• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

yeah, get a scale. a digital one.

This is one good. It's the one I have.

It really makes a huge difference with calorie counting.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

After awhile you can eyeball stuff.

I don't need to measure cheese anymore.

Yeah, I'll probably buy one tomorrow. I used to have one and have been looking for it for the past few days, but no luck. I'll probably find it a month after I buy the new one.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
225 lbs. on my deadlift today. UNF!

2ggiymE.gif

Leeness

Hi there sweetie! I haven't seen you in a while and I am very happy to see you back here! With SS and time I am sure you can change your whole body composition. :) Good for you!

If you really need to improvise the squats, I would say that check out goblet squat.

Hi :)

Ah! That's a good idea. I'll give the squats a try normally tomorrow and if it seems like it's going to end up being a bad idea, I'll do goblet squats. :) Thanks for the thought!

You're seeing neurosurgeons for your back now?

thefit

Nooo! I just found out cheese is really high in calories. Well, I guess it's not that surprising, but I love cheese, and it's gonna be a hard blow to cut it out of my diet. :(

Cheese isn't an issue I'm also lactose intolerant so not eating it isn't an issue. So having said that I'm looking to start taking a protein supplement and I need one that isn't going to give me the shits. I've only ever done the nitro creatine way back in the late 90's and early 2000's when I lifted and I loved the results but I need something for growth now. I'm back in my routine with daily cardio and weight training and I am extremely surprised at how quick my body got used to exercise again hell I thought I was going to tire myself to death but instead its quick started my metabolism again and I'm anything but tired. Any suggestions?

I had nearly 100g of cheese last night. I was just a touch short on my protein and fat and had some calories to spare so I thought fuck it, why not.

Delicious.

Edit - Oh, and for the hell of it I skipped my creatine yesterday to see what would happen. No noticeable change in my weight (within 100g of yesterday's measurement).

mdsfx

Up on time, light traffic, at the gym early, pre-workout is kicking in, and there is only one other person here.

"Kid in a candy store" couldn't describe this situation any better.

Now to test my bench numbers...

mdsfx

It's at this point mdsfx realised that the other dude couldn't spot for shit.

/neckcrushed
Lol yeah I always use the safety bars on the Smith (not using the guided bar though). If I drop the bar it is literally a half inch from my neck... *gulp*

Edit: 185x5 and 205x3 both felt pretty good. Dare I try 225?

mdsfx

230 or nothing!

I don't know how weight ranges work in lbs!

Haha well your comment made me thrown on an extra 5 pounds (you can see the 2.5s dangling on the ends) and I BARELY got it up. You can also see my left arm reconsidering the challenge.

Hey... Ive never actually done 230! :)

Faiz

Words can't express how I hate 5's week right after a deload. It had been three cycles (so 9 weeks) since the last deload and I was feeling rough so I needed it, but, while I felt rested and healed, just didn't feel strong. Barely got up 250x5 on the last set (squats).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Up on time, light traffic, at the gym early, pre-workout is kicking in, and there is only one other person here.

"Kid in a candy store" couldn't describe this situation any better.

Now to test my bench numbers...

Dude, dude. This is the perfect time to curl in the squat rack without consequences!

Azulsky

Zero Dark Thirty weightlifting is some crazy stuff.

Might try adding some kind of quick carb to preworkout, felt pretty dead. Although it was leg day and it was mostly a full pyramid superset.

Ventara

made some protein cheesecake, i really love this stuff

I love cheesecake AND I need protein! I definitely have to check out this recipe later.

Cheese isn't an issue I'm also lactose intolerant so not eating it isn't an issue. So having said that I'm looking to start taking a protein supplement and I need one that isn't going to give me the shits. I've only ever done the nitro creatine way back in the late 90's and early 2000's when I lifted and I loved the results but I need something for growth now. I'm back in my routine with daily cardio and weight training and I am extremely surprised at how quick my body got used to exercise again hell I thought I was going to tire myself to death but instead its quick started my metabolism again and I'm anything but tired. Any suggestions?

I know you were probably asking the other guys, but just in case; I'm just learning to count calories, so I got nothing for you. I don't even know what creatine is. Sorry. :(

ILoveBish

Only 3 hours of sleep today, should be a fun one. It's deload week at least.

Words can't express how I hate 5's week right after a deload. It had been three cycles (so 9 weeks) since the last deload and I was feeling rough so I needed it, but, while I felt rested and healed, just didn't feel strong. Barely got up 250x5 on the last set (squats).

5s week is always the most rough week on 531 for me. The last few reps can be menacing. But you just have to do it.

is that actually any good? A lot of the recipes on that site that I've tried turn out like fairly standard muscle food. Macrotastic, but really not high on the enjoyability scale.

mdsfx

My wife recently made a cheesecake using cream cheese and sugar free jello. It was pretty damn good. Will have to ask her for the recipe and check out the nutritional numbers.

Thanks for the link! I am liking what I see in the nutrient info. Is protein powder something I can find at my grocery store, or do I have to look at my local drug store for that?

You should be able to but the quality of the protein powder will impact how the cheesecake will taste.

is that actually any good? A lot of the recipes on that site that I've tried turn out like fairly standard muscle food. Macrotastic, but really not high on the enjoyability scale.

I've had non fitness people love it. I think it tastes great. Non muscle foody.

Chocobro

On the other hand, I'm looking for recipes with a ton of fat instead of protein lol. I hit my protein macro easily.

Fat bomb is already on the list.

Ventara

You should be able to but the quality of the protein powder will impact how the cheesecake will taste.

Any particular brand I should look for?

On the other hand, I'm looking for recipes with a ton of fat instead of protein lol. I hit my protein macro easily.

Really? I've just started calorie counting, so I'm not minding my carb/fat/protein intake too closely, but I always hit it or go over pretty easily. Avocado and butter are two things I noticed are really high in fat.

Chocobro

Ugh, fat... my eternal struggle:

Fat Vs Calories...Round 1...FIGHT

Yep... I recall you're on low-carb a few pages ago, right? I started two weeks ago. ~95g net carbs, 160g protein, and about 190g fat. I need to readjust my meal plan to have about 140g protein and about 204+g fat. Too much protein for my current BW; will adjust as I gain weight.

Really? I've just started calorie counting, so I'm not minding my carb/fat/protein intake too closely, but I always hit it or go over pretty easily. Avocado and butter are two things I noticed are really high in fat.
Yeah. This is my meal plan; I make meal plans and do all the calculations beforehand instead of traditional IIFYM and eat and whatever as you go. Going to remove most of the bacon I eat for breakfast and add a bit of butter. Looking to add a fat bomb for dessert with dinner. I haven't posted here about my nutrition, but I was on a high-carb diet and I was pretty miserable for a good portion of the five months. Felt hungry all the time so I had to snack often. Switching to a low-carb diet is more for me. With breakfast around 6:30am, I can last until 2-3pm whereas on the high-carb diet, I would get hungry around 10. No more snacking. Less cooking time. More tasty food.

mdsfx

Yep... I recall you're on low-carb a few pages ago, right? I started two weeks ago. ~95g net carbs, 160g protein, and about 190g fat. I need to readjust my meal plan to have about 140g protein and about 204+g fat. Too much protein for my current BW; will adjust as I gain weight.
Its really tough for me on a cut. 90g fat is 810 calories, more than half of my daily calories. I just feel like you don't get much of a "full" feeling per calorie from it compared to protein/carbs.

Adding a 1oz serving (110 calories) of cheese to a meal feels like a waste of calories sometimes. 1tbs olive oil? 100 calories gone. 1 tbs peanut butter? 100 calories gone.

It's just a food quantity issue for me :(

Chocobro

Its really tough for me on a cut. 90g fat is 810 calories, more than half of my daily calories. I just feel like you don't get much of a "full" feeling per calorie from it compared to protein/carbs.

Adding a 1oz serving (110 calories) of cheese to a meal feels like a waste of calories sometimes. 1tbs olive oil? 100 calories gone. 1 tbs peanut butter? 100 calories gone.

It's just a good quantity issue for me :(

More than half your calories? Christ lol. My maintenance with my current activity is around 2650-2700 calories. So it would be like 2300-2500 calories on a cut for me. But if I decide to cut, I would probably try keto since my net carb intake is relatively close (compared to moderate or high-carb) to their cutoff of 25-35g net carbs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, add tennis elbow to the list of injuries I've learned/learning to deal with. I think I have a handle on it. Not sure though. It's been bad enough at times for me to feel like my arm should be in a sling. Been going on since before my strongman comp.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haha well your comment made me thrown on an extra 5 pounds (you can see the 2.5s dangling on the ends) and I BARELY got it up. You can also see my left arm reconsidering the challenge.

Hey... Ive never actually done 230! :)

Jesus Christ, you're strong. My bench has always been terrible.

BumRush

Pork ribs, in the slow cooker with 1 bottle of ketchub and 1 bottle of grape jelly. That's it.

SO FUCKING GOOD.

Well, add tennis elbow to the list of injuries I've learned/learning to deal with. I think I have a handle on it. Not sure though. It's been bad enough at times for me to feel like my arm should be in a sling. Been going on since before my strongman comp.

The week break did nothing for it??

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That sucks. And it's not like any exercise doesn't use your elbow.

Maybe just RICE every time you finish lifting?

Cut the ingredients in half. Not the ribs. Don't cut the ribs.

I rolled the shit out of my forearms and Tricep insertions at the elbow and do a wall stretch with palm supinated fingertips down pressed against the wall Palm flat against it arm locked straight out then turn away and hold for 30 seconds. It's helped immensely.

Gonna train log and circus dumbbell today.

Pork ribs, in the slow cooker with 1 bottle of ketchub and 1 bottle of grape jelly. That's it.

SO FUCKING GOOD.

The week break did nothing for it??

Ketchub should be a word, primarily for use when ketchup, applied liberally, causes unexpected stimulation.

And with that out of my system, I've decided to get the 11MM Inzer Lever Belt. Thanks to those that chimed in. I couldn't help myself and got the Red, White, and Blue version though. Every time I squat/dead an eagle will shed a tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom