shit. Progress to get my strength back has been slow. I got up to 405 2x5 and decided to add volume instead and hit 315 2x20, wanted 3 sets but was just too exhausted.

BumRush

Fucking fried...

Had hay fever last night and didn't sleep with the dry coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Went to the gym four hours after waking up feeling weak as shit. Progress to get my strength back has been slow. I got up to 405 2x5 and decided to add volume instead and hit 315 2x20, wanted 3 sets but was just too exhausted.

...in what lift?

Azulsky

Coffee, BCAA and work out fasted. It'll feel strange at first, but it's easy after a few sessions.

The only thing I'd consider eating that close to a workout is an energy gel (or equivalent).

I think Ill add some BCAA's to my preworkout(ON Gold). Probably move my usual early morning vitamins to a later time as well.

Just cant see lifting eating something that close to eating.

mdsfx

HR5LbnV.jpg

"You had to order this many shoes?"
"Yeah, I'm returning or selling the ones I don't like. I need to find the right pair."

(One week later...)

"Why do you still have 3 pairs of new running shoes?"
"I sold the ones I didn't like."
" ... "

I never ask for permission. Thank god she puts up with me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Can you get jerky in the UK? I've literally never seen it

Yeah, here and there. Even sometimes in supermarkets, though it doesn't tend to be very good.

Edit - Or maybe it's all like that, and it's just generally nasty. ;)

yogloo

If coffee aggravates your stomach, a pre workout will probably annihilate it. Pre workouts contain a few ingredients on top of caffeine, often including beta-alanine, creatine, and sometimes even pepper extract.

Add some heavy cream or half-and-half. Based on what I discussed with my coworker, the acidity of the coffee might be messing with your stomach so adding either of those two should neutralize the coffee. Normally I would have the runs after drinking coffee but I've been drinking bulletproof coffee the last week or so and had no problems.

Lower the weight and get used to it. Build pain tolerance and also to get used to it.
Damn .I guess I will stick with coffee then.

ILoveBish

Took my brother to the gym to show him how to do the main compounds and even with the 4.5lbs overnight gain, i hit the 9th belt hole on my gym belt. Pretty amazing considering less the a year ago (much less) I started on the 2nd or 3rd belt hole.

Slowly but surely we're getting there.

mdsfx

Took my brother to the gym to show him how to do the main compounds and even with the 4.5lbs overnight gain, i hit the 9th belt hole on my gym belt. Pretty amazing considering less the a year ago (much less) I started on the 2nd or 3rd belt hole.

Nice!!

Sadetar

My sister got me a jerky making kit for my bday. More to come.
There is a kit for that? Have you tried it already? :p

All that sounds pretty awesome. You have come a long way.

Welcome back, Sadetar. Good to hear you are back to the gym and making progress with your recovery too.

Sunday is my leg day so did some squats today. I wish I could quote ILoveBish and say that I felt strong but never have that feeling when I'm squatting. I did three sets of five with 120 kg (265 lb) and was barely able to make the last rep on my third set. This cut is killing my squat numbers and it probably wasn't that wise to do my first rollerblading session (ca 7 miles) in two years yesterday evening. Would have probably felt much fresher today without that even though I didn't go that fast. Well, at least my weight is going down. I was 101,6 kg (224 lb) this morning which means I'm only 1,6 kg from my minimum goal and still have four weeks left to cut.
Awww, thanks dear.

Good to hear that you are doing so well! I am sure you will cut way more than your goal weight if you keep doing what you are doing. :D

Chocobro

Leeness

Hi again everyone.

So my little apartment gym has a bench, but no squat rack. I'm going to get a key and mostly try to improvise for Starting Strength. I know it's really not ideal but I just don't have the money for a gym right now. :p

Can anyone think of the best way for me to improvise when doing squats? I'm going to see tomorrow if maybe the bench will move back a little bit so there is a place to rest the barbell between squats.

I'm going to read the wiki tonight and watch some videos on form.

Also, to be clear since I haven't seen it yet... Do you do all of the reps and sets for one exercise first, or do a circuit? I have a feeling I know, but I want to be sure.

BumRush

Aiming for 1lb a week

Eat clean, don't overdo it with cardio or caloric deficit, keep lifting heavy. I'd get my cardio from supersets and drop sets, not from adding too much running, biking, etc. You'll lose some muscle but way more fat if you do it right.

Hi again everyone.

Also, to be clear since I haven't seen it yet... Do you do all of the reps and sets for one exercise first, or do a circuit? I have a feeling I know, but I want to be sure.

Finish an entire exercise before moving on to the next one.

Also, I would be really careful doing SS squats without the proper rack.

Leeness

Finish an entire exercise before moving on to the next one.

Also, I would be really careful doing SS squats without the proper rack.

I actually JUST found the answer to my question and was coming here to erase it. :) Thank you for beating me to it anyway!

I know... I'm definitely going to take it slowly and carefully, even though it's not ideal. I'm going to experiment and see if there are places I can rest the barbell in between, or maybe I can move the bench and will have a pseudo-rack. I'm going to see tomorrow what I can come up with, and will careful doing it.

Sadetar

Hi again everyone.

So my little apartment gym has a bench, but no squat rack. I'm going to get a key and mostly try to improvise for Starting Strength. I know it's really not ideal but I just don't have the money for a gym right now. :p

Can anyone think of the best way for me to improvise when doing squats? I'm going to see tomorrow if maybe the bench will move back a little bit so there is a place to rest the barbell between squats.

I'm going to read the wiki tonight and watch some videos on form.

Hi there sweetie! I haven't seen you in a while and I am very happy to see you back here! With SS and time I am sure you can change your whole body composition. :) Good for you!

If you really need to improvise the squats, I would say that check out goblet squat.

Not yet, but I promise I'll let you know when I do!

Glad you're on the road to recovery by the way!!!
I am waiting for your review. :p

And thank you! I couldn't be happier. :D I am being hopeful. Also I was damn lucky to get two neurosurgeons to actually talk about everything. Both said that it is better not to cut it now but see that can it actually heal since it looks like it even though it shouldn't. ^_^

Ventara

Nooo! I just found out cheese is really high in calories. Well, I guess it's not that surprising, but I love cheese, and it's gonna be a hard blow to cut it out of my diet. :(

BumRush

Nooo! I just found out cheese is really high in calories. Well, I guess it's not that surprising, but I love cheese, and it's gonna be a hard blow to cut it out of my diet. :(

Then don't. Have it in moderation (a slice of swiss has about 100 calories). Don't do anything on this diet that causes misery or the diet won't work.

entremet

Cheese is roughly 100 calories per ounce. A ounce of cheese is a lot actually.

I've lost 15 pounds, while fitting in 2oz of cheese per day--sharp cheddar to be exact.

I started with keto and now just counting calories. You can still enjoy your cheese, just measure and enjoy it as a after meal snack.

Don't drown stuff in cheese.

Ventara

Then don't. Have it in moderation (a slice of swiss has about 100 calories). Don't do anything on this diet that causes misery or the diet won't work.

I suppose. I just love piling some shredded marble on a burger/sandwich. It's great with crackers, too. It's a staple. I'll just have to be careful.

Cheese is roughly 100 calories per ounce. A ounce of cheese is a lot actually.

I've lost 15 pounds, while fitting in 2oz of cheese per day--sharp cheddar to be exact.

I started with keto and now just counting calories. You can still enjoy your cheese, just measure and enjoy it as a after meal snack.

Don't drown stuff in cheese.

I guess I'll look into alternative cheeses as to the one I have. The one I have is 120 calories for a 1/4" cube (30g, though it really doesn't feel like it).

entremet

I suppose. I just love piling some shredded marble on a burger/sandwich. It's great with crackers, too. It's a staple. I'll just have to be careful.

I guess I'll look into alternative cheeses as to the one I have. The one I have is 120 calories for a 1/4" cube (30g, though it really doesn't feel like it).

That' sounds about right roughly. 100-120 per ounce. 30 grams is a 1 ounce if you're on metric.

I find low fat cheese vile, myself. So I just calorie count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom